Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago

Cheeseburger
2007/06/24 13:53:31
Need some new sources for Mexican food. My favorite place was Lindo Mexico and it's been gone a while now. Many memories from those 2 am stops. It started in Logan Square and then moved to Lincoln Park. Wonderful food. Is there anything comparable in Chicago or the burbs???
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/24 19:58:26
When last I was in Chicago I ate at Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill and was not disappointed. Both that and Topolobampo have great food, but it can be hard to get in and this is "famous chef food" (with appropriate prices), not your average hole-in-the-wall Mexican.

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html

The menu (exerpt)
quote:
Especialidades
Tamales de Elote: slow-steamed sweet corn tamales made with wild-harvested Spence Farm spring nettles and homemade ricotta; tangy tomatillo sauce and sweet corn esquites

Salmón en Mole Verde Queretano: serrano-marinated, grilled Alaskan wild-caught sockeye salmon with Querétaro-style green mole of fresh poblano chiles, sesame seeds, almonds, peanuts, plantains and sweet spices; asparagus-studded chiles toreados and classic white rice

Carne Asada “Brava”: serrano-marinated grass fed rib steak (from Bill Kurtis’s Tall Grass) with salsa de molcajete (hand-crushed roasted tomatoes, serranos and garlic), spicy seared chiles toreados and sweet corn tamales (topped with homemade sour cream and fresh cheese. 36.00

Camarones Enfrijolados: red chile-marinated grilled fresh Gulf shrimp with morita chile-sparked black bean sauce, white runner beans and garlicky local braising greens

Pato en Mole Coloradito: Gunthorp duck breast in classic mole coloradito of ancho chiles, sesame seeds, spices and Oaxacan chocolate, with duck “carnitas” tamalón and grilled local asparagus

Pescado en Crema Enchipotlada: chipotle-glazed fresh day-boat catch with smoky chipotle cream; roasted potatoes and Three Sisters Garden salad

Pollo a la Campechana: achiote-marinated, grilled Gunthorp chicken breast with Campeche-style roasted tomato sauce (achiote, habanero chile, epazote and sour orange), black beans, roasted chayote and jícama-orange salsa

Puerco en Chileajo: Maple Creek pork loin with garlicky, red chileajo sauce; served with frijoles maneados, grilled green beans and crispy bacon

Carne Asada a la Oaxaquena: Creekstone Natural Black Angus rib steak, marinated in spicy red chile and wood- grilled, served with black beans, sweet plantains with sour cream, and guacamole. 28.50

Pollito a las Brasas: border-style, organic Gunthorp rock hen, half-boned, marinated in red chile, garlic and sweet spices, and grilled. Frijoles charros, charcoaled green onions, young greens. 21.00

Sound good?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/24 21:13:54
It sounds like a wonderful break from the same old-same old.

Especially this:
Pollo a la Campechana: achiote-marinated, grilled Gunthorp chicken breast with Campeche-style roasted tomato sauce (achiote, habanero chile, epazote and sour orange), black beans, roasted chayote and jícama-orange salsa
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/25 14:58:19
I had the most amazing food of any kind, Mexican or otherwise, at Topolobompo. This was some years ago, before Rick Bayless was as famous outside of Chicago. We were there for the Restaurant Association show and were all professional cooks. We were blown away.
Some years later my family and I were in Chicago and ate at Frontera. Blown away once again.
The best chile rellonos I've ever had.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/25 18:02:17
A more authentic, family type place is Nuevo Leon on 18th St., just east of Ashland. Wonderful food, friendly service, family owned.

http://www.nuevoleonrestaurant.com/
twodales
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/26 17:48:58
Thanks for the responses so far. I have been to the Bayless places and they are great but I'm really looking for more of a neighborhood place with Fresh, simple food. My beloved Lindo Mexico had great salsa and straight-forward good eats. Someone mentioned Fuego to me. It's located in Arlington Heights IL. I might take the train out there to try it. No worries about driving home after a few Margo-reeters...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/06/26 21:18:05
Try any of the many Burrito House locations around the city and now the suburbs. They make one of the best burritos in town. Although if you like your burrito with onions and/or cilantro, you need to ask for it; no charge. Avocado is extra.

They also do a dish I've never seen anywhere else; Chicken Pico. They take a big old helping of bite sized chicken, throw it on the griddle and then add a healthy dollop of pico de gallo. They simmer them together for a few minutes and then pile it all on top of a mess of Spanish rice.

Right along side of this fragrant bounty is a portion of very good refried beans smothered in cheese and a small salad topped with tomatoes and fresh guacamole. Served with a half dozen or so warmed corn tortillas for about $5.50.

If you want something a bit more "sit down" head over to Tecalitlan on Chicago Avenue about five blocks west of Ashland. They to have an excellent burrito (my faves are the steak and avocado versions)along with a more extensive menu than Burrito House.

All meals start with complimentary chips and fresh Pico de Gallo, some of the best I've ever had.

Beyond that you should head into Chicago's two Mexican neighborhoods, Pilsen on 18th Street around Ashland, and Little Village at 26th and Western. Nuevo Leon (previously recommended by Jim Ross) is located in Pilsen. Check out Los Comales in Little Village.

Hope that helps,

Buddy
twodales
Cheeseburger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/07/01 15:24:47
Thanks all. Someone else recently suggested 2 places in the city Tanzitaro and Las Cazuela. I've got a few places to try now...
FutileGourmet
Hamburger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/07/11 16:13:35
Front Street Cocina in Wheaton (not far from the Metra stop as I recall) has some pretty good fish tacos on the menu. I can't vouch for some of the other things, as I always order the fish tacos. I'm weak that way.
jcat
Junior Burger
RE: Your favorite Mexican Restaurants in Chicago 2007/07/11 16:35:33
Xni-pec for affordable Yucatecan eats in Cicero

5135 W 25th St
Cicero, IL 60804
(708) 652-8680

The papadzules are amazing.