• Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points : 0
Menudo - Fri, 11/2/07 3:07 PM
Anybody besides me like menudo?

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
RE: Menudo - Fri, 11/2/07 4:19 PM
I'll have a few times a year. Plenty of onions, oregano and lime.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Menudo - Mon, 11/5/07 10:13 AM
Around here where I live, people eat a bunch of it after they've been drinking. Supposedly, it blunts hangovers the following morning.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Menudo - Mon, 11/5/07 11:28 AM
I wonder how many bowls of Menudo are eaten every Sunday morning? My guess is 50 million.
Joe

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Menudo - Wed, 11/7/07 9:00 AM
It's a Sunday morning ritual for me. I go to Mi Tienda(Mexican HEB) get a bowl of menudo a couple of barbacoa tacos and then do my grocery shopping on a full stomach.

joe

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Menudo - Wed, 11/7/07 9:52 AM
Calvin Trillin once wrote that, when examining Tex Mex restaurants, he always looked for menudo on the menu. He doesn't like menudo that much, but it's very presence on the bill of fare denotes a certain seriousness of purpose.

juleebella
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Menudo - Wed, 11/7/07 9:55 AM
Isn't that where Ricky Martin got his start?

PapaJoe8
RE: Menudo - Thu, 11/8/07 11:06 AM
Joe, thats a smart idea!

Jm, if your looking for real Mexican food, that is a good idea. If you want TexMex then menudo on the menu is scarrry.

Julee, when they name a band after a food item, the food must be somethin special. I know a guy who has a blues band called Hashbrown.
Joe

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Thu, 11/8/07 6:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

Calvin Trillin once wrote that, when examining Tex Mex restaurants, he always looked for menudo on the menu. He doesn't like menudo that much, but it's very presence on the bill of fare denotes a certain seriousness of purpose.

I don't know about Tex-Mex, but if you are looking for a serious Mexican restaurant see if they have tripas on the menu. Tell them you want them crispy with corn tortillas.

joe

wingandaprayer
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Menudo - Mon, 12/3/07 1:44 PM
Menudo: solomente blanco con celantro y cebolla. Nada Mas!

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Menudo - Sat, 12/8/07 1:14 AM
I absolutely love the many delicious flavors. Give them guts to someone else!

blue heaven
  • Total Posts : 488
RE: Menudo - Sat, 12/8/07 7:35 AM
What is in menudo?

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Sat, 12/8/07 9:25 PM
Tripe, some put pigs or beef feet, white hominey, spices dried ground red chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper are the basic ingredients. It is served with lime slices to squease into the bowl and chopped onion and cilatro.

joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Sun, 12/9/07 11:55 AM
T'Joe, the "alternative" meats you mention are an excellent idea.
I will be cooking a pot.
Thanks!

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Mon, 12/10/07 9:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

T'Joe, the "alternative" meats you mention are an excellent idea.
I will be cooking a pot.
Thanks!

They are not alternative as much as additional. Some add them to the tripe(menudo). I don't, although they add flavor I don't like dealing with all the little bones when they come apart.

joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 2:56 PM
OK, the menudo(my experiment) is is simmering on the stove. No tripe, I used chicken thighs and smoked sausage. Just now pulled the meat away from the simmering thighs, bones still in the pot also. Seasonings are very traditional. I like bold flavors, therefore, I made a strong broth. I intend to let it simmer for another 3 or so hours. If the stuff doesn't kill me, I'll report back.
May the force be with me!

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 4:11 PM
quote:

OK, the menudo(my experiment) is is simmering on the stove. No tripe, I used chicken thighs and smoked sausage. Just now pulled the meat away from the simmering thighs, bones still in the pot also. Seasonings are very traditional. I like bold flavors, therefore, I made a strong broth. I intend to let it simmer for another 3 or so hours. If the stuff doesn't kill me, I'll report back.

It's not menudo without the menudo. It's not posole without the posole. You just invented a new dish. We'll have to think of a name like gumensole or membosole or maybe Aztec Gumbo since it has chicken and sausage.

joe

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 4:14 PM
quote:

I live about 2 hours from you, and I feel like driving up and joining you! (Unfortunately, I have to go pick up my kids in a few minutes) Rouxdog, that sounds like some good eating goin on in Carrizozo tonight!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 4:35 PM
quote:

That sounds like my kind of menudo. I just can't stomach tripe.

EDIT: I can't believe I just said stomach tripe.

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 7:01 PM
Well, I just finished off two delicious bowls of my "unique" menudo(MINUS TRIPE) as per my earlier posted recipe plan. No ill effects at this point. I think I've found a winner!
Texianjoe, we do need a name for this delicious filling bowl of heaven.... Had a few corn tortillas on the side.

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 790
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 7:05 PM
I have found Trillin's advice in this matter to be good. I like mine with plenty of lime and cilantro

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 7:06 PM
quote:

Well, I just finished off two delicious bowls of my "unique" menudo(MINUS TRIPE) as per my earlier posted recipe plan. No ill effects at this point. I think I've found a winner!
Texianjoe, we do need a name for this delicious filling bowl of heaven.... Had a few corn tortillas on the side.

How about trite menudo?

cakes

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/13/07 7:07 PM
Tam, load the youngins up and come have a bowl!

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Fri, 12/14/07 7:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

quote:

How about trite menudo?

cakes

Or Mocknudo or Fauxnudo.

joe

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
RE: Menudo - Sat, 12/15/07 3:36 PM
I have never had menudo. I just returned from Browsnsville, TX. I was with two Hispanic realtor agents and they indicated they did not care for the soup. They indicated that it smelled up their house.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Menudo - Sat, 12/15/07 4:31 PM
It does. I used to work next door to a Mexican restaurant. When they would boil the tripe on Fridays it smelled almost as bad as the Moroccan open air hide tanneries.

PapaJoe8
RE: Menudo - Mon, 12/17/07 3:47 PM
Roux, about those traditional seasonings???

I might talk my family into trying your version.

And, the name of this new soup??? Maybe we need a contest?
Joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 10:27 AM
I ate this stuff for the better part of three days. Each time I heated it up it got a bit tastier.This "thing" does deserve a name. My wife actually ate some. There is NO WAY she's gonna allow me to cook the real thing in this house! Some good name suggestions have been mentioned. I got to thinking a bit. Menudo and gumbo do have a little in common, certainly my concoction. Next time, and there will be a next time, I think I'll add a little roux in the pot. After all, I am the rouxdog! Menudo reminds me of Texas, gumbo reminds me of Louisiana. How about menumbo, gumudo or boudo. The possibilities are about endless!

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 12:08 PM
quote:

I ate this stuff for the better part of three days. Each time I heated it up it got a bit tastier.This "thing" does deserve a name. My wife actually ate some. There is NO WAY she's gonna allow me to cook the real thing in this house! Some good name suggestions have been mentioned. I got to thinking a bit. Menudo and gumbo do have a little in common, certainly my concoction. Next time, and there will be a next time, I think I'll add a little roux in the pot. After all, I am the rouxdog! Menudo reminds me of Texas, gumbo reminds me of Louisiana. How about menumbo, gumudo or boudo. The possibilities are about endless!

rouxdog, I think you have a spy in you camp. This was in the Houston Chronicle this morning.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/food/5384838.html

joe

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 12:22 PM
I'm happy to see that others besides myself like menudo. I agree it does smell somewhat during the cooking process and it is quite unappitising to watch the whole process, but when it's done. It's awesome with cilantro onions lime and perhaps a few jalapinos and some mexican oregano. It's kind ofhard to find in Austin. But I never miss an opportunity to dine at Jalisco's on Palm Avenue in Imperial Beach Ca. That's where I was first introduced to itand I do love it.

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 1:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brisketboy

I'm happy to see that others besides myself like menudo. I agree it does smell somewhat during the cooking process and it is quite unappitising to watch the whole process, but when it's done. It's awesome with cilantro onions lime and perhaps a few jalapinos and some mexican oregano. It's kind ofhard to find in Austin. But I never miss an opportunity to dine at Jalisco's on Palm Avenue in Imperial Beach Ca. That's where I was first introduced to itand I do love it.

Any taqueria will have menudo. I thought I saw an Arandas when I was up there last Sat., I know they have it especially on weekends. Good luck. You are right is smells awfull until you put the spices in.

joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 1:48 PM
Joe,
You are on top of our surveillance! Do believe we may have a spy amongst. By the way, I printed a copy of the Hou. Ch. recipe. Two things this home will not be caught without are pinto beans and posole.

PapaJoe8
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 3:37 PM
Roux,
About those seasonings for your chicken and sausage stuff?? And for a name???
Joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 4:42 PM
Joe, OK,
Here goes. This "thing" isn't written down anyplace. Best I recall, this is what I did. Found some Chicken thighs and smoked sausage in the freezer. Pulled them out and thawed. Heated up a bit of lard, seared the thighs w/ skin on(fully cooked sausage added about half way through total the process), sauteed down onions,added chicken broth,lemon juice and posole, green chiles,Chimayo red, garlic, ezapote, S/P, powdered garlic as well as powdered onion. The two stars of the show are Mexican Oregano and Cumin! Top billing goes to fresh lime wedges and Cilantro for color and a nice kick!
I probably left out a thing or two. Wing it, thats what I did!

thediningroom
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 5:13 PM
Fred "G" Stanford use to eat menudo. The "G" was for gastretious, I would never eat that slop!

Texianjoe
RE: Menudo - Wed, 12/19/07 5:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Roux,
About those seasonings for your chicken and sausage stuff?? And for a name???
Joe

I know it's cheating but in the Mexican spice section of the grocery store buy the menudo mix. It does a good job of seasoning anything to taste like menudo or pozole.

joe

rouxdog
RE: Menudo - Thu, 12/20/07 10:34 AM
That ain't cheatin, thats being resourceful!

PapaJoe8
RE: Menudo - Fri, 12/21/07 1:41 PM
Aaaaa, neat, thanks yall. I will try from scratch and then the seasoning pak if I can find it. It's kinda like chili w/o chili powder.
Joe