Jolly Jacks Hamburgers

chriscubva
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points : 0
Jolly Jacks Hamburgers - Mon, 07/2/07 12:46 AM
When I was 8 years old ( this would be 1976 ) I did a local radio commerical that aired on WHPL-AM 610 in Winchester, VA with my mom for a hamburger drive-in called "Jolly Jacks". For years I always thought it was just that one restaurant but I was chatting online yesterday with a former dj who at the time worked at WHPL. He says that Jolly Jacks was actually a chain but other than that, he knew nothing else.

Anybody else heard of Jolly Jacks. I believe their hamburger was called the Jolly Boy. I know that in Winchester their location that was on Valley Ave ( US Route 11 ) had a playground in the back for kids.

Not sure when this place first opened but I am pretty sure it closed sometime in the early 80s.

Still remember the jingle...

"....you will come back....to Jolly Jacks !!"

Deannuri
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Jolly Jacks Hamburgers - Sun, 07/3/11 9:35 AM
Jolly Jack’s was originally Jumpin’ J Drive-in on Martinsburg Pike. In the Fifties this was the site of Deb & Jakes Drive-in, popular with the young crowd. In the late Fifties this became the Jumpin J. With the advent of the "Berlin Crisis" in the early Sixties, the owner of the Jumpin’ J, who was an Army Reservist, was called to active duty and necessarily closed his business.  Some of these dates are approximate.

After his release from service, he opened Jolly Jack’s on the site of what had been Chicken in the Rough on Valley Avenue (Anyone remember that chain?).

I knew the owner. He was married to one of my high school classmates and I was a regular customer at both his restaurants.