Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA

Junior Burger
2007/07/12 20:37:48
Has anyone else savored the scrumptous Bar-B-Que sandwiches that this little haute offers?

It's located in the small Northeast PA town of Linden, right just west of Williamsport PA, on highway route 220 (440 N. US Highway 220)

They have the best slaw for their sandwiches...I believe the recipe has worked its way through the years, originating for me at a place called 'Brown's BBQ', which used to be located (and owned by) a Dairy Queen in Avis, PA on Route 150. The meat (I usually get ham) is lean and sweet.

The ladies that work there are so kind. They are a mom-and-pop type business, so be sure to carry some cash (they don't take credit cards).

I can't say enough good about this favorite local place!
phillytim
Junior Burger
RE: Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA 2007/07/13 10:53:05
I should probably say that the slaw is 'very close' to what the original recipe used to be decades ago. Admittedly, it has a slight difference; but the taste certainly transports you back to the golden days of Browns.
pacman
Cheeseburger
RE: Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA 2007/07/13 10:59:24
Phillytim,

Thanks for mentioning this place. I grew up in the Lock Haven area and remember Brown's BBQ well. I'm glad to know that their food has survived. Our family favorite is just down the road "Henry's BBQ". I think the difference is that I prefer Henry's with the relish to the slaw that Brown's used. It just depends on my mood at the time. Maybe the next chance I get I'll go to both Henry's & Bubba's to do a taste test of both places.

Dan
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA 2007/07/13 16:21:14
quote:
Originally posted by pacman

Phillytim,

Thanks for mentioning this place. I grew up in the Lock Haven area and remember Brown's BBQ well. I'm glad to know that their food has survived. Our family favorite is just down the road "Henry's BBQ". I think the difference is that I prefer Henry's with the relish to the slaw that Brown's used. It just depends on my mood at the time. Maybe the next chance I get I'll go to both Henry's & Bubba's to do a taste test of both places.

Dan

I remember Brown's. Have you been to the Texas Lunch lately? It used to be a great breakfast and/or late-nite de-tox place on Main St. in LH. This from a LHU grad.
harvardgirl
Junior Burger
RE: Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA 2009/05/09 20:28:58
I grew up in that area and loved going to Brown's, Overdorf's, or Henry's for their BBQ ham sandwiches.  They also had pork which I sometimes got as well.  With the slaw that they topped the sandwiches off with, you couldn't get a better flavor!  To this day, I remember those sandwiches and you can't seem to get them anywhere else.  I now live in MA and I wish there was a place that served these delicious sandwiches.  I also wish I knew how to make them, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to replicate the recipe exactly.  I am planning a trip home this summer and I can't wait to go to Henry's or Overdorf's - I don't think Brown's is around anymore.  I vividly remember going to Brown's for a sandwich then going over to the DQ for a Brownie Sundae afterward!  I still have relatives in Avis and Lock Haven and Linden.  Never tried Bubba's but I'm going to have to when I'm there to see how their sandwiches compare.
post edited by harvardgirl - 2009/05/09 20:30:28
phillytim
Junior Burger
RE: Bubba's Burgers Subs & Bar Bq in NE PA 2009/08/31 18:28:23
Hey - by chance I came across this thread and wanted to update you all....

Unfortunately, Bubba's has closed and turned into another OIP pizza place. :( But from THIS ARTICLE, it appears that the BBQ recipe has stayed the particular family and a place called "The Diner" opened in downtown Lock Haven (132 1/2 East Main St.) a few years ago. Would anyone happen to know if the restaurant is still open? I go back home on occasion and will check next time there!

Harvardgirl: Yeah, definitely about going from Brown's to DQ! But don't forget that we played some cool video games there at Brown's, while waiting for our BBQs! At least, I did with my folks and friends. Did you do that too while waiting?
post edited by phillytim - 2009/08/31 18:38:34