Korean Fried Chicken

Post
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2007/08/25 16:03:09
I just started reading about this very recently in one of my favorite food blogs, and further in links they provided. Also by googling. I noticed that this style of chicken is becoming popular in Los Angeles, the New York area, as well as North Jersey, and a place in the Cheltenham area of Philly. With every single review I've read, the reviewer states that it is the best fried chicken they have ever eaten in their lives. The restaurants have names like Bon Chon, Bon Bon, etc. Oh, there's a place in Jackson Heights, NY, with the cute name of Unidentified Flying Chickens. I am dying to try this chicken! It apparently comes in a sweet flavor and a hot flavor, and that's it. Anybody reading this tried it yet?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 16:23:59
Sounds really interesting to me. Unfortunately Knoxville, TN will probably have this treat about 2020 or later.

I am always interested in how other cultures do fried chicken.

There was another group of South American culture that was doing fried chicken. I do not recall the name of the group but from what I read, folks were lining up to get what they were doing. Somehow I think it was around the DC area.


Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 16:39:06
It was the Peruvian rotisserie chicken, Paul, and I still haven't tried that yet either. One of the biggest places down there, El Pollo Rico in Wheaton, MD, was raided in July and closed, but appears to have reopened this month.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 16:45:40
Thanks Harriett: I googled it and found this review. Sounds good to me. I missed it though as it is not fried chicken but sounds really good.

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/washington/restaurants/el-pollo-rico/v-102494203?invocationType=local-soam

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 16:46:08
Here's a review on exactly what you were talking about, Harriet.
http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/counter-intelligence/bird-is-the-word/16968/
I haven't tried it yet but yes, it does sound delicious!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 16:50:44
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Here's a review on exactly what you were talking about, Harriet.
http://www.laweekly.com/eat+drink/counter-intelligence/bird-is-the-word/16968/
I haven't tried it yet but yes, it does sound delicious!


Sounds really good to me. Thanks Harriett for turning us on to this but it may be years before I get a chance to try it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/25 18:33:08
Today, Saturday, I watched the re-run of the Feasting on Asphalt that I missed while on the road earlier in the week...followed by Alton Brown's Hosting of the Best Restaurant Show as named by "Bon Appetite" magazine. 'Cut to the Chicken section'...I thought it was interesting that we seem to put a premium on "Pan-Fried Chicken" in all the discussions here on Roadfood, yet all the places named in the program 'Deep-Fried' their chicken!

Here in the Louisville area I doubt if K F C will EVER stand for KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN !!!
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/26 01:32:56
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Today, Saturday, I watched the re-run of the Feasting on Asphalt that I missed while on the road earlier in the week...followed by Alton Brown's Hosting of the Best Restaurant Show as named by "Bon Appetite" magazine. 'Cut to the Chicken section'...I thought it was interesting that we seem to put a premium on "Pan-Fried Chicken" in all the discussions here on Roadfood, yet all the places named in the program 'Deep-Fried' their chicken!

Here in the Louisville area I doubt if K F C will EVER stand for KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN !!!

Bon Appetite"
i watched this and wondered how they came up with thier results. some didn't seem to be fair or make since.....just my oppinion...i guess this should be a new thread.... AL its late and i spilled a little to much evans in my coke.
how bout that thread.
thanks
nuff said
ron
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/26 05:40:32
zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal/?p=123
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/27 14:49:27
There is a Korean Fried Chicken place close to me here in Va. A Korean friend of mine highly recommends this stuff, of course she may be a little bias...LOL

The place is in Centreville, Va. and I have every intention of trying it soon. I'll try and post a few pictures when I finally have a chance to give it a try.

Alisa describes it just as you have Harriot, available with a sweet or spicy sauce, or no sauce at all.
hep2thejive
Hamburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/27 14:53:57
I'm the DC area as well. I will give it shot - probably Wednesday afternoon. I'll try to get some photos up too.

Hep
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Korean Fried Chicken 2007/08/27 15:42:32
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Sounds really interesting to me. Unfortunately Knoxville, TN will probably have this treat about 2020 or later.

I am always interested in how other cultures do fried chicken.

There was another group of South American culture that was doing fried chicken. I do not recall the name of the group but from what I read, folks were lining up to get what they were doing. Somehow I think it was around the DC area.


Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


You are thinking of Pollo Campero. It was a big deal when they came to Houston a couple of years ago. I tried it, it was very good. It has a thin almost non existent crust and is very spicy almost like Popeyes.

http://www.campero.com/index_eng_flash.php

joe