Hot-dog buns

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
  • Reward points : 0
Hot-dog buns - Wed, 10/24/07 6:50 PM
Hot-dog buns like this ...............anyone know where I can get them here on the west coast?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Hot-dog buns - Wed, 10/24/07 7:09 PM

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Hot-dog buns - Wed, 10/24/07 7:44 PM
thanks Michael.............. that's the best cost for shipping I've seen. I was hoping I'd find them here in Northern California .fresh..........

Your Order
Item Name SubTotal

4 Wonder Hot Dog Buns, Sliced 18 oz. (New England Style) 18.00

Subtotal: 18.00
Shipping: 5.75
Tax: 0.00
Total: 23.75

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Hot-dog buns - Wed, 10/24/07 7:58 PM
Sizz: I'll check with my local USPO tomorrow, but I aught to be able to beat that price...

Cheers, John

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: Hot-dog buns - Thu, 10/25/07 4:40 AM
How about taking a larger bun, brat style maybe, and slicing a little off the top and the bottom, then a bit off the left side so it can stand up? Then one slice down the middle to open it up.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Hot-dog buns - Thu, 10/25/07 8:12 AM
Sizz, here's an old topic that may be of interest to ya: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7294

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Hot-dog buns - Thu, 10/25/07 9:16 AM
Fabulous- I have been looking for these style buns for some time now. It's great to have a source- cause here in Dallas they have no clue when asking for hot dog buns with a split top! Now to get my lobster salad done and maybe some terrific hot dogs with sauce too! Thanks!

JohnN
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 11/6/07 6:28 PM
try a loaf of fresh unsliced white bread, have the bakery slice it 2" thick, then split the top yourself. Most of the places I've seen them in bulk like at amusement parks and drive in's in PA are just that. They were not baked individually or slammed together, it's a special slicing of a long loaf about 24" long. Maybe that's why I've never cared for them, noone butters and grills them b4 serving.

Buddy Dek
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Hot-dog buns - Wed, 11/7/07 7:17 PM
The real test is when the liquid sauces are added. The true new england style roll will hold a handfull of pilings;that similar looking slice of bread will not and will absorb everything and quickly.Could get soggy!

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Hot-dog buns - Wed, 11/7/07 8:25 PM
I can't find those rolls in Daytona, but I like the idea from easydoesit about cutting the sides off.
toast the rolls on each side and you don't have to worry about the sauces killing them.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Hot-dog buns - Fri, 11/9/07 7:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

thanks Michael.............. that's the best cost for shipping I've seen. I was hoping I'd find them here in Northern California .fresh..........

Your Order
Item Name SubTotal

4 Wonder Hot Dog Buns, Sliced 18 oz. (New England Style) 18.00

Subtotal: 18.00
Shipping: 5.75
Tax: 0.00
Total: 23.75

Thats a GREAT price for shipping.....
Just might order me some also....
My friends get lazy and take their time to send me stuff.

Bogframe
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 12:49 PM
These are also known as New England hot dog buns, and I've been trying in vain to find them here in NYC for years. Does anyone here know where in the city I can find them? The big advantage is that with these, you can butter the sides and grill them to crispy perfection before loading it with your dog and topping (or lobster roll fixings)!

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1500
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 1:41 PM
Pepperidge Farm makes top sliced rolls as well as side cut.  You have to look at the package closely and lots of markets don't cary them...but it's worth a shot

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 5:52 PM
Take a run over to AZ and go to Fry's Supermarkets. (A division of Kroger). They have them in their in-store bakeries.
They also own Quik Stops in the San Jose Area.

Foodbme
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 6:05 PM
Did a Google using New England style hot dog buns san jose.
Several people said they found them at Safeway.
Also a place called Old Port Lobster Shack in Redwood City.
For mail order:
 http://www.hancockgourmetlobster.com/product/New_England_Split_Top_Rolls/144

Foodbme
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 6:13 PM
Like Adventure? - bake your own:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/classic-new-england-hotdog-bun-pan
Here's a recipe:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 packets or 2 scant tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
2 cups warm milk (105°F to 115°F)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6 to 7 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
sesame, poppy or caraway seeds or coarse salt (optional)
*We give you this fairly wide variation for a couple of reasons. First, you'll find in the summer that you'll need a bit more flour to absorb a given amount of liquid than you will in the winter. This is because it's humid and flour acts somewhat like a slightly dampened sponge as a result.

Second, this particular dough should be quite slack, i.e., very relaxed in order to make soft and tender buns. So you want to add only enough more flour, past the 6-cup point, to make the dough just kneadable; sprinkling only enough more to keep it from sticking to you or the board.

Mixing: In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar and then the yeast in the warm water. Add the milk, oil, salt and 3 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.

Gradually add flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.

Kneading: Knead until you have a smooth, elastic dough. Because this dough is so slack, you may find that a bowl scraper or bench knife can be helpful in scooping up the dough and folding it over on itself.

Rising: Put the dough into an oiled bowl. Turn once to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly-woven dampened towel and let rise until doubled, about one hour.

Shaping: Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface. Divide into 18 equal pieces. This is done most easily by dividing the dough first into thirds, then those thirds into halves, then the halves into thirds.

Shape each piece into a ball. For hamburger buns, flatten the balls into 3 1/2-inch disks. For hot-dog buns, roll the balls into cylinders, 4 1/2-inches in length. Flatten the cylinders slightly; dough rises more in the center so this will give a gently rounded top versus a high top.

For soft-sided buns, place them on a well-seasoned baking sheet a half inch apart so they'll grow together when they rise. For crisper buns, place them three inches apart.

Second Rising: Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

Baking: Fifteen minutes before you want to bake your buns, preheat your oven to 400°F. Just before baking, lightly brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash and sprinkle with whatever seeds strike your fancy.

Bake for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 190°F. (A dough thermometer takes the guesswork out of this.)

When the buns are done, remove them from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. This will prevent the crust from becoming soggy.
<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 07/3/12 6:17 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848

starfire62
  • Total Posts : 220
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 8:37 PM
 bogframe      your close to jersey .try wegmans they sell them in the buffalo area
<message edited by starfire62 on Tue, 07/3/12 8:39 PM>

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Hot-dog buns - Tue, 07/3/12 10:36 PM
Bogframe,
I wrote extensively on this topic in this thread from 2009:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=530677

If you take the Outerbridge to Woodbridge you can get Wegman's excellent store brand buns made in their own bakery in Rochester.  Woodbridge store address is
15 Woodbridge Center Drive Woodbridge NJ 07095.

Arnold is still viable:
http://www.arnoldbread.com/Our-Products/Misc/Hot-Dog-Rolls/White-New-England.aspx

So is Pepperidge Farm:
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=757&prdID=121099

You might be able to get Freihofers in Westchester.

Try the customer service numbers for these bakeries to see if they record sales to individual stores.