rack of lamb

Junior Burger
2007/09/11 16:15:59
looking for a good recipe or two for rack of lamb whether grilled or broiled.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/11 16:52:03
quote:
Originally posted by RandellButts

looking for a good recipe or two for rack of lamb whether grilled or broiled.

Simplest one I know:

INGREDIENTS
2 (24 oz.) Racks of Lamb
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
1. Trim the lamb, if necessary, (Frenching) and rub both sides of the rack with olive oil. Sprinkle with rosemary and pepper, rubbing them into the meatiest parts of the racks.
2. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill. Lightly spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. The coals should be moderately hot to hot.

3. Grill the racks, meat side down, for 4 or 5 minutes, or until the temperature of the meatiest part reaches 100°F. Move the racks to the edge of the grill, away from the hottest part of the fire, and cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the temperature reaches 140°F for rare meat. Remove the racks from the grill and let them rest for five minutes before cutting between the ribs into individual chops.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/11 18:50:57
What time is dinner? I will bring the salad and wine.
RandellButts
Junior Burger
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 12:26:59
Thanks Mike,I think I will try this one out. I bought a couple of lamb racks the other day and didn't know what to do with them.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 13:00:43
Here is a link to another thread on this forum from last April. We did a couple of RACKS of LAMB and posted the recipe and photos as a result we got several great suggestions for the cooking of those ribs in the future. Hope this helps!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19333

We really enjoyed the results.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 13:22:54
To start with, I usually buy a nice heavy rack (Australian) from Costco. They are already "Frenched" and partially trimmed of excess fat. You can trim off more if you wish but, I don't recommend it.
Pre-heat your oven to about 500 degrees. Season the meat all over with salt and pepper and sear the meat on all sides on top of your stove in a very hot pan containg about a tablespoon or two of the oil of your choice. Brown on all sides.
Remove from the pan and coat the rack with Dijon mustard. Then apply seasoned breadcrumbs to all sides and place back in the pan and put the pan in the hot oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Time depending on how you like your meat done. I like mine medium rare. (12 minutes) The trick to a perfect rack is to allow the rack to rest for 15 minutes after you remove it from the oven.
Place a piece of aluminium foil over the rack while it's resting. I like to cut "double chops".
This is a tried and true recipe that always pleases.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 13:25:33
Al, Your killing me. The pics of your rack look incredible!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 13:27:47
Oh, further to my above post. A really nice bottle of good Australian Shiraz goes down great with this meal.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 14:36:42
Al, did you cook similar to Twinwillow?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 14:47:42
The opening post on my thread has the recipe we followed. Basically we used some seasoning: Montreal Pepper seasoning for Janet's and Some Garlic Pepper and Coke for mine. Browned in a hot skillet w/ a touch of Olive Oil, then into the hot oven for a 15 minute period . The last time we did them...about a week ago I marinated my rack in Coke with a little Dean's Sauce mixed into it for 20 minutes or so. Then a bit of garlic salt. Janet likes the Pepper taste of the Montreal Seasoning, I don't care much for it, so hers got the pepper.

We did not do the dijon mustard or breadcrumbs that Michael described.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: rack of lamb 2007/09/12 15:54:56
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The opening post on my thread has the recipe we followed. Basically we used some seasoning: Montreal Pepper seasoning for Janet's and Some Garlic Pepper and Coke for mine. Browned in a hot skillet w/ a touch of Olive Oil, then into the hot oven for a 15 minute period . The last time we did them...about a week ago I marinated my rack in Coke with a little Dean's Sauce mixed into it for 20 minutes or so. Then a bit of garlic salt. Janet likes the Pepper taste of the Montreal Seasoning, I don't care much for it, so hers got the pepper.

We did not do the dijon mustard or breadcrumbs that Michael described.

"Try it. You'll like it"