Yodels>Ho Ho's

Author Message
Eatallday
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/19/2006
Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 09/10/07 7:53 PM
0
For some reason most of my life i've always dismissed the Yodel and went for the Ho Ho... since Ho Ho's were so common and could be found anywhere while Yodels while still at most supermarkets are a little more obscure. But for the last 5 months we been carrying all the drakes snacks at my work and i been consuming the majority of the yodels. Well today the hostess guy came in and put the products right up next to the drake's so i had to see for myself which one reigned supreme. 1st up the yodel, dark ganache outside coating, very good chocolate, the cake was dense and enjoyable, creme was tasty. next up the ho ho...while a ho ho is bigger in size this is definately the case of quality over quantity. the coating on the outside is lighter, more of a milky preservative taste. the cake is a lot more fluffy, light, airy some words to describe it. the creme is alright but creme's least important part to me anyway. Yodel wins in a landslide. what do u guys think?

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/23/2007
  • Location: washington, DC
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 09/10/07 8:02 PM
0
It is my dream to deep fry a hoho (like a twinkie or oreo). There. I admitted it. Now, I guess I will have to try a yodel first to make sure I batter the right cake.

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 09/10/07 11:09 PM
0
Both Yodel and HoHo, just like the Ring Ding and Ding Dong (fka King Don, and Big Wheel because of legal issues with Ring Ding). Now they're all the same company, and in the NY area, the Ding Dongs (and I think the HoHo's) are actually made at the Drake bakery! But they are so different, and the Drake's were always more unique and with a better consistency and taste. Sadly, they never went national like Hostess, and even under the ownership, IBC has pulled Drakes out of places like Florida!

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/1/2004
  • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 09/11/07 12:01 AM
0
my favorite nowadays is a "whoopie pie", mostly found in the Amish country !
choc cake saucer with a creamy whipped center...

yum!

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/3/2006
  • Location: Philadelphia, PA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 09/11/07 1:06 AM
0
I've always been a Devil Dog man.

frogger67
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/29/2006
  • Location: Arlington, VA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 2:13 PM
0
Yodels over Ho Hos....Devil Dogs over Suzy-Qs.....Ring Dings over Big Wheels (or Ding Dongs, whatever they call them now)....Yankee Doodles over Hostess Cupcakes.

Drakes rules. Too bad all we have in our area are the Drakes Fruit Pies, FunnyBones (my least favorite) and Devil Dogs. But three is better than none.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/23/2007
  • Location: washington, DC
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 2:16 PM
0
What's a funny bone? Also, the postings in tehis thread keep making me smile. The names...it's like falling into a Suess story.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/14/2005
  • Location: Sharon, MA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 2:30 PM
0
These were all rare and special treats when I was a kid. Maybe that's why I was the only one who liked Funny Bones the best. When I could get 'em, I went for the full decadence.

The Funny Bone, as I recall, was chocolate cake (I think with the Yodel frosting) with a sweet peanut butter filling. Definitely sweet enough to send most mortals into a 24-hour coma.

Hostess had more and better advertising. Drake's cakes ruled for taste.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/25/2003
  • Location: Las Cruces, NM
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 3:33 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

my favorite nowadays is a "whoopie pie", mostly found in the Amish country !
choc cake saucer with a creamy whipped center...

yum!


Yes indeed. When it comes to food, sometimes I really miss living on the East Coast. The Whoppie Pie is one more example that of the 50 states, Pennsylvania takes honors when it comes to unique cuisine by region. There are just some things you can't find anywhere else, and whoopie pie is one of them.

Frankman
  • Total Posts : 300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/21/2002
  • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 4:09 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Eatallday

For some reason most of my life i've always dismissed the Yodel and went for the Ho Ho... since Ho Ho's were so common and could be found anywhere while Yodels while still at most supermarkets are a little more obscure. But for the last 5 months we been carrying all the drakes snacks at my work and i been consuming the majority of the yodels. Well today the hostess guy came in and put the products right up next to the drake's so i had to see for myself which one reigned supreme. 1st up the yodel, dark ganache outside coating, very good chocolate, the cake was dense and enjoyable, creme was tasty. next up the ho ho...while a ho ho is bigger in size this is definately the case of quality over quantity. the coating on the outside is lighter, more of a milky preservative taste. the cake is a lot more fluffy, light, airy some words to describe it. the creme is alright but creme's least important part to me anyway. Yodel wins in a landslide. what do u guys think?


Yes, I've always preferred Yodels to HoHos. I do think though, that the taste has changed over the years. I hadn't eaten those snacks for many years and when I tasted them again they seemed not as chocolatey and sweet. Funny Bones tasted awful as well as Ring Dings. Devil Dogs are about the same.

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 09/13/07 9:13 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by frogger67

Yodels over Ho Hos....Devil Dogs over Suzy-Qs.....Ring Dings over Big Wheels (or Ding Dongs, whatever they call them now)....Yankee Doodles over Hostess Cupcakes.

Drakes rules. Too bad all we have in our area are the Drakes Fruit Pies, FunnyBones (my least favorite) and Devil Dogs. But three is better than none.
You're lucky you have them at all in VA. They were never big down there, and the last I had heard, even the DC-Baltimore area distibutor had folded. So who's distributing them now? IBC? (Are they sold with the Hostess products, delivered in the same truck like they are in NY?)

frogger67
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/29/2006
  • Location: Arlington, VA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 09/14/07 10:49 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Eric B

quote:
Originally posted by frogger67

Yodels over Ho Hos....Devil Dogs over Suzy-Qs.....Ring Dings over Big Wheels (or Ding Dongs, whatever they call them now)....Yankee Doodles over Hostess Cupcakes.

Drakes rules. Too bad all we have in our area are the Drakes Fruit Pies, FunnyBones (my least favorite) and Devil Dogs. But three is better than none.
You're lucky you have them at all in VA. They were never big down there, and the last I had heard, even the DC-Baltimore area distibutor had folded. So who's distributing them now? IBC? (Are they sold with the Hostess products, delivered in the same truck like they are in NY?)


Not sure who distributes them, but they sporadically show up in supermarkets around here--Giant and Safeway mostly but sometimes Shoppers Food Warehouse.
There is a Wegman's about 30 minutes away and since that's a NY based food store, maybe they have more Drakes?

Yankeesfan
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/15/2007
  • Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Sat, 09/15/07 7:40 PM
0
When I was little my mother would buy Devil Dogs every week. We would ask her to please buy Ring Dings or Yodels or whatever else was around, but it was ALWAYS Devil Dogs. So while I'm sure they are delicious I have a bit of an aversion to them now.

On a related note, this is sad: my local 7-11 just stopped selling Zingers. Alas ...

janifer
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2002
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 09/21/07 8:09 AM
0
Drakes has had a presence in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years, though never the full selection that my friends from NJ grew up with.

I loved Ho-Ho's and when I moved from NE Ohio 30 years ago my Mom would mail them to me. Hostess products finally showed up here about 10 years after I did and I was thrilled at the prospect of Ho-Ho's whenever I wanted them ... but they had changed. The cake was thin and dry and the choco coating had a plastic quality to it. Oh well.

I've never tried Yodels but I'll look to see if they're available and give them a try.

Yankeesfan
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/15/2007
  • Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 09/25/07 12:39 PM
0
Janifer, I also have tried an occasional Ho-Ho and found it disappointing; was never sure whether I was just remembering it incorrectly or if it had changed. So you've answered that question.

Now this is seriously distressing: it appears that ALL of the 7-11s in my area have stopped selling Zingers!!!

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 10/25/07 7:40 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by frogger67
Not sure who distributes them, but they sporadically show up in supermarkets around here--Giant and Safeway mostly but sometimes Shoppers Food Warehouse.
There is a Wegman's about 30 minutes away and since that's a NY based food store, maybe they have more Drakes?

Wegman's? Never heard of that store. Can't be from NYC; might it be western NY State or something? Or a regional store chain owned by a company based in NY?
quote:
Originally posted by janifer

Drakes has had a presence in the Florida Panhandle for about 15 years, though never the full selection that my friends from NJ grew up with.
Are the STILL there? I had heard they were pulled out of Florida. At least in the Orlando area, they were all gone two years ago.

drummagick
  • Total Posts : 167
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/26/2005
  • Location: Wenatchee, WA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 10/26/07 3:03 PM
0
Ho-Hos used to be better than Ding Dongs when they first came out. Now I like Ding Dongs better. I don't think we can get Yodels here. We can get Little Debbie Swiss Rolls though, but I haven't tried them.

MissJohnnycakes
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Deermont, CO
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Sat, 10/27/07 7:11 PM
0
Yodels, no question about it! At least, that's my fond memory of them from the early 90s--have not seen them here (Colorado) since then. Even then, it was only ONE store selling them. When I was a kid in the 60s back east, Drakes products were everywhere.

Funnybones were a little too sweet for my taste, which is why I like Yodels--they were closer to being "rich" than "sweet", at least in comparison with other kiddie snacks.

But what I really, really miss are Drakes cookie packs. Six (?) large, thin, slightly spicy CHEWY oatmeal cookies, mmmmm. The sugar cookies were yummy, too.

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/8/2006
  • Location: Wilmington, DE
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Sat, 10/27/07 8:00 PM
0
You can throw Little Debbies into the mix there. I think they all taste the same. Funny Bones are the best!

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 11/1/07 9:40 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by MissJohnnycakes

Yodels, no question about it! At least, that's my fond memory of them from the early 90s--have not seen them here (Colorado) since then. Even then, it was only ONE store selling them. When I was a kid in the 60s back east, Drakes products were everywhere.
Maybe that was the same expansion that took them out to California in '89? Out there, it was Von's supermarkets that were distributing them.

But in '89, when I was in Denver, you all had Break Cakes, with the choc. vanilla, strawberry Shake Cakes. Now, how did you like THOSE?
Sure wish they were still around, and would come here to NY!

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 11/1/07 9:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

my favorite nowadays is a "whoopie pie", mostly found in the Amish country !
choc cake saucer with a creamy whipped center...

yum!


Yes indeed. When it comes to food, sometimes I really miss living on the East Coast. The Whoppie Pie is one more example that of the 50 states, Pennsylvania takes honors when it comes to unique cuisine by region. There are just some things you can't find anywhere else, and whoopie pie is one of them.


WHO WHOA WHOA WHOA! HOLD ON THERE COWGIRL/BOY!!!!!!
Whoopie Pies are QUITE common in the Boston area. In fact I thought they originated here! I'll have to check that. In any case the best ones IMHO (I have tested MANY) are by Steve's Snacks in Maine (I meant to write down the town, Oskegan or something?). They have a website but it isn't running full speed yet. Thick, rich, large and perfect - for me. YUM!!!!!!!

(BTW I almost started a thread on whoopie pies recently, in fact I searched every spelling of the word and came up with nuthin', good ole search function, hmmmm.)

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 11/1/07 10:03 PM
0
I forgot to stay on topic and add that I am a Ho-Ho fan. But I have only had a Yodel once and forget what it was like...

According to Wikipedia (yes I know not the be all end all but still...) whoopie pie origins are uncertain but they are common in PA and New England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopie_pie

The article is wrong when it says they are available at Quincy Market in Boston and fails to mention any place else - we (Boston area) have them at almost every bakery around and most supermarkets as well. Very common. I like mine with the thicker more sugary, less fluffy, filling.

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2003
  • Location: Boston, MA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 11/2/07 1:08 PM
0
Ye gods, Ding Dongs! Is there any snackcake that's better? Just the scent of a Ding Dong, just out of the package, is enough for my eyes to roll back in their sockets...

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 11/2/07 1:49 PM
0
I can never decide when faced with that choice: Ding Dong or Ho Ho...!!!!!!!


MissJohnnycakes
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Deermont, CO
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/12/07 10:38 PM
0
Eric B,

I have not eaten Break Cakes, unless they are a line from Little Debbie's. Every Little Debbie item I've tried was way too sweet for my tastes.

There was a website specializing in niche food items. Many of the nostagia-inducing foods mentioned in this bbs were available from them. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company!!!!! If I do, I'll post it in Roadfood for sure.

MissJohnnycakes
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Deermont, CO
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/12/07 10:45 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by cecif

WHO WHOA WHOA WHOA! HOLD ON THERE COWGIRL/BOY!!!!!!
Whoopie Pies are QUITE common in the Boston area. In fact I thought they originated here! I'll have to check that. In any case the best ones IMHO (I have tested MANY) are by Steve's Snacks in Maine (I meant to write down the town, Oskegan or something?). They have a website but it isn't running full speed yet. Thick, rich, large and perfect - for me. YUM!!!!!!!

(BTW I almost started a thread on whoopie pies recently, in fact I searched every spelling of the word and came up with nuthin', good ole search function, hmmmm.)



If they're not a New England specialty, they sure aren't a national one! They don't seem to sell them in the west. I just returned from a trip to Massachusetts (where I grew up). Stopped in a "village store" in East Orleans and was in whoopie pie heaven. They had *fresh* PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES! They also had Steve's Snacks ones, which I did not try because their homemade pumpkin ones were so good that when I returned the next day, I had to get another one! By the way, the Steve's whoopie pies were noticeably smaller than these unnamed pumpkin whoopies. But Steve's had a maple nut flavor that I wish I'd bought for later consumption.

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 11/13/07 8:49 AM
0
MissJohnnycakes, any chance the place in Orleans where you had the whoopie pies was "Hot Chocolate Sparrow"?? BTW Steve's Snacks pies are sometimes smaller than other brands but they are far better quality cake & filling than most, IMHO. Pumpkin sounds yummy btw.


mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/8/2006
  • Location: Dallas, TX
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 11/13/07 9:04 AM
0
Wow! Living in Dallas, the Hostess stuff is in competition with Mrs. Bairds- there are no Drakes Cakes in Big D.
Since we are originally from upstate NY, Drakes ruled at home, as far as we were concerned. I'm not that big on chocolate but my spouse is...personally, I loved the cinnamon crumb cake snack- boy that was good with a cuppa!

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Wed, 11/14/07 11:01 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by MissJohnnycakes

Eric B,

I have not eaten Break Cakes, unless they are a line from Little Debbie's. Every Little Debbie item I've tried was way too sweet for my tastes.

There was a website specializing in niche food items. Many of the nostagia-inducing foods mentioned in this bbs were available from them. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company!!!!! If I do, I'll post it in Roadfood for sure.
Break's was by RAINBO Bread (Campbell Taggart, now Earth Grains). I first saw them in San Antonio (Bread label was COLONIAL; and that's where I first saw Mrs. Baird's as well, which is now tied in with national Hispanic snack brands Bimbo and Marinelas). I also saw the Rainbo Breaks at a truck stop on I5 between LA and San Francisco, though those cities themselves did not seem to have them. (SF had the Kilpatrick label bread, though). Now, though Earth Grains is still around it appears the cake label as well as all the old bread labels seem to be discontinued.

MissJohnnycakes
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Deermont, CO
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Wed, 11/14/07 8:23 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by cecif

MissJohnnycakes, any chance the place in Orleans where you had the whoopie pies was "Hot Chocolate Sparrow"?? BTW Steve's Snacks pies are sometimes smaller than other brands but they are far better quality cake & filling than most, IMHO. Pumpkin sounds yummy btw.



No, the store that sold the homemade pumpkin whoopie pies was the East Orleans Village Store, or something to that effect. It is on the way to Nauset (town) beach. I did go to the Sparrow, though, for ice cream (Richardson's maple nut). I already miss the great food in Mass. *sigh*

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Thu, 11/15/07 11:28 AM
0
My wife just picked up a generic (probably store-made) pumpkin whoopie pie at WHOLE FOODS, last night, but then put it back in favor of a tiramisu. I was thinking of taking it, but wanted an apple parfait instead.
All this talk about "whoopie pies", I had forgotten that that was what those "cake cookie" sandwiches I was seeing at Whole Foods were called. I always am tempted to pick one of those up when I go there. I had tried the pumpkin not too long ago. Pretty good. (Dunkins Donuts has also had Pumpkin dunuts and a pumpkin muffin recently).

I wonder if Whole Foods is a northeatern thing as well, or if they have any across the country.

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Fri, 11/16/07 12:08 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Eric B


I wonder if Whole Foods is a northeatern thing as well, or if they have any across the country.

Whole Foods is not just national (on both coasts and in between...) but international as well! But the prices in the London stores were enough to make me turn around and walk back out. Hugely popular though.

Happy Whoopie Eating to All! (And Yodels & Ho-Hos too...)

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/2/2005
  • Location: orlando, FL
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/19/07 12:58 AM
0
Orlando area has Drake's Yodels .. picked up a box to try
Not a fan of Drake's usually .. I will post after eating

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/19/07 10:01 PM
0
Oh, they were out of there two years ago, this month! Even went to the big Merita depot (easy to find with the big sign near the skyline) and they said Drakes had just been pulled from the area for low sales, or something. (The bakery thrift store lady even said they were too dry. But that's what makes them so unique. Everyone is too used to that Hostess/Dolly Madison chocolate).
Glad they are apparently back!

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/2/2005
  • Location: orlando, FL
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/19/07 10:55 PM
0
The yodels were better than I expected .. but the chocolate coating was too thick for my tastes .. and too pricey IMO

Orlando area Albertson's Wal-Mart Publix stores are carrying Drakes .. some stores only 1 or 2 choices other stores 4 or 5
I have seen Devil Dogs Yodels Funny Bones Coffee Cakes

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/2/2005
  • Location: orlando, FL
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Mon, 11/19/07 11:00 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by MissJohnnycakes


But what I really, really miss are Drakes cookie packs. Six (?) large, thin, slightly spicy CHEWY oatmeal cookies, mmmmm. The sugar cookies were yummy, too.


This site has the cookies .. they have Chocolate Chip,Coconut,Lemon,and Oatmeal .. they take PayPal
http://www.drakescakesonline.com/

BlueberrieSwirl
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/9/2006
  • Location: Crimora, VA
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 11/20/07 11:50 PM
0
Blue Bird Red Velvet Bingles. I almost never buy them because I can easily eat a package of two and still want more.

Martin's, a grocery chain near here, has fresh made whoopie pies that I keep wanting to try, but the calorie count terrifies me.

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Wed, 11/21/07 8:55 PM
0
quote:
Blue Bird Red Velvet Bingles.
Oh, wow! That's Flowers! And Bingles are their imitation Twinkies (called "goldfingers" on other labels). Red velvet? That must be new.

Those used to be so dry and gritty (which makes me wonder how southerners could talk about Drake's like that). So these are really good?

Eric B
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/12/2005
  • Location: NYC (Queens), NY
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 10/18/11 10:00 PM
0
I visited Norfolk last month (to check out the new Tide rail, and saw the expansion of Macy's and several other NY-based stores down there, such as Conway's and SND).
At the Wal-Mart, I finally saw Drakes, though only a few boxes of Apple and Cherry pies. Still, I've finally seen Drakes sold down there, and now know that everyone that's been saying they see them in VA are not hallucinating after all!
 
What I went in there to get were the Red Velvet Bingles, and also the Banana Pudding Cupcakes (both by Flowers; Mrs. Freshley label rather than Bluebird) I had been hearing about. Pretty good!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4898
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Tue, 10/18/11 11:18 PM
0
I grew up with Drake's and Devil Dog's was my number one go to snack.

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 742
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/11/2010
  • Location: Roachdale, IN
RE: Yodels>Ho Ho's - Wed, 10/19/11 3:29 PM
0
BlueberrieSwirl


Blue Bird Red Velvet Bingles. I almost never buy them because I can easily eat a package of two and still want more.

Martin's, a grocery chain near here, has fresh made whoopie pies that I keep wanting to try, but the calorie count terrifies me.

 
I just had some of those last week. The box did not last very long indeed!