Cornbread

elad
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 12:53 PM
I was in the Roadhouse Bar-B-Que the other night and they offered their usual cornbread or blueberry cornbread. Has anyone ever had blueberry cornbread? I was quite surprised, it was really good and went well with my BBQ.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 1:10 PM
Blueberry cornbread??? Sounds like some heathen Yankee concoction!

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 1:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Real Yankee cornbread is made with apple slices or blueberries

Sothern corncake has peaches in it!

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 1:52 PM
sounds good anyhow! I like all types of cornbreadstuffs..

fdaniels
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 2:36 PM
Basically then, it's a flat blueberry muffin.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9528
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 7:24 PM
You can put almost anything in cornbread. I've made Pepperoni cornbread and it was terrific.

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 7:47 PM
Elad,I must agree with Adjudicator...To a Southerner,that is an abomination...But,I have made an apple and sausage cornbread for brunch...It was delicious with eggs...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 8:15 PM
I like to put onion, corn and jalapeno's in my Tennessee fried cornbread. I like to bake it at 425F for about 45 minutes until it has a nice thick brown cruist on it.

I call it fried cornbread because I put oil in the pan and preheat so when I put the cornmeal in it, it starts frying immediately.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6212
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 10:00 PM
I prefer savory to sweet, thus often adding jalapenos and cheddar cheese.

I also put the oil (or bacon fat) in the pan and preheat.....comes out nice and crispy on the bottom.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9528
RE: Cornbread - Sat, 07/28/07 10:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I also put the oil (or bacon fat) in the pan and preheat.....comes out nice and crispy on the bottom.

IMHO, the only way to cook cornbread is to add oil to a CAST IRON FRY PAN, heat it to 350 degrees in the oven and then add cornbread mixture & bake to perfection.

Sundancer7
RE: Cornbread - Sun, 07/29/07 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

IMHO, the only way to cook cornbread is to add oil to a CAST IRON FRY PAN, heat it to 350 degrees in the oven and then add cornbread mixture & bake to perfection.

I am sure that it comes out very good at 350F but I bump it up to 425F. It seems that I get a better crust like that.

Like Lleechef, I like it savory, not sweet. That is the reason I add onions, jalapenos and corn. Sometimes even a little ground cheddar.

Immediately after popping it out of the pan, I like to add a large slab of slightly salted butter.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Adjudicator
RE: Cornbread - Sun, 07/29/07 10:42 AM
I usually add only creamed corn, some "secret spices", and a stick of melted butter to my batter, although I have added all mentioned before @ some time or the other. I use only whole buttermilk, also. Much better flavor to me. Like Paul my oven is set similar. Another stick of melted goodness is also added to the top after the the beast is done. Cast iron pan; oven cooked only. Valhalia!

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Cornbread - Sun, 07/29/07 11:11 AM
I love to add bits of bacon to the bacon grease that is in the cast iron skillet- and almost always make the cornbread with creamed corn (homemade)-and 450 is the temp I use for a delicious crispy crust

Adjudicator
RE: Cornbread - Sun, 07/29/07 11:18 AM
Bacon grease & bacon crispies 100% of time 4 me! Hot Dang!

Sundancer7
RE: Cornbread - Sun, 07/29/07 8:43 PM
I have never used creamed corn, only Mexicorn or just plain corn. I sorta like Mexicorn as it has other ingredients.

I like it right out of the over smothered with butter. When I do that, it is usually a complete meal for me.. I only use a small cast iron pan for my cornbread. I guess it is around 8-9 inches. It is more than enough for me and my devil dog. I get the pan white hot before I add the mixture of cornmeal, oil, corn, peppers and onion.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 12:15 AM
quote:

Dont blame the Yankees.. Best we get up here is MAYBE some JalapeƱo pieces and I heard rumor that some places add some corn... Though we have tons of blueberry farms in the area, this is a first for me.

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 1:10 AM
i love the iron skillet and 15min before its done put a honeybutter glaze aka honey/butter/pinch of salt bake at 350 it forms a nice crust you might wanna back the heat off a little if your oven runs hot.... i mean you can do so much with cornbread just pair it with the right food but always serve w/greens (cornbread and greens thats is a meal)
heres one fry some andooey sausage w/ some onions/garlic jalapenos fold into batter then top with cream cheese and honey(mixed well)in the last 5 min of cooking....i just turn oven off and let sit and rest for 5 or 10 min....let it get happy!!!!
enjoy
ron

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 7:22 AM
quote:

You Johnny Rebs should leave some of the sugar out and put some cheese, kernels of corn and jalapeno's in; bacon sounds good too!

Adjudicator
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 7:48 AM
Sugar??????? That worse than the fruit idea...

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6212
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 11:50 AM
I could very possibly be wrong, but I think that the addition of sugar to cornbread, along with more baking powder is called Johnnycake in New England.

KIMMYJ1962
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 3:28 PM
I love to add sugar to my cornbread and my daughter likes me to make it so sweet that it's sticky! Maybe at that point it's not even considered cornbread or johnnycake but, then again, I am a Yankee!!!

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 888
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 5:34 PM
Kimmy -- At that point it's just "cake"...

Sundancer7
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 6:01 PM
My grandmother used cornbread in many different ways. She baked some for the fox hounds my grandfather had, she baked some for the pigs that they raised for personal consumption and she baked some for their personal use.

I was very young when she did this but what she raised for the dogs and pigs was very different that she baked for personal consumption. It was a heavy grind which she indicated that could not use. I have no idea what it was.

Her cornbread for personal consumption was very good and baked in a coal stove. I guess it did the trick because I always enjoyed it however I like what I do now very much.

The dogs and the pigs enjoyed it also as there was never any left over. Grandpa Smith was a fox hunter and he had about six hounds. he would take them out at night with some of his friends and they would build a fire, have a little East TN libation and discuss local politics and BS. I know because they took me with them. I personally found it very boring but they could identify their dogs while they were chasing a fox by their sound. They all sounded the same to me but I believe they really could.

The pigs went nuts over the corn bread. Grandma Smith added other ingredients to the corn bread which she called slop. I have no idea what it was but I recall them going crazy over it. They would squeal with their evening treat. Grandpa Smith also had domesticated geese which horned in over the action. They managed to avoid the rampage of the pigs. Much to their dismay, the pigs got really huge around Thanksgiving which mean't the end to their days.

Ham and sausage and porkchops were then available plus cracklings which was the left over from the carefully cut up pieces of skin and fat which was rendered down to make lard for the following year plus there was souse meat and other goodies that remained.

Thanksgiving was always a great day with fresh pork chops and corn bread. That was about 55-60 years ago for me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 6:04 PM
Paul,did your grandmother ever make crackling cornbread ? Mine did...

Sundancer7
RE: Cornbread - Mon, 07/30/07 6:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Paul,did your grandmother ever make crackling cornbread ? Mine did...

All the time. after they rendered the skin/fat combination what was left was their oil (lard) for the following year. The crispy fresh cracklins were super good and the used them for the corn bread and other seasoning. I always felt my grandfather rat holed some away for his evening libation. I know I would have.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Cornbread - Wed, 08/1/07 11:13 AM
I just recently had some blueberry cornbread at it was delicious. I bought it at our "Fresh Market". I do love just plain old cornbread, but this was a nice change.