Cilantro storage

lone nut
  • Total Posts : 69
  • Reward points : 0
Cilantro storage - Sun, 07/22/07 7:07 PM
I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
-Scott Lindgren

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Cilantro storage - Mon, 07/23/07 9:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lone nut

I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
-Scott Lindgren

That works really well. You can also place it in a jar with some water and place it on your window sill. It will keep just as long and not get limp or bruised.

joe

lone nut
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Cilantro storage - Tue, 07/24/07 12:36 AM
OK, Texanjoe, I will try that thing with the jar; Should there be a lid on it? I still think making a fresh cut on the stems is not a bad idea, what about refrigeration? Why am I placing the jar on the windowsill?
I'm from Dallas, what about you?
Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
-Scott Lindgren

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Cilantro storage - Tue, 07/24/07 9:50 AM
No lid. Fresh cut is a good idea. It will continue to absorbe water and stay fresh like fresh cut flowers. Not needed if done this way. For the sunlight. Houston. Yuck.

joe

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Cilantro storage - Tue, 07/24/07 1:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lone nut

Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
-Scott Lindgren

I think Tara's in Santa Fe makes it!

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Cilantro storage - Mon, 07/30/07 10:19 AM
Glad to see this, as I just took a dried out bunch from the fridge drawer.. nice and dried up, crunchy and fell apart when I touched it..
I wonder if I can still use it as a dried seasoning...LOL....

This post might be better off in the Misc/Cooking or Food related thread....

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
RE: Cilantro storage - Mon, 07/30/07 10:36 AM
I store basil, cilantro, parsley, and other herbs by washing them when I bring them home, then allowing them to dry throughly before wrapping them in damp paper towels and putting them in the refrigerator. They'll usually last for more than a week that way.