Cilantro storage

Hamburger
2007/07/22 19:07:32
I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
-Scott Lindgren
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/23 09:19:01
quote:
Originally posted by lone nut

I forget where I read this tip on cilantro. When I buy a bunch, which admittedly is almost free, I generally can't use it all before it's gotten sort of rotten. Then, a few days after I've bought one, I have to run back to the store for a fresh bunch. So, here's the tip, seems to work well: Cut an inch or two of stems off, wrap a moist paper towel around the freshly cut stems, put the bunch back in the produce bag, and toss it in the fridge. I can get at least a week out of the bunch this way.
-Scott Lindgren

That works really well. You can also place it in a jar with some water and place it on your window sill. It will keep just as long and not get limp or bruised.

joe
lone nut
Hamburger
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 00:36:55
OK, Texanjoe, I will try that thing with the jar; Should there be a lid on it? I still think making a fresh cut on the stems is not a bad idea, what about refrigeration? Why am I placing the jar on the windowsill?
I'm from Dallas, what about you?
Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
-Scott Lindgren
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 09:50:38
No lid. Fresh cut is a good idea. It will continue to absorbe water and stay fresh like fresh cut flowers. Not needed if done this way. For the sunlight. Houston. Yuck.

joe
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/24 13:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by lone nut

Ooh, here's a thought: Cilantro ICE CREAM!!
-Scott Lindgren

I think Tara's in Santa Fe makes it!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/30 10:19:59
Glad to see this, as I just took a dried out bunch from the fridge drawer.. nice and dried up, crunchy and fell apart when I touched it..
I wonder if I can still use it as a dried seasoning...LOL....

This post might be better off in the Misc/Cooking or Food related thread....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cilantro storage 2007/07/30 10:36:44
I store basil, cilantro, parsley, and other herbs by washing them when I bring them home, then allowing them to dry throughly before wrapping them in damp paper towels and putting them in the refrigerator. They'll usually last for more than a week that way.