Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2008/07/23 14:27:28
Best Roadfood in the Orlando Area.

[img]

Todays special, 1/2 rack, pulled chicken, 2 sides(beans and onion rings/not pictures) and corn bread, $9.99 plus $1.00 extra for inion rings.

[img]

The ribs were excellent, the chicken was tender and moist, the beans are great with big chunks of pork, the onion rings were forgetable and the corn bread was alright.

I sampled all 4 sauces as usual and as usual picked the sweet. Amazing, I love hot peppers on my eggs for breakfast but I do not like heat in my BBQ sauce[/img][/img]
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/27 18:23:19
thank god the one here in royal palm beach florida finally closed and maybe someone with real Q will move in
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/27 23:44:18
You might want to give Park Ave BBQ a try. They're a small chain with 9 locations in South Fla. Probably Wellington is closest to you.
I've liked them the few times I've been.
http://pabbqgrille.com/locations.asp
phatphil

thank god the one here in royal palm beach florida finally closed and maybe someone with real Q will move in

tfrielin
Cheeseburger
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/28 11:09:44
Sadly, Sonny's has ruined my favorite menu item---their sliced barbeque beef.

They switched cuts of beef from eye rounds to brisket and the brisket is not nearly as good.

I realize I'm in the minority for liking the beef over the pork, but the pork is too fatty.

I know I'm that guy who says everything was better forty years ago, but I think this switch to brisket has ruined Sonny's for me. And I've been a fan for decades---the Market Square location in Tallahasse was my regular lunch place for years; never had a bad meal there. Our local here in Athens was inconsisent. But now with this switch to brisket, I may be over Sonny's.

Don't know why they switched cuts of beef. If it was to save money, it will cost them way more than they could hve saved in the long-term when people like me stop coming.

Why do franchises have this tendancy to commit suicide? Even the biggest of all, McDonald's, is no loger as good as it was in my youth when they made real french fries from real potatoes and fried them in that oil that had a beef tallow component to it--yum. Today the fries are frozen and taste like cardboard.

Sigh...
post edited by tfrielin - 2011/08/28 11:16:56
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/28 13:15:38
I've heard that some of the best BBQ joints in the USA that specialize in beef use the brisket.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/28 16:57:07
ya but they know how to cook it, the last two times i was at sonnys it was like bacon strip cuts of blubber and uneddible
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/29 08:03:02
phatphil 

... it was like bacon strip cuts of blubber and uneddible

That sounds so bad it's funny!

I've had food from Sonny's once or twice - the last time in 2008, but I don't remember much about it, other than I liked one of the sauces.  I wanted to get BBQ from Tom Jenkins, but they were closed (Sunday), so I made a detour to the Davie Sonny's.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/08/29 09:21:25
It's probably been around two years since I visited a Sonny's, I can't say anything bad about them.

The meat was tender and juicy with a good amount of smoke.  The beans were excellent, the service was fast and friendly, and the prices were very reasonable.

I usually hit Sonny's when I am in Orlando and need a RF fix.  But, I have found so many good spots in Orlando, I see no need for repetition.  Maybe I'll try to work Sonny's into my eating schedule on my next Orlando trip.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/09/01 12:09:38
BT

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by MetroplexJim
[I am "Q-conflicted" as I now live in Dallas, home of brisket, and crave whole hog Eastern NC. Solution for anywhere: order the pulled pork anywhere in the US, specify "no sauce", and pull out your bottle of Scott's Sauce. My wife and I go through 12 pint bottles of this a year for this and many other purposes, including gifts. www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com.

If you want an easy home version of Sonny's sliced pork Q and have access to Trader Joe's, buy their "carnitas," which is really just a chunk of pretty lean roasted pork, slice it fairly thin, apply your favorite sauce (and I gotta have some slaw also) and enjoy.

One of the many things I miss after moving from McLean, VA to McKinney, TX (Dallas suburb) is TRADER JOE'S!  Their "nearest" store is 440 miles away in KC!  I can't believe that the 6.5 million of us in DFW don't have a Trader Joe's. 

At least we have both Inn-n-Out and Five Guys! 

MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q 2011/09/01 13:14:02
Our nearest Sonny's is in Rome, GA, about 50 miles away.  Wish we had one.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2