Conveyor Oven Pizza?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/15 23:46:16 (permalink)
pica's has a conveyor oven and theirs is THE best pizza/tomato pie i've ever had! 
http://www.picas-restaurant.com/
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 04:32:48 (permalink)
joclyn

pica's has a conveyor oven and theirs is THE best pizza/tomato pie i've ever had.  http://www.picas-restaurant.com/

and I know someone who thinks Mickey D's makes a real hamburger....maybe....but i don't think so......the mechanics just isn't the same....instant coffee doesn't taste like regular coffee....etc...etc...but what do I know....I could be wrong???????
marteenhook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 04:44:36 (permalink)
Yes dear you are right, You can use Conveyor Oven to make pizza. Because Conveyor Oven makes the pizza perfect.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4330
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 10:08:08 (permalink)
marteenhook

Yes dear you are right, You can use Conveyor Oven to make pizza. Because Conveyor Oven makes the pizza perfect.

Good!  Each to their own taste.

My point above is that even those who do not like "conveyor pizza" have, nevertheless, benefitted from that innovation since the industries & competition it has fostered has made "artisan, Neopolitan-style" widely available rather than being the exclusive little secret of only select cognoscenti in the NE pizza corridor.

As a result, even the unwashed in the Metroplex now have vastly improved dining opportunities at all the "little bits of New Haven" that now dot the former pizza desert.  One of these, in Phoenix of all places http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/ , now seems to make every "top ten" pizza list.  Maybe some in New Haven resent this.  Too bad; now you have to "share". 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/16 10:13:12
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 14:05:12 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

porkbeaks

Have any of you (knowingly) ever had some? Was it any good? Is there any great pizza being produced in a conveyor oven anywhere that you know of?

Anyone that has ever ordered from Domino's has had a conveyor oven pizza!

Only knowingly have had a conveyer pizza once.  The dough was terrible.   

May also answer why I've never cared for Domino's either.

For me, it's become a brick oven or why bother.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 15:02:20 (permalink)
mjambro

MetroplexJim

porkbeaks

Have any of you (knowingly) ever had some? Was it any good? Is there any great pizza being produced in a conveyor oven anywhere that you know of?

Anyone that has ever ordered from Domino's has had a conveyor oven pizza!

For me, it's become a brick oven or why bother.

Same for me except for the occasional, all-too-convenient and cheap, Costco or Sam's Club slice.

Now this thread has me 'noticing'.

During one of the NFL games I saw a Pizza Hut ad and noticed that the actors were in front of a conveyor oven!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5238
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 15:11:23 (permalink)
Using a Caterpillar track-type tractor as a model, I wonder how difficult it would be to build a conveyor oven where the belt (or whatever it is) is replaced by a series of individual pizza stones attached to a carrier that moves in the same pattern (picture the Cat tracks in operation).  The first problems that come to mind are weight and cost, but otherwise...
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 16:29:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Using a Caterpillar track-type tractor as a model, I wonder how difficult it would be to build a conveyor oven where the belt (or whatever it is) is replaced by a series of individual pizza stones attached to a carrier that moves in the same pattern (picture the Cat tracks in operation).  The first problems that come to mind are weight and cost, but otherwise...

I think the issue there may be duplicating and maintaining the 600+ degree heat both in the stone and the overhead elements of the conveyer chute.  And then there would be the problem of insulating such a machine so that it could be approached by a human.

In any case, a good pizzaola can manage and peel a number of pies simultaneously.  And in a brick oven, each pizza only takes a few miniutes, maybe - with a skilled peeler - even "outrunning" a conveyor!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/16 16:47:28 (permalink)
That is what I was thinking too...

How do you maintain a pizza oven temp on your stone.

Unless you have a preheat section before you insert your pizza into the conveyor belt contraption.

but Jim again hits the nail on the head

a good peeler will run circles around ANY conveyor belt system and produce better quality pie.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/17 20:35:36 (permalink)
marteenhook

HUH???????......NOT TRUE!!!!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/17 21:20:21 (permalink)
leethebard

marteenhook

HUH???????......NOT TRUE!!!!!!

Conventional brick pizza oven  Conveyer belt pizza oven 
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2119
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 01:47:32 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Why  .... the purpose of the stones is to apply high heat directly to the bread crust and to help maintain the 'oven' temp (reduce the temp drop) when the oven door is opened & closed.    

In a conveyor oven, the pizza pie pass directly between the top & bottom heat elements (electric or gas).   The uses of a stone attached to the conveyor would only act as an insulator and would break apart due to the constant heating & cooling of the stone.    ... The blue flame of the LP or natural gas burner is about 1980 deg F +/-;  the heat zone between the top & bottom burners should easily be 1000 deg F plus, much hotter than brick ovens.   ... In terms of cost of fuel, the conveyor oven is much more expensive to operate, but it is much less expensive to buy and install into a kitchen than building a brick oven.

Heat is heat ... so with quality product, there should be no noticeable difference between pies from the brick oven or conveyor oven.

Every Pizza Hut that I've seen for the past 30 year used a conveyor oven.  
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 06:58:30 (permalink)
"Heat is heat ... so with quality product, there should be no noticeable difference between pies from the brick oven or conveyor oven.  Every Pizza Hut that I've seen for the past 30 year used a conveyor oven."

and just how does this help the argument for the use of a conveyor oven?

Evidently "heat is not heat" and/or PH doesn't have enough heat.  Although in this case, quality of the dough could be also be a contributing factor. 

My guess is the popularity of conveyor systems is that a consistent product can be produced using minimal labor skills - typical of all chains where consistency is more important than quality.
post edited by mjambro - 2013/09/18 07:11:59
edwmax
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 08:06:56 (permalink)
mjambro

"Heat is heat ... so with quality product, there should be no noticeable difference between pies from the brick oven or conveyor oven.  Every Pizza Hut that I've seen for the past 30 year used a conveyor oven."

and just how does this help the argument for the use of a conveyor oven?

Evidently "heat is not heat" and/or PH doesn't have enough heat.  Although in this case, quality of the dough could be also be a contributing factor. 

My guess is the popularity of conveyor systems is that a consistent product can be produced using minimal labor skills - typical of all chains where consistency is more important than quality.

By showing with a properly regulated conveyor oven the cooking temperature is hotter than most brick ovens.   And in my opinion, why stones added to the conveyor would not be a help or be necessary.

I do agree the use of the conveyor oven allows less skilled labor to constantly make pizzas using the 1.2.3  method/steps pinned on the wall to assembly a pizza per store standard and to control waste.

Excellent pizza can be make in the home oven, grill, or nuwave at lower 400 deg F temperatures   ... just the technique is different.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8700
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 08:58:42 (permalink)
I work at Target, and we have the Pizza Hut program in our café( lol!) It is a conveyor oven-we sell only personal pan pizzas, breadsticks and pasta. 7 minutes thru at 450 degrees. The bottom of the oven is NOT heated-only the top.Their( horrible) secret to cook the crust is lots of oil when prepping the dough. I just make them, folks. We always get Pizza from a good old Mom and Pop Italian restaurant-cant stand chains.

. .
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 08:59:32 (permalink)
Oops-must have burped again, as CTD suggested in a different post!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 09:11:01 (permalink)
ann peeples

I work at Target, and we have the Pizza Hut program in our café( lol!) It is a conveyor oven-we sell only personal pan pizzas, breadsticks and pasta. 7 minutes thru at 450 degrees. The bottom of the oven is NOT heated-only the top.Their( horrible) secret to cook the crust is lots of oil when prepping the dough. I just make them, folks. We always get Pizza from a good old Mom and Pop Italian restaurant - cant stand chains. 

Ann, what kind of oven does your local mom & pop use? 

mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 09:31:18 (permalink)
I'm now beginning to understand why I've rarely had a decent chain pizza (exceptions being regionally based Regina and Flatbread Company, both of which use brick ovens).   Never realized how widespread the conveyors are used.  Confirmed elsewhere that most all US chains do use conveyor systems.   

Evidently that's the common factor that makes most chain pizza mediocre at best - essentially "McPizza" as I read elsewhere.  
post edited by mjambro - 2013/09/18 09:35:46
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 09:43:04 (permalink)
marteenhook

I believe the word is "consistent".
edwmax
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/18 13:21:12 (permalink)
ann peeples

I work at Target, and we have the Pizza Hut program in our café( lol!) It is a conveyor oven-we sell only personal pan pizzas, breadsticks and pasta. 7 minutes thru at 450 degrees. The bottom of the oven is NOT heated-only the top.Their( horrible) secret to cook the crust is lots of oil when prepping the dough. I just make them, folks. We always get Pizza from a good old Mom and Pop Italian restaurant-cant stand chains.

. .

cheap oven ??  ... Top heat only, this oven is for toasting (sandwiches ??) & reheating (frozen pizza ??)    ... Fresh dough pizza needs direct heat to cook if the pie is made with the cheese, meat & vegs.       ....Try precooking the crust, then build the pizza and toast/cook the cheese & vegs.

For fresh dough pizza in my option, the conveyor oven needs top and bottom heat or a bottom element with reflective top.   The bottom crust needs higher heat zone than the top cheese & vegs to cook.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/19 07:39:47 (permalink)
It has only a top element-has to be preheated for 30 minutes so the metal conveyor gets hot. And the oven is not cheap.....
Jim-not conveyors! I have seen high heat pizza ovens in the places we frequent.
edwmax
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/19 08:39:44 (permalink)
hahaha   ... Probably not cheap if compared to a Walmart counter-top ovens.     .... But commercial counter-top pizza conveyor ovens are in the range of $8 K to $10 K.   Some as high as $30K plus.
The dual element Star 318HX, 18 wide is about $4500 and this is 50% off at http://www.acitydiscount....-Ovens.1.57079.2.1.htm
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/19 19:33:06 (permalink)
My apologies, Ed-there is a bottom element of heat at the beginning of the process. It takes care of the crust at the half way point-and then cooks the rest of the pizza. As I don't work nights-I have never cleaned this machine. I stand corrected.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1864
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/19 20:11:32 (permalink)
I've had some really nice pizzas roll off a conveyer belt oven, as well as out of old school wood fired brick ovens, as well as coal fired ovens.  At the end of the day, you're applying heat to product.  Heat.  Product.  I have an emotional attachment to wood fired ovens because of a (very) slight smokiness that comes through, as well as I think the additional heat from underneath affects the bottom of the crust to a positive effect, but the number of pizzarias that take full advantage of this is far and few between.  Ultimately for the overwhelming number of pizza joints it's applying heat to product.  Who figures this out,  who manipulates this the best, who puts in the practice practice practice, this is the dividing line that has nothing to do with the heat source.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/19 20:36:44 (permalink)
I've got to say, I was never a fan of the conveyor oven until I discovered that the very best NYC style pizza in Cincinnati (in my opinion) was baked in a conveyor oven.

It shocked me to my core, honestly

That pizza is sadly no longer available, but I do wonder if that pizza might even have been better in classic deck-style oven.  I'll never know.  I miss it terribly.
edwmax
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/20 01:17:32 (permalink)
ann peeples

My apologies, Ed-there is a bottom element of heat at the beginning of the process. It takes care of the crust at the half way point-and then cooks the rest of the pizza. As I don't work nights-I have never cleaned this machine. I stand corrected.

thanks,  but my 'cheap' comment wasn't really fair since I didn't know the band name of oven you were using.    I just considered a 'top heat' only as being more of a general purpose oven and best suited for cooking pizza.....

Anyway, I recently had a good crisp & flaky crusted pizza (delivery) which I know was from a conveyor oven.   
post edited by edwmax - 2013/09/20 01:19:01
edwmax
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/20 01:33:17 (permalink)
WarToad

I've had some really nice pizzas roll off a conveyer belt oven, as well as out of old school wood fired brick ovens, as well as coal fired ovens.  At the end of the day, you're applying heat to product.  Heat.  Product.  I have an emotional attachment to wood fired ovens because of a (very) slight smokiness that comes through, as well as I think the additional heat from underneath affects the bottom of the crust to a positive effect, but the number of pizzarias that take full advantage of this is far and few between.  Ultimately for the overwhelming number of pizza joints it's applying heat to product.  Who figures this out,  who manipulates this the best, who puts in the practice practice practice, this is the dividing line that has nothing to do with the heat source.

Now we're talking about advantage of one method oven another cooking method.   ... A smoky 'wood fired' oven pizza has to be fantastic, but I've never had one.  I don't know a pizzeria  my my area with this type oven.    ... I'll have to try to make my own on a hot smoky grill with a stone.    ...
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Conveyor Oven Pizza? 2013/09/22 23:13:59 (permalink)
leethebard

joclyn

pica's has a conveyor oven and theirs is THE best pizza/tomato pie i've ever had.  http://www.picas-restaurant.com/

and I know someone who thinks Mickey D's makes a real hamburger....maybe....but i don't think so......the mechanics just isn't the same....instant coffee doesn't taste like regular coffee....etc...etc...but what do I know....I could be wrong???????

you're close enough to take a drive and go there and try it. 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1