Thai Snow cones

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
Thai Snow cones - Mon, 09/3/07 4:16 AM
So my adventure continues. At the dessert stand, I was like, whatever, give it to me. The guy hardly spoke english, but the tubs were labeled - kind of. I got boba, jackfruit, white squares that I thought were agar agar at first, but were more like pears from fruit cocktail. What had me stumped were seeds.They were like large lima beans, but all white and soft, like they had been soaking in a syrup.

They poured crushed ice over it, then gestured to 3 syrups. One was Jasmine. The other ones he could only describe as "red" and the green one he just made a "no" gesture.

It was so refreshing on a hot day.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Thai Snow cones - Mon, 09/3/07 8:14 AM
They probably were candied beans. Some places have a variety of sizes, shapes and colors of candied beans and even corn (not the Halloween stuff).

I've also seen candied sweet potato chunks, including the purple ones ("ube" in the Philippines). And sometimes it's sweetened condensed milk instead of syrup. In the Philippines, maybe ice cream or flan on top.

All good stuff.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Thai Snow cones - Wed, 09/5/07 4:25 AM
I found white beans and they are almost the same, but not as see-through. Finally I found them - dried attap fruit.