Hot!WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND?

Junior Burger
2003/08/25 21:01:07
As fried clams are probably my favorite food, I would like to hear anyone's thoughts with regard to where they think the best fried clams can be had in New England.
Unfortunatley we live in western MA (about 80 miles from the coast)and great fried clams do not exist out here (at least to my knowledge).
Its not uncommon for us to drive 120 miles (one way)...(EAST OF HERE)to get great fried clams / flounder flakes...(anyone ever here of flounder flakes?)....thats what they call them at our favorite seafood resturant...which again is 120 miles away.
Any inland recomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/25 21:09:41
No Debate here-
IPSWICH and CAPE ANN. Several Stands qualify within that small area. Drive the distance and appreciate the results. Clam Box and Woodsman are leading examples...but there are others in the same league.
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/25 22:48:09
You definately have to come to the Cape Ann area for good clams. I vote for Farnham's for the best. I've had Clam Box and Woodman's, Farnham's beats them hands down.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/25 23:53:03
I gotta go with the Clam Box in Ipswich. Woodman's has been coasting on its reputation for years, and the clams are absolutely nothing special anymore.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 00:01:26
Hey Linda or Lucky.... How does McIntyres on Rt 1 in Rowley compare to Ipswich clams? We used to really like the McIntyres Clams and Onion Rings, but it has been 10 years since we visited it.
Michael Stern
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 04:41:01
Last year's Roadfood taste-off rated the Cape Ann Clams thus, on a scale of 1-10: Clam Box (10), Farnham's (9), Essex Seafood (8), The Village Restaurant (7), Woodman's (7). These ratings were for clams only.
i95
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 08:43:44
Cream N' Cone in Cape Cod's West Dennis was consistently voted tops in fried (belly-less) clam strips before the place was fried itself recently.
Hode
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 11:32:23
2 places in Orleans mass. Sir Cricket and Cooke's both serve top notch fried clams and other seafood / At Cookes they have Fried Lobster tails.
Lucky Bishop
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 14:34:49
Al, I've never eaten at McIntyre's -- if I'm on Rt. 1 in Rowley, my car moves immediately to the Agawam of its own accord.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 14:44:45
I cast my vote with Mr. Mayor, Ipswich and Cape Ann!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/26 15:01:02
Nice to know I have the support of the Artic delegation.
While on the subject of the Northern side of Boston (Rt 1 or I-95). Is Putnam's Pantry still around in Danvers?? I used to make the gooiest ice cream sundae messes there.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/27 01:35:24
Thanks Mr. Mayor! I'm leaving next Tues. for two weeks in MA. My friends all live on the North Shore so that's where I'll be roadfooding it.....Essex, Danvers, Rowley, Newburyport, Ipswich. Am looking forward to some awesome fried clams, lobster rolls and we're planning a New England boiled dinner on Crane's Beach (lobsters, crabs, mussels, clams, corn, potatoes and don't forget the beer and wine!!!).
Lucky Bishop
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/27 03:36:09
Actually, I'll be on Crane Beach, lessee...about 36 hours from now! Followed, naturally, by a lovely late dinner at the Clam Box before a meandering ride home.
i95
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/27 07:31:33
Speaking of Route 1 north of Boston, looks like Russo's Candy & Ice Cream has at least a year stay as Krispy Kreme keeps running into zoning roadblocks in its attempts to commandeer that prime Rt. 1 south location (right across from Kelly's Roast Beef). FYI.
croquethed
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/29 18:02:24
Apologies to the folks from the Bay Colony, but I gotta go with Bill's at the Singing Bridge in Westbrook, CT as best clams.
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/29 18:09:55
Mr. Mayor, I've never been to McIntyre's. Like Mr. Bishop, when our car comes in sight of the Agawam it automatically heads in that direction for pie and a cuppa tea. :)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/29 18:36:23
Lucky and Linda,
I do understand about the craving for the Agawam. We lived in Georgetown when I attended Salem State and visited many of the food establishments around that area often. I worked for those years at the HOJO that was built as a service area on the old I-95 between Rt97 and Rt 133. That one was paved over with the coming of the newer freeway. It was a very busy stop for Beans and Franks or Clams on Friday nights back then. McIntyre's had very good clams and Onion Rings at that time...BUT then as now they aren't cheap !!

BTW do either of you know if Putnams Pantry the ice cream place is still open on Rt 1 in Danvers?
LizzieR
Hamburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/08/31 22:38:12
There are so many places on Cape Cod with great fried clams, ditto for Maine. Just head for the coast and you'll find them.
scenicrec
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/04 01:50:27
quote:
Originally posted by croquethed

Apologies to the folks from the Bay Colony, but I gotta go with Bill's at the Singing Bridge in Westbrook, CT as best clams.

I agree w/ c.hed- Bill's Seafood has the best: rich and tender, with a crust so crisp it shatters. It's not summer til I'm seated on their deck, smelling the salt air, and eating my first clam roll of the season. Ambrosia!
Agawam Brad
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/04 17:10:40
The Clam Box is tremendous but Cape Cod people know that Kreme N' Kone in Dennisport and Chatham are right up there. The Dennisport Kreme N' Kone has reopened after the fire last winter. A new location on cor of rt 28 and rt 134. Give it a try!
Mavlily
Hamburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/16 14:54:00
Not sure just where you live in western MA but I live in NW CT near the MA border and we love the whole belly fried clams at Blue Sky Foods in New Hartford, CT. Also....probably a hike for you but Lenny & Joe's Fishtail Restaurant in Westbrook, CT has great ones, too as does Denmo's in Southbury, CT.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/16 19:37:55
Fried clams aren't my "thing", but I have heard that Harry's, a great diner on Route 9 in Westboro, has great fried clams. I can say that Harry's is a wonderful roadfood experience in general, great menu, GREAT staff, colorful handmade signs displaying the various dishes.

And Mr. Mayor...to answer your question, Putnam's is still on Route 1 in Danvers.
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/16 20:07:10
No one's mentioned Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere. Actually, the clams (which are very good) may not be quite as good as you get in Ipswich or Essex, but Kelly's is open very late at night (great if you work until midnight, like me) and is closer to Boston (depending on where you're coming from, it may be more convenient) . . . but what really makes Kelly's clams stand out is their tartar sauce. It's unlike any you'll find anywhere else. We always get extra tartar sauce and use it on the fries as well as the clams (or scallops, my husband's preference). I've tried to duplicate it at home, and come pretty close. Kelly's tartar sauce with fried clams from Ipswich or Essex is as close to fried clam heaven as it gets.
beanbun
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/09/17 01:40:44
I like the Clam Castle in Clinton, CT. Bill's is quite ambrosia-like too though.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/10/15 18:36:30
Any specific recommendations in the Kennebunkport to Portland, Maine area?

I went to boarding school in Kennebunkport in 1965/1966 and am considering revisiting the place next summer!

skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/10/16 16:13:54
I just got back from a trip to New England, and I ate some scrumptious wholebelly clams on Cape Cod at a place called BarbyAnne's in Hyannis. My two traveling companions were served a couple of beautiful chicken pies here, and they pronounced them delicious. We all had chocolate mousse torte for dessert that was out of this world.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/10/16 17:53:33
quote:
Originally posted by croquethed

I've been there, and the clams were good. Didn't they replace the Singing Bridge?
pfarmer241
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/10/17 07:33:51
If you want a lobster roll with REAL chuncks of lobster, try the Seafarer Tavern in WIckford, RI. Had to cut the lobster with a knife they were so large. Just the right amount of mayo and no other fillers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2003/10/17 08:54:08
quote:
Originally posted by pfarmer241

If you want a lobster roll with REAL chuncks of lobster, try the Seafarer Tavern in WIckford, RI. Had to cut the lobster with a knife they were so large. Just the right amount of mayo and no other fillers.

That's not a lobster roll. That's a lobster salad sandwich.
tmiles
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/01 16:16:53
Coming from Western Massachusetts, you have to pass a few very good clam places to get to Cape Ann. In the Brookfields on Rt 9, you can't miss Howard's a dumpy seasonal drivein. If you can stand the wait in the long line you will get the best lobster roll anywhere. The fried clams are good too. A little east on Rt 20 in Auburn, you will pass Ronnies. Ronnies is also seasonal but bigger. The lines are long but they are set up to handle the crowd. I think that they do great clams, perhaps as good as the Clam Box, but if you have gone that far, you should go 1 more town east to Millbury and try Scales Restaurant in a hard to find former mill on River Street. Scales is great because they serve the best fried clams year around, and price them well below the competition. You can eat on the deck in season, but most people eat inside. The plates are paper, but the restaurant is clean and neat. They serve only the best grade of clams from Ipswitch Shellfish Co, the best supplier of clams to restaurants.
davetoo
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/02 17:10:55
Tmiles knows fried clams. My wife and I checked out Scales in Millbury this afternoon. The clams and scallops were fantastic. No more trips to Dube's in Salem or the Clam Box in Ipswich! The onion rings were probably the best we have ever had. I highly recommend Scales Restaurant in Millbury, MA.
tmiles
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 12:18:26
There is another place I didn't mention, because I had not been there in a couple of years. I'll mention it now because we ate at CJ's yesterday. They are on Rt 20 in Monson Mass. Ph 283 2196 (sorry no area code on placemat) They are not as good as Scales,in my opinion, but they are very worth visiting. I had the hot lobster roll that costs 10.95. I made it "Delux" with a pile of fries and a very nice cole slaw for 13.95. The lobster was on a grilled hotdog roll with melted butter on the side. The lobster itself was not prebuttered. My honey got the fish and chips. The portion was huge, and the fish was served tidbit size. We both got a very crisp salad with a wonderful blue cheese dressing for only a dollar. (with meal) Unlike some restaurants in the area, this place does not charge extra for the blue cheese dressing. I didn't try the fried clams, but others were ordering them. A steady flow of them was being served. They were also serving a lot of the special, a 10 oz strip steak at 9.95. This is a sitdown restaurant with friendly servers, paper place mats (the kind with ads), and dishes, not paper plates. The prices were very reasonable.
tbird970
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 12:32:01
Putnams pantry is still open
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 12:48:11
Originally posted by Hepcat

Any specific recommendations in the Kennebunkport to Portland, Maine area?

Try Newick's in South Portland, on Broadway near the million-dollar bridge.
DaveM
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 14:35:10
You might find things still open at Old Orchard beach.
Year round, the Arundel Seafood Ctr., Rt 1 Arundel, just north of Kennebunk has excellant seafood.
Also the Maine Diner, on Route 1, just before the turn off on Rt 9 to kennebunkport, does well with seafood.
For Portland restaurants, try www.foodinportland.com
Clam places still tend to be seasonal.
davetoo
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 15:08:53
Before you get to Portland, for fried clams, Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery has great clams (onion rings also). It's right next to the Kittery Trading Post on Route 1. You won't be dissapointed and it is open year round.
Dr Bert
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 15:31:19
Clam Box without a doubt is tops. After a 10 day tour of NE coast, the Box beats out other Roadfood stops. Dont forget their clam chowder, it's excellent!
tmiles
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 15:48:29
I liked davetoo's comment about Bob's being open year around. That is important! It is easy to get good or great fried clams in the summer around coastal New England, but what are we to do in winter? I want my clams in January as much as in July. I may miss some, but in this thread, the only year around places I remember are Bob's, CJ's, Harry's and Scales. I am sure there are others. (Mrs O's, a place that I have not visited is reviewed on this site, and is also year around) Maybe we should start a new thread for year around clams.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2004/10/25 16:08:11
If you happen to be in Maine during July, the Yarmouth Clam festival is certainly worth a stop.....at Yarmouth of course...
tmiles
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/04/30 19:22:58
Scales in Millbury, Mass has been mentioned by myself and others in this thread. It is under new ownership, but still really good. I dug up this old post, because The Phantom Gourmet, a Boston area TV show was there last Friday. I don't know when the segment will air, but I expect that it will bring in some customers to a place that doesn't do much self promotion. They serve year around, but fried clams really do go with summer!!!

If you are in Millbury, and want some very nice clams at a GREAT price, try Pizza Chef. When they have them, the "clam boat" for 9.95 includes TWO whole belly clam rolls (hot butter toasted New England style buns), average fries, and better than average cole slaw.......a real deal, and sometimes a sellout. Pizza Chef is about 1/2 mile from Scales.
post edited by tmiles - 2014/05/09 19:55:23
tmiles
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/10 11:43:26
The lines at Ronnies (Auburn, MA) have not looked as long so far this season. I've not made it there for clams this season, although I did stop for ice cream. I wonder if they will remain the largest customer for Ipswich Shellfish Co, the reputed best supplier of whole belly clams. I hope to test a lot of clams this summer!!!
Wholebelly
Junior Burger
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/18 14:30:41
Representing southern Connecticut, Stowe's Seafood in West Haven is my local go-to joint. A simple, nautical setting across from the beach, very good clams. Lobster roll is pretty good. too.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/18 14:46:21
Stowe's is still good? I'm glad to hear it. I haven't been there in more than 15 years.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/18 15:50:36
tmiles
The lines at Ronnies (Auburn, MA) have not looked as long so far this season. I've not made it there for clams this season, although I did stop for ice cream. I wonder if they will remain the largest customer for Ipswich Shellfish Co, the reputed best supplier of whole belly clams. I hope to test a lot of clams this summer!!!

tmiles,

Don't know how I missed Ronnie's?  I stay at the Hampton Inn, Auburn.  I drove by it over 100 times!  I stopped at the Clam Box in Auburn once, the ordering experience itself was so bad that I walked out.  Also tried Harry's on 9, not impressed.

I am starting a new project in Billerica in June, any RF places nearby?  I had the roast beef at Mikeys, it was good.  The whole bellies, just alright.

My current favorite for clams is Westfair Fish & Chips in Westport, CT.  I am planning to stop there on Thursday on my way to West haven, but, maybe I'll give Stowe's Seafood a try.  It's walking distance from the project I'm bidding on.  Michael Hoffman, I'll be sure to send you a picture 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/18 16:03:41
Oh, sure. Rub it in. But we'll be up there after June 15th.
FriedClamFanatic
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/18 23:34:14
Joe...........you're gonna be in West Haven..............from what I remember/am told..........it's still the Fried Clam Capitol of the NH area!

but all pic and recs are appreciated
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/19 11:51:38
I think the best fried clams are at the Clam Box in Ipswich although Woodman's claims to have "created" the fried clam.  Theirs are good too.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: WHERE ARE THE BEST FRIED CLAMS IN NEW ENGLAND? 2014/05/19 19:16:19
You mean that it's not Howard Johnson's anymore?