Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics

Hamburger
2007/06/20 18:56:39
Took a drive up to Baltimore, Md for a few hours on the weekend of June 9, 2007 to see the aquarium. After all I had heard about Faidley's Seafood/Crabcakes - I figured that it was a must try so that I can see what all the talk was about.

We arrived at the Lexington Market where Faidley's is located - it's definitely a unique area

The neon sign - lite in all it's glory!

Here's the raw bar which is really just a little "island" in the middle of the whole Faidley's seafood market itself - I didn't order anything from the bar

Waiting in line for a taste of Faidley's famous crab cakes!

One of Faidley's many awards - I thought that this one was particularly interesting

They seem to have some rules - this is one of them

Just a pic of the take-out menu that I grabbed while in line

Finally two of the "All Lump" crab cakes at roughly $13/piece

Now I'm about to finally taste this amazing looking crab cake

You can clearly see that this is truely an "All Lump" crab cake, the only "filler" it seemed to have is mayo, mustard, seasonings along with maybe a few other ingredients but that was about it.

Overall it was definitely one of the best crab cakes that I've ever eaten - I'm still not sure if it's the best but I'd still recommend it and when I'm back in the area would definitely go back to sample it again or maybe one of their other crab cakes or other seafood. It was definitely a large portion, I mean it better be for the price. I did feel pretty stuffed after I was finished but that was probably due to the fact that I had a rather big breakfast that morning. Definitely a "roadfood" place not to be missed!

jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/20 20:23:59
Nice set of pictures. Looks like a cool place!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/20 21:18:01

The food is great...My only negative comment is that there is no where to SIT. Eating standing up might be ok for a three bite Hot Dog, but a $13 Crab Cake needs to be savored.
Nice Photos , You captured the place very well.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/20 21:33:38
Loved your post and the pictures..............true roadfood at ait's best. Next time, be sure and go over to the raw bar and have some excellent oysters, as well as listening to the "shuckers" who have worked there forever and take so much pride in their work.
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/20 21:56:55
We're really looking forward to going back to Faidley's in september. Since our last visit, I've fallen in love with oysters so I'll have some with the crabcakes.
We plan on hitting G& M as well. Anyone been to Gunnings' or Phillips'? We'd appreciate input. Thanks.

P.S. I could eat about 4 of those, thank you!
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/21 13:43:57
Phillip's is super-touristy and nowhere near as good as Faidleys IMO. I've not been to G&M in over a year but have read that it's going downhill for longer than that. I always had excellent crabcakes there so maybe I was just lucky. I'd still try G&M based on my past success. Gunning's was okay crabcake wise, but was very smokey so I've never been back.

Thanks,

Kevin
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/21 18:51:14
Great Report.

I've been to Faidley's. I thought it was ok. G & M definetely blows Faidley's out of the water. I find it hard to believe that it could go down hill and I usually don't believe everything I read.
I've been to Gunnings too, although it's been awhile (back in 2000). They had a great Crab Fluff Sandwich, however their "famous" pepper rings were dissapointing. Raw Green Peppers encased in luke warm (actually room temperature) fried dough
KOK
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/22 15:13:03
I agree with you that G&M is better than Faidley's. At least it has always been excellent on all my visits, even the ones I made after reading many post on the CH site that G&M was tanking. There's one poster on CH who seemingly would rather die than eat at G&M.

I'll have to go back asap for one of those softball sized cakes that have never been anything but great to me, so I can see what's what at G&M.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/23 09:43:44
G&M can go way downhill and still be well above the others! Those are some outstanding cakes, even the ones I order on line and devour here in North Carolina.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/23 10:40:31
Since our experience with Crabcakes is a bit limited, I will say that I like the product at both locations very much, but give the edge to G & M. Not only were the crabcakes outstanding, but I am NOT comfortable trying to eat a meal standing up as is the venue at Faidley's. A three-bite Hot Dog Maybe, but not a large crabcake. That's something to be enjoyed bite-by-bite not wolfed down between innings at a ball-game !
joanie41
Cheeseburger
RE: Trip Report - Baltimore, Md - Faidley's w/Pics 2007/06/23 20:21:51
I've eaten at G&M many times, and the crabcake is quite good. However, I liked Faidleys better when I had it a few years ago; it was somehow "juicier" than the sometimes dry G&M product. I haven't had a Faidley's crabcake recently, and I work a block away, so one of these days, I'll have to pony up the $13 and try it again. I would probably just get it to go and take it back to my office...easier than eating at the Market.