Chili Pequin

Martini007
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Chili Pequin - Fri, 09/14/07 12:22 PM
I have lots of Chili Pequin and i want to bottle it for personal use.
I want to learn the old fashion way.
I know to use
Chili Pequin,
Olive Oil,
Vinegar,
sugar,
What else do i need?

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1066
RE: Chili Pequin - Mon, 09/17/07 10:20 AM
I'm not sure.never tried to do that.I assume it might be like hot pepper sauce,since they are hot.Grow wild all over the place around here. You might try the recipe forum for some advice.
I don't know if any of the people I work with bottle them.Alfred likes to eat them on a sandwich,and use them in salsa.Angie gave him some cause while she and her family like some spice and heat,they think the pequins are muy pico,very hot.
Most people around here use in them in salsa,but I'll ask.

Texas Blues
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Chili Pequin - Fri, 09/21/07 9:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Martini007

I have lots of Chili Pequin and i want to bottle it for personal use.
I want to learn the old fashion way.
I know to use
Chili Pequin,
Olive Oil,
Vinegar,
sugar,
What else do i need?

I'd leave out the olive oil. Sugar? As Spock would say..."fascinating"
Go to thehotpepper.com and click forum. Heaps of pepper and chiliheads...hardcore. I love pequins loooong time.
Cheers

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Chili Pequin - Sat, 09/22/07 11:04 AM
I dry them and then crush them up and make pepper flakes. I use them to spice up dishes while I'm cooking. I supposed you could add peanut oil and make hot oil like Asian restaurants do.

joe

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Chili Pequin - Mon, 09/24/07 10:05 PM
^^^Texianjoe beat me to it but that's what I do with them too.

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Chili Pequin - Mon, 09/24/07 10:09 PM
I have never heard of them.
What do they look like?

BT
RE: Chili Pequin - Mon, 09/24/07 10:25 PM
^^^

On the bush:

Dried:

BT
RE: Chili Pequin - Mon, 09/24/07 10:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Texianjoe
I supposed you could add peanut oil and make hot oil like Asian restaurants do.

joe

To do that, start with good peanut oil (if it doesn't smell like peanuts, it won't have much flavor either)--an Asian brand like Lion & Globe :

Pour the oil into a stainless saucepan and add lots of dried pequins to make a dense mixture of oil and pequins. Heat this mixture on medium heat until the oil smokes a bit and the chiles begin to turn black. Take off the heat and let sit for up to a day or two. Strain the oil into a container that will keep out light (it'll last longer that way before it goes rancid) and seal tightly. You can throw in a few of the chiles for appearance if you want.

I do this all the time but I normally use Thai or "Japonaise" peppers (available at Asian and some regular markets)--pequins should work just as well, though.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Chili Pequin - Tue, 09/25/07 9:13 AM
quote:
To do that, start with good peanut oil (if it doesn't smell like peanuts, it won't have much flavor either)--an Asian brand like Lion & Globe :

I use it or canola because they are neutral and don't add flavor to the peppers.

joe

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Chili Pequin - Tue, 09/25/07 7:52 PM
Thank you BT.
I have seen some similar (or maybe the very same thing) that were varigated.. from green, yellow, red, purple, etc. My mom called it Christmas pepper. As I recall they are hotter than hades.

BT
RE: Chili Pequin - Wed, 09/26/07 2:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Texianjoe

quote:

I use it or canola because they are neutral and don't add flavor to the peppers.

joe

Chinese generally want the peanutty flavor. Use a neutral oil, of course, if you don't. But American peanut oils usually don't have much flavor either.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Chili Pequin - Wed, 11/21/07 8:44 PM
Well, on pequin chiles, I have a buddy with a very green thumb who grew those, and habaneros, both very hot. The story on pequins is that folks in the southwest, cowboys, etc, would carry them around in their pants pockets and nibble on them all day. I don't know about the bottling thing, but I am completely confused about the question of oil, unless you are talking about making an INFUSED OIL, which is very popular today. You can't be suggesting a SALSA with oil in it, unless you have some really creative recipe in mind. Here's the thing: Making a salsa with pequins is probably more trouble than it's worth. I know most readers are far away from Los Angeles, but I have a latino store here near downtown with an almost incredible variety of hot sauces, all WAY, WAY cheaper than you would think. Huge bottles of hot sauce for about a dollar. Little bottles of habanero sauce for maybe $1.50, you just have to know where to shop.
But, if you are thinking of an infused oil, I'd say go for it. Just dump a bunch of pequins in the olive oil, and give it a few days. Maybe chop them or something, then use one of those pouring things they use on liquor bottles to keep the bugs out, as a strainer.
Speaking of liquor, how about this idea? Forget about the oil, and toss the little bastards into a bottle of vodka? Then start working on drink recipes. I think you could do a pretty nice spicy margarita with that.
-Scott Lindgren
scottlindgren@netzero.com