What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 139
rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
  • Reward points : 0
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Thu, 06/28/07 2:38 PM

Felix, the only way I got Vernors up until a few months ago was either when my
sister would bring down about three cases from Chicago or we had to go on vacation
back up to Detroit/Windsor. I was surprised to see it hit the shelves here, but
it's mainly in the Wal-Marts...which relates to a story back in April - went
over to the local CVS (doesn't sell Vernors) one afternoon & saw the 7UP truck
unload their order, which just about emptied the truck..and what was left,
besides a few loose 7UP bottles: one Vernors 12-pack by itself. I wanted to
ask the driver if I could buy that case, but didn't know if he would sell it
to me or not?

wallhd
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 06/29/07 7:36 AM
I've never even heard of most of the products in this poll, but I voted for Big Red anyway.

An obvious choice for a Cornellian!!

Wally
Cornell '67

LegalLady
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 06/29/07 8:54 AM
Just gotta love ya Mr. Mayor!!! Y'all come visit and I will take you to Gering Bakery (see Stern's review) and get ya a REAL cabbage burger. I do like my Pepsi & Coke, but none of them strange reagional "POPS" for me, we will feed them to the prisoners!

I am off to make some more life changes.

Take care, be happy!!!

The Judge (minus her clown shoes)

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15066
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 06/29/07 9:09 AM
Wally,
If you like the flavor of a real sweet Cream Soda..Or can imagine what the taste of Carbonated Bubble Gum would be, you are close to the "Big Red" experience!

Judge, When you down your first (or second!) MOXIE you will be converted !

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 06/29/07 9:17 AM
I always keep a good supply of Cheerwine on hand when I'm at home in North Carolina. I would have a hard time deciding between Cheerwine and any of the Sprecher's drinks (root beer, cream soda or orange cream) if both were available in the same area.

That Saturday morning Sprecher's brewery tour is fantastic. I had to go back for a second Saturday because I had already been through my 9 beer tickets before I tried the free sodas on the first tour. I saved some capacity for the outstanding rb, cs and oc the second time. Great stuff.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 06/30/07 1:22 AM
Forgot to mentioned that I sampled Vernor's Ginger soda at the Red Square Cafe. I liked it a lot. Dr. Brown's Celery soda was avaiable at the Jewish Community Center Deli and Kornblatt's here in Portland and is a favorite of mine. Will have to order Cheerwine and the Manhattan drink on-line.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 06/30/07 10:15 PM
Whenever I go to Kentucky I load up on Ale 8. It was made for bourbon.

There is a similar soda in north east Tenn. I think it is called Dr. Enuf. I find it good, but Ale 8 seems to have a little more ginger in it. It has a little more of kick, which works well with the bourbon.

phatphil
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 06/30/07 11:35 PM
GREEN RIVER WHEN I CAN GET IT, NOT HERE IN FLORIDA THOUGH

John B
  • Total Posts : 112
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 07/6/07 8:04 PM
Recently I was lucky enough to find Cheerwine, RC and A&W Root Beer, all made with real sugar at a local Lowe's Grocery store. They were in long neck bottles and were expensive but very good. Also found various Jones sodas made with real sugar.

jesskidden
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 07/7/07 8:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by John B

Recently I was lucky enough to find Cheerwine, RC and A&W Root Beer, all made with real sugar at a local Lowe's Grocery store. They were in long neck bottles and were expensive but very good. Also found various Jones sodas made with real sugar.

Really? I'm always surprised by how many "gourmet" or "healthy" sodas use NFCS instead of sugar and get away with it. Most of the Jones I see is either diet or uses HFCS (altho' they do have several bottlers, including one in Canada IIRC) and even the Hansen/Blue Sky brands (found mostly in health food sections or stores) is a HFCS user.

I'd buy a lot more Boylan's if they distributed better in central NJ -I found their sodas all over the Catskill Mt. region last fall but it's rare just a few dozen miles south of it's North Jersey home. I think I enjoyed my Boylan Black Cherry soda at a new "Philly-style" cheesesteak joint, Willy's, in Red Bank the other day as much as I did the sandwich and fries.

planojim
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 07/7/07 12:22 PM
growing up in Northeasten PA, we always drank Birchola. It was a birch beer made by a company named Crystal. I've never seen it outside of the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.

But, it's yummy.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 07/10/07 12:21 PM
As I kid, growing up in Mass, I remember that Polar sodas were very popular. We had Cranberry Dry, Orange Dry and Raspberry Lime sodas all the time. One other one that I used to love was Squirt...I can't seem to find it anywhere around here anymore.

1Mainiac
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Thu, 07/19/07 5:00 PM
Always loved Polar's Orange Dry as a child, and recently tried it again and still do!!

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Thu, 07/19/07 7:28 PM
I am so overdue for Vernors!

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 07/20/07 1:26 PM
1Mainiac:

Polar Orange Dry is the BEST! Have you tried the cranberry dry or the raspberry lime that they make? Also great choices!

Oh and I saw your post about Sweet Potatoes and how you're trying to get your child to like them by doing the french fries...I'm not sure if you have a Whole Foods or Stew Leonards up in Maine...but they carry Sweet Potato Chips! That may help! I was the same way as a kid..wouldn't touch them...but now I can't get enough!

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 07/20/07 2:28 PM
red cherry crush, ramblin root beer(no longer made since coke bought bargs), hires root beer, grape nehi.... when I was a kid, way back when, soda came in glass bottles, I would go to the store and buy a 6 pack of 1 each coke, hires, cherry crush, orange crush, 7up and a grape nehi for 60 cents plus 2 cents a btl deposit. ahh the good old days. Remember when coke took coke off the market, introduced new coke (yuck o la) and then brought coke back with corn syrup instead of sugar. Occasionally, here in Texas. you can find coke made in Mexico in 16 oz bottles made with real sugar. What a diifference in taste.coke

Robearjr
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 07/20/07 10:04 PM
You can still get Coke with sugar during the Passover season, but you'll probably only find it if you live in a city with a large Jewish population. In Baltimore you go to the grocery stores in Pikesville area. I'll go the Giant on Old Court Road, which is right off of 695.

iceomat
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 07/21/07 4:27 AM
We have a small grocery store here that carries many sodas from Mexico including Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, and Fresca. But I really enjoy the many flavors of Jarritos: lime, mandarin, pineapple, fruit punch, etc. These are also made with real sugar instead of cs.
You can see 'em here: [url][/url]http://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-jarritos.html[url][/url]

Oh, and Big Red is awesome!

rainroosty
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 07/21/07 6:28 AM
I remember Foul Cheese soda. It was around in the 60's and I had my first one in North Carolina, on a road trip with a friend. We couldn't believe how great it was and we stopped at the next gas station with a machine outside and we got another each. It's one of my fondest memories!

wmceaton
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 07/21/07 6:45 AM
Growing up just north of Boston, White Rock used to make a great Birch Beer that I remember getting from the ice cream truck in the neighborhood.
Polar still makes it...but that is the only one I can find....other than the monster 30+ oz draft birch beer that I get at Harolds in Edison when I travel to NJ on business.
Probably some of the best pastrami that I have ever had.

mayor al
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 07/30/07 1:42 PM
I think I endorsed the SPRECHER ROOT BEER somewhere else on this thread, but I must say a bit more about it. I have seen a couple of the TV foodie celebs take the tour of the brewery in Milwaukee where they make this stuff. I am so used to the celebs going bananas over whatever they taste that I was hesitant to try the soda as it was being hyped a lot and I didn't want to be disappointed. Plus it is $4.50 a four-pack of 16 oz glass bottles...a lot more than Vernors, or Big Red, or Cheerwine here in Louisville. So I got a four-pack and chilled it and Janet and I have shared a couple and I sent one to "Legal Lady" in Nebraska to get an objective judgement on it . I must admit it is the best Root Bear I have ever tasted. I am a soda freak. I drink way too much of the stuff, and this Root Beer is at the top of the list in my book! If you haven't tried it yet, and like good Root Beer, Find some somewhere and give it the test. I don't think you will be disappointed.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9801
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 07/30/07 1:46 PM
Mr. Mayor-
I had my first experience of Sprecher's root beer just a few weeks. I was at Benji's and along with the hoppel poppel, made an excellent breakfast. It is clearly the best bottled root beer I have ever had. I would still rank it just a notch below what they serve at the Mug 'n Bun in Indy, though.

Next time I am in Milwaukee, I am definitely going to do the tour!

Robearjr
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 07/30/07 7:29 PM
Does anyone know if Canada has any soda/pop they call their own?

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 07/30/07 7:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by db1105

Franks Black Cherry Wischniak in the Philly area. A classic.

I used to call Franks black cherry wischniak my elixir when I was growing up. I loved it so much. I only see it around on occasion now, usually at a deli.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sun, 08/19/07 12:11 AM
Found a wonderful spot in Vancouver, Washington called "Moxie's on Main". It is a gourmet soda shop with specialty sodas from all over the world. Sampled the Manhattan Special Expresso soda mentioned here and found it sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste, just like coffee. The store has promised me a call when Cheerwine comes in .

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 08/29/08 1:38 PM

Just got my first 12-pack of Buffalo Rock ginger ale yesterday...and the verdict: Ouch!
Now I know why it's labeled "Southern Spice"!

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 08/29/08 1:51 PM
Green River

Sprecher's Red Raven & Ginger Ales

Vernor's

wmceaton
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 08/29/08 9:03 PM
Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer is great

LilyJDragonfly
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 08/30/08 10:21 PM
Now I perfectly understand this thread is all about the local/regional sodas, but I must add in a Coca-Cola note here. In Northern California where I'm living now, you can purchase glass bottle Coca-Cola made with real sugar - not High-Fructose Corn Syrup. It's all imported from Mexico for some reason and easily available at the Mexican restaurants. So very, very good when it's ice cold. The way God intended for Coca-Cola to be consumed.

All that being said, no other regional faves from NorCal, but I do love my Bleinheim's and Cheerwine from time to time back South....

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6082
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 08/30/08 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wmceaton

Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer is great

I'll second that..love it...and we can get it in Jersey,too!

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7761
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 09/1/08 5:10 PM
Dr. Brown's Black Cherry

Richard Mackiewicz
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 09/1/08 5:32 PM
Back in the day we used to have a case of qt. bottles delived by White Rock (Great Neck,NY) Now there was a soft drink you could taste! Grape,Orange,Root Beer, Sasparila, Cola, Lemon-Lime, Ginger Ale,Seltzer,etc. And when I was a kid I loved a bottle of Squirt.

leethebard
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 09/1/08 8:17 PM
I loved White Rock...and that White Rock girl!!!!

swkreiter
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 09/2/08 3:39 PM

Root beer from the Louisburg Cider Mill in (duh) Louisburg, KS. Sweet, but not too sweet, no HFCS, and a good root beer bite. Try the other flavors, too, if you get the chance.

http://www.louisburgcidermill.com/

jabber811
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 09/2/08 4:11 PM
Adirondack. Cola was my favorite, but I remember Orange, Root Beer, Lemon Lime, Diet, Ginger Ale, Black Raspberry. Polar is another sold around upstate New York.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 09/2/08 7:52 PM
Sprecher.Local brewery.

mrmet6986
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 09/2/08 8:07 PM
Cheerwine and Sundrop hands down

leethebard
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Wed, 09/3/08 8:11 AM
Cheerwine...cheerwine...cheerwine...how close to Jersey is that sold....want to taste it!!!!

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Wed, 09/3/08 7:08 PM
Supposedly the Charlottesville, VA area is the nearest to NJ.

Zenarcade
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 09/5/08 9:51 AM
Moxie!

leethebard
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 09/5/08 10:58 AM
Never had that in Jersey either...I hear it has a unique and strange taste????

drpep
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Tue, 09/9/08 9:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Never had that in Jersey either...I hear it has a unique and strange taste????

Go out and lick the utility pole in the front of your house or find a railroad tie, tastes the same as Moxie

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 09/12/08 10:05 AM
The sodas listed in the first post can be found in Texas. Dublin Dr.Pepper refers to the Dublin,Tx original bottling plant for Dr.Pepper.They do have a website,and I think they use cane sugar in it.
Jarritos and Penafiel are sodas from Mexico which are very popular around San Antonio,due to the high Hispanic population.Haven't tried any of them yet. We also here have Big Red,which has a bottling plant on the east side in Kirby,near the railroad yards.
Also,If you live around here, you can buy Shasta at the Family Dollar and General Dollar Stores.They used to sell it in the grocery stores here years ago.You can find it at Dollar Tree as well.
H.E.B. Grocery Stores, the mega south Texas chain based in San Antonio, has it's own brand of sodas called Hill Country Fare,named so because the chain started in Kerrville, in the Texas Hill Country back in the early 1900s. Their sodas aren't bad, but i don't know who they have a contract with to produce the soda. We do have Barq's here, and i have seen NeHi's Grape and Orange Crush at Walmart as well as Frosty Rootbeer. I think I even saw Dad's Rootbeer too at Walmart.Maybe Frosty changed their formula, but it didn't tast as good to me as when I was a kid.
I recall my dad mentioning a soda called Grandpa Graf's Rootbeer, that was around years ago in Milwaukee.But that was back in the 1930s and 40s.

MTFoodie
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Wed, 09/17/08 12:46 AM
I'm going on memory here and only had it once and it was good, but can't find any mention of it googling. If anyone from the Lincoln, NE area can help confirm this it would be great.
Husker Pop I think I had a strawberry or fruitty flaor one.

Any how I do KNOW that there used to be a Husker Beverage Company in Seward, NE. In fact the old Valentino's(sp) pizza place was housed in the old bottling plant. But when I was teacher ading in Seward a parent came in talk about his buisness and he had bought the Husker Soda recipes and was bottling it under Husker Pop I think. He brought in samples and that is where I had the Strawberry flavor pop.

One more fact I do know is that Husker Beverage Company was in buisness from 1940 to somewhere in the 1990s
if anyone can help I'd appreciate your help.

mayor al
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Wed, 09/24/08 1:22 PM
We met with Anne Peeples in Milwaukee this past Monday for a bit of shopping and a great Lunch. (See my Trip Report) Anne got us someDANG (Brand name) Butterscotch Root Beer. We have had it before and love the stuff. It is wonderful as the beverage used in unique Root Beer Floats...better than when it is drunk by itself!

She also found some Sprechers Cherry Cola Soda (a 4 pk of 16 oz glass bottles) We love their Root Beer and this Cherry Cola has a strong Cherry flavor without being the extra sweet that Cherry Coke or Pepsi seems to be. Good Stuff, and worth a try if you are in the Milwaukee area!

cameron074
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Wed, 09/24/08 2:41 PM
At the Hot Dog Johnny's roadside in Butzville NJ they have birch beer in frosted mugs. Delicious. Can't say with any certainty if it's their own or if they buy from someone locally.

MsDiPesto
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Mon, 10/20/08 11:54 PM
mland520, I haven't thought of Zeeh's in decades! I remember seeing their trucks around Kingston, NY, but don't recall drinking any.

mamaduck43
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Thu, 10/23/08 4:18 PM
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and fondly remember Tom Tucker Mint Ginger Ale...

Also the Cott brand of sodas - - their slogan was, "It's Cott to be good."

There was a local pop distributer - - I believe it was Imperial Bottling company in the North Side, and they had some great flavors - - Mint GingerAle, Grape, Orange, Grapefruit, lemon and fruit punch... I am sure that there were others - - They had painted bottles.... Loved them...

Capybara91
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 5:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck43

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and fondly remember Tom Tucker Mint Ginger Ale...

There was a local pop distributer - - I believe it was Imperial Bottling company in the North Side, and they had some great flavors - - Mint GingerAle, Grape, Orange, Grapefruit, lemon and fruit punch... I am sure that there were others - - They had painted bottles.... Loved them...

I remember Cott! Seems like they had a really good birch beer. In Youngstown, we also had Golden Age and Holly beverages. And I really liked Get Up. I don't know who made it but it was a 7-Up knock-off.

brickie
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 6:20 PM
Had it since I was a kid.
http://www.hosmersoda.com/

mayor al
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 6:22 PM

My daughter just called me. She a grocery store in Baraboo WI that is selling Sprechers Flavors for $2.50 a four pack. That half the price of the Root Beer when we can get it, here in Louisville. I have requested several 4 packs of the Cherry Cola and a sample 4 pack of the Red Ravin' (Cherry-Cranberry Soda) to come down for the Thanksgiving visit.
It's nice to have kids with the same tastes as us !!

Capybara91
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 6:29 PM
Batman Cott Cola from the Adam West days.

KingT
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 6:38 PM
Nothing beats an ice cold Ting on a hot summer day. Nest pop ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ting_(soft_drink)

leethebard
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 6:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck43

I remember Cott(It's Cott to be good)...and if memory serves it was pretty good...when did it go under???

drpep
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Fri, 10/24/08 7:31 PM
Cott has not gone under. They are one of the largest producers of private label sodas. They had 4 pack glass bottle Cott product in Wal-mart last year, maybe in some parts of the country they still have them.

leethebard
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 10/25/08 8:26 AM
...but nothing under the "Cott" name,correct?!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9801
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 10/25/08 8:29 AM
I'm very happy because an upscale grocery store recently opened near my house and they carry Cheerwine and Sprecher's root beer!

mamaduck43
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sat, 10/25/08 8:52 AM
I will be in Wisconsin from Thanksgiving until right before Xmas - - I am definitely going to look for Sprechers sodas.... I don't think I will have time to tour the plant, but I will save that for my next trip... I am making a whole list of Milwaukee places to go - - it is a goodly drive from my DD's house though....But she has to pick me up at the AMTRAK station there, so we might be able to work it out....

drpep
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sun, 10/26/08 9:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

...but nothing under the "Cott" name,correct?!

Cott branded product in 4 pack glass bottles should still be around. Some Walmarts had them last year.

wmceaton
RE: What's Your Favorite Regional Soda/Pop? - Sun, 10/26/08 10:29 PM
Foxon Park Birch Beer or PA Dutch Birch Beer

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 139