Chile and fruit...

Filet Mignon
2007/08/03 21:30:14
Crazy me - I was playing with my food again today and came up with an interesting combo. Not sure whether this should be on Chili, Mexican or Desserts but here goes =

I had these old strawberries, getting mushy, so I added a few soon-to-be-mushy blueberries and - mushed them up. Then I got this idea from some jam I recently bought - and actually put in a bit of chopped green chile. Wow! That popped!

It was sweet and spicy together. I added a bit of sweetener (although chile is actually a tad sweet itself)- even better - and then a few old apricots - better still!!!

I am imagining serving this compote on vanilla ice cream or pound cake, or cottage cheese or yoghurt. I am also thinking of adding a few drops of alcohol, but I can't decide between rum, tequila or what.

I am also imagining the chile with other very ripe fruits: melon? peaches? cherries? grapes/raisins?

Ideas????
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/03 22:10:27
Rum. Definitely rum. I wonder if it'd get better with a few walnuts. Then there's this walnut liquer, Nocello that might work too. But it is quite sweet and yet dry. I'd only add a little.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/03 22:17:55
Were it me, I'd drizzle it with Cointreau and lime juice..
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 02:21:26
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Were it me, I'd drizzle it with Cointreau and lime juice..

If it were me, I'd drink the Cointreau and throw the fruit away!
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 02:25:27
I suggest some Grand Marnier.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 12:46:09
The liquer ideas sound great - it could substitute for the sweetener.

I am amazed how well the roasted green chile goes with the ripe fruit. My first batch is already gone - gotta statr another...
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 21:11:37
Ph, and another thing - before green chile, a few years ago, I rememeber putting a small amount of red chile (Chimayo?) into apple sauce. Mmmmm...
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 22:55:21
In the fruiterias around Austin, a mix of powdered chile, lime, and salt is commonly sprinkled on top. I LOVE it. It's generally a mix of whatever is in season, but usually involves chunks of melons and jicama.

Years ago when I first started watching the Food Network, I watched a show where the Two Hot Tamales prepared a salad of sliced jicama, citrus (it was orange or grapefruit), and habanero. Probably some other things in there, but I don't remember. I made some off the memory of the show, and it was excellent.

A year or so ago I cooked a dinner for a friend of my then wife who had grown up in the south Texas valley. One the things I served was a concoction of chunks of watermelon, orange, pineapple, and jicama. I squeezed some limes on top, sprinkled some New Mexico powdered chile, and some salt, then mixed it all up and let it meld in the fridge for a few hours.

She said it tasted like what her mother used to make, so I felt honored.
Poverty Pete
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/04 23:08:15
Bushie, how are you holding up? You want in on the bachelor's weekend Al and I are holding next week?
Fieldthistle
RE: Chile and fruit... 2007/08/05 02:19:03
Hello All,
Thanks NYNM for the topic. I think my wife
would go crazy for this.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle