Hot!Loveless Cafe

Junior Burger
2003/03/17 17:18:07
If you are anywhere near Nashville you HAVE to go to the Loveless Cafe for fried chicken. If you're near there but not hungry get an order to go and eat it later. Even cold, it's fantastic
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/03/17 19:41:19
...and take some jars of peach preserves home with you, too
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/04/09 21:40:37
OK I need directions to this place. I have searched the board and it is mentioned in several posts, but without the "how to get there" from I-65 from the North?? Help Please.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/04/09 22:19:34
It's south of Nashville on Hwy 100. Hey Mayor, that's why we have maps!! Let's see some of that adventurous spirit you're known for!!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/09 00:54:55
Dearfolk,
Tennessee Route 100 is the old Nashville-to-Memphis highway, before U. S. designations and waaaay before interstates. Route 100 turns off Charlotte Pike about 3 miles west of the new circumferential route, if I remember right. Follow 100 about 4 or 5 miles... nearly about to the county line... and it's there on your right, in the Pasquo community.
It is truly a not-to-be-missed place: it is to a country ham breakfast what Farley's Bar-BQ Pit in Ashland City is to meat-and-three home cooking (sigh!)... up there with Uncle Mort's on old U. S. 78 between Dora and Jasper, Alabama.
Waxing Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/20 14:27:17
I love breakfast at the Loveless (having been raised on country ham & biscuits), but their fried chicken would barely rank in the top 10 for the Nashville area. If you want good fried chicken, go a little further out Hwy 100 to the Beacon Light Tearoom. Their chicken is the real deal. And for the record, I would take the chicken at any of the following Nashville-area places over the Loveless: Beacon Light, Swett's, Monell's, Sylvan Park, Arnold's, Elliston Place Soda Shop, Silver Sands, Kleer-vu Lunchroom (Murfreesboro). And that's without even venturing into the "hot chicken" arena (Prince's, Mr. Boo's, Boltons, etc...). So, go to Loveless...for breakfast -- ham, biscuits & preserves. It's what they do best...
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/20 17:33:55
Dearfolk,
Those of you not from the South may not realize that some people actually eat fried chicken for breakfast! It's in fact on the breakfast menu at the local Gateway Cafe - hot or cold!
Does anyone in Nashville know if The Ranch House is still on Gallatin Road in Inglewood? It used to be run by Porter & Harvey, two schoolteachers who quit the classroom to go into the neighborhood cafe business. That was a gooood little place about 1985-86-87, when I lived up thataway.
Greetingly (Not Grittingly!), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/20 17:52:10
Pork Chops make a great breakfast too... Ort, I can't find any current references to the Ranch House. I'll try to get over than direction to make sure, but I don't recall seeing any reference to it prior to yours, and I've been in Nashville continuously since 1988...
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/20 21:45:52
I seem to remember that Loveless DOES offer fried chicken as a breakfast item, but that you have to call ahead for that. It's been close to 2 years since I've had the privilege; am I remembering wrong?

pogo... I'll be through Nashville in July, and I will do my best to try one or two of your suggestions. Man, talk about bursting a guy's bubble....
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/05/21 10:32:24
Bushie,
If you try many of my suggestions in the same day you'll burst more than that...

Let me know what part of town you're going to be in and I'll give you more specific directions/recommendations if you like...
Poverty Pete
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/10/22 18:57:29
At the suggestion of pogophiles, I stopped at Mr. Boo's last Saturday. This isn't just a chicken, this is an experience! My first shock was the cost. Six dollars for one breast with attached wing. When I ordered it hot, the woman at the counter asked if I had been there before. "If not, perhaps you'd prefer medium or mild." I had it hot......It was hot. First off, this piece of chicken is huge. With most chicken being processed at 21 days of age, one forgets how big a full grown chicken is. Next, the color is red, as in cayenne pepper red. It looks as though it's coated in a 1/8 inch covering of red pepper. Did I mention this chicken is hot? It's hot. An hour later, I thought back to my first impression. Six bucks? Perfectly reasonable. Thanks, pogophiles...next stop, Prince's!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2003/10/28 11:48:04
Glad you liked it PP! The medium is plenty hot for me. Be sure and give us a comparison with Prince's, I'd love to hear your comments!
dug
Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2004/12/05 01:59:39
hey there pogophiles,
what's up with the current loveless cafe?
have you visited there lately?
any other nashville treasures that come to mind?
thanks!
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2004/12/05 03:08:14
The website of the Loveless Cafe is: http://www.lovelesscafe.com/
Thank you, Michael (or Stephen), for correcting it
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 01:19:08
There are 144 threads on here that mention the Loveless Café in Nashville, but this one is the only one titled "Loveless Café".
I lived in Brentwood TN for 4 years and visit Franklin TN frequently since my daughter and her family live there but this past Friday was my first visit to the Loveless Café and I said to myself, "Why didn't you go there earlier, you dummy?"
Let me report that the place is alive & well and apparently prospering despite having been closed, sold and re-opened a while ago. On the Friday after Christmas, the wait for a table at 10:30 AM was 2 hours! Normally, I wouldn't wait that long at ANY restaurant, but I just had to find out what all the Hoopla was about. We spent the time browsing in the shops there, sampled some of the snacks and learned you can put the name Loveless Motel on practically ANY piece of saleable merchandise!
We were seated in about 1 hour and 45 minutes and it was worth the wait!
Here come the biscuits 1st thing out!
The biscuits were a surprise since I didn't expect them to be small and more like a roll in texture but that was not a bad thing. They were very good but just not what I expected. The Signature Jams & Preserves - OUTSTANDING. I ordered the Pit-Cooked Pork Barbeque & Eggs with Grits AND a side order of the Pimento Cheese with Fried Green Tomato Biscuits. It was a large helping of BBQ & Eggs OE. I took 1/2 the BBQ home with us along with some leftover biscuits and had that the next day.
My Bride had the Waffle loaded with Pecans Strawberries and Whipped Cream and couldn't finish it.
The server was great and friendly.
I won't wait another 33 years to go back again!  

post edited by Foodbme - 2014/01/02 09:15:49
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 08:11:04
Foodbme-
Glad to hear you had such a good experience at Loveless Café.  I don't love everything they serve, but there is no denying how good those biscuits and jam are. 
MellowRoast
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 08:35:39
Buffetbuster, I lived in Nashville for 10 years and was close enough to Loveless to have breakfast there on weekdays without a crowd.  When Donna McCabe sold the restaurant several years ago, the menu and recipes changed extensively and I don't think it was for the better.  If you'd been there before the sale, I think you would have loved most everything on the menu.  The restaurant didn't require any tinkering but the new owners had a field day doing it anyway.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2014/01/02 08:38:35
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 08:43:00
MellowRoast-
I 100% agree.  My first meal there was in 2001 and it was clearly better then.  But, I still enjoy it now for what it is.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 08:52:25
Nashville is the overnight stop for our roadtrips from Dallas to McLean, VA.  We have visited the Loveless Cafe several times and have enjoyed their fried chicken and truly wonderful biscuits and jams. 

More than anything else, I enjoy their very Southern ambience, thankfully absent the loud-talkers, cacklers, and screeching children which have ruined many an otherwise fine meal here in Dallas.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/02 09:17:40
You're right MJ - It is a good example of a Southern Thang!
rexfullerupperville
Junior Burger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/05 23:29:10
Can anyone please post a google maps of Loveless Cafe? Thanks!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 00:19:01
rexfullerupperville

Here's a thought!
Google "Loveless Café" YOURSELF
Click on their Web Site.
Copy their address.
Open MapQuest.
Post the address and click.
WHALLAH! There's your map AND the directions to the Loveless Café!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 00:19:29
rexfullerupperville

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/visit/map-directions/
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 00:24:43
Michael Hoffman
rexfullerupperville

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/visit/map-directions/

Michael,
You're getting soft in your old age!
Remember, The Lord helps those who help themselves!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 10:19:12
Now, now. I've always been willing to help the afflicted, and afflict the help.
MellowRoast
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 11:37:14
buffetbuster

Foodbme-
Glad to hear you had such a good experience at Loveless Café.  I don't love everything they serve, but there is no denying how good those biscuits and jam are. 

As a matter of fact, I've loved their peach preserves since my first visit in 1974, and I still order them.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 12:10:26
That front scoop

is Loveless Café Biscuits and Peach Jam ice cream from Jeni's in Nashville.
MellowRoast
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/06 13:54:30
Oh, my. Oh, my.
RKB
Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/01/08 11:02:06
I wish that I had had the time to better plan my last trip through Tennessee. I stayed in Brentwood, just a few miles from the Loveless, and did not know that it existed. However, I did get to Gus's chicken so it wasn't a total loss. Next time, for sure.
Bill
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/04/04 01:04:49
The Loveless was one of the first Roadfood restaurants I went to. It's absolutely fantastic. Probably the best fried chicken and biscuits I've ever had.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
RE: Loveless Cafe 2014/04/04 11:59:30
Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Those of you not from the South may not realize that some people actually eat fried chicken for breakfast! It's in fact on the breakfast menu at the local Gateway Cafe - hot or cold!
Does anyone in Nashville know if The Ranch House is still on Gallatin Road in Inglewood? It used to be run by Porter & Harvey, two schoolteachers who quit the classroom to go into the neighborhood cafe business. That was a gooood little place about 1985-86-87, when I lived up thataway.
Greetingly (Not Grittingly!), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

You bet! There's not much better breakfast than chicken and waffles!!