Oyster po' boy, Danny & Clydes, New Orleans area
Velveeta cheeseburger, Big Star, Kenosha, WI
BLT with my home grown tomatoes, my house, Chicago
russ2304
Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/09/15 11:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

OK, youse guys, I give up. Arby's and Roy Rogers are off the list.
I have an excuse though, I haven't been inside either in years. They
used to be good, so I stand corrected--I will even go stand in the
corner with a dunce cap on.

But I must say y'all have reminded me of 3 of my all time favorites.
The old memory ain't what it used to be, if it ever was in the first place.

After eliminating the two roast beef joints I will add these from your lists---

--A great big delicious Sausage and Pepper from the Italian Hero Shop---absolutely a must

--The cold meatloaf from my refrigerator) (or yours)with ketchup-- how could I forget that ??

--and The Sat after Thanksgiving turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce
---fantastic while watching college football with the fireplace blazing away.
Life is good sometimes.

Sam-itches (as my mother-in-law, who was from Brooklyn, would say) are great
comfort food-----and Long Live Comfort !!!!!! Ole !!!!

Hey Mariner---Thank God you came to you senses about both Arby's and Roy Roger's rest of your list is 'squisito and can grace my table anytime. FYI Arby's --when it first started as a stand alone O/O was fantastic they used to actually carve the RB from an oven roasted buffet style steam ship round. Fantastico in Bordentown,Ohio----then as they say the rest was history and downhill form there!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/09/15 12:13:43
TSORES-----anything with Velvetta is verbotten as far as I am concerned.
forever (well since boyhood, a long time ago) I have hated it.

RUSS------I saw the error of my ways when I remembered that I had not been
inside either of those places in bow-koo years plus a few.
Kaczmark
Hamburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/09/15 12:37:40
#1 Pastrami on Rye at Stage Deli NYC
#2 Mushroom Cheese Steak sandwich at Dalessandro's Roxborough Phila PA
#3 Fish Taco at Bar (can't remember name" right off Pier in Manhatten Beach CA
#4 Primanti Borothers sandwich (corned beef) Pittsburgh PA
#5 My BLT--Stroemann's White Bread toasted, Hellmanns REAL mayo, sliced tomato and lettuce and Hatfield bacon
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/09/15 13:01:26
Schwabl's Beef on Weck ...Buffalo Ny

Fish Taco Rubio's ....San Diego

Original Tubby's ...Detroit

Jalapeno Cheese Bread Grilled Cheese.....Dudley's Bakery Jullian Ca

Peanut Butter, Jelly and Butter on Salt Rye....In My Kitchen

...Russ

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/09/15 20:05:53
My creation.....seared duck breast (med. rare)in balsamic vinegar, chopped walnuts, sliced cooked beets (al dente), crumbled bleu cheese, between two slices of crusty, country bread.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 04:55:21
  A very interesting subject! Here's my top 5.....
       1. italian beef / sausage combo at Mr. Beef in Chicago ( gotta have it dipped with hot giardiniera )    2. corned beef at Manny's in Chicago ( on rye with yellow mustard )    3. italian beef at Al's ( but where else - Chicago )    4. pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch in Mount Airy NC ( with everything except tomato... and Gomer sez hey! )    5. cheesesteak with onions and provolone at Pat's in Philly. Oh, I mustn't forget no. five-and-a-half: a loose-meat sandwich from Maid-Rite, almost anywhere in Iowa. Haven't had a beef-on-weck from Buffalo yet, but hopefully soon.....             Bob
Fieldthistle
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 05:14:35
Hello All,
My list would be different in the past and may be different in the
future, but for now...
1. Ham and Turkey Sub at Sergio's in Bridgewater, Va.
2. Cloth Bologna w/american cheese(mayo and mustard) at Clover-Hill Market
in Clover Hill, Va.
3. Pork tenderloin sandwich at Dry River Store in Lily, Va.
4. B.L.T. at Jess's Lunch in Harrisonburg, Va.
5. Pork Bar-B-que at  Bar-B-Q Ranch in Harrisonburg, Va.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 16:52:10
Bro Thistle --- do you live in Virginia by any chance. Since I drive thru your lovely state every once in a while I shall keep your list close to my heart (or stomach) and check out one or two. 

Fieldthistle
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 18:13:24
Hello All,
Ancient Mariner, yes I live in Hinton, Va., located in the
Shenandoah Valley.  It's a beautiful place to live, and eat.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 18:49:21
Brother Thistle --- in1990 we stayed at the Homestead for a few days and drove up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and looked down on your beautiful valley.  We stayed at a State run Motel up on the highway and enjoyed every minute.  I vowed to come back and visit but things changed as things are wont to do. 

I lived in Asheville NC on the Highway,just a little south of you, in 2004 and remembered Va fondly--------and now I have a reason to return and sample all those great sandwiches.  Thanks Mon Amie. 
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 18:49:21
Brother Thistle --- in1990 we stayed at the Homestead for a few days and drove up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and looked down on your beautiful valley.  We stayed at a State run Motel up on the highway and enjoyed every minute.  I vowed to come back and visit but things changed as things are wont to do. 

I lived in Asheville NC on the Highway,just a little south of you, in 2004 and remembered Va fondly--------and now I have a reason to return and sample all those great sandwiches.  Thanks Mon Amie. 
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/04 22:05:57
Fun re-visiting this thread. Heck I'd change my mind every 5 minutes but I'd always include a Sheboygan charcoal grilled double brat! That town elevates pork chop sandwiches to another level too. Whitehouse subs are close to the top of the food chain. From the south I'd include a BBQ bologna sandwich w/slaw and a biscuit with some country ham and hot sauce-eggs and cheese optional. A good Bahn Mi, a lobster clubhouse (LBLT), a good Jewish pastrami like Milwaukee's Jake's (or a Montreal Bens smoked meat on rye), a NOLA muff or softshell po' boy, a good hot brown, ditto for a horseshoe, breaded pork tenderloin,  an open air grilled shrimp sandwich off the beaten track along Mexico's Pacific coast, I had a simple ham, egg and cheese croissant in Montreal that's never been equaled, a S.F. sourdough club, a good Mexican torta, a Jamaican grilled tin cheese and tomato sandwich, a raw beef and onion sandwich on rye, a rare roast beef on a rye roll and if a muff is a sandwich, then I'll include giant burritos too. When my folks had their tavern, my mom was known for her garlic rib-eye on toast with grilled onions and along with those brats, all others fall in behind. Good thing we aren't including hamburgers or BBQ!
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/05 08:16:49
Fieldthistle

Hello All,
My list would be different in the past and may be different in the
future, but for now...
1. Ham and Turkey Sub at Sergio's in Bridgewater, Va.
2. Cloth Bologna w/american cheese(mayo and mustard) at Clover-Hill Market
in Clover Hill, Va.
3. Pork tenderloin sandwich at Dry River Store in Lily, Va.
4. B.L.T. at Jess's Lunch in Harrisonburg, Va.
5. Pork Bar-B-que at  Bar-B-Q Ranch in Harrisonburg, Va.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle,

there's truly something great about a simple sandwich like cloth bologna and am. cheese when it's from a country store. I've never had the tenderloin from Dry River store - is it only served at breakfast? I'll certainly have to stop there when I'm down your way to fish on Beaver Creek, or getting chicken at Clover Hill park - my favorite in the valley, with Dayton American Legion being second.

Here's a nice photo which will recall memories :
http://www.ottobine.com/ottostor.html

kboston
Junior Burger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/05 09:05:43
If you add primanti bros pastrami & egg you have a good list.
Fieldthistle
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/01/06 05:22:16
Hello All,
Doug, that photo was great.  The store looked like that until it got
a face lift sometime in 1980's I believe.  The store is still running.
My grandfather has a similar general store a few miles away in Briery Branch.
I am glad you mentioned the pork tenderloin.  They only serve it on Thursdays
and it goes fast.  I have been lucky to get the last one at 5pm.  Other than
the pork tenderloin, the Dry River store offers home-cooked plate lunches.
But I really prefer the Clover Hill Market.
Doug, Ancient Mariner, anytime you are going to be in the area, let me know
and if schedules allow, we share a sandwich together.
Oh, Turner Hams in Fulks Run, Va. makes a mean country ham sandwich as well.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Inthewater
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/06/02 11:39:05
Sheesh...gonna do a little "thread necrophelia" on this one.  The Dad's Killer Sub from the B&B Grocery in Des Moines, Ia needs a mention.  ;) http://www.bbgrocerymeatdeli.com/

Also, the 4th St Italian Beef Sandwich from downtown Des Moines has a cult following.  They serve italian beef sandwiches and sausage sandwiches.  That is all.

If you are ever around, give them a try.  Just be careful at the B&B...the deli is awesome there.  You may want to go back.

:)
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/06/03 08:26:39
I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention Banh Mi, or Primanti's, or Montreal Smoked Meat, or Falafel, or a gyro, or  a meatball sub.  I don't know that anyone named a  Cuban, or the original Chik-Fil-A,  or a southern breakfast biscuit with good country ham.  Then there was the fried oyster po-boy my wifr had in Oregon one spring.

And I'm glad several mentioned hot open faced sandwiches with gravy and mashed potaoes.  I really enjoyed the pork and beef varieties when I was a kid. 

So far as subs with any filling including meatballs and cheesteaks are concerned there was a guy in Atlanta, "Tugi," years ago who absolutely had them nailed.  He might have been from NJ and was married to a Georgia girl.  He had a tie in with Joe Torre for a while, when the latter was managing the Braves. 

Picking five sandwiches as the "best" is more the exorcize of a gaunt undernourished TV person than of someone serious about food.  Probably that individual has been struck dead by now for advocating a Californing lobster roll!
Tommy B
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/06/03 10:44:51

My late grandmother's  B.L.T. on a hot summer day.    Fresh toasted bread,  smoky bacon fried in a cast iron skillet...garden tomatoes,   lettuce that's been washed and crisped in the fridge, and a solid schmear of Hellman's.     And of course,  my grandma's listening ear to all my troubles.

I miss her tremendously.

I dedicated a story of why I got into cheesesteaks to my grandmother Amelia.

my story

www.tommybsphillycheese.com/about_us

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/06/03 11:49:55
Born in OKC

I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention ...Montreal Smoked Meat...

Ummmm...it could be that Montreal is not IN the USA - thereby missing out on the definition of one of the "Five best sandwiches in the USA"?
russ2304
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2009/06/03 12:11:32
I BE STUMPED---WHAT IS CLOTH BOLOGNA---ALL TOGETHER NOW-----------------RUSS
tdj_tx
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/07/10 18:22:14
Born in OKC

I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention Banh Mi, or Primanti's, or Montreal Smoked Meat, or Falafel, or a gyro, or  a meatball sub.  I don't know that anyone named a  Cuban, or the original Chik-Fil-A,  or a southern breakfast biscuit with good country ham.  Then there was the fried oyster po-boy my wifr had in Oregon one spring.

And I'm glad several mentioned hot open faced sandwiches with gravy and mashed potaoes.  I really enjoyed the pork and beef varieties when I was a kid. 

So far as subs with any filling including meatballs and cheesteaks are concerned there was a guy in Atlanta, "Tugi," years ago who absolutely had them nailed.  He might have been from NJ and was married to a Georgia girl.  He had a tie in with Joe Torre for a while, when the latter was managing the Braves. 

Picking five sandwiches as the "best" is more the exorcize of a gaunt undernourished TV person than of someone serious about food.  Probably that individual has been struck dead by now for advocating a Californing lobster roll!

Speaking of country ham, one of my all time favorites is a plain country ham sandwich from Keene's Depot in Bardstown KY. Nothing more than a slice of the best country ham between two slices of white bread. At $1 a piece I used to eat these like WhiteCastle hamburgers.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/07/11 09:06:03
I just read through the whole thread again.  It's amazing how many folks missed the point that the original list was of specific sandwiches available for purchase at specific businesses in the USA.

My golden standard for regional sandwiches is Roadfood Sandwiches* by Jane & Michael Stern.  I also like Sandwiches That You Will Like by Becky Mercuri.

* Nothing is perfect:  It's a mystery to me why they recommend a muffaletta from Cambridge, MA!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/07/11 14:48:20
Miami---

The guys at MIT voted big for the Muff Sam-itch

And The Lobster Roll from Cali--is imported from the East
don't you know. 

The Miami Cuban from Minny-ap-olis just missed the list.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/17 12:16:53
1. Any of the stacked meat sandwiches from The Galley Subs in Kalamazoo, Michigan (now closed) Short History of The Galley

2. New York Reuben at University Roadhouse in Kalamazoo, Michigan

3. Prime Rib Sandwich at Old Burdick's in Kalamazoo, Michigan (now they changed it into a Prime Rib Wrap instead)

4. Chicken Sub or "The Colossal" sub at Roma's Pizza in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

5. The Italian Grinder Sub at Samuel Mancino's Italian Eatery in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/17 16:26:20
TWINWILLOW---I will meet you for lunch any time!!!---could go for that liverwurst right now!

quote=Twinwillow]

The best 5 sandwiches I can recall are.........

Number 1. Shrimp salad on rye from Brook's luncheonette on the ground floor of the Empire State Building. Fifth Ave. side at 33rd street. Not sure if it's still there. Anyone know?
Number 2. Pastrami on rye from Katz's deli.
Number 3. Yes, the Muffuletta from Central Grocery, New Orleans.
Number 4. My late mom's BLT.
Number 5. A good grilled cheese with tomato from any diner East of the Mississippi.
And, if I may take a liberty.........
Number 5-1/2. Liverwurst and American cheese with German mustard on a "hard roll" with a sour pickle from Schaller & Webber on East 86th. Street in NYC.
Don't forget the Yoo Hoo to wash it down.

sailawayklm
Junior Burger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/17 17:15:03
Gyros at the Damascus Grill - Denver
Just about anything at the Sausage Deli - Tucson
Italian Roast Beef at the White Hen Pantry - Crown Point Indiana....no longer there...but I still dream about them!
Beef Brisket sandwich at the Miracle Mile Deli - Phoenix
Original Philly(whiz) at Philly's Cheesesteak Grill - Denver

gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/18 18:08:10
Primanti Bros pastrami, onion, and egg
Schwabl's beef on weck
Tony Luke's roast pork with broccoli rabe
Campo's italian hoagie
Fathead's slopes headwich
harriet1954
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/20 19:19:29
Brisket sandwich – Kibitz Room, Cherry Hill, NJ
Cheesesteak – Gaetano's, any location in South Jersey
Egg, cheese & pork roll – any diner in Jersey
Grilled cheese – my kitchen
Roast Pork – DiNic’s, Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia
ChrisOC
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/21 07:17:50
How about a sub from the White House in AC?

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/21 10:31:50

Chris OC you have made and ruined my day with one shot.

Made my day----That is some good looking SUB------

Ruined it-----I forgot to go to White House when last I visited Atlantic City. down on the Old New Jersey Shore.   Something tells me I am getting old.

There ain't nothin' like that in St Pete----as far as I know.  Man, does that make Subway look pathetic.

strongy78
Hamburger
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/21 13:42:02
My favorite sandwich in the whole world!  White House special!  Great photo!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA 2010/08/21 15:11:54
I will invest in White House South-----find a nice spot in the middle of Tampa---Clearwater----and St Petersburg------make subs like that and hold back the crowds--------we may be old, but we ain't dumb (yet).  

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3