Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Reward points : 0
Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Tue, 08/21/07 1:02 PM
Has anyone on here ever had food food from Anna's Taqueria in Boston? I recently went there after reading in many Boston publications that they have been voted Best Burrito in Boston for many years now. I was absolutely NOT impressed! The salsa was runny, the tortillas was very flimsy and soggy and the taste was extremely bland! They were large but there was no taste! Both my boyfriend and I disliked it very much and we will not be returning. Is it that Anna's doesn't have any competition in the Boston area? or do people just have no idea what a good burrito really is?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Tue, 08/21/07 1:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

Has anyone on here ever had food food from Anna's Taqueria in Boston? I recently went there after reading in many Boston publications that they have been voted Best Burrito in Boston for many years now. I was absolutely NOT impressed! The salsa was runny, the tortillas was very flimsy and soggy and the taste was extremely bland! They were large but there was no taste! Both my boyfriend and I disliked it very much and we will not be returning. Is it that Anna's doesn't have any competition in the Boston area? or do people just have no idea what a good burrito really is?

Has anyone else experienced this?

I suspect it has to do with your expectation of a burrito.

IMO Anna's makes what is probably about the best Mission style burrito in the area. Some people just don't like Mission burritos, preferring smaller, simpler burritos. I've known people from SoCal who don't like Anna's for this reason, and because they aren't greasy enough for LA tastes. On the other hand, some folks from the North think a wrap of spiced meat and beans on lavash or pita bread is a burrito.

Certainly, compared to what I've sampled in San Francisco, Anna's flavors are milder and the tortillas not as hardy. As for salsa, fresh salsa gives off juice and eating a good burrito is messy. But the number of outlets in Boston (and NYC I now hear) that are copying Anna's model and food demonstrate its popularity.

Boston is hardly a mecca for Mexican cuisine, although it has made great strides since the days of corned beef burritos and canned Mexicali corn and is still a hair ahead of the norm for NYC. For cheap, tasty, fresh food, you can't do much better in town than Anna's.

TwoJays
  • Total Posts : 200
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Tue, 08/21/07 10:23 PM
My wife says she could eat at Anna's daily. She loves the burritos and the quesadillas. They're cheap, tasty, filling, and not very unhealthy either. We hit the one over by Coolidge Corner whenever we can. I'm sure all of the college students over there appreciate the cheap/tasty/filling aspects of Anna's burritos.

John

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Tue, 08/21/07 11:53 PM
Me likey the Anna's!! I lived on Comm Ave near the Harvard street location for about 2 years and ate there a lot. Then I moved to Coolidge Corner and hit the Beacon Street one about twice a week. Love the Carnitas Super burrito with black beans and jalapenos. The quesadilla are nice and greasy. the grilled vegetable burrito is pretty good (although, they never seem to cook the rawness out of the sweet potatoes). The chicken is always tender and the steak id good too. I think it's just different strokes. My girlfriend and most of my friends don't understand my Anna's lust, but they are really one of my top 10 favorite places in the world. I live in NYC now and every so often I'll be walking down the sidewalk when a craving hits. I'm with you on the salsa though. I always found it to be watery and bland. The tortilla are soft cause they steam them before filling them up to make them more pliable so they don't tear. I never liked their guacamole as its very processed and pasty. I like mine chunky. I'm heading up that way for the next few days, so I'm hoping to make an Anna's run.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Wed, 08/22/07 8:52 AM
Last evening on Cronicle a local Ch 5 TV show they did a bit on Anna's.
Seems cheap enouugh, in fact the whole show was cheap eats around the Boston area. Watched them make them they looked pretty good, but must admit I've only eaten one bourrito in my life and that was last week. It Was a spot in Davis Square Sommerville called Boloco.
It was alright I think, a little pricey for what you get, but then again I have nothing to judge it by.
It just dosen't seem like a food offering that would get me excited anytime soon. www.boloco.com
Chow Jim

Ashphalt
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Wed, 08/22/07 9:32 AM
Jim, IMO Boloco is an example of the "roll anything in flatbread and call it a burrito" school. In fact, they used to be called "The Wrap" and targeted college neghborhoods but when everyone else (including the school cafeterias) started serving wraps cheaper they changed their name and started calling everything a burrito instead of a wrap. Believe me, even as "unauthentic" as some will call Anna's or San Francisco Mission burritos, you won't find chicken teriyaki burritos on their menus.

If you get a chance and want a cheap filling bite, try Anna's. I'd recommend the steak or carne asada for a touch of smoky flavor.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 11:45 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried the burritos from a place called Moe's? Its a chain in New England and the burritos are MUCH better than anything Anna's has to offer IMO. I predict that if a Moe's were to ever open up in Boston, Anna's would have some stiff competition.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 1:23 PM

Moe's extends far beyond New England. But as described by others above, their version of the Burrito (in a variety of "flavors"), is a long way off of the greasey thing you get from a stand in SoCal. I prefer the original, Heavy-duty Tortilla with meat and cheese held in place by some pasty beans and a dollap of REAL Sour Cream spread around inside. Forget the green stuff ('cept for a few Jalopena slices).
While I can understand the variations based on marketing strategy...I HATE the stupid "cheerleader" antics that must come out of the franchiser's training manual when you enter Moe's. The screaming welcome makes me feel as though My Ex is expecting me to hand her a check when I reach the counter !!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 1:31 PM
What's a mission style burrito and why does my mind immediately jump to missionary style?

Ashphalt
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 1:48 PM
Mission style burritos come out of San Francisco and are named after the traditionally Latin Mission District. They are typically made with large (10" +) tortillas and overstuffed with a variety of ingredients, typically including rice. They're essentially a meal in a wrap, typically composed of a meat, beans, rice, cheese and salsa with the option of guacamole, sour cream, and in many Eastern establishments lettuce, onions, olives, etc.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 2:02 PM
Any hopes to snag a north Texas franchish?? Sounds grreat to me!!!
Joe

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Thu, 11/15/07 4:17 PM

Thanks Asphalt for listing all the ingredients...Some had slipped my mind. My problem with Moe's version of that combination is that it is 75 percent or so Rice. A little goes a long way with Rice in a Burrito (to me). The rest of the stuff needs to be the "majority" flavor makers, but Moe's and a number of similiar places make it a "Rice Wrap" with some little touches of meat and cheese.

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
RE: Anna's Taqueria - Boston Mass - Fri, 11/16/07 3:21 PM
In answer to the original question, I have lived here about 15 years, and I agree - Anna's is totally over-rated. I'm picky, I grew up in California, but I don't ever go to Anna's unless someone else insists (and pays?! ).

Generally burritos are better in CA, and I only say that because one has a better chance of getting a great burrito from a lot of local places and chains too (High Tech for example) than one does in Boston.

That said, I will disclose the location of the BEST (really fantastic) burritos in Boston, if you buy me a meal there. It's one of the few places I love & don't disclose because it is so totally unknown and I'd like it to stay that way.