Kenny's Burger chains

Junior Burger
2007/10/24 17:52:58
Looking for anyone with interest or knowledge on this old Burger chain.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/10/25 07:31:36
There is a two store Kenny's burger joint in the Valley of Virginia. One is in Lexington, the other a few miles down the road in Buena Vista. Don't know if they were ever part of a larger chain. The burgers start around a buck for a thin single patty. Their selling point is the sauce which is kind of a hot, catsuppy. relish.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/10/25 10:42:21
Hello All,
Driverboss, we had a Kenny's Burger in Harrisonburg, Va. in the mid 1960's.
Great fries, great burger with a secret sauce, (yeah, they all had a secret sauce.)
It had no drive-up, and very maybe 3 or 4 really small round tables inside to sit and eat on.
My supervisor worked there. If you wish I could ask him more about it. Any questions you
might want me to ask him?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Doozie
Junior Burger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/10/27 23:59:34
Well, I've got a little bit of a site up on it (Kenney's). I have more material to add, just haven't been busy on it lately. The owner is a friend.

http://members.cox.net/kenneyburger/

Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/10/28 05:02:47
Hello All,
Doozie, I enjoyed your site. In Harrisonburg, Va., we had both a Biff Burger and
Kenney's. They were here before McDonald's, and they were better than McDonald's.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/10/28 19:46:22
doozie, your site is great. are there any kenney's left in roanoke/salem area?
southpaw
Cheeseburger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/11/02 14:51:10
I remember Kenny Burger growing up in Salem, Va. It was a real treat to get a "SAUCE BURGER".
I ate at the one in Buena Vista a few years ago during a Bluegrass festival. For some reason it wasn't as good as I remember. But the fried chicken was pretty good.

To douginvirginia- There are no Kenny's left in the Roanoke/Salem area but there are a few places that claim to have the "original" sauce burger.
Doozie
Junior Burger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/11/09 21:05:13
Regarding Kenneyburgers in the Roanoke-Salem area, one of the first places to offer them is Bobbie-Jo's Restaurant. Its off of route 419 in Salem, near the place that sells truck bedliners, on Salem Turnpike. There are some more places that have added them to their menus. One is Gerows, a little bar down on Old Cave Spring Road off Brambleton Ave. There's a place in Vinton that has them, but I don't have the name. I'll ask Bill Kenney, and post the places around town that he knows of.
Doozie
Junior Burger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/11/09 21:09:26
Regarding Biff-Burger & Kenneys being open at the same time, that happened in Roanoke as well. Not sure if leaving the franchise (Biff-Burger) Bill Kenney kept stores open with both names for a time, to see if sales were affected. Apparently, they weren't, as a "Wedding" was staged between the two, and Biff-Burger was dropped from Bill's stores.
Doozie
Junior Burger
RE: Kenny's Burger chains 2007/11/09 21:16:48
Old school Kenneys
If you want the most authentic early Kenneys experience, I would recommend the Lexington Va. location. It's in the old style building, and very little has been changed since it was built in the '60s. If you find yourself in the Greensboro NC area, a visit to Beef-Burger on Lee St. is definitely in order. The building is a twin to the Kenneys in Lexington, and it has the added bonus of still using a Roto Broiler for cooking. Say hi to Ralph Havis when you visit. Another original Kenneys building still operating under that name is found in Lynchburg Va, It is one of the last 'new style' Kenney's buildings, and has good sauceburgers as well.
irishgrl68
Junior Burger
Re:Kenny's Burger chains 2011/01/08 18:16:58
I grew up on these, there was one in Vinton and the one on Brambleton Avenue....the place on Salem Turnpike also still does the Sugar coated fried biscuts upon request.   Also does anyone remember the Lyndies chain?