Swiss Chard

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2007/07/22 10:47:28
I usually make a nice Sunday dinner for my kids and I and am roasting a duck today. As sides I am trying Near East's whole grain wheat pilaf( I am using many more whole grain items lately) and swiss chard. Any input on how I should cook the swiss chard other than just steaming it? My kids are not big fans of it but your eating vegetables is not negotiable in my house
mland520
Cheeseburger
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/22 10:54:00
see if your kiddoes will eat it if prepared this way:
put a little olive oil in the bottom of a skillet- add some shallots chopped or green onions, if you don't have shallots- maybe a touch of garlic- then add the swiss chard- let it saute a moment or two then cover- the chard wilts quickly, don't let it overcook - and the results taste delicious! Sometimes I even cut up a little fresh tomato, this adds a little visual interest to the pan.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/22 10:56:47
Thanks mland, that sounds good!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/25 11:35:59
When I was a kid, my mom would often cook Swiss Chard (along with Swiss steak!!) and it was OK. She did sautee it with onions and garlic and I sorta enjoyed it.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/25 19:46:54
...add some toasted pine nuts to mland's recipe, and i'm in chard heaven!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/27 13:43:07
I love swiss chard, one of the best ways I use it besides sauteed is parboil it al dante and use it in a quiche instead of spinach and yess I usually use swiss cheese for that particular quiche. It is very tasty and healthful.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
RE: Swiss Chard 2007/07/27 13:59:23
Sorry,

I know this is late and also ancillary but next time try this:

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes/swiss_chard_gratin.aspx

It is especially good.

BB