The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rhode Island - restaurant closure?

wbjake

• Total Posts: 9
Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sun, 08/19/07 7:36 PM (permalink)
Hi All

Loved a place in Charlsetown, RI - had the best fries and homemade mustard (served with Vermont Cheddar and saltines) - and am afraid that it is out of business.

The Rathskeller - in the middle of nowhere. Used to take Worden's Pond road to get there.

Can anybody let me know if it is still in business, please?

Thanks,

wbj

P.S. Second time on site, really useful. Will be back more often. Hope to be able to help out others.

gbacounselor

• Total Posts: 41
    RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sun, 08/19/07 8:28 PM (permalink)
    wbjake,

I can't answer your question, but I think that I know somebody who can. My daughter and son-in-law visit relatives in Westerly twice a year and Charlestown is right "next door." I will forward your inquiry to them and let you know what I find out.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
      RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Mon, 08/20/07 3:40 PM (permalink)
      Fully agree that Rathskeller served perhaps the best fries anywhere. We also found their fish & chips to be exceptional, but often times stopped by just to share a plate of fries. We stopped by a few times a few years ago and they were closed / lockup up each time. Unless they've reopened recently, I'm thinking they are gone. They no longer have a sign at rt 2 where we've turn to find them.

gbacounselor

RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sun, 09/9/07 8:43 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by wbjake

Hi All

Loved a place in Charlsetown, RI - had the best fries and homemade mustard (served with Vermont Cheddar and saltines) - and am afraid that it is out of business.

The Rathskeller - in the middle of nowhere. Used to take Worden's Pond road to get there.

Can anybody let me know if it is still in business, please?

Thanks,

wbj

P.S. Second time on site, really useful. Will be back more often. Hope to be able to help out others.

gbacounselor

RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sun, 09/9/07 8:46 PM (permalink)
          Sorry about the "blank" reply! My daughter and son-in-law have just returned from the area, and although they didn't get a chance to check out the restaurant personally, they did say that it is still listed in the phone book. It might be worth a call???

wbjake

• Total Posts: 9
            RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Wed, 09/12/07 8:03 PM (permalink)
            Thanks. The telephone no. that I found online went unanswered. I fear the worst.
            wbj

KTdid

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Thu, 12/22/11 9:55 PM (permalink)
              mjambro

Fully agree that Rathskeller served perhaps the best fries anywhere. We also found their fish & chips to be exceptional, but often times stopped by just to share a plate of fries. We stopped by a few times a few years ago and they were closed / lockup up each time. Unless they've reopened recently, I'm thinking they are gone. They no longer have a sign at rt 2 where we've turn to find them.

Sorry this post is so late but I just found this thread and wanted to respond regarding the Rathskeller in Charlestown, RI.
              The original owner's son and proprietor, Raymond Lenzner, passed away and the restaurant closed.  Fast forward 2011 and the "buzz" is that two of Raymond's cousins recently purchased the restaurant and are currently remodeling it.  Not sure if they plan to sell it afterwards or keep it in the family.  If they keep it I would hope Raymond's widower Jere, will be given a stake in running the business.
              This little gem of a restaurant was known by all the locals and a lucky few wayward tourists that got turned around on those atrocious backwinding roads - LOL.  They're all paved now but still rather narrow. Maybe a few locals will chime in here with some updated information!

StPete

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sat, 05/25/13 1:03 PM (permalink)
                Better late than never, I just saw your post; they have been working on the building  or about 2 years.  I saw a post about 4 or 5 months ago that said it would reopen late spring 2013.  I drive by there 2 or 3 times a week and it doesn't appear close yet but they are still working on it.  the Rathskeller has a facebook page so you can check there for progress.  That was where I saw the spring reopening announcement, there is no new date listed at he moment.  StPee    

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                  Re:Rhode Island - restaurant closure? Sun, 05/26/13 11:00 AM (permalink)
                  Thanks for the update.  Do keep us informed as it was always a favorite of ours when traveling down Rt2.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com