Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce

doremi
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Thu, 07/5/07 4:15 PM
Does anyone remember Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce? It was made in Kansas City, MO. We used to always buy it and it was the best! I wish it was still available.

catsmeow
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Thu, 03/27/08 12:34 PM
I remember it!!! In fact my husband and I were talking about it last night and wishing we could find it again! It's been about 25 years since we had it here in Tulsa. Would love to find some. Any leads????

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Thu, 03/27/08 2:38 PM
Welcome to Roadfood you two!

Give us more details about this sauce. It sounds interesting!
Joe

catsmeow
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Thu, 03/27/08 3:49 PM
It is just a good meat sauce. My husband is very picky and this is a sauce that his mom used for years. Of course, when we married I started using it. He doesn't like tomatoes,onions, mushrooms or the like. This did have a slight garlic and meat flavor, didn't taste too tomato-y and you couldn't see any onions or peppers. Sometimes I just heated it as is, but most times I added various amounts of browned ground beef and put it over pasta. It didn't taste anything like Ragu which at that time was the only other sauce on the market as far as I remember! I have tried all kinds through the years and Old Southern is the only thing my husband and kids liked. I don't recall it having different flavors like mushroom, onion, etc. Just the plain "Old Southern Meat Sauce" in a glass quart jar - kinda square shaped.

PapaJoe8
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Fri, 03/28/08 2:50 PM
Ahh, It comes in a jar. Now were geitin somewhere. Sounds like an interesting sauce. There was an Old South sauce but they seem to be out of busness.

Does your family like chili? It's good over pasta.
Joe

catsmeow
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Fri, 03/28/08 3:03 PM
Yeah, I would put more meat in the sauce and make it like chili. Less meat for a spaghetti sauce, and sometimes w/no meat at all over pasta.

PapaJoe8
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Fri, 03/28/08 5:35 PM
cats & Do, I think it was "old south Spegittie Sauce". They are out of busness. Now fot the "copy cat" recipe?

The northern pasta chili sauce does have meat.

Here in Texas we use Wolf Brand chili over pasta, with cheddar cheese, with pickled jalapenos.
Joe

Oh Cats, your 101st. raw oyster will taste great! Tell the kids and hubster about the "10 times rule". You can say you don't like something after the 11th. try. It's a genetic kinda thingy. :~)

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Sat, 03/29/08 9:03 AM
PapaJoe8, I had a recipe and I can't find it for Spaghetti sauce, Western Style.
All I remember was that it was hot and sweet! like a BBQ sauce.
It was like a basic bolognese sauce with HONEY and 1 tbs hot pepper flakes, serve over spaghetti.
Have you had spaghetti sauce, western style?

PapaJoe8
RE: Old Southern Spaghetti Sauce - Sat, 03/29/08 10:17 AM
Fab, nop I have not had the pleasure but it sounds real good to me! I did see a recipe using BBQ sauce somewhere. Let us know if you find that recipe.

Joe