Favorite Pastry

Cheeseburger
2003/08/19 13:08:23
What is your favorite pastry?

Mine is a toss up between a fresh hot out of the oven scone or a fresh fruit tart.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:24:46
If a doughnut counts as a pastry, it is Krispy Kreme for me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:34:27
That works, I personally prefer top pot in regards to doughnuts.
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:39:08
Lone Star
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:53:23
I am not much on sweets, but I can never pass up a rasberry linzer.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:53:48
Baked Bao-----BBQ Pork bun.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:54:53
My mom's popovers. THey are the finest use of eggs and flour I can thin of. Stuff em with butter and Mayhaw (whatelse) jelly (although peach preserves are pretty fine as well). I will post recipe as soon as I get home. They are deceptively easy to make after a few tries.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 13:56:25
Thank you. They sound wonderful and shouldn't be to hard for me to convert (I am one of the evil vegans).
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:02:58
Michael Stern: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:18:44
A yeasty, baked cinnamon roll.
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:22:39
I'd have to go with a *really* good Napoleon - crisp butter puff pastry, rich pastry cream, fondant icing, a drizzle of chocolate. I'm especially fond of ones with fresh fruit tucked in with the pastry. It's not that I'm some massive Francophile - it's just that I'm in love with the contrasts - crisp/creamy, wheat/dairy. . .I can knock off a disturbing quantity of them in relatively short order.

A great buttermilk donut is in second, and any form of fruit danish in third.

Eric
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:36:36
Vinelady,

How do you feel about eggs? Are they o.k. on your diet (they are, after all, natures perfect food
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:38:27
I use an egg substitute (assorted Startchs) and it work beautifully.
i95
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 14:48:12
The fresh, warm cinnamon rolls at Chicago's Anne Sather's. End of debate.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:05:56
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

I'd have to go with a *really* good Napoleon - crisp butter puff pastry, rich pastry cream, fondant icing, a drizzle of chocolate. I'm especially fond of ones with fresh fruit tucked in with the pastry. It's not that I'm some massive Francophile - it's just that I'm in love with the contrasts - crisp/creamy, wheat/dairy. . .I can knock off a disturbing quantity of them in relatively short order.

A great buttermilk donut is in second, and any form of fruit danish in third.

Eric

OK, OK, we are a match made in Roadfood heaven! I'll run away with you! Napoleons forever!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:39:02
The famous Round Rock donuts, since 1926:

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:41:43
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

The famous Round Rock donuts, since 1926:

Bushie: I like the one one the right with a cup of Mellow Joy.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:54:01
Sundancer, the plain glazed ARE better than the chocolate covered, in my opinion.

(BTW, I just got through eating those two after taking the picture. )
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:56:33
Any pie that comes out of my mother's kitchen, especially the fried blackberry pies......to die for.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 15:57:03
Bushie: How do they compare with KK?

It is 4:00PM in Knoxville and the computer is slow due to a worm on the network. I think I am going to the barn in a few minutes and travel down to the dock. If you get the drift. Wife just got home from New Zealand and Australia last night my guess she is a little ornery after 24 hours in the air. Give me some libation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 16:09:08
I like a cannoli, but never the miniature versions that some places try to pass off. Bonus points if chocolate chips are mixed in with the ricotta.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 16:10:09
They are BETTER than Krispy Kreme, Sundancer! Someday on one of your trips, you need to swing through Round Rock.

Good luck with the wife...
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 16:32:22
I am a nut for a cheese danish, though I think it is getting harder and harder to find a good one. Usually they are too sweet or overkilled by sugary white icing of some sort.

I also love lemon tarts. With a little bit of whipped cream and a cup of coffee. A pefect ending to a meal!

Apple turnovers rock, too.

I am so hungry now!! Damn these boards!
dbear
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 16:44:13

I'll go with a freshly filled cannoli from Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. in the North End of Boston. These are heaven; they do have the little chocolate chips in the regular filling, but offer variations on certain days, including fruit and nuts. Mike's also makes the best Boston Cream Pie I have ever had.
ocdreamr
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 21:14:48
There's not much in the way of pastries & cakes I would turn down but give me a piece of warm homemade blueberry pie with a large dip of good vanilla ice cream melting over it & I will follow you any where!
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/19 21:33:20
Baked cinnamon rolls (no raisins) with a little icing on top, or cinnamon morning buns with cinnamon and sugar. The best cinnamon rolls are at Duffey's in Denver--almost croissant-y in texture and crackly on the bottom. The Irish Cream ones are my favorite.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/20 02:14:21
oh yes, dbear, a good cannolli from Mike's Pastry is truly to die for. Afterwards an espresso at Cafe Vittoria or Cafe dello Sport, I love the North End, especially The Daily Catch (Mangia Calamari).
signman
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/20 02:40:20
I like cinnamon or cherry danish. And I mean well made danish. Nice and flaky. And no raisins, ever.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/20 20:37:16
anything from Mike,s Italian pastry shop in Bostons North End---cannolli to die for and the worlds best Ricoota Pie!!! now available online!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/20 20:52:33
I mentioned somewhere else about a funnel cake we had last Saturday...but must put it in the running here. It was a typical shaped fried Funnel Cake, almost too hot to handle....but it had hot carmel sauce (like in ice cream topping) drizzled all over it, then chopped pecan sprinkled and a dusting of the traditional powdered sugar to "snowcap the peaks and valleys! I was amazed at how good that carmel nut combination was on the hot dough. HMMMMMM !
jdg68
Junior Burger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/23 01:42:35
My grandmother's yeast cinnamon rolls. Yum. Pastries with cheese-cheese
danish, cannoli etc.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/23 02:06:42
Well, it ain't homemade but I liked them growing up and still do. The cook would throw a pat of butter on the grill. On top of the sizzling butter he would lay a Sunbeam Honey Bun fresh out of the package. Top it with bowl. Less than a minute passes, then he would flip off the bowl, turn over the Honey Bun. Seconds later a steaming lightly crisp Honey bun is set on a plate in front of you. For Nickel more, you could get a scoop of fresh Vanilla Ice Cream with it. What a memory!
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
RE: Favorite Pastry 2003/08/23 07:24:51
Like others here, I can scarcely think of a pastry that doesn't have a shot at being considered a favorite. But I guess I've got a thing for those sharing names with famous strongmen. So I go along with others in praising the Napoleon, but must add my admiration for the Bismarck as well - both preferably from[url='http://www.wrightsdairyfarm.com/']Wright's Dairy Farm.[/url]