Fish Reuben

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
  • Reward points : 0
Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 11:59 AM
Has anyone had or heard of this sandwich before?

It was on the menu at Shrimpers in Stuart FL and my Wife and Nephew each ordered it. A crispy fried filet with slaw, cheese and russian dressing, grilled on rye bread. At first we thought it sounded wierd, then I said it's not too far from a fish taco. It turned out to be really, really good.

I wonder if it's turning up on other menus.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 12:18 PM
Slaw not saur kraut? That's cheating but it doesn't sound that far fetched. Sounds like a good sammich.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9776
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 2:08 PM
I have never seen that on a menu before, but it sure does sound interesting. If I see it, I will definitely order it.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 9:05 PM
You figure it is pretty common for fish and chips to come with cole slaw, so I can this working. Now, if it had been served with kraut....I can't imagine too many people ordering that, and I like kraut.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 9:38 PM
I'm sorry, but the very thought of something called a fish Reuben causes me to feel a bit ill.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3662
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 9:42 PM
Try one..................you will love it....but skip the cheese.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 10/3/07 9:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

No thanks. If I have to eat a Reuben I'll stick to a Reuben, not some Filet-O-Fish clone.

Big Kahuna Kooks
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:03 AM
The islamorada fish company , part of Bass Pro in FTL also has an excellent grouper rueben. I've had it twice and look forward to the next one. Truly broke da mouth!

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:15 AM
Personally I dont think cheese and fish go together. Slaw and fish...sure. I think without the cheese it would be excellent...Russ

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:22 AM
I'd eat it, but why call it a Reuben? It's not a Reuben. Kinda like Cincinnati chili......except I wouldn't eat that. pb

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I'm sorry, but the very thought of something called a fish Reuben causes me to feel a bit ill.

GROUPER REUBEN

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

I'd eat it, but why call it a Reuben? It's not a Reuben. Kinda like Cincinnati chili......except I wouldn't eat that. pb

Have you ever tried Cincy Chili pb?....Russ

mikez629
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:36 AM
Grouper ruben/buffalo grouper sandwich-they put grouper on anything in Florida

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:37 AM
quote:

Because most people know what Reuben is. Therefore, a person should know what to expect when someone has a Fish Reuben on the menu.

Scorereader
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 11:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

No thanks. If I have to eat a Reuben I'll stick to a Reuben, not some Filet-O-Fish clone.

you don't "have" to eat a Reuben either, if you don't want to.

porkbeaks
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 12:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

quote:

Have you ever tried Cincy Chili pb?....Russ

Yeah, I've tried it and I just can't get past the spices used. Not sure if it's the cinnamon, allspice, cloves, the combination, or whatever. Maybe it's the chocolate. The idea of the 5-way, if it was made with "normal" chili, is actually quite appealing. Another example is when folks make Swedish meatballs and use cardamom. I like cardamom, but it just seems out of place in the meatballs. pb

Robearjr
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 8:17 PM
I think alot of people think a Reuben can be with kraut or slaw. You see more and more menus that either off a choice of slaw or kraut on their Rueben...or they don't even offer kraut.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 9:03 PM
Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, I've noticed that a lot of places are serving these as an open-faced affair, i.e., with one slice of grilled rye topped with a pile of meat, kraut and the whole thing covered in melted swiss. I much prefer a "traditional" Reuben, that is, served as a grilled sandwich rather than an open-faced one that must be eaten with knife and fork. What do you like?

porkbeaks
RE: Fish Reuben - Wed, 01/30/08 10:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

Speaking of Reuben sandwiches, I've noticed that a lot of places are serving these as an open-faced affair, i.e., with one slice of grilled rye topped with a pile of meat, kraut and the whole thing covered in melted swiss. I much prefer a "traditional" Reuben, that is, served as a grilled sandwich rather than an open-faced one that must be eaten with knife and fork. What do you like?

I agree 100%. Here is the recipe and guidelines that I use to make mine. I've never had any complaints.

REUBEN SANDWICH
Modern-day Reuben sandwiches are often open-faced and broiled, which dries out the corned beef and makes the cheese rubbery. Or, under the misguided belief that more is better, they are overstuffed. The main things to remember for a great Reuben are to keep the filling under control and in balance, so when you bite into it you get a harmonious and succulent mouthful; and to grill the sandwich slowly and under some pressure, so the bread gets toasty brown and buttery crisp, the meat gets warmed through, and the cheese is just melted enough to be oozy.
2 slices rye bread or pumpernickel
2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons Reuben's Russian Dressing (recipe below)
1/4 cup well-drained, fresh-style sauerkraut
2 ounces thinly sliced Gruyère or Switzerland Swiss cheese
1/4 pound thinly sliced corned beef

Butter each slice of bread evenly to the edges on one side.
Place one slice, buttered side down, in a small cold skillet: Build the sandwich in the skillet you'll grill it in.

Spread 1 tablespoon of the Russian dressing on the face-up, dry side of the bread. Then put on the sauerkraut, spreading it evenly.

Arrange the cheese in an even layer over the sauerkraut, then do the same with the corned beef.

Spread another 1 tablespoon Russian dressing on the dry side of the second slice of bread and place it, dressing side down, buttered side up, over the corned beef.

Place the skillet over medium-low heat and grill the sandwich slowly, pressing down on it a few times with a wide metal spatula. Grill until the bread is browned and crisped, then turn the sandwich over with the help of the spatula.

Now weight the sandwich down by placing a plate (or another small skillet) over the sandwich, then adding on a weight, such as a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Grill until the second side has browned and crisped, then flip the sandwich over one more time to briefly reheat the other side.

Serve immediately.

Makes 1.
Arthur Schwartz's New York City Food
By Arthur Schwartz

Overall: Pretty detailed, right? It took me longer to type those instructions than it did to make the sandwich. But that's typical of Schwartz's hand-holding in the book.

Rye or pumpernickel? Pumpernickel? Whoever heard of such a thing? Might as well use white bread.

Russian dressing: He uses Reuben's recipe, which combines 1/2 cup of mayo with a tablespoon of ketchup, a teaspoon of grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish, 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of parsley. Red caviar is optional but unnecessary.

Why Russian? According to Schwartz, Reuben's was the first Jewish deli to make a corned beef sandwich with Russian dressing and, even better and more New York, with deli coleslaw.

Sauerkraut: Try to get it from the deli counter. They should have it in midwinter, but if not, well-drained canned sauerkraut will do.

Procedure: Since I don't have a sandwich press, I make grilled cheese sandwiches in a skillet in just this way. But now that panini are so stylish, I bet more people have sandwich presses.

For one? Obviously, it's a cinch to double the recipe.

What to do with the leftover Russian dressing? Use it on an iceberg-lettuce wedge, as a sauce with fried fish, or to cover halved hard-cooked eggs, making Eggs à la Russe.

CamSkaterUNC
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 11:45 AM
I've never seen this on a menu at any restaurant in Colorado, but that doesn't mean it's not here. Sounds very interesting. I know I'd be inclined to order it if it ever did pop up. Unless it already has. Anyone know? :-)

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 12:23 PM

It all sounds good to me. I'ld eat one, especially if it is deep fried. MiamiDon's photo seemes to be broiled or sauteed. They laughed when fish tacos and burritos first came out, but I love them.
If they use 1000 island dressing on the sandwich, it is close enough to tartar sauce to work just fine.

I also like the idea of an open faced reuben as long as it is piled high and there is a slight browning of the Swiss cheese.

mark

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 12:41 PM
quote:

Personally I dont think cheese and fish go together. Slaw and fish...sure. I think without the cheese it would be excellent...Russ

I completely agree. I can't think of a single instance where I would put cheese on fish.

blue heaven
  • Total Posts : 486
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 12:56 PM
Hi I believe this version of a reuben started in key west. Possibly Louie's Backyard.

Scorereader
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 2:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I completely agree. I can't think of a single instance where I would put cheese on fish.

you've never sprinkle parmesan on fish?

When I was on Atkins, I used to make a coating for tilapia using mostly parmesan cheese. It was excellent.

RookieCAF
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 2:39 PM
I just had a Turkey Reuben. It was good.

Big Kahuna Kooks
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 5:42 PM
I have had the perfect rueben twice at a small deli in West Palm Beach. Ther bread was fresh and did not crumble after being nicely grilled. It had the right amount of 1000 island, was still juicy from the butter, not piled a mile high but definitely more than an adequate protion and great squish and ooze factor...

Robearjr
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 7:32 PM
quote:

quote:

What about a tuna melt?

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Fish Reuben - Thu, 01/31/08 10:13 PM
quote:

I think fish is generally too delicate to stand up to the taste of cheese. That being said, I suppose I've mixed some Parmaggiano Reggiano in with a bread crumb mixture in my stuffed calamari, so I guess there is an instance where I've used cheese with fish.

Scorereader
RE: Fish Reuben - Fri, 02/1/08 10:25 AM
quote:

quote:

I think fish is generally too delicate to stand up to the taste of cheese. That being said, I suppose I've mixed some Parmaggiano Reggiano in with a bread crumb mixture in my stuffed calamari, so I guess there is an instance where I've used cheese with fish.

I agree if you're talking about lake fish, like trout, perch, etc. But, I don't know if I'd consider Salmon, Swordfish etc as so "delicate" that it can't stand up to a nice biting cheese (like parm). I've made an appetiser whose main ingredients were smoked salmon, brie and roe, which was a big big hit.

I see the principle of it, that cheese doesn't seem to go with fish, but I think there's room for experimentation.

If wine can be paired with cheese, and wine can be paired with fish, then one would thing there must be a cheese out there that can work with a fish.

Clearly, though, slapping a slice of American cheese on a trout is not very appealing.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Fish Reuben - Fri, 02/1/08 1:01 PM
Doesn't a Filet-o'-Fish have a slice of cheese in it?

And isn't it a Southern tradition?

http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Southern-Cooking/BakedCheese-Fish.htm

Scorereader
RE: Fish Reuben - Fri, 02/1/08 2:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Doesn't a Filet-o'-Fish have a slice of cheese in it?

Well, sort of. There is a sandwich called Filet-o-Fish and advertised as coming with cheese. But I have my doubts that said sandwich's ingredients is either fish or cheese.

nocheeseplease
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Fish Reuben - Sun, 03/22/09 5:22 PM
Crunchy Grouper Buffalo Reuben even better at Charlie's Indian St./Willoughby Blvd. Stuart.
Place named Chantel's over near the Airport has it too. Always slaw, no kraut......swiss cheese, thousand island pressed warmly betwen two slices of lightly buttered, marble rye. An oral big-O for sure!!

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:Fish Reuben - Sun, 03/22/09 6:51 PM
I'll try it w/ or w/o tha cheese, and w/ slaw or kraut. All this sounds good to me! But... I'll eat just about anything... and like it! :~)
Joe

Edit; I only draw the line at other primates.
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Sun, 03/22/09 6:56 PM>

Beef&Fries
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: Fish Reuben - Sun, 03/22/09 10:45 PM
Crunchy Grouper Reuben is a big favorite on Sanibel Island, forget the name of the place, upstairs across from the post office,

It's a tradition for us to go there our first night in Sanibel every year, it's an outstanding sandwich, cole slaw instead of kraut, very tasty, getting hungry just thinking about it.

Of course it's no substitute for great reuben, the problem with ordering reuben's on the road is some just suck as places try to "improve" upon the classic so God knows what you end up with when you order one.