Charlotte Ruge

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
  • Reward points : 0
Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 11:10 AM
Not sure of the spelling,but in the 50's my mom found us a dessert, she said was from her childhood--served in a round cardboard cup,it had pound cake, and I remember whipped cream and I believe you pushed it up from the bottom of the cardboard container. Anyone ever heard of this old-time treat? How was it made? Is it still available anywhere?

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 11:14 AM
Lee,it's called CHARLOTTE RUSSE...I make it every Christmas

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6086
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 11:17 AM
Thanks,igdiva,

but how is it made?

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 11:25 AM
I believe true Charlotte Russe is an old classic dessert, something similar to a trifle. It's a stiff egg custard sometimes flavored with sherry set in a mold of sponge cake or lady fingers.

However, there are various American confections that take the basic concept and spin it into a more common treat. Do a search on Google and you'll see a number of variations, apparently one that is or was a Brooklyn favorite, maybe what you're looking for.

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 12:53 PM
My dad, born in Brooklyn in the 20's, spoke lovingly of the charlotte russe as his favorite chidhood treat.
That list grew to include the knoblewurst from KATZ'S; anything at SLOPPY LOUIE'S; the fried clams & calamari from our local fishmonger; and the strawberry shortcake my mom always made on his birthday.
Ron

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/3/07 2:17 PM
Lee,here is the recipe that I love to use...Except,I brush the ladyfingers with some good bourbon before I put them in the springform pan...I hope that this helps...!

MISS SUSAN'S "NEVER FAIL" CHARLOTTE RUSSE

1 env. unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. milk
2 beaten egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
1 pt. heavy cream, whipped
1 pkg. ladyfingers
Maraschino cherries

Soak the gelatin in the water. Combine the sugar, milk and egg yolks and cook to a custard sauce. Add the water/gelatin to the custard. When the mixture is cold and beginning to stiffen, add the vanilla, beaten egg whites, and the whipped cream.
Line the bottom and sides of a serving dish (or a springform pan with a removable bottom) with the ladyfingers and pour in the Charlotte Russe mixture. Chill until firm. Decorate with maraschino cherries.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Mon, 09/10/07 11:50 AM
This is an interesting thread....I've never heard of the dessert...but there is a chain of stores here on the east coast that carry women's clothing called Charlotte Russe!

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Charlotte Ruge - Thu, 11/29/07 4:17 PM