Steak and Kidney Pie - Pic and Recipe Included

Junior Burger
2007/09/18 20:43:52
I have always been fascinated by English Food and figured I would make an attempt to try some of the more well known English dishes. When I saw Beef Kidneys at the grocery store the other day I knew exactly what I could do with them. I looked up a simple recipe for Steak and Kidney Pie and gave it a shot last night. When I bought the Pie Tin I didn't remember the proper size I needed so I just bought a large one. It turned out to be twice as large as I needed so instead of stretching the crust across the top I just spread it on top of the stew. It worked out well. Unfortunately no one else in the household was really interested in trying this and I guess that is understandable. One thing I learned is that the smell of raw Kidney makes my top 3 list of worst smells. I won't attempt this again myself mainly because of the raw kidney, but other than the kidney, the stew itself is very tasty.

http://www.allbritishfood.com/Steak%20And%20Kidney%20Pie.php

matilda
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Steak and Kidney Pie - Pic and Recipe Included 2007/09/18 20:52:02
What about a nice, Yorkshire pudding, LOL!
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Steak and Kidney Pie - Pic and Recipe Included 2007/09/18 21:01:24
lookd delightful, but I have a hard time with the kidneys, and the smell, as you describe. It appears your have a very well-seasoned gravy and the pastry has to be just the right accompionment. I second the idea of the Yorkshire pudding!! Perfect with the pan drippings.
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Steak and Kidney Pie - Pic and Recipe Included 2007/09/18 21:04:30
I have had steak and kidney pie made by a visitor from England. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The funny part is that she had never made it before. They alway had it as take out.

When I was growing up, the local butcher at the locker plant would give us the kidneys they got from slaughtering cattle (maybe pigs too). No one wanted them. We would cut them up into about 3/4 " cubes and feed them to the cat. I don't remember any offensive smell.

Cakes

sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
RE: Steak and Kidney Pie - Pic and Recipe Included 2007/10/02 00:00:29
Rinse the kidneys well and try to have the vent fan going, that should help. There shouldnt be all that strong a smell with kidneys as long as they are fresh. The right sauce helps since kidneys have a strong flavor.