Greens & more

Trask
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 0
Greens & more - Thu, 07/12/07 11:00 PM
Great green talk here. My garden is bursting with a good supply of collards, kale, & mustard greens. Ben picking and eating for the past month. One thing I'll mention that is a favorite of mine is parsnips. Great in chicken soup. Gives that extra earthy quality. Also, I like to cut up equal parts of turnip, parsnip, and rutabagas and cook them together in boiling water until just tender. Mix with butter, salt & pepper. Yum!
Good eats, Trask

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Greens & more - Thu, 07/12/07 11:09 PM
Trask,here in southeast Alabama,I'll start my parsnips in my garden the last part of July....The same time we start our rutabagas...This year I'm going to try to grow salsify,too.

Trask
RE: Greens & more - Thu, 07/12/07 11:46 PM
Salsify(AKA spaghetti squash)is neat. Good luck with it. I think I'll get a pack of parsnip seeds and start them soon like you mentioned. Thanks for the prompt. I don't see as much greens like I mentioned in most gardens here in the PNW coast. Mostly Swiss Chard.

iqdiva
RE: Greens & more - Thu, 07/12/07 11:55 PM
Trask,sorry to contradict you my friend...Spaghetti squash isn't the same thing as salsify...Salsify is a root veggie...It's also called "oyster plant" because it resembles the taste of oysters...Here is a link to a photo and cultivation tips:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/salsify/salsify.html

jimcor
  • Total Posts : 148
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 12:06 AM
Mustard and collards instead of lettuce on my sandwiches! Maybe kale, it comes in at third place. Used to enjoy Swiss chard till the vendors decided to jack the prices up to 3X the everday greens prices.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 6:11 AM
I really enjoy parsnips. I plant mine around labor day and let them winter over. Come spring, actually early March when you can first turn the soil it's harvest time for them. Wintering over devlopes a sweet woodsy flavor that is better than my fall crop. Chow Jim

Trask
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 11:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Trask,sorry to contradict you my friend...Spaghetti squash isn't the same thing as salsify...Salsify is a root veggie...It's also called "oyster plant" because it resembles the taste of oysters...Here is a link to a photo and cultivation tips:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/vegetable/salsify/salsify.html

Thanks for the correction, iqdiva. I knew it was called something else and in my haste wrote the wrong thing.

iqdiva
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 12:23 PM
That's OK Trask...This will be my first time growing salsify...I've had some given to me...And,I have cooked it before...It was such a delicious vegetable,but hard to find in Dothan,Al.That made me decide to try to grow my own this year!

Trask
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 8:50 PM
Looks like salsify wil be a good cohort to plant with the parsnips. An fall crop that overwinters will be a good use of my garden plot. Long germination but the late fall & winters here will keep the ground wet for sure.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: Greens & more - Fri, 07/13/07 9:05 PM
I'll eat just about any veggie, except turnip root & parsnips. Don't ask me why, I love rutabegas, etc. Parsnips to me taste like turpentine. Strange but true.