US food abroad

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Post
NYNM
Filet Mignon
2007/07/19 16:57:06
Has anyone ever eaten in an "American" restaurant in another country? What did they serve as "American?" (or regional American?)

(USChains NOT welcome, here)

(I just posted on "Where to eat" about the NY Diner in Heidelberg Germany that sold burgers)
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 18:20:53
It never occurred to me to look for American food in a foreign country nor would I want to. The closest I suppose was in Cochabamba, Bolivia where we ate breakfast at a Dombo's. They had an Americano breakfast and of course tried to serve Americano coffee. Down the street from our hotel was a Burger King. We did not bother to check it out. Too many other choices of native food to try.

Then in Cusco, Peru we did venture into O'Grady's Irish Pub. Not an Irishman in sight. Just about everything on the menu was a deep fried Monte Cristo kind of sandwich. They didn't have Guinness either.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 20:10:09
Having lived in Europe for 7 years, why the heck would I look for "American"?? In France, I was all about French food, in Italy the same, in Belgium they always say, "reste avec nous on va faire des frites!!" Which means, stay with us! We're going to make "frites"!! (French Fries)

In Spain I met an American lady that was very upset because when she ordered a "Margarita" she kept getting a pizza! She couldn't wait to get on the plane back to the US and have a Bud Lite.
BillC
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 20:22:34
Like the above, it's never occurred to us to search out American restaurants abroad. One place that does come to mind is Haynes in Paris. It was famous for years for serving pretty authentic soul food, but we never went. I'm not sure if it's still open.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 21:33:27
We traveled around Europe with a French family for a whole summer and stayed at their home for two weeks. The last night of our visit, we told them to pick any place in Paris that they would love to go to and guess where we ended up?...................a Hilton hotel restaurant eating steaks and corn on the cob. We could not believe it!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 21:49:59
Oh Greymo! That is just SAD! You should have gone to Chez Roger a la Grenouille or Apicious or several other great restaurants in Paris!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/19 22:21:53
Seems like every major city around the world has a "Rick's Cafe" or a "Rick's Cafe Americain" that tries to do American food. Not always successfully.

American food doesn't always translate well, just as French or Italian or Chinese food in the US isn't the same as what would be found in the country of origin. Even "generics" like sandwiches and hot dogs and fries usually end up with an element of local flavor. As suggested, American international chain hotel usually end up doing the best American food.

rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/20 09:41:00
I exhibited at a trade fair in Paris; between setup, the fair itself & breakdown, we were there for over two weeks.
I thoroughly enjoyed every meal, sticking to the little brasseries and boites in our hotel's neighborhood, for the most part. Rabbit, snails, exquisite bistro food of every kind. I ate enough foie gras to stuff a goose.
But my production manager was unhappy; he could not have his daily tuna on white for lunch, and even asked me if "they have anything besides French bread".
Out of pity, I found an "American-style" restaurant, and took him to breakfast there. He happily ate his pancakes, but did not like the sausage. They were some of the best saucisses Ive ever tasted, but not like his JONES frozen breakfast links. Chacun a son gout, eh? (Each to his own taste.)
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/20 10:10:13
Years ago my family and I visited Mexico City for a week and we hired a private tour guide who was a professor at the university. He would pick us up at nine in the morning, and drive us around all day and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. However, when it came time to eat he would take us to restaurants in the area that just so happened to be owned by family members, and the food was less than good. I think it was a two fold problem, I went to Mexico City trying to get tex-mex which was idiotic on my part but even the local favorites that my husband and brothers and sisters were ordering weren't that great.

So we started asking for americanized food after a few days (we were really hungry) and he took us to this one place that was similar to a Kipps/Bob's big boy, it even had the statue out front. It was mostly american style food with a few mexican touches thrown in.

In hindsight, it was worth it for the bad meals to have the opportunity to see and experience what we were able to with that tour guide and while I haven't been back 2 of my brothers have and they called the tour guide and he meets them at the airport, and still takes them to the same family members restaurants but at least now they know what to order and what not to order
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/20 10:45:14
I went to China on a tour a few (almost 20) years ago. The worst meal I had was when the tour group members complained to the guide that they were "tired of all Chinese food" and they wanted an American style dinner.

fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 10:23:16
I try the country's version of Pizza.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 10:59:15
After spending 2 weeks in Italy eating delicious Italian meals at every sitting, we were ready for some good old American food.
I found my "fix" a Friday's in the int'l. concourse at Heathrow airport.
We stuffed ourselves with loaded 'tater skins, burgers, fries and ice tea. Believe me, that American food at a Friday's in England would never have passed muster in the USA but, it was great to us.
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 12:05:41
Sometimes you just need a taste of home; even when offered some great, although different fare.

However, I did see an awful lot of "ugly Americans" when I worked those European trade fairs.
In Cologne, Germany I listened to a fellow American exhibitor complain long & loudly to his friends on the street-car, as we all went to work for the day, that he went out for Chinese food the night before, and "the goddam menu was in German, fer Chrissakes!"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 12:55:17
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

Sometimes you just need a taste of home; even when offered some great, although different fare.

However, I did see an awful lot of "ugly Americans" when I worked those European trade fairs.
In Cologne, Germany I listened to a fellow American exhibitor complain long & loudly to his friends on the street-car, as we all went to work for the day, that he went out for Chinese food the night before, and "the goddam menu was in German, fer Chrissakes!"


As it happens, Americans are fairly well tolerated in Europe today. But, I have never heard a kind word about German tourists.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 13:21:30
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

Sometimes you just need a taste of home; even when offered some great, although different fare.

However, I did see an awful lot of "ugly Americans" when I worked those European trade fairs.
In Cologne, Germany I listened to a fellow American exhibitor complain long & loudly to his friends on the street-car, as we all went to work for the day, that he went out for Chinese food the night before, and "the goddam menu was in German, fer Chrissakes!"


As it happens, Americans are fairly well tolerated in Europe today. But, I have never heard a kind word about German tourists.


" />
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/08/25/2003200155
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 14:13:20
quote:
Originally posted by matilda

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

Sometimes you just need a taste of home; even when offered some great, although different fare.

However, I did see an awful lot of "ugly Americans" when I worked those European trade fairs.
In Cologne, Germany I listened to a fellow American exhibitor complain long & loudly to his friends on the street-car, as we all went to work for the day, that he went out for Chinese food the night before, and "the goddam menu was in German, fer Chrissakes!"


As it happens, Americans are fairly well tolerated in Europe today. But, I have never heard a kind word about German tourists.


" />
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/08/25/2003200155



Thank you for reinforcing my statement.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 14:32:15
Only the crass would discuss business at a business lunch. No wonder the French are so dominant in the world of economics.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 15:16:15
36 years ago I travelled with a large contingent of Boy Scouts from Hawaii to the World Jamboree in Asagiiri, Japan. We toured the country for a week before and then a week after the Jamboree (and spending a couple of days at a JDF base courtesy of Typhoon Olive).

Since the majority of our contingent and leaders were of Japanese heritage and spoke the language our itinerary had us eating exclusively at Japanese restaraunts, staying with host families, enjoying the communal baths as we toured the island of Honshu and the cities of Kyoto-Tokyo-Osaka-Nagoya-Hiroshima. I had a great time, having come from Hawaii, we all were used to a multi-ethnic blending of cuisines and nothing was too icky to try or taste for a 14 year old. But after three weeks of miso broths w/fish heads, white rice and other staples of true japanese cuisine, you should have seen all 40 boys tear into the 1st McDonalds that we encountered in Tokyo as we entered the Ginza area.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 15:45:02
There is a TexMex place on the Boulevard Saint Germain in Paris, near the Cluny Museum, I think. It seemed to be packed constantly, and not just with homesick Americans. I glanced at the food, and it didn't seem to be anything special. But maybe there is something unique about it for many who come there?
I think the fact is that many people are just not very adventurous eaters. They don't like going beyond their comfort zone in terms of cuisine. This would explain why many Americans turn their noses up instantly at the thought of eating organ meats, when they can be absolutely delicious properly prepared.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 16:03:59
McDonalds. . . there's a constant. A few tweaks to each country's overall menu to match local tastes, but the core menu is the same taste and presentation around the world, down to the fries.

So constant, The Economist magazine/newspaper has the "Big Mac Index" to test comparative consumer purchasing power parity across countries -- how much people pay in each country for the basically exact same item.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 16:57:04
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

McDonalds. . . there's a constant. A few tweaks to each country's overall menu to match local tastes, but the core menu is the same taste and presentation around the world, down to the fries.

So constant, The Economist magazine/newspaper has the "Big Mac Index" to test comparative consumer purchasing power parity across countries -- how much people pay in each country for the basically exact same item.





Yes, but at least they serve beer overseas.

And last time I was in Heidelberg (2 yrs ago), we stopped at Starbucks (right ther eon Hauptstrasse). I was soooo proud of my host who didn't "know" about Starbucks yet and had never been there (until we introduced him, I'm sorry to say..)
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 17:24:11
This thread reminds me of a show I once saw on BBC America. It may have been one of Gordon Ramsey's, the series where the expert comes in and fixes a restaurant that's not working. One episode, if I recall correctly, was about a woman who ran a soul food restaurant in one of the English beach resorts, maybe Brighton. That's gotta take guts!
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 18:13:05
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Only the crass would discuss business at a business lunch. No wonder the French are so dominant in the world of economics.


I've often heard that the U.S. is the only Western culture in which people are defined by what they "do" and where business is considered polite conversation. I believe it wasn't always so.

When my Dad first started doing most of his business (textiles) in the South in the late 50s and early 60s, he was quickly taught that in any business meeting it was up to the host to raise business discussion, which rarely happened at a first meeting. First it was necessary to find out where y'all were from, who you married and when, who your people were and what your background (military, education) was. Business was never discussed in front of family, friends or "the Ladies" and never at the meal, but perhaps afterwards in the office or over drinks.

Corporate America simply doesn't have time for such things, today.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 18:48:09
During our tenure in SoCal we made weekend journey's to Ensenada, Baja or the area south of it for a day's fishing. Ensenada is only a little over 100 Kilometers south of the border, and draws a lot of American visitors and short cruises out of L A and San Diego. In most of the restaurants the staff speak English, or a combination of English and Spanish that makes ordering and finding good 'stuff' fairly easy. However sometimes the cultural hodge-podge can get confusing. One of our favorite restaurants is a Chinese place near the boat-docks and shopping plaza. The problem being that the help spoke Chinese and Spanish and the menu was printed in those two languages. This meant that our orders were made by myself using my "barely adequate" (according to the U S Army)knowledge of Spanish. Most of the time we got what we wanted, but now and then a mix-up would occur.
When My Czech Cousin visited in 2005 for 10 days, We would offer choices of places to go for meals. He really liked the steakhouse dinners (Outback and Roadhouse style) and other "hi-Protein" items. Lower on his choice list were the Asian and Mexican places. He did like the Moonlite BBQ, which makes him a good candidate for food critic in my book !! He laughed at our version of "Bread"- sliced white bread, but liked the Costco Italian Roasted Garlic loaves we get frequently. And He doesn't understand how the Lawsuit over the Trade-Name of "Budwiser" could have been settled in favor of "BUD LITE" !!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 18:55:14
Welcome or not most of the "American" food you'll find outside of America is sold by chains. I've had McDonald's hamburgers around the world and they were pretty much the same. That was a couple decades ago, though, and I keep reading that these days they are putting local stuff on their menus.

Probably the first tacos I ever had were in Okinawa. There was a place there that catered mostly to off-duty marines that sold them in huge numbers (it was fascinating watching the guy deep fry the tortillas using chopsticks). In fact, that's one place to look if you ever do crave "back home" food overseas--near a US military base.

I was surprised to find in Thailand a Swenson's Ice cream shop.

Here's the SF version


They apparently have a far east subsidiary HQ'd in Singapore.

Otherwise, it's hard to think of too much (maybe big honking steaks) that's identified as "American". We are a nation of immigrants. Most of our food is an adaptation of something from the "old country" and often the "old country" version is better.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 19:07:12
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Only the crass would discuss business at a business lunch. No wonder the French are so dominant in the world of economics.


I've often heard that the U.S. is the only Western culture in which people are defined by what they "do" and where business is considered polite conversation. I believe it wasn't always so.

When my Dad first started doing most of his business (textiles) in the South in the late 50s and early 60s, he was quickly taught that in any business meeting it was up to the host to raise business discussion, which rarely happened at a first meeting. First it was necessary to find out where y'all were from, who you married and when, who your people were and what your background (military, education) was. Business was never discussed in front of family, friends or "the Ladies" and never at the meal, but perhaps afterwards in the office or over drinks.

Corporate America simply doesn't have time for such things, today.


This is the way I recall it always having been done. Still is in general, depending on who called the meeting...LOL.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 19:08:46
As I read all this, I think, isn't it sad that to the rest of the world, there is no point to opening an "Ameican" rstaurant (whatever that is...)

Here in NYC, of course, we have Afghan, Peruvian, Turkish, Scandanavian, etc. etc restaurant. I know in Germany, most towns have Chinese, Balkan, Italian, etc. It makes me wonder, are we perceived of as having no cuisine? or just that junk food? or that no one wants to say "Oh, let's eat American tonight!" or what??

I know in Heidelberg there was one place on Hauptstrasse that was called Coyote Cafe and I thought of Mark Miller and expected good southwestern cooking, but it turned out to be a bar that played jazz.

I wonder if they sell "American Cookbooks" (ie Let's Cook American!!) overseas or if no one cares.....
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 19:34:35
^^^Let's put it this way: If you were opening an American restaurant in Europe, what would you serve?

I know one problem with such a concept when I was living in Japan would have been cost. Meat in "American" quantities would have been unavoidably expensive. And so a "roadfood" sort of American restaurant would have been almost impossible.
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 20:13:06
BT,
Don't ask me why, but the one thing I can vividly remember about the summer of '71 and that trip was that the Yen was 360 to $1 on exchange. Not like the 120 to $1 it is today.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/21 23:25:25
^^^By 1973 when I was there, it was down to 270.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 00:59:35
There was this little place in Burgau, Germany, (Gerberstueble) where the owner was determined to make a great American Style Cheeseburger. Frequenting his place over the 10 yrs I was there, I became his "official" tester.

He came up with many variations, his "Western" burger, for example, had corn on it topped with melted cheese and bacon. Actually was pretty good! By the time I finally left Germany, he had 5 or 6 different Burgers on his permanent menu. He also made some outstanding Garlic Fries...my Wife always knew when I had been to the Gerberstueble!

DD

PS, last time I was back someone had opened a Mexican Restaurant in Guenzburg (where I lived). A buddy of mine and I decided to give it a try, we knew we were in trouble when the Special of the day was a "BORRITO." We decided just to have some chips and salsa (spicy ketchup?) and a Margarita....this Tequila was absolutley undrinkable...we asked for their best, a brand I had never heard of, it was awful! By the way, if you are brave enough to do a shot of tequila, silver will get you salt and lemon, gold will get you.......cinnamon and an Orange slice!

But, having said that...man can they make a mean Schnitzel and Beer!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 01:48:54
There are many good American style burger restaurants in London. I have been to a few good ones near Harrods and in the Chelsea area.
We always got a laugh watching the "Brits" eat their burgers. Rather than pick up a burger with their hands like us, they will separate the bun and the meat and fixuns on the plate and proceed to cut a small piece of meat and then cut a piece of bun and dip it all in ketchup and eat it with a fork.
I never saw them eat pizza with their hands either.




desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 09:37:09
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

There are many good American style burger restaurants in London. I have been to a few good ones near Harrods and in the Chelsea area.
We always got a laugh watching the "Brits" eat their burgers. Rather than pick up a burger with their hands like us, they will separate the bun and the meat and fixuns on the plate and proceed to cut a small piece of meat and then cut a piece of bun and dip it all in ketchup and eat it with a fork.
I never saw them eat pizza with their hands either.




Germans are the same way. They even eat their french fries with a fork. You are considered a neanderthal if you dare eat pizza with your hands!



Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 10:15:39
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Welcome or not most of the "American" food you'll find outside of America is sold by chains. I've had McDonald's hamburgers around the world and they were pretty much the same. That was a couple decades ago, though, and I keep reading that these days they are putting local stuff on their menus.

Probably the first tacos I ever had were in Okinawa. There was a place there that catered mostly to off-duty marines that sold them in huge numbers (it was fascinating watching the guy deep fry the tortillas using chopsticks). In fact, that's one place to look if you ever do crave "back home" food overseas--near a US military base.

I was surprised to find in Thailand a Swenson's Ice cream shop.

Here's the SF version

They apparently have a far east subsidiary HQ'd in Singapore.

Otherwise, it's hard to think of too much (maybe big honking steaks) that's identified as "American". We are a nation of immigrants. Most of our food is an adaptation of something from the "old country" and often the "old country" version is better.


There are many foods that could be identified as American. Pretty much anything with turkey, corn and bison

I would also put in the American category things like BBQ. Yes, many cultures have some form of BBQ, but America has several forms that are unique to America.

Even when it comes to steak, I think America is more than just big steaks. For instance, I don't think Chicken Fried Steak was brought from some place else.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 12:19:05
^^^Corn isn't uniquely American (think polenta) although eating on the cob may be. I've never eaten bison and don't want to--nor have most Americans I suspect, even though one of my favorite roadfood places, Tommy's Joynt, serves bison stew. Turkey also isn't uniquely American. I'm not sure how much they eat it in Europe, but turkey with mole is a standard in Mexico. I thought about chicken fried steak, but they bread and fry every other kind of meat in Europe so I doubt they'd find beef unusual.

Yeah, you could probably open a BBQ joint with pulled pork and corn on the cob and call it "American food". But I suspect we are like the British--without the sort of reputation as a source of tasty chow that would draw in the majority of locals. Ever seen a restaurant here serving "English" food (pseudo English "pubs" don't count).
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 12:23:21
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

There are many good American style burger restaurants in London.





But does Wimpy really count? I've always thought of them as competition to American burger joints, not one of the "boys".
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 12:32:49
What about "fusion?" LOL.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 12:42:47
"Yeah, you could probably open a BBQ joint with pulled pork and corn on the cob and call it "American food". But I suspect we are like the British--without the sort of reputation as a source of tasty chow that would draw in the majority of locals. Ever seen a restaurant here serving "English" food (pseudo English "pubs" don't count)."

Ah, so American cuisine suffers from bad P.R. Maybe the influence of America's favorite Scottish restaurant?

I think I've mentioned it elsewhere, but even in Boston the Irish and English pubs (other than the outpost of the Elephant & Castle chain) serve very little native fare. Maybe a shepards pie, fish & chips (which you can get made just as poorly anywhere in town) and an Irish breakfast for weekend brunch. It's mostly burgers, reubens and club sandwiches. A few years ago they were all specializing in fajitas. Now it's Pan-Asian. And the emigres and tourists from the Old Sod love it.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 15:22:06
Chicken fried steaks and breaded pork tenderloins are nothing but variations of Wiener Schnitzel.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/22 16:20:24
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Chicken fried steaks and breaded pork tenderloins are nothing but variations of Wiener Schnitzel.


True, but those very German dishes are not made with pan creamed gravy.
Now, that's American!
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 02:02:56
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Chicken fried steaks and breaded pork tenderloins are nothing but variations of Wiener Schnitzel.


Actually, the Germans also love pork "schnitzel". And so do the Japanese (Ton Katsu). It's only beef I haven't seen anyone overseas bread and fry, but I bet they do it.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 03:16:39
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Chicken fried steaks and breaded pork tenderloins are nothing but variations of Wiener Schnitzel.


Actually, the Germans also love pork "schnitzel". And so do the Japanese (Ton Katsu). It's only beef I haven't seen anyone overseas bread and fry, but I bet they do it.


I believe the meat of choice is, veal.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 03:19:50
If you see it on the menu as, ala "Holstein", then it comes with a soft boiled egg on top.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 10:14:49
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Chicken fried steaks and breaded pork tenderloins are nothing but variations of Wiener Schnitzel.


Actually, the Germans also love pork "schnitzel". And so do the Japanese (Ton Katsu). It's only beef I haven't seen anyone overseas bread and fry, but I bet they do it.


I believe the meat of choice is, veal.



You'll find both on the menus in Germany. The Pork Schnitzel is usually on there as a less expensive alternative to the Veal.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 10:59:11
Hmm, do I detect gravy on that Waldgeist in Hofheim schnitzel?


Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/23 11:12:30
Looks like a German version of pizza. Regardless-I'd eat that!
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/24 12:43:54
We lived on Okinawa from 1960 to 1962 or 63.
We ate american food on base,but ate local food at various places.
It didn't bother us a bit.If we wanted american momma or daddy would cook it at home,or if out on base, we'd eat it there.
My dad was TDY to England and Germany back in the late 1950s.
I don't know what if any american food was available off base then.Being german and speaking the language, the food was something he was familiar with,eating it at home as a kid.
He spoke more about places he saw and relatives he visited with in Garmisch than the food.Though he did mention a place called the Rosenhaus or Rosentauher(rosetower) I think in either Frankfort or Dusseldorf,can't recall what city right now.
If I ever get to Europe some day,I want to eat what the locals eat
I can get McDonald's at home.There are so many food choices over there.
cyrano
Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/24 22:42:27
30+ years ago, I was working offshore in the North Sea and spent a lot of time in London...where the first Hard Rock Cafe had just opened. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. There was some of the rock and roll memorabilia shtick, but mostly it was about American diner/hamburger joint food, and it was quite good. There were already McDonald's most everywhere, and only the diehard English hadn't chosen it over the dreaded Wimpy (any of those left? I hope not). These days, I would only go to a Hard Rock under force majeure, but back in the day, when we were all younger, it was a welcome reminder of home.

Around that time, I blundered into a Greek restaurant in London that listed pina coladas on their drink list. Foolishly, I ordered one, which was undrinkable-- they substituted gin for the rum.

The other reminder of home was when I persuaded Fortnum & Mason, the very high-toned purveyor of foodstuffs to the toffs, to carry Wolf Brand Chili for me and the other American pipeliners. Cost us about $4 a can in 1974, and worth every penny.

Then when I lived in England again in the mid-90s, this time in Lancashire, I had utterly maxed out on mushy peas, soggy Yorkshire pudding, and fatty/gristly roast beef, when one day, driving on a motorway on the outskirts of Manchester, I saw a beacon of hope-- TGI Friday's. They'd just opened, and I believe it was the first one in the UK and they didn't really have the concept down yet (or at least the waitrons didn't-- but God love 'em, they tried to be chatty and have flair), but they had the margarita mix from the States in stock and the bartender could read directions, and their quesadilla was a dead ringer for its US counterpart. And they didn't charge for refills on coke.

But I also found that both Safeway and Tesco carried a lot of American-type foods-- weiners and hot dog buns, chocolate chip cookies (sometimes the American brands, even...although I always passed them up for my ultimate weakness, Fox Ginger Crunch Cremes), even canned black eyed peas. And around that time, American beer had just started to "invade" England...which was nothing thrilling for me, vastly preferring Heineken or Harp lager, until one day a mate in a pub insisted on buying me a Coors...which was surprisingly good, and surprisingly like Heineken. No surprise, really, since Heineken was brewing it under license in Holland.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/24 23:13:27
I was in England when the very first TGIF Friday's opened back in the early 80's. It was located in Birmingham (England). I remember my ex and I were taken there by business associates. The food was actually pretty good, But, it took forever to get the food out of the kitchen to the (filled to capacity) crowd of diners.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 03:31:26
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow
I believe the meat of choice is, veal.


For Weiner Schnitzel, not for Schweineschnitzel (which is pork)--but both are common.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 11:30:22
quote:
Originally posted by cyrano

30+ years ago, I was working offshore in the North Sea and spent a lot of time in London...where the first Hard Rock Cafe had just opened. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. There was some of the rock and roll memorabilia shtick, but mostly it was about American diner/hamburger joint food, and it was quite good. There were already McDonald's most everywhere, and only the diehard English hadn't chosen it over the dreaded Wimpy (any of those left? I hope not). These days, I would only go to a Hard Rock under force majeure, but back in the day, when we were all younger, it was a welcome reminder of home.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 11:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
Originally posted by cyrano

30+ years ago, I was working offshore in the North Sea and spent a lot of time in London...where the first Hard Rock Cafe had just opened.



Ooops - I think I have to have a reply here somewhere:

Ah...interesting stuff.

It reminds me of when many years ago I worked in marketing research for (Kraft) General Foods. I had to make some calls to the General Foods office in France. (they were all over the world of course). Well, GF France hardly spoke English and were pretty, shall I say, "distant" on the phone. It is amazing that French people would actually work for a US food company!!!They certainly weren't going to speak English tho, even to US execs.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 12:29:15
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow
I believe the meat of choice is, veal.


For Weiner Schnitzel, not for Schweineschnitzel (which is pork)--but both are common.


I'm going to have to correct you, BT. A Wienerschnitzel is a piece of meat prepared Viennese (Vienna, or Wien in German) style, that is dipped in egg, milk and seasoned bread crumbs, then pan fried.

This is traditionally done with Veal, but as meat prices go up, pork has become more commonplace. A schweineschnitzel is just that, a pork cutlett, just like Kalbschnitzel is a veal cutlett, that can be prepared in a number of different ways, not necessarily Viennese Style.

But the meat, be it pork or veal, prepared "nach Wiener art" is considered a Wienerschnitzel, at least in Southern German (Bavarian) restaurants.

Regardless, it is one of my absolute favorites, and order it often while I'm back in der Vaterland!



DD


NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 13:17:38
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow
I believe the meat of choice is, veal.


For Weiner Schnitzel, not for Schweineschnitzel (which is pork)--but both are common.


I'm going to have to correct you, BT. A Wienerschnitzel is a piece of meat prepared Viennese (Vienna, or Wien in German) style, that is dipped in egg, milk and seasoned bread crumbs, then pan fried.

This is traditionally done with Veal, but as meat prices go up, pork has become more commonplace. A schweineschnitzel is just that, a pork cutlett, just like Kalbschnitzel is a veal cutlett, that can be prepared in a number of different ways, not necessarily Viennese Style.

But the meat, be it pork or veal, prepared "nach Wiener art" is considered a Wienerschnitzel, at least in Southern German (Bavarian) restaurants.

Regardless, it is one of my absolute favorites, and order it often while I'm back in der Vaterland!



DD





Ja!

Well said.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 13:34:33
Very interesting discussion. But if I get back to Germany, I would never order anything but the veal. I get enough pork versions in the US.

NOW...even though the comment was made not to refer to chains, they were my ONLY experience with "American" food in Europe. In Geneva, I went straight to a fondue joint, but a few of the girls couldn't handle the wine taste and wanted to go to...McDonald's. I wanted to beat them.

Nevertheless, I went along, because we didn't think they should go out alone. I did try a chocolate milkshake. Nothing like it tastes here...then again, I was in chocoheaven.

Soooooooo, when I went to Lyon later in the trip, I experimented with THEIR McDonald's chocolate shake. Another taste entirely. So even the chains have variations.

But my rule of thumb is never to eat "American" in Europe and never to eat at a chain when I'm out of my hometown. My brother falls prey to idiots who want to hit up the Shoney's in Dallas or wherever. I would not, do not, tolerate that, Sam I Am.

Here is one odd exception: I stayed at a B&B in Munich, where the owners were an American (Virginia) lady and her Austrian husband. She asked what kind of breakfast I wanted, but decided I should settle on "both." So it was scrambled eggs, and cold cuts, and cheeses, and bacon, and coffee, and...

Best Euro-American breakfast I've ever had. Perhaps the only.
spicoli
Hamburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 13:42:05
Pretty much the only non-chain American restaurant I've found in Paris is one on Rue de Lappe in Bastille that offers "Tex-Mex" cuisine I decided not to partake. I've heard rumors that they do Ribs, US-style (like I've seen in American restaurants in Australia).

One funny item that I found on the menu of the Parisian dorm I was in about 10 years back as a student was something called, "salade californienne" or "Californian Salad". It consisted of Rice, tuna and corn. People often asked me if that's what we ate back in San Francisco. Uh, yeah....

As for pizza in France, I just had some a few days ago (just got back to the US last night). "La pizza campagnarde" consisted of salami, ham, smoked bacon chunks (lardons), onions, and a fried egg on top. A TASTE EXPLOSION.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/07/25 15:09:14
I remember a small newpaper article on the wall of (Famous) Ray's pizza in NYC. Apparently a number of NYC students were studying in London and got an urge for US pizza (Ray's) so they took up a collection, called Rays, and then sent a studnet on one of the (then) low fare airlines to pick up the pizzas. I believe they were still warm when they arrived in UK. That's sure missing US food!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/08/08 12:09:53
I just picked up a cookbook on remainder ($1.99) at Border's:

USA Cookbook (or similar title)(it's part of aseries on Foods of the World,another goodie is South American Food).

It is from England,and it is rather funny (not trying to be) listing "typical" American foods - with ingredients in "English" (ie, UK) such as: courreges,biscuits, etc. Some suggestions of "typical" US recipes (noting we do have more than Junk Food): chilli (2 ll's), lemon (meringue) pie, fried chicken (of course), and more I don't remember but will post when I get the book out again.

Check it out - certainly worth $1.99.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: US food abroad 2007/08/08 12:25:59
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I just picked up a cookbook on remainder ($1.99) at Border's:

USA Cookbook (or similar title)(it's part of aseries on Foods of the World,another goodie is South American Food).

It is from England,and it is rather funny (not trying to be) listing "typical" American foods - with ingredients in "English" (ie, UK) such as: courreges,biscuits, etc. Some suggestions of "typical" US recipes (noting we do have more than Junk Food): chilli (2 ll's), lemon (meringue) pie, fried chicken (of course), and more I don't remember but will post when I get the book out again.

Check it out - certainly worth $1.99.


Sounds like fun, it reminds me of a postcard I saw once at the Staten Island Mall. Typical postcard design with the banner, "Greetings From U.S.A." supered over a map with blow-ups of, I think, the Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon and such. That's one comprehensive tour!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: US food abroad 2007/08/08 15:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I just picked up a cookbook on remainder ($1.99) at Border's:

USA Cookbook (or similar title)(it's part of aseries on Foods of the World,another goodie is South American Food).

It is from England,and it is rather funny (not trying to be) listing "typical" American foods - with ingredients in "English" (ie, UK) such as: courreges,biscuits, etc. Some suggestions of "typical" US recipes (noting we do have more than Junk Food): chilli (2 ll's), lemon (meringue) pie, fried chicken (of course), and more I don't remember but will post when I get the book out again.

Check it out - certainly worth $1.99.


Sounds like fun, it reminds me of a postcard I saw once at the Staten Island Mall. Typical postcard design with the banner, "Greetings From U.S.A." supered over a map with blow-ups of, I think, the Statue of Liberty, Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon and such. That's one comprehensive tour!


Yes, if it's Tuesday, it must be USA!!

(and what kind of tourists go to the Staten Island Mall, may I ask???)
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2