Chile Roastin Time...

Filet Mignon
2007/07/30 20:25:48
I see the chile roasters are already set up in the bank parking lot on Cerrillos road in Santa Fe....mmmmmmm...thise roastin smells are comin soon...mmmmm
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/07/31 09:14:54
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

I see the chile roasters are already set up in the bank parking lot on Cerrillos road in Santa Fe....mmmmmmm...thise roastin smells are comin soon...mmmmm

Sometimes when those roasts are underway I feel like I am in a Cheech and Chong movie. Is the Whole Foods supermarket (great place) doing the roasting?
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/07/31 09:24:56
I admit it: I don't get the reference to Cheech & Chong. Please explain...

Just now the chile sitings are in the parking lot of First National Bank of Santa Fe. In fact, from a distance I thought it was a BBQ, but they don't really have them in SF, esp. in bank parking lots. I will check around town, more may be popping up. Albertsons' stores usually have ones in their parking lots but not that I know of over at Whole Foods.

I love how you get one of thos huge burlap sacks of the peppers and they roast them right in front of you. And I ususally eat a bunch of warm ones on the drive home
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/07/31 09:51:13
quote:

I admit it: I don't get the reference to Cheech & Chong. Please explain...

To me the smell of the roast is eerily reminiscent of marijuana. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about! I've only smelled that stuff a few times. But they say smell is the one sense that triggers the most memories.
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/07/31 09:52:50
LOL....ok Bill. (as in Clinton)
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/07/31 10:57:56
quote:
Originally posted by exsquidao

LOL....ok Bill. (as in Clinton)

Not me!! Not ever! Been around it? Yep! Never did it though, not even tempted! Drunk before? Hell yeah!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/26 18:19:29
I am noticing all different varities of chile for roasting: Hatch, Socorro and (in Chimayo) Chimayo. Plus some other types arund Espanola at the SF Farmers Market. Does anyone have a favorite?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/27 06:56:28
I get mine from Chimayo where a friend's mother raises them. They give me enough that I always have a good stash in the freezer once I've exhausted the fresh.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/27 11:16:19
quote:

I am noticing all different varities of chile for roasting: Hatch, Socorro and (in Chimayo) Chimayo. Plus some other types arund Espanola at the SF Farmers Market. Does anyone have a favorite?
Pasilla and arbol.
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/27 15:38:16
I love Pasillas! we just roasted some on the grill!
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/27 21:17:54
Now I know that Hatch chile comes from Hatch,NM Socorro from Socorro NM and Chimayo from Chimayo NM(duh).

Does Pasilla and Arbol come from any specific place?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/28 01:57:46
Arbol is grown mainly in Mexico and usually found in Mexican grocery stores, of which there are no shortage in this area. Arbols will heat up your mouth a bit, coming in at around 30,000 Scovilles.

Pasilla I don't know anything about except it's more readily available, both in its fresh and dried forms.
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/28 22:21:18
Well, fresh green chile lovers, I expedited from southern New Mexico yesterday via UPS a bushel of freshly picked Hatch green to our Cajun friend, 007bond, old JB. He says he knows how to roast and put away these morsels of goodness. I sent along my recommendations as to preparation and freezing. He and I have been doing some "trading", no $ involved.
Occurred to me to make this offer. Foremost, I'm not looking to make a profit from anyone. However, I offer a thought for my Roadfood friends. I do have a reasonably good source to fresh green chile. A bushel roasted and frozen keeps my wife and I doing very well from one year to the next. Roasting and putting away is somewhat a fun time for us. Currently,and not likely to change, a bushel I can get will cost me $15.00,thats YOUR PRICE. Now, add to that shipping cost. JB's bushel cost about $24.00, via UPS. If you are interested, e-mail me, we'll work out the details. The fresh Chile source I have will end about mid Sept.
Ole Rouxdog
Dean Lollar
Carrizozo, New Mexico

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/30 17:51:23
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

Well, fresh green chile lovers, I expedited from southern New Mexico yesterday via UPS a bushel of freshly picked Hatch green to our Cajun friend, 007bond, old JB. He says he knows how to roast and put away these morsels of goodness. I sent along my recommendations as to preparation and freezing. He and I have been doing some "trading", no $ involved.
Occurred to me to make this offer. Foremost, I'm not looking to make a profit from anyone. However, I offer a thought for my Roadfood friends. I do have a reasonably good source to fresh green chile. A bushel roasted and frozen keeps my wife and I doing very well from one year to the next. Roasting and putting away is somewhat a fun time for us. Currently,and not likely to change, a bushel I can get will cost me $15.00,thats YOUR PRICE. Now, add to that shipping cost. JB's bushel cost about $24.00, via UPS. If you are interested, e-mail me, we'll work out the details. The fresh Chile source I have will end about mid Sept.
Ole Rouxdog
Dean Lollar
Carrizozo, New Mexico

Great idea. Good price (about the same as they ask for a bushel up in Santa Fe). Yes, I encourages RFers to give it a try - these frozen Hatches can keep you happy all winter. NM chile has varying heats but it also has a touch of sweetness that makes it special. Besides freezing it, I guess you could dry a few and group them up for powder, another way to use it.
rouxdog
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/30 20:26:08
NYNM, thanks for the heads up regarding pepper heat levels. Currently I can get four levels of intensity, mild, medium, hot and extra hot.
Having a little fun here NYNM, the hanging strand of chiles is called a Ristra. "Two footers" always hang from our pot rack in the kitchen. Once fully dried we pull a few off process and enjoy. Good thought you have, I'd be pleased to pass along the method of stringing a Ristra. Requires nothing more than chiles and butcher twine.
Down here in the land of Manana, a beautiful fragrant Ristra of drying chiles is better than looking at a Picasso painting!
mland520
Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/30 21:03:01
Hatch chilies have been available here in Dallas for the past two weeks- Central Market, Whole Foods and Albertsons are the only places I have been able to get them. Price not too bad- Albertsons had them for $0.77/pound- I have roasted and frozen about 5 pounds so far, and plan on doing more this week end. These are my favorites to use in my green chili stew and in all kinds of meat recipes- tonight we had them mixed with some chopped onion and 9% ground beef and grilled - wow were they good burgers! And no, they were not dried out- the onion helps to keep the meat moist and juicy!
Oneiron339
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/08/31 06:01:34
A great article in this week's Southern Living on the chile festivals in NM. I'd love to go sometime.
desertdog
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/09/01 10:00:44

If I can't find someone who brings them in locally (Phoenix) I may have to make another roadtrip over to NM. I was impressed with the quality of food and uses of the chile last time I was over....esp. that Green Chile Stew...man o man was that good.

roadtrip. roadtrip. roadtrip. roadtrip! roadtrip!! roadtrip!!!

DD

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/09/01 11:45:54
I sure recommend that!!!!!
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/09/10 22:26:15
Here's some Arbol pics for you NYNM.

http://www.pepperfool.com/photo_home.html
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/09/11 08:15:27
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

Here's some Arbol pics for you NYNM.

http://www.pepperfool.com/photo_home.html

Ahhhhh beuatiful. Esp. the New Mexicans!!
Thanx.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Chile Roastin Time... 2007/11/21 22:46:30
I may have posted something about this. There was a nice piece (should still be up) in a Phoenix paper about an old timer from the Hatch Valley who brings TONS of chiles to AZ from NM. He'll roast them for you if you like, on the spot. I've seen this process on TV, they have a huge basket over a fire, like a big version of a lottery type deal, or bingo. But I don't know how much they cook 'em. I get mine all the way blackened, then, despite what people say about paper bags for cooling, I just run cold water over them and peel, de-seed and de-vein them. Yum. See my post regarding my brilliant method. Which no one has replied to. Maybe nobody has gotten over to Home Depot yet.
-Scott Lindgren
scottlindgren@netzero.com