Blackout

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
  • Reward points : 0
Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:12 AM
Yes....Our servers are stored in NY. It is amazing how much you can miss something when it is gone for a day.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:15 AM
I read this morning that there was some price gouging by hot dog vendors in NYC and that someone in the article was quoted as saying she paid $20. for a bottle of Snapple and went on to say that it was the best Snapple she ever had 'cause it was so hot and she was so thirsty.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13401
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:17 AM
The entire USA has been watching the problems facing the people of the NE. I would not want to be in NYC.

It appeared the forum was off line from around 4:00PM to sometime early this morning. I signed on at 6;30AM and was working fine then.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:25 AM
Luckily we have been spared in Rhode Island. My mother and brother in Albany NY were without power for a few hours. My friend in New Jersey was without power for less than an hour. Haven't checked with my Long Island friends yet.

Chumley
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:49 AM
This was my third NYC blackout ('65, '77, '03) and in some respects, it was the easiest. I think we were somewhat better prepared for this one due to 9/11. Although I live in PA, I'm back in Lower Manhattan this morning and power is coming back up slowly but surely. Although the Subways are out, busses and ferry boats are running normally. Other than yesterday's heat, people are coping quite well and it's a bit cooler today.

My 85-year-old Dad was in his doctor's office yesterday and they were hooking him up to an EKG for a routine test when the power went. He simply turned to the nurse and said "I guess the old ticker is still good for something, eh?"

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 12:00 PM
I am about 12 to 15 miles outside of Boston and our office was not affected at all.
DaveM

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 1:31 PM
Fairfield County, Ct. out from 4:15 ish to 8:30. It isn't fun trying to cook in the dark. You keep reaching to turn the lights on. Luckily gas stove, and lots of candles, but it was HOT! Just as we sat down to eat, the electricity came back on.

NancyPeter
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 3:09 PM
South Jersey (suburb of Philly) never lost power, as we're in a grid with Maryland. My parents who live in the northern part of the state of NJ were only "out" for about five hours, luckily! For once, I was actually happy to be living in south, rather than north NJ

Yes, I noticed that this website was "down" also...

CheeseWit
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 5:02 PM
I sat in my airconditioned house in a Philly suburb and watched cable tv all night showing the blackout a mere 80 miles away in Northern NJ/NYC. I was and am still amazed that we and most of PA were not affected.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 5:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

I sat in my airconditioned house in a Philly suburb and watched cable tv all night showing the blackout a mere 80 miles away in Northern NJ/NYC. I was and am still amazed that we and most of PA were not affected.

This article from today's Phila Enquirer explains why PA wasn't affected. Looks like it was a close call.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/6535863.htm

Chumley
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 8:03 PM
That was an interesting article, RubyRose. Thanks for posting it. I work in Lower Manhattan but live in PA. You can imagine my pleasure when my wife told me I would be coming home to lights and air conditioning!

NancyPeter
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 9:09 PM
You must have a LONG commute! Several times during the last ten years, my husband has thought about working in Manhattan again & then he thinks about it for real & says "not," as it would be two hours on the bus or train. He actually worked in the World Trade Center above the 100th floor many years ago when we lived in Bergen County. He never felt comfortable there... He didn't like the feeling of being above the clouds!

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:10 PM
We got our power back in my Manhattan apartment at noon today. The whole thing wasn't much more than a large inconvenience, although we (I) had to carry out baby up 18 flights of pitch-black stairs (I had a flash light). Yes, I was tired, but took my time. Our building has a gym on the second floor, and as often as not I walk up the stairs to my apartment after my workout Of course, I'm not generally carrying a toddler. Or doing it in the dark.

CheeseWit
RE: Blackout - Fri, 08/15/03 10:25 PM
Yep, read the article in this morning's Inquirer, and am still amazed. The technicians were on the ball and caught this cascade of failing electrical power before it blacked out most of the eastern U.S. Thank goodness Homer Simpson wasn't manning the control buttons this time.

goldsborscht
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Blackout - Sat, 08/16/03 12:13 AM
Not only was I trapped in the blackout, but I had the worm. All that was available were Sno-balls and Weise's chips. I'm looking to do some serious damage tomorrow-- maybe Katz topped off with a white pizza. Those cheesesteaks in Princeton sound good, too.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Blackout - Sat, 08/16/03 1:50 AM
quote:

I read this morning that there was some price gouging by hot dog vendors in NYC and that someone in the article was quoted as saying she paid $20. for a bottle of Snapple and went on to say that it was the best Snapple she ever had 'cause it was so hot and she was so thirsty.

Out here in Los Angeles, $20.00 for anything to drink is not unusual? LOL We here in California are bracing for the worst. Recently we have been spared Terrorists Attacks, Natural Disaster's, Rolling Blackouts etc.etc.etc. (Not counting this recall thing) We are overdue for something really big....We're Waiting??????

goldsborscht
RE: Blackout - Sat, 08/16/03 1:56 AM
NY's had enough. Someone else should give it a try.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Blackout - Sat, 08/16/03 3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:

Out here in Los Angeles, $20.00 for anything to drink is not unusual? LOL We here in California are bracing for the worst. Recently we have been spared Terrorists Attacks, Natural Disaster's, Rolling Blackouts etc.etc.etc. (Not counting this recall thing) We are overdue for something really big....We're Waiting??????

I think the recall thing is your disaster!

pigface
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Blackout - Sat, 08/16/03 4:55 PM
What a Nightmare ...
and that's just the Job at a Hospital portion in my Life.
Once I got to go home it wasn't very pleasent either ...

CheeseWit
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 5:39 AM
Andy, that's really wonderful to hear. The great majority of the reports I saw or read spoke of what you stated-how 9/11 changed the city, and how the feeling of community pervades. I was amazed that here in the Phila. area we were spared the blackout, but even more impressed by the actions of New Yorkers dealing with the blackout.
quote:
Originally posted by AndyNYC1

My power was out for 27 hours. I now have a completely empty fridge and freezer. I think FreshDirect.com is going to get a ton of business this week.

On my trek home from the office (about 5 sweltering miles ofter descending 35 floors), there was NO price gouging that I witnessed, contrary to the reports of those who weren't here. Rather, small stores were giving away their frozen goods, diners were scooping out free ice cream, restaurants set up tables to pass out free drinks and food to anyone in need, etc.... It was remarkable. 9/11/2001 has changed this city forever in many horrible ways, but also in many good ways. It's really a community now, rather than the cold city it once was. I'm never leaving here.

rocraig1
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 9:03 AM
During the blackout I was supposed to meet someone at 6:00 at a restaurant but she never came, thinking it was a 7:00 appointment. The restaurant could only serve sushi and there were only three customers. Since there was no power and the cell phones did not work I waited and left. She went to the restaurant at 7:00, waited and left. By chance I went to her house and we had our dinner party with the family and candles. Other than this communication block and backed up traffic (no traffic lights and police were doing their best to direct), everything was really calm, but very dark, in Westport, CT.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 9:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AndyNYC1

My power was out for 27 hours. I now have a completely empty fridge and freezer. I think FreshDirect.com is going to get a ton of business this week.

On my trek home from the office (about 5 sweltering miles ofter descending 35 floors), there was NO price gouging that I witnessed, contrary to the reports of those who weren't here. Rather, small stores were giving away their frozen goods, diners were scooping out free ice cream, restaurants set up tables to pass out free drinks and food to anyone in need, etc.... It was remarkable. 9/11/2001 has changed this city forever in many horrible ways, but also in many good ways. It's really a community now, rather than the cold city it once was. I'm never leaving here.

Way to go New York!!! You know i think that towns gotten alot nicer since my daughter moved there!!!!

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 10:08 AM
Heard from the afor mentioned daughter> She lives in Brooklyn---was babysitting some kids in Manhatten---folks got home soon so she headed off to a club that she plays in regularly where she found them open to "refugees" by candleight--so she proceeded to entertain folks with an accoustic set and spent the night there. She had a great time and spent the next day with a "summer snow day" in the park with friends picnicing on everything that would spoil---said it was all and all a pretty nice experiance.

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 10:17 AM
I work half a block from Grand Central. There are only 11 of us in the office, and we all went to Maggie's on 47th when the power went out. I walked over to Grand Central at about 8:00 pm and staked out a spot in the old taxi stand near Michael Jordan's and Cipriani Dolce. No signal from T-Mobile, so no way to get in touch with my family. The first oficial annoucement came at 11:30, and water was passed out about 45 minutes later. At about 3:00 am the doors were unloked and they announced that there were four diesel trains that were going to run.

It was amasingly orderly getting to the trains. Our train was the "express" to Stamford. We started to pull out of the station at about 3:30 went maybe 100 yards and stopped. Conductor came on and annouced we were waiting for another train to pass. We waited about 20 minutes when the conductor came on and said that there had been a collision in Larchmont and that all New Maven line trains we being held. We finally pulled out of the Park Avenue tunnel at a little after 6:00, and I got home to Westport a little before 8:00 am. Then I slept...

Chumley
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 4:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NancyPeter

You must have a LONG commute! Several times during the last ten years, my husband has thought about working in Manhattan again & then he thinks about it for real & says "not," as it would be two hours on the bus or train. He actually worked in the World Trade Center above the 100th floor many years ago when we lived in Bergen County. He never felt comfortable there... He didn't like the feeling of being above the clouds!

About 2 hours each way. No busses or trains, though. Car and Ferry boat -- much easier. I think long and hard about working in Jersey, Philly or points south every now and then. I'm glad for both you and your husband that he left the Towers behind for a "luckier" locale!

goldsborscht
RE: Blackout - Sun, 08/17/03 11:55 PM
NY's real nice. All that was open during the blackout was a bodega. While I was reaching for a package of Sno-balls, this guy walks toward me, and says, "Watch out, motherf---er," as he opens the beer case.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Blackout - Mon, 08/18/03 8:58 AM
As a country boy in the city for a couple of months, New York made me proud! My legs are recovering from walking down 36 floors worth of stairs on Thursday and then navigating back and forth to a 10th floor apartment several times Thursday night and Friday (our power wasn't restored until sometime between 7 & 10 PM Friday, while we were at a broadway play--New York just keeps on going). The toughest part was getting by with little water for a day (but we had experienced being down over a week with 3 trees in the roof in the aftermath of hurricane Fran in Raleigh, NC several years back). We will be eating fruits, veggies, pasta and "prepared foods" (spam and chicken salad from canned chicken breast)for a few more days to be sure we avoid any spoiled perishables.
The city was a big party, VERY unlike the nights of vandalism and looting in earlier blackouts. A civilized society at last!

JoeMcKenna
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Blackout - Mon, 08/18/03 10:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by goldsborscht

NY's real nice. All that was open during the blackout was a bodega. While I was reaching for a package of Sno-balls, this guy walks toward me, and says, "Watch out, motherf---er," as he opens the beer case.

Maybe the phrase just fit?

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Blackout - Mon, 08/18/03 10:41 AM
goldborsct - do perfect strangers really talk to each other like that? Yikes!

Sorry about the problems y'all had, but glad everyone behaved in a seemly manner.

LizzieR
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Blackout - Mon, 08/18/03 11:20 PM
I live close to work in NYC so getting home was no problem. We dined on grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches for supper, made on the gas stove. Of course, I had to throw out newly purchased eggs, yogurt and other perishables the next day but it could have been worse. My freezer was fine! This incident was a piece of cake compared to 9-11 that everyone knew what to do andd we were all relieved that the problem could be fixed.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Blackout - Mon, 08/18/03 11:58 PM
Lone Star,
You've been sheltered down there in God's Country too long. The comment Goldie received is the standard warning by school girls to adults at the school where I had my previous teaching assignment in SoCal. The term can be used as the universal Proper Noun when the speaker does not know your actual name...Or even as the Universal Adjective to help identify what kind of butter she/he would like passed at the holiday dinner table.