Roasting question

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
  • Reward points : 0
Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 9:20 AM
I love brussel sprouts and usually cook (steam) them on stove top.
I don't like the way they smell when cooking hahahah
Has anyone roasted them?? Are they good this way??
Pam

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 9:39 AM
I've roasted them and don't like them as much as some other roasted vegetables like asparagus. My favorite way to cook them is to remove all the outer leaves and cook them in a covered glass dish in the microwave with a little water. It only takes about 3 or 4 minutes and the smell is minimal. They have a very delicate flavor without the cores.

Ivyhouse
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 9:59 AM
I love brussels sprouts, smell and all! Having said that, I parboil them, drain, then saute them in butter till they get a little browned. A little salt, maybe a squirt of lemon juice, they are delicious.

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 10:16 AM
I have roasted them - prepare them for cooking and toss them in olive oil and kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper. Roast them at 375 for about 30 or so minutes. Shake the pan a few times during cooking.
They should be browned on the outside but tender and not mushy on the inside.
They're still going to smell while they're cooking, though.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 11:20 AM
I've pan fried them in a generous amount of butter, like 1 stick. I like their smell.

Rustywolf
  • Total Posts : 176
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/9/07 1:12 PM
Bailey's has it exactly right: Prepared that way, sprouts are tender and delicious. Almost like candy. Watch them so they don't burn, though.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Roasting question - Sat, 11/10/07 8:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I've pan fried them in a generous amount of butter, like 1 stick. I like their smell.

Hmm, if you added some bacon fat to that butter you could discard the sprouts and put the butter/fat on biscuits. Like cooking carp on a plank.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Roasting question - Sat, 11/10/07 2:37 PM
deep fry them in a batter, pickled sprouts are also rather tasty, especially if you add a chili pepper to the mix..

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Roasting question - Sat, 11/10/07 3:06 PM
I am alone in my family when it comes to brussel sprouts.Absolutely love them!!I have par boiled and then pan fried,simply boiled them and put Velveeta cheese on them( Yum)and roasted them in a 425 degree oven.I guess my favorite would be the par boil and then sauteed in butter....

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: Roasting question - Sun, 11/11/07 9:59 AM
Dreamzpainter...Pickled spouts?? Never heard of them....are they dill pickled??? Where to find them???
Might be something to look into... I love pickled items.
Pamela

Wannabchef
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Roasting question - Sun, 11/11/07 10:29 AM
We leave them whole on the tree - lightly coat with olive oil and salt & pepper. Roast for about 20 min @ 375. Great presentation! They get carved off the tree.

LuckyLabrador
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Roasting question - Tue, 11/13/07 5:58 PM
I wonder if anyone has had the nerve to have a dinner party and served boiled brussel sprouts...sniff, sniff, sniff, "Well we gotta go now, we just remembered we forgot something"

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Roasting question - Thu, 11/15/07 11:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLabrador

I wonder if anyone has had the nerve to have a dinner party and served boiled brussel sprouts...sniff, sniff, sniff, "Well we gotta go now, we just remembered we forgot something"

Gee, they were a standard at nice family dinners when I was growing up in New England.

I guess people who can't open windows for six months of the year and think corned beef and cabbage is living high have a different sense of smell.

Mad Scientist
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Roasting question - Fri, 11/16/07 11:00 PM
I have friends who don't usually like them, but enjoy them casseroled. This basic recipe is: lay a layer of breadcrumbs in a buttered pie dish, arrange the brussels sprouts in a well-packed single or double layer (whichever fits best). Cover in a mixture of breadcrumbs and shredded cheese, allowing it to trickle between the sprouts (but don't fill all the space in) Sprinkle cheese on top to help keep moisture in. Finally, add milk until it covers the sprouts and bake at ~350F for 35-60 min

That's the basic recipe. You can add your favorite spices, other ingredients (e.g. mushrooms) or many vegetables (e.g. raw or well browned onions, thin sliced carrots). You can adjust the breading/milk, type of cheese and cooking time to get the texture you prefer for both the "sauce" that forms, and the sprouts themselves. It's quite accepting and versatile.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Roasting question - Sat, 11/17/07 8:27 AM
pamelakrest-I am not sure if this brand is available in your area, but its called Forest Floor.They have pickled brussel sprouts, pickled asparagus, the list goes on. Or check at your local grocery in the pickle section.Alot of time those items are on the top shelf above the regular items.

BunnySlippers
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Roasting question - Sat, 11/17/07 9:55 AM
Here is my favorite brussels sprouts recipe. Everyone loves them and they are a staple on our Thanksgiving table. They don't have that sprout smell when cooking either.

Beef Braised Brussels Sprouts

2 pints fresh brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
1 can beef broth
fresh gound pepper
1/2 t. sugar
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Place sprouts, broth, pepper and sugar in a sauce pan. Cover and boil to your preferred "doneness". Remove sprouts and keep warm. Reduce pan liquid until slightly thickened and glaze like to form a sauce. Pout sauce over sprouts and top with shaved or grated Parmesan and more pepper if desired. Note, there is no need for added salt as the broth and cheese both provide adequate salt.

Enjoy!
Bunny