Cream of wheat

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 75
holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Reward points : 0
Cream of wheat - Mon, 11/5/07 10:26 PM
Don't think I've ever had it. Is it more like oatmeal or grits?

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3662
RE: Cream of wheat - Mon, 11/5/07 10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by holdem

Cream of Wheat is so good to eat, and we have it everyday.

We sing this song; it will make us strong, and it makes us shout, "Hooray!"

It's good for growing babies, and grownups too to eat.

For all the family's breakfast, you can't beat Cream of Wheat.

(It is more like fine grits.)

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Cream of wheat - Mon, 11/5/07 10:57 PM
A Lebanese chef once gave me a hint for making Lebanese style cream of wheat cereal.
He puts a small amount of rose water in the cereal while it cooks. What a delightful difference it makes in the taste.
Now, if you don't like rose flavored food, then simply, don't add it. But, I do love that flavor.
Really good rose water is now available in most markets and of course, Middle Eastern specialty stores.
Don't buy the French brand that's widely available. It's not very good and way too expensive.
I buy Cortes (brand) rose water. About $1.89 for a 12 oz. bottle.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 12:29 AM
Just half & half and sugar does it for me--not very healthy but oh so good.

Texture wise, it's more like grits--much finer grained than oatmeal--but the taste is blander than either.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 9:11 AM
I never much cared for cream of wheat, wheateena, or oatmeal until my wife's step father, a man in his late 70s at that time, taught us to mix them all together in any proportion that pleased us and in any combination. Since then we have enjoyed our hot cereal, but only in the cold months. We also sometimes mix in dried fruit like raisins, currants, or chopped up apricots. Half and Half is fine for me, but Gail, a dieter, douses hers with blue milk.

Cheers, John

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:02 AM
I grew up on Cream of Wheat.. I rarely buy it now unless I find it on sale (or find a generic brand).. but it's soooo good! I like it with butter, sugar, and skim milk..and sometimes a splash of maple syrup..

qwerty79
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:04 AM
I have not had cream of wheat in a while. When I lived in NY, we always had cream of wheat with maple syrup and brown sugar during the cold months. Down here in FL it's grits country. I like grits and have it whenever we go out for breakfast, but I miss cream of wheat. I'll have to buy a box the next time I am at the store. Give cream of wheat a try if you haven't had it. If you like oatmeal or grits than you should like cream of wheat.

Maybe this site can help: http://www.foodsubs.com/

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:07 AM
We grew up with Maypo. How similiar is that to cream of wheat?

Juju Bellies
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:45 AM
Growing up, my sisters and I would beg my grandma to make Cream of Wheat with lots of "lumps" that we would then proceed to fight over. To this day, we all still love lumpy Cream of Wheat with a pat of butter and brown sugar.

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:57 AM
It's farina, isn't it? My MN native SO had her mother bring her some Malt-O-Meal last year, and I thought that and Cream of Wheat were pretty much the same thing? Maypo! I haven't heard that name in a while.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 11:36 AM
I haven't had Cream of Wheat in ages. In my insane house, we ate it with milk and tons of salt, just like we did with oatmeal, Wheatina, Farina and Pastina. It must sound disgusting to the outsider, but man-o-man, that's a pretty strong childhood food memory for me.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 11:55 AM
We grew up with oatmeal and brown sugar, NO cream of wheat. However, when we would go visit my Grandparents in W.Va they always had a few boxes of Cocoa Wheats, now that was good stuff. A little milk and sugar only. It can't be found down here.

Ivyhouse
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 11:58 AM
Seafarer, that is what I do with my hot cereal. During breakfast in our cafeteria at work for hot cereal we have three choices -- usually oatmeal, cream farina, and grits. I add the three of them to my bowl, with brown sugar, butter and a bit of 1/2 and 1/2. Very tasty.

Maypo was my favorite as a kid -- maple-flavored hot oat cereal. The TV ad was Marky Maypo shouting "I want my Maypo!"

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 12:09 PM
My son loved Cream of Wheat when he was very small. He called it "Queen of Wheat".

He is now 14, 5'11-1/2", 140 lbs. and would probably find this embarrassing.

lynndunham
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 12:24 PM
I love cream of wheat with just salt and butter, nothing sweet. I make it with 2% milk and don't usually add any other milk unless it's so thick the spoon stands up! Love the lumps in cream of wheat and in chocolate pudding! Like brown sugar and butter in my oatmeal.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 1:21 PM
Hot Ralston and Cream of Wheat were my favorites -- with honey and cream.

I guess, though, that Ralston was my very, very, very favorite. That was because Tom Mix ate it every single day.

When it's Ralston time at breakfast
Then it surely is a treat
To have some rich full flavored Ralston
Made from golden western wheat
Wrangler says it is deeeeelicous!
And you'll find so 'fore you're through
With a lot of cream for it sure tastes keen
It's the tops for breakfast, too.
Ask your mother in the morning
Serve you up a steaming plate
It's a grand hot whole-wheat cereal
And the cowboys think it's great.
Once you try it, you'll stay by it
Tom Mix says it's swell to eat.
Jane and Jimmy, too, say it's best for you
Ralston cereal can't be beat.

jettababs
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 1:53 PM
Mmmm, Cocoa Wheats. My mom used to make those for me, and stir in chocolate chips. My teachers must have loved that... So good, though. Plain old cream of wheat is yummy, too, with just sugar and milk and maybe a dab of butter. The first time I saw shrimp and grits, it threw me--I was so used to seeing hot cereal-type stuff as sweet, not savory, but the textures and flavor really are different.

lynndunham
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 3:40 PM
Just remembered - up until a few years ago I loved to drop chocolate chips into the cream of wheat along with butter. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow!

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 8:56 PM
Cream of wheat with maple and brown sugar on a cold winter morning (with lumps of course). I want a blizzard right now just to re-live the sensation!
quote:
Originally posted by lynndunham

I love cream of wheat with just salt and butter, nothing sweet. I make it with 2% milk and don't usually add any other milk unless it's so thick the spoon stands up! Love the lumps in cream of wheat and in chocolate pudding! Like brown sugar and butter in my oatmeal.

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 9:27 PM
Growing up, my mother would always feed us Cream of Wheat on cold days -- oatmeal, too, though we preferred the former, with milk and cinnamon-sugar. Years later, I bought Cream of Rice and LOVED it. I'll look for it again on my next grocery trip -- thanks, Holdem, for bringing this up!

holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 10:17 PM
I'm not much of a fan of oatmeal. I do really enjoy grits with butter and salt. Sounds like cream of wheat may taste more like oatmeal than grits. Anybone eat there cream of wheat with butter and salt?

fdm813
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Cream of wheat - Tue, 11/6/07 11:32 PM
I remember it growing up. My grandmother used to fix it for me when I spent the night. She would add butter and a spoonful of blackberry preserves. It was very good. Think I will give it a try after 40 years and see if it is as good as I remember.

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 12:24 AM
I've loved Cream of Wheat since I was a kid. At this point, I may only have it two or three times a year, but I always keep a box of it for when the mood strikes me. I always finish it off with butter and a lot of sugar (I have a major sweet tooth).

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 1:32 AM
quote:

I'm not much of a fan of oatmeal. I do really enjoy grits with butter and salt. Sounds like cream of wheat may taste more like oatmeal than grits. Anybone eat there cream of wheat with butter and salt?

It doesn't taste like either one.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 6:17 AM
===The TV ad was Marky Maypo shouting "I want my Maypo!"===

Dad would call me that name frequently. We never bought the stuff though as we were a Cream of Wheat family. Frankly, with mom, it was anything that came in a packet where we could add hot water to the bowl. If Maypo came in packets, maybe I too would have been a Maypo kid.
As time went by, I think I graduated to oatmeal due to its texture and probably because Quaker Oats had more variety to their offerings.

As far as grits go, my CoW upbringing makes it easy for me to equate them with each other. If you put enough sugar and milk on either, it seems pretty good to me.

===We also sometimes mix in dried fruit like raisins, currants, or chopped up apricots.===

Remember, everything is better with bananas.....

mark

Sneetch
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 12:11 PM
i just had cream of wheat this morning - with raisins, half n half and brown sugar...love that cream of wheat but oddly, can't stand grits...!

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 1:09 PM
Cream of Wheat- YES. And I learned a neat trick years ago: a little shake of Cream of Wheat into any type of breading you use for fried foods makes a super-crisp crust.
In fact, I like most hot cereals. I even like Grape Nuts, with milk just to cover, warmed in the microwave for one minute.
But my favorite all-time hot cereal (which NOBODY has mentioned) is MALT-O-MEAL.
Ron

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 1:11 PM
OOPS! Sorry, Nancy- you did mention MALT-O-MEAL. But I do find the flavor a bit more interesting and...malty.
Ron

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 3:19 PM
My oldest sister joined the army in the mid-70s and did her basic here at Ft. Jackson (for those of you who don't know, *gigantic* basic training facility, does something like a fourth of the nation's enlistees), and one of the things I remember about the stories she would tell is the reaction of all these youngsters from all different parts of the country when they'd be served grits in the mess hall for breakfast the first time. Some people put butter and salt on them, some people put brown sugar or syrup . . it was just mass cognitive dissonance. And all the 'camps' would look at each other with puzzlement. I guess it went back to whatever cereal you grew up with.

Ron I don't think I'd ever heard of Malt-O-Meal before meeting my SO. It is malty. :)

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Cream of wheat - Wed, 11/7/07 9:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

A Lebanese chef once gave me a hint for making Lebanese style cream of wheat cereal.
He puts a small amount of rose water in the cereal while it cooks. What a delightful difference it makes in the taste.
Now, if you don't like rose flavored food, then simply, don't add it. But, I do love that flavor.
Really good rose water is now available in most markets and of course, Middle Eastern specialty stores.
Don't buy the French brand that's widely available. It's not very good and way too expensive.
I buy Cortes (brand) rose water. About $1.89 for a 12 oz. bottle.

I worked for a Persian woman who would sometimes make Persian home cooking for those of us who were in the kitchen. She decided to make us a Persian breakfast of cooked cracked wheat, similar to Cream of Wheat, but it had cinnamon, rose water, lamb and onions in it. All the line cooks were rather perplexed, but ate it any way, but took to calling it Cream of Meat.

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 11/8/07 2:26 AM
Cream of Wheat was a staple in our household when I was growing up. I still remember eating a bowl of it (milk and sugar added of course) before school and watching Fury on the television.

Great memories. (And I still eat Cream Of Wheat fairly often)

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 11/9/07 8:44 AM
I make it and eat it as a cold dessert. Make it, pour into a pan, cut squares out. Pour some strawberry, blueberry or any other (except maple) syrup over it. Very nice.

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 11/9/07 9:16 AM
I love most of the hot cereals. I do have a question...is Cream of Wheat and farina the same thing?
I also love Cream of Rice hot cereal, my Father put me on to that one....YUMM. I also use it in place of the oatmeal in my meatloaf sometimes.
Pam

TooPhat
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 11/11/07 2:04 AM
Cream of Wheat was a cold morning staple in our house growing up. I always ate it with lots of sugar and a little butter. I still love it, it's a major comfort food for me! After I had some surgery last year that's all they could tempt me with after I couldn't eat for four days!
Pam

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Cream of wheat - Mon, 12/24/07 9:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pamelakrest

I love most of the hot cereals. I do have a question...is Cream of Wheat and farina the same thing?
I also love Cream of Rice hot cereal, my Father put me on to that one....YUMM. I also use it in place of the oatmeal in my meatloaf sometimes.
Pam

Cream of Wheat is a brand name for a farina porridge.

lynndunham
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 12/28/07 1:50 PM
I forgot that cream of wheat can be a wonderful late night snack when you drop a handful of chocolate chips into it!

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 12/28/07 2:12 PM
Hi,
As a kid mom always had the pillsbury brand "Farina" of Cream of Wheat...lot's of milk and sugar..still a great taste for me.....Also liked Wheatina...and later Maypo...nothing more than the first commercial oatmeal with maple syrup flavor. Someone had a brainstorm back then that got the ball rolling with hot cereal!
leethebard

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2014
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 12/28/07 2:26 PM
Cream of wheat and grits are nothing alike. I think thats what we used when I was in the 1st &2nd grade to make glue with.

Grits you eat with butter and/or eggs.

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 12/28/07 2:30 PM
Right...very different but very good equally..althiugh I prefer my grits with butter or red-eye ...not milk!
leethebard

matilda
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 12/28/07 2:31 PM
Which came first, Maypo or Alpo?

Just kidding.

I love Cream of Wheat and oatmeal with sugar, butter and milk.

I like grits with salt, pepper and butter.

007bond-jb
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 01/31/08 11:15 AM
Try it with evaperated milk sugar & butter mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What about Malt O meal?

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 01/31/08 11:10 PM
quote:

Neither its in a league of its own and very tasty

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 01/31/08 11:20 PM
We never had sweet hot cereal while growing up and I can't it with sugar and milk. Salt and butter is the way to go.

I seem to recall that sometimes we had country ham and red-eye gravy and the gravy was good if it 'accidently' got pourd on the cream of wheat.

tacchino
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 01/31/08 11:44 PM
Farina brand cream of wheat all the way...delicious with a little milk, butter, and either brown sugar or honey.

But alas, I haven't had milk in years, butter is out, and it would be a sugar substitute for me anyway.

Oh well...growing older...

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Thu, 01/31/08 11:57 PM
How about the ols standby, Maltex??...but farina...or maypo is still brst

dcwatts
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Cream of wheat - Fri, 02/1/08 9:55 PM
CREAM OF WHEAT PANCAKES

- 1 1/2 c Bisquick
- 1/2 c Instant Cream of Wheat (dry)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk
- 2tbls melted butter
- 2 eggs
Pre-heat griddle to 350degF. Combine Bisquick, Cream of Wheat, baking soda and salt first, mixing well. In a secondary bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and melted butter (mixing thoroughly), then into that same (secondary) bowl add buttermilk and vanilla. Finally, pour wet mixture into the primary mixing bowl, taking care not to over-stir (some lumpiness is preferable to over-stirring).

MiamiDon
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 7:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by susanll

We grew up with Maypo. How similiar is that to cream of wheat?

Maypo is maple-flavored oatmeal, I believe.

Available here:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 8:15 AM
Correct! It was the first flavored hot cereal. Someone had the bright idea of adding maple syrup flavoring to oatmeal. Kids loved it...and the cartoon commercial where the kid shouted,when given plain outmeal,"That's oatmeal. I want my Maypo!" was a hit with kids who kept shouting to their parents,"I want my Maypo" Great marketing gimmick...and hot cereal would never be the same. Note that cartoon kid still on the box!! I guess the company owes him a lot!!!

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 8:18 AM

-------------YUK-------------

I hated Cream of Wheat and even though I haven't had any for
about 60 years the first thing that came to mind when I saw
the title of the post was------------YUK------and I'm not kiddin'.

dcwatts
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 8:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

-------------YUK-------------

IMHO, the secret to enjoying C.O.W. is butter - lots of butter. Also sugar. copious sugar. And salt ... uhmmm ... mebbe you've got a point there.

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 9:00 AM
I like farina(the guy that made you go yuck is on an maypo oatmeal box)with milk, and LOTs of sugar,or these days, Splenda!

the ancient mariner
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 11:31 AM
As a rule I don't like food that has to be doctered up to hide the taste,
or in the case of COW the lack of taste----it's like store boughten white
bread without butter, jam, or something that you can dunk it into.

k9hckmac
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 11:41 AM
Its my favorite hot cereal next to grits. Plenty of sugar and butter makes it great.

gofoodracer
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Cream of wheat - Sat, 02/2/08 10:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Just half & half and sugar does it for me--not very healthy but oh so good.

Texture wise, it's more like grits--much finer grained than oatmeal--but the taste is blander than either.

well a healthy heeping table spoon of sugar and some milk will sovle that! I love me some cream of wheat, I know what just made it on my grocery lst

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 7:05 AM
hey, is there ANY(Imean ANY) difference between Pillsbury's brand,Farina, and any other Cream of wheat???or is that vice versa...oh you know what I mean!

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 7:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

hey, is there ANY(Imean ANY) difference between Pillsbury's brand,Farina, and any other Cream of wheat???or is that vice versa...oh you know what I mean!

Yesterday, while shopping, I went by the dented food bin. In there was the Quaker Oats version which said that it was Cream of Wheat.
Maybe this is a generic term as on the flip side of the box was the Spanish version of this product listed as Farina.

Going to the Quaker website, there is no listing for the product, though there is a picture if you search around.
But hey, they are still making Quisp!!!! You can get T-shirts and watches too.

As for grits, they have that covered. One version is complete with red-eye gravy....ugh.

mark

leethebard
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 7:51 AM
no..no...red eye gravy is great...

MiamiDon
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 10:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Lee, farina is generic, and Cream of Wheat is a brand-name farina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farina_(food)

rptyper
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 10:36 AM
I don't eat hot cereal from a bowl anymore. I drink it Mexican style by adding alot of water, cinnamon, sugar, butter and wind up sipping it from a glass. I used to work with some men from Mexico and I noticed they came back from the catering truck with totally different food than what I got. Learned to stand behind them and say 'me too'.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Cream of wheat - Sun, 02/3/08 11:30 AM
I was always a Malt-O-Meal girl.With brown sugar and milk.Thats what Mom bought.But when sleeping over at my friends house, her Mom made us Cream of Wheat with cinnamon, milk and a little sugar.Always considered that a treat!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 75