Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy'

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
  • Reward points : 0
Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Mon, 08/25/03 9:26 PM
Ok, Ok, Roadfood it ain't.....

....more like mallfood, as I see these in mall food courts and have never seen them elsewhere.....

...but has anyone had the bourbon chicken lunch at one of these chains? There is only one I know of in Cincinnati, in the food court on the lower level of the tallest building in Cincinnati (the Carew Tower), and this is a wonderful and inexpensive (around 5 bucks) lunch. Chicken, rice, two sides.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Tue, 08/26/03 10:51 AM
On another thread I wrote about the Cajun Cafe in our local mall that made Bourbon Chicken with red beans and rice. It was about the only thing I'd eat in a mall. If The Big Easy is the same set-up, its all made by asian cooks on a wok line.

Howard Baratz
  • Total Posts : 445
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Tue, 08/26/03 10:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

On another thread I wrote about the Cajun Cafe in our local mall that made Bourbon Chicken with red beans and rice. It was about the only thing I'd eat in a mall. If The Big Easy is the same set-up, its all made by asian cooks on a wok line.

Cosmos:

That's exactly the setup at The Big Easy. The first time I saw it I thought that a Chinese restaurant had taken over the space but didn't get their sign yet.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Tue, 08/26/03 5:48 PM
Its a great idea really, fresh hot food in a flash, and it didn't come off a freezer truck from fast food HQ.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Fri, 08/29/03 1:49 PM
At the West Town Mall in Knoxville Tennessee, they have the Cajun Cafe that serves great bourbon chicken, but I believe one that does chicken better is the Sakkio Japan that serves the Teriyaki chicken. It is cooked fresh to order and their steam veggies are the same way. I always get them to put two scoops of teriyaki sauce over the chicken rice concoctin. It is really good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Fri, 08/29/03 4:11 PM
What is bourbon chicken? I'd like to prepare some. Any idea of the recipe?

TJ Jackson
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Sat, 08/30/03 8:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I believe one that does chicken better is the Sakkio Japan that serves the Teriyaki chicken. It is cooked fresh to order and their steam veggies are the same way. I always get them to put two scoops of teriyaki sauce over the chicken rice concoctin. It is really good.
Oh my lord!

The same food court in the same building here in Cincinnati (described in the opening post) ALSO has a Sakkio of Japan, and it is exactly as you describe. A great, fresh, and fairly balanced meal all for under (here, at least ) 4 bucks.

...and I get 2-3 extra scoops of the sauce myself, every time.
...and I just ate there last night :-)

Honestly, though, I have tried bourbon chicken elsewhere, and it does not compare to that served at The Big Easy. They have other locations around the country, or so I seem to recall, stop in and try it sometime....

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Sun, 08/31/03 12:46 AM
We have a Cajun Cafe/Big Easy at our local mall, and some kind of fast food Chinese as well. I don't like to eat at them. The food (like the Bourbon Chicken) always has this strange mouth-feel, almost kind of slimy. The taste is good, but I can't get over that odd feeling in my mouth. Stir-fried food at home or at a regular Chinese restaurant never has that slippery feel to it.

marberthenad
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Thu, 03/18/04 8:53 PM
At Union Station in Washington, DC there is a really good food court. A beer and hotdogs place, for example, called Frank & Stein (is that a chain?). Anyway there are two places in that food court that make really good bourbon chicken -- the people behind the counter hold out chicken samples on toothpicks to passers by -- that's how I got hooked.

kttychac
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Tue, 07/20/04 4:27 PM
For all of you who love Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken as much as I do, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken

1 Pound Chicken leg or thigh meat
Cut in bite size chunks
4 oz Soy sauce
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Powdered ginger
2 tbs. Dried minced onion
1/2 cup Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey
2 tbs. White wine

Mix all the marinade ingredients and pour over chicken pieces in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate (stirring often) for several hours (best overnight).
Bake chicken at 350 for one hour in a single layer, basting every
10 minutes. Remove chicken. Scrape pan juices with all the brown bits into
a frying pan.
Heat, and add 2 Tbs. white wine. Stir and add chicken.
Cook for 1 minute and serve.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Wed, 07/21/04 4:16 PM
I have had Bourbon Chicken at the Cajun Restaurant in our Mall, and it was good , but I can't think of the name of the Cajun Restaurant

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Wed, 07/21/04 4:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Julia I

We have a Cajun Cafe/Big Easy at our local mall, and some kind of fast food Chinese as well. I don't like to eat at them. The food (like the Bourbon Chicken) always has this strange mouth-feel, almost kind of slimy. The taste is good, but I can't get over that odd feeling in my mouth. Stir-fried food at home or at a regular Chinese restaurant never has that slippery feel to it.

I agree with you on this one. I believe that is the MSG that they use to make the chicken more tender. I have had the Bourbon Chicken a couple of times and I like the flavor but I really do not enjoy the texture.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Thu, 07/22/04 10:10 AM
I am not sure if Frank and Stein is a chain or not, but we just got one in our shoppping center this month here in North Carolina.

At Union Station in Washington, DC there is a really good food court. A beer and hotdogs place, for example, called Frank & Stein (is that a chain?). Anyway there are two places in that food court that make really good bourbon chicken -- the people behind the counter hold out chicken samples on toothpicks to passers by -- that's how I got hooked.

TJ Jackson
RE: Bourbon Chicken at 'The Big Easy' - Thu, 07/22/04 12:20 PM
That's exactly what they do at Sakkio of Japan in my area.....