Thai Food

Hamburger
2007/06/26 12:05:30
I got some yummy thai food take-out over weekend at Thai Cuisine in
Webster, MA. My wife got Pad Thai and I had Butternut Squash Curry with sticky rice. I highly recommend this place

Apparently the ownership changed about a year ago. I engaged in some conversation with the current owner
who was telling me that now they serve "authentic thai food" as compared to before.

Does that mean the previous owners were serving fake thai food?

Can anyone comment about that?
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/06/26 17:15:40
probally ment that the old place was serving a more amercanised version of thai....
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/06 14:42:03
Hi Bakman...If you are ever in the Boston area..you may want to check out Brown Sugar...there are two locations and the Thai there is AMAZING!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/06 19:35:01
I can't speak to the Thai food in MA, but I found the Thai food in Thailand very similar to the Thai food in San Francisco.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/07 22:11:51
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I can't speak to the Thai food in MA, but I found the Thai food in Thailand very similar to the Thai food in San Francisco.

I miss San Rafael. I miss San Francisco. I miss good Thai food as there is no Thai restaurant in my city, except for one in the town next door.
That said, when I go to New Haven, I will actually opt away from Louis Lunchbox and all the great pizza restaurants as there are about 5 Thai kitchens within the same block.

mark
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/13 13:11:48
I have found what I consider a very very excellent Thai place in the bay area it is
Sala Thai at 39170 State St Fremont Ca.

If you ask for spicey you will get SPICEY!!!! Real Thai spicey. Every dish I have tried there has been way above average, also good lunch specials. It is sort of hard to find but is worth the search.
I think you will be satisfied.
cd348
Hamburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/13 13:37:35
I spent three years in Thailand, 2 in Korat and 1 in Takhli. I lived on the economy in Korat and ate nothing but Thai food. Nothing in the states even begins to come close to the taste that I experienced in Thailand. There are some restaurants that cook tasty food; but, it just doesn't taste like what I remember.
Stupid_American
Hamburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/25 10:10:24
quote:
Originally posted by unabashed

probally ment that the old place was serving a more amercanised version of thai....

Whether authentic or not, the reason you like the new menu better is simply because it suits your tastes.

In the States, I have never met a Thai restaurant owner that didn't proclaim authenticity.
After all, they are Thai!

I live between Bangkok and Southern California.
The biggest difference is the restaurants themselves and the Thai style of dining out.

In Thailand, you will find individual cooks offering individual dishes, from individual shops, carts and stalls.
Many of these stalls will be located in food courts, where one can get their favorite dish from their favorite vendor.

Even most full menu operations are known for only a dish or two. Most of their menus will be mediocre.

Classic Thai Dining:
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/25 12:25:23
My guess is that most cities now have Thai restaurants. We even have a couple in or around Knoxville. The best is lemon Grass in Maryville, TN and the owners are of course, Thai. Their food tends to be hot.

I have always wanted to go to Bangkok.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
rouxdog
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/29 21:04:33
We have an excellent choice of Thai, Vietnamese as well as Japanese Sushi here in New Mexico, Albuquerque.
I rarely venture the 150 miles north to Duke City, when I, and or my wife, do so we usually seek out one of these eateries. We truly enjoy this type cuisine.
Ole Rouxdog
rouxdog
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/29 21:27:04
Please forgive me my friends at the GREAT WALL OF CHINA restaurant in Ruidoso, New Mexico! Ruidoso is 35 miles from our home, the closest shopping mecca to the ranch. The longtime owner and I have become compadres over the years. He proudly,and personally, puts together some excellent Sushi while his restaurant employees hustle to serve the large crowds which gather daily. Great family of Asian descent.
It was my privalege to help their college age son get an internship in DC working for one of our New Mexico Senators.
Please keep in mind this fine family restaurant if you are in Ruidoso, New Mexico.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Thai Food 2007/07/29 21:28:06
I didn't try Thai food until I was around 30 years old. Now, it is far and away my favorite. I get it at least once a week.
RibRater
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/01 11:23:59
I ate at Tomy Thai in kingsport tn yesterday. I'm ashamed to say that while I enjoy asian food in general, Thai food was never on my radar and this was my first. i visited tomy yesterday because I havent been able to find any good chinese or japanese in this area since i moved here two years ago.

I was conservative in my ordering...thai egg rolls, vegetable tom yum, thai basil fried rice, and shrimp lomein.

easily the best asian food i've eaten in years.

i'm going back today to try some curry. any recommendations?

RibRater
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/01 11:32:21
oops..here's their menu

http://www.tomythai.com/menu.htm
Wander
Junior Burger
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/01 12:32:05
What kind of curry you should order depends on what level of spice you wish to take on. Yellow is mild, red is more spicy, green is generally the hottest. Massaman curry is actually slightly sweet, with a nice little kick in the finish. My personal favorite is a red curry of duck with fruit, and I order it with a high spice level. Red curry also goes very well with shrimp and other seafood too. If it's a hot day I'll also get green papaya salad for a starter. Mangoes and sticky rice for dessert are a must.
RibRater
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/01 13:25:31
sounds good..thanks wander.

i'm on my way!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/01 14:22:52
Thai is my favorite oriental food. It is very spicy, flavorful and tends to be very unusual. We have a Thai restaurant in nearby Maryville, TN called Lemon Grass. The folks that own it are Thai and they are as authenic as anything we have around Knoxville, TN.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
zataar
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/02 18:31:41
Larry, definitely try some Thai salads, green papaya like Wander said, seafood salad, cucumber salad any kind! Thai salads are great with creamy, coconutty curries and other really spicy dishes. A nice contrast of flavors and textures. My favorite meat based salad is beef mint salad with roasted rice powder. I saw it on the website you posted. That restaurant sounds like a good one!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/03 04:12:23
I've been into Thai food for awhile now, but am starting to hit restaurants in the heart of Thai town with no English at all and I need help!

Some of these ingredients are new to me and are not on the internet thai food lists.

I ordered a green seemingly mixed with brown mussuman-style curry with a little beef in it. Most of it was a very tough green vegetable. When I managed to pull out a whole leaf, it looked like a long thin fresh bay leaf. It did not look like a kaffir lime leaf. There may have been a combo of greens because most of it was similar to collard greens, but very, very tough.

I had a fantastic sausage that was very, very sweet.

They had what appeared to be tripe (The offal with long, fringe), brown eggs in a sauce, is it bamboo shoots that when cut lengthwise make that pattern with holes in it? Whatever that is.

Help!

I will start a new thread on sweets.
zataar
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/04 09:54:45
Elise, could it have been water spinach? Ong choy is the Chinese name, pak bung is the Thai name. Sometimes it's called morning glory or Siamese watercress. It's used in stir fries and curries among other things. The leaves are very long, thin and pointed. The stems are hollow and tough.
I made a Malaysian water spinach stir fry last night. The flavor was great, lots of red chiles and shallots, but I couldn't get past the texture.

Could it have been lotus shoots, not lotus root, in the brown egg thing?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/05 04:24:20
I took the leftovers to the thai market and they brought me a jar of cassia leaves. I could tell it was right because of the little buds (like capers)

The sausage I had was just called "chinese sausage".

Thank goodness for nice thai market people.
Wander
Junior Burger
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/07 23:37:58
Gonna guess here and say that the sausage you had was probably laap cheong, most of the Chinese sausage I've eaten in takeout is of this type. I usually use it in fried rice, but also quite good just sliced up and fried into some scrambled egg.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/08 00:45:09
"Royal Thai" in Dallas. The best!
zataar
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/08 10:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wander

Gonna guess here and say that the sausage you had was probably laap cheong, most of the Chinese sausage I've eaten in takeout is of this type. I usually use it in fried rice, but also quite good just sliced up and fried into some scrambled egg.

I've had the sausage as a salad in Thai places with wedges of tomatoes, cabbage, scallions and a very spicy fish sauce dressing. I've made parchment wrapped chicken with fermented black beans and sliced laap cheong that's terrific Chinese dish.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2007/09/08 12:33:35
doggydaddy, you may want to stick with Bangkok Garden on York St. I summer in New Haven and have tried the other Thai places in that vicinity (Thai Taste, Pan Asian, et al.), and none is quite as tasty as the Garden! It's also the best CT Thai house, with #2 being Sawadee in South Windsor, in my opinion.
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2009/05/13 09:53:37
I stopped by an Asian bistro in Clemson last night and enjoyed a great green curry with shrimp. It was so good. Simple ingredients bursting with flavor. I also enjoyed some tasty Korean chicken barbecue. I keep forgetting about this place, I need to stop in more often.
mbrookes
RE: Thai Food 2009/05/15 13:44:26
We have a great Thai restaurant here in Jxn MS called, simply enough, Thai House. The lady grows her own lemon grass, Thai basil, etc right by the door.

Incidentally Thai is good for Celiacs... they generally use corn starch rather than flour and fish sauce rather than soy sauce. (Ask, of course) Thai is the only oriental food I can eat with confidence.
sk bob
RE: Thai Food 2009/05/23 22:44:50
what is the basic difference between thai & the average chinese take out ?
I've never tried thai but could maybe be swayed. 
post edited by sk bob - 2009/05/23 22:46:58
pimple2
Hamburger
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/04 01:31:11
Bob,

The short answer is: a totally different set of flavors. Does Italian taste like Mexican food? No, right?

Thailand is populated by people speaking 80 different languages, most of which today descend from the "Chinese" family of languages. Culturally, however, Thai are an amalgam of many influences: pre-Han, Indian, Mon-Khmer, Burman, and many others, including elements from Persia & Arabia. The food reflects all these cultures, something NOT found in your "average Chinese take-out."

I have cooked at a Lao-Thai restaurant, and am speaking from that perspective, but also as an Indian with a great appreciation of the diverse cultures & the history of the region.

Although it might be possible to delineate regional patterns or ethnic styles of cookery within Thailand, in America,Thai restaurants serve up certain "standards" that their customers have come to like or expect. In addition, they keep handy a few stir fries & noodle dishes, harking back to the Chinese population settled in Thailand and their influence on Thai foodways. So, if YOU so irchoose, you could go in and come out with a fairly Chinese-tasting meal, should that be your goal!!

No one is trying to sway you. You can shut yourself  off to a world of flavors & adventure or try Thai food. The world will not end if you are not swayed! So, it is your call, entirely. Read up if you wish, or spend a few $ trying something new! You know, pizza was not so common or popular in your grandparent's generation!!
carlton pierre
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/07 11:34:47
There's a great little website that's a good inspiration if you want to see Thai cooking.  Go to www.importfood.com and click your way to the Thai street food vendors and watch those short videos.  You'll feel like cooking Thai after watching just a couple.
pimple2
Hamburger
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/09 02:50:46
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/09 09:50:00
Excellent!

Thank you for posting the link.
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/09 11:13:58
While I have had good Thai food experiences in Greensboro, I'm now so happy we have a couple of places in our area. Saturday I stopped in for an order of fried spring rolls at Simply Thai in Elon. Spent some time talking with the young man at the sushi counter as it was too early for the lunch crowd. I will go back to Simply Thai again and try their lunch specials. I've had the Thai Red Curry chicken and zucchini at our local Asian Bistro - really good! It inspired me to try my own version at home, which was pretty good, but I had Indian red curry sauce, not Thai red curry so it was not as authentic. Plus, I had to bump up the heat with sriracha sauce, so the resulting dish was truly a melting pot.

edited to correct the name of Simply Thai in Elon, NC
post edited by tcrouzer - 2010/06/10 06:42:39
pimple2
Hamburger
RE: Thai Food 2010/06/10 01:01:43
I got a job at a local Thai-Lao restaurant and eventually became their #2 chef. I had a lot of interest in Thai & Lao food & culture, but what I learnt in the restaurant trade was a bit unsettling. People happily paid $8-10 for a few pieces of chicken. We had to maintain strict portion control : this many meat pcs, carrot pcs, mushrooms, pepper chunks per order all neatly set out in foil pie pans. When orders came rushing, red, green, black or blue, every pie pan got a schmear of curry paste that basically was a slightly doctored up version of a bagged paste, MAESRI, from Thailand in big tubs.

Hot oil, a sizzle of garlic & the owner's patented sofrito [nothing much but I promised never to reveal!], in goes the stuff on a high flame, stir around, one ladle base stock, one of coconut milk, then salt, sugar [because American palates, like the Bangkok style, likes a sweet hint] fish sauce, and you are done. The usual garnish.

Here's the kicker:about 7 + Tbof oil per order(!) to economize on the coconut milk. More sodium & sugar than you might guess.

That place remains incredibly popular!!

My point is this: as far as most Thai foods go, you can make them far tastier, healthier & cheaper at home. MUCH cheaper.

One small can of curry paste  costing $ 0.69 will make 3-4 pans [of 19inch diameter--that's a huge resto size saute or frying pan].

Per pan, you use 2 [14oz]  cans of CHAOKOH brand coconut milk : $1-1.19 ea.

saute as much chopped garlic as you want in a little hot oil w/o browning; add one sm.onion diced. Stir a bit, then add your curry paste, and stir it around until it becomes fragrant.

You need not buy fish sauce if you will not cook often. Buy a can of anchovies or tube of anchovy paste [use also in spaghetti sauce]. Add some now, not if it is fish sauce.

You add the creamy layer from 1 can of coconut & cook the curry base for a tiny bit, until it amalgamates & bubbles. If you have uncooked chicken breast etc. add now. Or, you can use cooked chicken, pork, duck, beef.

I make it semi-vegetarian, adding mushrooms, tofu chunks, bamboo shoots, zucchini, blanched carrots, chard ribs and a can of "fried gluten." you will find this in oriental groceries.

Add your thin milk that is left in the one can and bring to simmer. Add aromatics like chopped lemongrass & Thai lime leaves, add the 2nd can of milk, brink to simmer. Finish with a few Thai basil leaves if you like. Adjust seasonings to taste.

15 minutes from start to finish & you can feed 3-4 with rice.

I absolutely shun the word Kaffir lime. That term came from South Africa, given to this plant taken there by Malay slaves. Kaffir is derived from the Arab for Infidel, Unbeliever. It has a very pejorative meaning. In S. Africa, Kaffir became a word used by the whites to refer to things associated with darker skinned people in an insulting way: like the N WORD in the USA. So, kaffir lime literally means, N---ger Lime.

Citrus hystrix, Thai lime, needs to be shorn of its unfortunate historical epithet.

More on cooking Thai at home:
http://forums.egullet.org..._840&#entry1742524

post edited by pimple2 - 2010/06/10 02:25:35