Hot!Ginger Ale Brands

Junior Burger
2007/06/21 22:30:55
I'm trying to remember the Brand of Ginger Ale I used to get out of a Vending Machine in the Fort Ritchie Support Company Barracks between 1983 -1986 ... I think I would remember the Name if I Saw it. I've been able to find some pretty obscure info on the internet but I've seached many times for the name of the Ginger Ale and I can't find it. I've only seen it in cans and only in that one particular Vending Machine ... Ive been away from Ft Ritchie for over 20 years now and I don't know if they still make it. I remember the Can being All White except the Brand Logo. Ft.Ritchie is in Cascade Maryland on the Maryland -Pennsylvania Border ... I know it's a longshot but the people here at Roadfood.com seems to have covered almost everyfood related subject under the sun... so this is my best shot. IF you don't know the specific Brand I'm looking for just list brands of Ginger Ale and hopefully eventually it will sow up on someones list. Thanks
Mark in VT
Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/21 22:41:01
My favorite obscure Ginger Ale is Vernor's. Can't get it here in Vt, so I pay through the nose to get it shipped !
GWCS555
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 00:02:24
Even though it's in L.A. (Pasadena) you might want to check out

http://www.sodapopstop.com/

Just click to enter store

Subliminal Endorphin
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 10:41:15
Thanks for your Help... So far none of those are the ones I'm looking for ... Unless theres a complete list of all Ginger Ale brands ever produced (Or a Time Machine) I'm probably never gonna Find it.
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 10:54:23
Me and my workmates have a different soda tasting every couple of months (or more often if something new comes on the market). So far we've done colas, grape, orange, cream soda, root beer (a two-parter)and orange creams. Next week we are having a ginger ale taste test with twelve different brands we found around the greater MD/PA/VA area. They are:

Seagram’s
White Rock
Rock Creek
Suburban Club
Schweppes
Dr. Brown’s
Canada Dry
A-Treat
Reed’s
Old Dominion
Boylan’s
Vernor’s

Maybe one of these names will jog your memory. Unfortunately, none of them come in a white can, but they may have back in the 80's. Give the bevboard at www.bevnet.com a try or www.salutetosoda.com. They may be able to steer you right.
hep2thejive
Hamburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 11:29:50
Carver's?
Northern Neck?
pigface
Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 13:21:46
Ale-8-1 (eastern KY)??
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 13:28:01
I love Vernor's! Any time I go to Michigan, I always bring back a case. I have also hooekd several others on the stuff.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 13:34:19
The best ginger ale I've ever had is Blenheim, bottled in Hamer, S.C. pb
http://theacf.com/blenheim/
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/22 13:59:08
Probably not what you are looking for in Maryland, but here's a good one. Spicy.

http://www.buffalorock.com/products/gingerale.html
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/24 15:44:15
Could it have been Shasta? I remember back when I was a kid, most of the bases I lived on had Shasta in the on base vending machines.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/24 17:59:22
My guess: White Rock.
Subliminal Endorphin
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/24 22:55:40
I've found 109 Brands Ginger Ale on the Internet... None of them ring a Bell... I've looked at pics of the Bottles/cans of most of them on the Google Image Search... Still no luck... I know can and bottle and label designs change over time but the only way I can be positive if I see a pic of the Can ...It was a Solid White Can with a Logo of the Ginger ale... Most Ginger Ale Cans are Green. It was a very strong Ginger Ale... One Drink at a Time, Lots of Burn on the way down... The VEnding Machine had a few fruit flavors but I dont remember them either ...I dont think there was a Cola in the Machine.. I've spent the last few days reading almost every site I can find with the words ginger ale in the Google Search Engine. I'll keep looking, but thanks for your help... Inthe mean time I'll try some of the ones you all suggested.
kb612
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/24 23:34:04
Frank's golden ginger ale, maybe? Frank's of Philadelphia made a pale-dry that was conventional and good, and a golden that was sharper, though not as subtle as Vernor's.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/24 23:36:09
How about checking soda can collection web sites that have pictures?

Such as: http://home.comcast.net/~collectiblesodacans/NewCollection/index.htm

That might get you back closer to the mid-80s.
ghcornwell
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/25 10:36:31
Ale 8 One. Native to the Bluegrass State. Preferably in long neck bottles.

Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/25 11:20:51
Lenape beverages in Latrobe PA made a pretty good ginger ale, simple logo and no frills packaging.

Tom
porkbeaks
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/25 12:55:54
How about this?

Subliminal Endorphin
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 08:22:20
So Far none of the Suggested Brands is the One ... I Bought some Vernors yesterday and tried it... it is very Mild compared to the One I remember... The Brand I'm looking For is so Strong the Average person probably couldnt take more that one drink at a time before the burn kicks in... I can take 5 big swallows of Vernors before feelng any effect at all. Ive Tried the Supermarket Brands and Canada Dry , Seagrams, Schwepps ...all these are very Mild compared to the Brand I'm trying to remember. BUt thanks for the Help and I'll Keep searching.
hep2thejive
Hamburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 08:26:44
Perhaps it was ginger beer and not ginger ale?
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 10:21:19
Pangleheimer's, out of Charlotte, NC makes a good hot ginger ale that will get your attention.

http://www.pangleheimers.com/
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 11:33:46
Well GordonW I just emailed Pangleheimer's to find out if they can ship some Diet Ginger Ale. I used to be able buy Blenheim's direct but that doesn't seem possible any longer and who knows, I may like this one better. Thanks for the link.
Mike

Well they have excellent customer service but it was all bad news. They can sell out of state wholesale only, so I'm SOL unless some distributer reads this and tries carrying it near here. With all the new found love of things hot and spicy maybe I'll see it locally some day.

They also make a blush that sounds like the drink (both regular and diet) might taste like Concord grapes which really sounds wonderful. OK no hijacking any threads for me, back to Ginger Ale.
Subliminal Endorphin
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 19:17:05
Wooohooo ..I Found it ... actually TreetopTom had it listed a Few Posts ago and It Sounded like Suburban might be the one but now I have confirmed it ... If you're looking for Soda Brands the"MOTHER LOAD" can be found at
http://www.gono.com/soda%20cans/key%20soda%20cans.htm

Suburban was bottled/canned in Baltimore ... the logo is a Man swinging a Golf Club, Although the Can has changed Designs over the years as all brands usually do.
Pool Boy
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/28 22:23:57
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in VT

My favorite obscure Ginger Ale is Vernor's. Can't get it here in Vt, so I pay through the nose to get it shipped !

I think Vernor's is too sweet.

There's a brand sold at Whole Foods that is wonderfully gingery, but I can't remember the name of it. Can anyone help me out? I love that stuff!

ocdreamr
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/29 22:40:16
quote:
Originally posted by Subliminal Endorphin

Wooohooo ..I Found it ... actually TreetopTom had it listed a Few Posts ago and It Sounded like Suburban might be the one but now I have confirmed it ... If you're looking for Soda Brands the"MOTHER LOAD" can be found at
http://www.gono.com/soda%20cans/key%20soda%20cans.htm

Suburban was bottled/canned in Baltimore ... the logo is a Man swinging a Golf Club, Although the Can has changed Designs over the years as all brands usually do.

We always had Suburban in our house.
My dad kept it behind the bar in the club basement.( A real Bawltymore knotty pine club basement) Since I prefered coke I didn't remember it until you found it!

Pool Boy - could it be Hansen's your looking for? It has a very good diet ginger ale. & I think Whole foods sells it.

http://www.hansens.com/products/products.php?subcat=1&color=soda
signman
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/06/30 00:45:02
Up until adulthood, Suburban Club was probably the only brand Ginger Ale I drank. They had the regular kind, which would have been in a green bottle, and Golden, sold in a clear bottle, which is probably the one you remember. I certainly don't remember a particulary stong taste.

Their most popular soda was Almond Smash, which is still available. It's basically a cherry soda.
Robearjr
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2007/07/04 09:52:46
Growing up in Baltimore's northern burbs, I remember Suburban, Shasta, Vernors, Faygo and Dr. Brown.

While I'm not sure which brand you had, I'm pretty certain it wasn't Ale 8. I've never seen Ale 8 in West Virginia, let alone Maryland. Maybe you can now get in places like Huntington WV, but that is probably as far as it has migrated.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/01 19:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

How about this?

I just got back from a trip to the florida panhandle and it was the first time i have ever had the chance to try Buffalo Rock's ginger ale.

WOW - I like my ginger ale on the hot side but this stuff has some serious bite.

I picked up 4 cases for the trip back north.

I knew buffalo rock was the pepsi distributor for the SE, but I never knew Buffalo Rock's history until reading the 12 pack box.

quite some history, dating back to pre civil war with their recipe.

I now have a new favorite for ginger ale

Buffalo Rock
Poverty Pete
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/01 21:27:37
Oneiron brought some really good ginger ale to Mobile in February, but I like the ones from Jamaica that really BURN.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/01 21:38:38
I remember Al mentioning the Ginger Ale Oneiron brought along-do you remember the name? And i am assuming,Pete, that the Jamaican stuff is only located in Jamaica? I love that burn....
Poverty Pete
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/01 23:04:10
No, Ann, I first found it in Chicago, when I was in brewing school. Don't remember any names, but it was fierce, and was available in several places.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/01 23:21:57
Ann, El Rey markets in Milwaukee carry D & G Jamaican Ginger Beer.
I don't think I've ever tasted a hotter ginger ale though than Blenheim; even the diet has a sharp burn. Very, very hard to come by.

kensandyeggo
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 01:21:02
I drank Canada Dry once and wet my pants at least 4 times a day for over a year.......old ginger ale joke........so sue me. I didn't write it!!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 01:41:32
quote:
Originally posted by hep2thejive

Perhaps it was ginger beer and not ginger ale?

Seriously, what is the difference?
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 10:48:17
Thanks, MFL!!!!!!!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 11:54:46

The Georgia Ginger Ale that One-iron gave us was RED ROCK. It was great. it is available at some of the soda specialty on-line stores, but they are pretty expensive (after shipping costs are added in). The Red Rock has a good burn to it !
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 13:49:21
Will have to try and find some on my venture down south this fall-Thanks, Al, for the name...
jmckee
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 20:12:08
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Ann, El Rey markets in Milwaukee carry D & G Jamaican Ginger Beer.
I don't think I've ever tasted a hotter ginger ale though than Blenheim; even the diet has a sharp burn. Very, very hard to come by.

I bought a few bottles of Blenheim when visiting a friend in Durham, NC, who took us to A Southern Season, a kind of uppity gourmet market. They were out of the "hot" ginger flavor, otherwise I'd have tried that too. I love the stuff.

They very occasionally have it at Jungle Jim's, in Fairfield, OH, near Cincinnati.
catherines
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/02 20:21:43
Pechin's and Wal Mart in SWPA both stock Vernor's Ginger Ale.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/04 19:13:06
Check out:
http://www.gingerpeople.com

Big Ugly Mich
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/04 19:27:50
Does Nehi make a ginger ale?
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2008/08/04 19:29:44
Is there a difference between Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale,like with the real thing????
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2013/08/03 16:15:46
My Uncle and I are sampling some of his stash

Reed's Original Ginger Brew - Has a pineapple flavor and slight ginger
and
Red Rock from Hotlanta, GA  HOLY ****E does it have a burn to it, even hotter than Buffalo Rock.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2013/08/03 22:46:19
Vernor's is available here (in the middle of nowhere). It has an odd underlying sweet flavor that's fruit punch-ish. I don't think it's at all crisp or dry...and burn is lost on me. That must be a macho man thing.

I'll stick with Schweppes Diet Dry Grape.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/08/03 22:47:22
pineyhill
Hamburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2013/08/04 16:14:18
We have Vernor's in The Woodman's store in LaCrosse , WI.
SodaDude
Junior Burger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2014/07/01 14:42:33
I've been working on a website that lists various ginger ale brands, past and present, and would appreciate any brand suggestions that you know about which I haven't listed.  If anybody is interested in reading, please feel free to check out Ginger Ale Brands.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Ginger Ale Brands 2014/07/07 15:20:41
I've found Vernor's in several Walmarts throughout NY state also, but only in 2 liter bottles. The little grocery store down the street from me stocks cans. I rarely drink it on its own anymore, but it's my go-to for Jim Beam and ginger with lemon.