Super Market Crab Cakes

fdm813
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 0
Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 3:24 PM
I love crab cakes. That being said, with my work schedule I can't always be home to receive mail order items. What crab cakes are recommended that are available in most mega marts? Thanks for any help.
Frank
Roanoke, Va

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 3:32 PM

I am sorry that I have to report on the negative side of this question. We have tried the Crab Cakes from the Deli-Seafood dept. of our local Meijers Superstore. They were not worth the 99 cent each charge. Basically a flattened Stove-Top Stuffing Ball with some of the Fake Seafood bits in them! Pass by this offer when you see them.

PS- Not sure if Meijers is in VA... It is a Michigan Based Big-Box WalMart (Target) SuperCenter look-alike. It does stock Vernors Ginger Ale, so all is not lost !

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 5:40 PM
Philips frozen will do in a pinch if you can't get the real thing.

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 5:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Philips frozen will do in a pinch if you can't get the real thing.

agreed. but saute/fry them in olive oil and unsalted butter. they are already a little salty and salted butter puts them over the top.

fdm813
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 8:06 PM
Thanks, Philips is available at my local Walmart. A little squeeze of fresh lemon and I am good to go.
Frank
Roanoke, Va.

sftreat
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 09/3/07 8:13 PM
Without question the best mail order crabcake you can get is available from www.faidleyscrabcakes.com in Lexington Market in downtown Baltimore. Maryland is crab central, nuff said!

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Tue, 09/4/07 3:33 AM
my advice would be to buy some crabmeat 1 lump 1 special 1 claw follow a recipe make your own and freeze them (they freeze very well) this will take like 5 min
enjoy
ron

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Tue, 09/4/07 7:16 AM
I have also used the Phillips, and they are pretty tasty.I agree with Larry as to their saltiness.Serve with a remoulade sauce and you have a decent substitute to the finer ones that are out there.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Tue, 09/4/07 3:15 PM
Trader Joe's has a pretty good product. Still, not the same as some of those great crab shacks in the mid Atlantic, but they do in a pinch. Chow Jim

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Tue, 09/4/07 3:37 PM
I grab them from a farmers market. Can't tell you exactly where to get them but I would say if you see anything costing 99 cents run. Couldn't pay for bait to put in the crab traps.

fdm813
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Thu, 09/6/07 4:27 AM
I bought Phillips this evening. Let them thaw in the frig. Then sauted them in olive oil and unsalted butter. Very good, a squeeze of lemon and a few drops of my fav hot sauce. Deelish! For a total cost of $6.11 (for 2) I will do this more often. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Frank
Roanoke, Va.

donnablue
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Thu, 09/6/07 5:12 PM
I have found the Phillips lump crab cakes in FL, too, at the Winn Dixie stores. They even go on sale there from time to time! I had the real lump crab cakes in Annapolis last Fall (yummy), but I must say Phillips does a real good job for a supermarket crab cake. Donnablue (formerly from Mass. with it's awesome seafood, and now living in FL near Disney)

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Thu, 09/6/07 5:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sftreat

Without question the best mail order crabcake you can get is available from www.faidleyscrabcakes.com in Lexington Market in downtown Baltimore. Maryland is crab central, nuff said!

I strongly disagree. The crabcakes ordered from Faidley's paled in comparison to the ones from G&M. In fact, when I tasted the ones from Faidley's I could not believe that people considered them better than G&M. I've been told since that Faidley's mail-order crabcakes are not the same as the ones sold on premises.

GCD1962
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Sun, 09/9/07 9:54 PM
A friend who sells fish to high-end places recently told me that a lot of crab (including dungeness) is being shipped frozen to China for processing then ship to Europe (and some maybe finding its way back to the U.S.) Country of origin is U.S. but has to say processed in China (or where ever it is done). The BIG concern here is that a lot of water is used in the processing for cleaning etc. It's questionable as to the quality and purity of the water used. No doubt this seemingly cheaper crab meat is going to supermarkets and made into "cheap" crab cakes. In my opinion - YUCK ! I'll pay more for quality, not for quantity at a cheap price

TerpsSkinsFan
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Sun, 01/13/08 8:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by sftreat

I strongly disagree. The crabcakes ordered from Faidley's paled in comparison to the ones from G&M. In fact, when I tasted the ones from Faidley's I could not believe that people considered them better than G&M. I've been told since that Faidley's mail-order crabcakes are not the same as the ones sold on premises.

I'd definitely lean towards G&M over Faidley's if I were to send them, but that's good to know from someone who's actually sampled the two... Thanks for the input!

• Total Posts : 335
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Sat, 03/15/08 5:37 PM
I have purchased Private Selection crab cakes from my local Kroger and have found them quite good, enough to make me believe I am somewhere in Maryland when I close my eyes! However, be warned: the box says PRODUCT OF THAILAND on it!

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Mon, 04/7/08 9:48 PM
Crab cakes take very little time to make. Just buying a pound of canned crab meat and making and freezing yourself will be far superior to what you can get at any store.

sveinbjorn
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Thu, 04/10/08 12:22 AM
I've made crab cakes with real crab and also with surimi or "faux crab."
Believe it or not, the faux crab cakes were nearly as good at a much lower price. (Lump crab meat goes for $15 a lb. where I'm at) I found a good recipe for remoulade sauce to top them with. Now I'm in crab cake heaven!! recipezaar.com is where I found both recipes. They are super easy to make.

Svein

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Super Market Crab Cakes - Thu, 04/10/08 1:40 AM
Why not do your own? It does not take that long and you are going to enjoy them so much more. I go to Sam's Club or Costco and for $16-$17 you get a pound of fresh pasturized lump crab that will last months unopened in the refrigerator. That's the key! You are away on a business trip, come home and the crab is right in the refrigerator ready to go. When you have a couple of minutes, you can use any number of recipes from the Internet and make your own. Some are so simple...

I hate filler in a crab cake. Bobby Flay has a wonderful recipe that uses very, very little. My own recipe uses no filler. I just made it up and it works for us. I very, very lightly saute some chopped celery, fresh red pepper, fresh parsley, salt, Bay's seasoning, lemon zest, black pepper and scallions. You want some texture, but still want to slightly cook the mixture. Let it cool and add the crab very lightly so you don't break it up too much. I hold the mixture together with Duke's Mayo. Yes, they will be loose, but they will hold together. I never tried it with an egg...Worried about salmonella.

I roll the crab cakes in Panko breadcrumbs. I clarify butter, place it in a oven corning ware, heat the butter (it will not burn) and add the crab cakes. They do not need much baking time. I just do it by sight. No, they will not have that deep pan fried apppearance. I guess you could pan fry them in clarified butter instead of baking them. I never tried them that way..yet

Anyway, I get 8 decent sized crab cakes that can serve 4 people for $16. Of course, you need some sides with that to make a nice full meal. Still, its reasonable and people love crab cakes. You don't need all the ingredients I use. Some recipes have just a few. It's all about the crab anyway. the stuff from Sam's is pretty darn good.