White sauce

Author Message
holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/8/2006
  • Location: thornville, OH
White sauce - Sun, 11/11/07 10:25 PM
0
I think it's made with sour cream. Anyone know how to make it?

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: White sauce - Sun, 11/11/07 11:26 PM
0
Are you talking about Mexican crema, the table/plate garnish sauce served in more authentic settings?

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/27/2005
  • Location: Huntsville, AL
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 10:10 AM
0
When I eat out at Mexican restaurants I always order their white sacue instead of the yellow sauce. It is a cheese dip. Great w/tortilla chips.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 10:26 AM
0
What are you guys talking about? What part of the country, and what dishes?
Sounds good.

soozycue520
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/16/2006
  • Location: Cincinnati, OH
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 12:17 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

When I eat out at Mexican restaurants I always order their white sacue instead of the yellow sauce. It is a cheese dip. Great w/tortilla chips.


This is, in my experience, melted quesa fresca. I prefer it over the yellow cheese, too.

I've had it as a dip, on chimichangas or anything with a quesa sauce. Most non-corporate mexican restaurants in the Cincinnati area offer quesa fresca.

Holdem,
Are you talking about the sour cream sauce on chicken enchiladas? This is usually green, as the sour cream is mixed with salsa verde.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 12:27 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by holdem

I think it's made with sour cream. Anyone know how to make it?

Nothing could be more simple.

Basic White Sauce

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Directions:

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 12:29 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by holdem

I think it's made with sour cream. Anyone know how to make it?

Nothing could be more simple

Basic White Sauce

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

Directions:

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency.

Where's the mexican part?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 12:40 PM
0
The question was about white sauce.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 12:42 PM
0
If you want a Mexican version:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups creamy salad dressing, e.g. Miracle Whip ™
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano


DIRECTIONS
Measure salad dressing into a medium bowl. Gradually stir in the milk. Season with red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and oregano, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. If you taste it right away, all you will taste is salad dressing.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 10:23 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by holdem

I think it's made with sour cream. Anyone know how to make it?
I'm going to assume you meant crema. Crema is basically creme fraiche, which is less sour and less thick than sour cream.

Here's the wiki entry, which tells you how to make it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fra%C3%AEche

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/14/2003
  • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
RE: White sauce - Tue, 11/13/07 10:29 PM
0
Ok, I may live in the North Country.. A white Mexican Sauce????? I'm lost here.. Seen a Roux recipe posted (didn't realize the Mexicans created it, then some whacked out sauce I wouldn't even feed my worst enemy).

laytonj1
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/8/2005
  • Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
RE: White sauce - Wed, 11/14/07 12:48 AM
0
Could they be referring to the white sauce that they put on fish tacos here in Southern California? It's similar to ranch or a thinned out mayo.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: White sauce - Wed, 11/14/07 8:51 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by holdem

I think it's made with sour cream. Anyone know how to make it?


We need more info like how was it used, we're just guessing. It could be crema, or cream sauce like on spinach enchiladas or enchiladas suizas, or it could be just melted cheese usually asadero or chihuahua usually called queso flamiado or queso fundido on the menu. Queso fresco is crumbly and does not melt just kind of curdles and burns or gets lumpy in a sauce.

joe

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: White sauce - Wed, 11/14/07 9:40 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by laytonj1

Could they be referring to the white sauce that they put on fish tacos here in Southern California? It's similar to ranch or a thinned out mayo.

Hey layton, in googling around I found this Recipe in a lady's blog.
http://castsugar.blogspot.com/2007/10/baja-fish-tacos.html

For white sauce:
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tsp. minced capers
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
~~~~~
To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.

Is this fairly close?
We've got lots of fish tacos up in Oregon, cuz we've got lots of fish, but no white sauce like that.

holdem
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/8/2006
  • Location: thornville, OH
RE: White sauce - Thu, 11/15/07 10:43 PM
0
I saw the sauce served in a retaurant. It appeared to be on enchilada's. Thanks.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: White sauce - Thu, 11/15/07 11:25 PM
0
http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/mexican-recipes/baja_cooking12.htm
Enchilada Suiza Sauce
8 large tomatoes
1½ tbsp oil
6 chiles de arbol, lightly toasted
1 pasilla or guajillo chile (pasilla is milder), lightly toasted
1 large white onion, quartered
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup water
1 cup crema media ácida or American sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

In large skill, heat oil and cook tomatoes until blackened and softened, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, soak chiles in water for 15 minutes to soften. Remove stems, seeds and membranes if desired. In food processor, blend together tomatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, water and crema or sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into a large saucepan. Heat thoroughly.

Foaminator
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/20/2007
  • Location: phoenix, AZ
RE: White sauce - Thu, 12/20/07 11:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

If you want a Mexican version:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups creamy salad dressing, e.g. Miracle Whip �
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano


DIRECTIONS
Measure salad dressing into a medium bowl. Gradually stir in the milk. Season with red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and oregano, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. If you taste it right away, all you will taste is salad dressing.

this sounds good I'll have to give it a try

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/18/2005
  • Location: Carrizozo, NM
RE: White sauce - Fri, 12/21/07 10:19 AM
0
Don't forget to add chopped New Mexico green chiles. Now you children stop fightin!