Turkey-- dark meat

Cheeseburger
2007/11/19 15:41:50
Does anyone know where I can find a turkey bred for the dark meat?

My whole family loves the dark meat, and all the ones today are bred for the white meat. I have called Butterball et all, with no luck, and a web search didn't come up with anything.

We have tried turkey rolls cooking two small ones, a lot of waste, and the year I tried to sneak a duck in, I just about got drummed ( pun intended) out of the family!

If anyone has any ideas where I cn find this elusive bird, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 15:52:41
I think it will depend on the size of the turkey, vs. the amount of dark meat you get.. Heritage variety would be a good start, but they have a gamey taste to them (the dark meat portion).. I get several poultry catalogs, but honestly don't recall any breeds mentioning anything for dark meat production. Try going to http://www.strombergschickens.com/ and ask them for a suggestion.. (Marty's Poultry farm is another good source for information)...
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 16:04:19
The plate of drumsticks is not a bad idea. Interesting question, since you can get a white meat only "bird." Meaning the breasts around the rib cage, so you can still stuff it.
fabulousoyster
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 16:12:39
Maybe a "free range"????? You want a hyper bird, running all the time, never resting.
Turkeys that run around alot, in the legs, wings have dark meat, oxygen pumpin in. Oxygen=dark meat.
Breasts are white cause they don't run around.
Good luck searching.
divefl
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 16:21:34
Do you think you could pass off an ostrich? Very dark meat.
Duesy
Hamburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 16:29:14
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

Do you think you could pass off an ostrich? Very dark meat.

Reminds me of the Far Side where all the Sesame Street characters are gathered around a roasted Big Bird for Thanksgiving.
Jennifer_4
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 17:14:16
I just bought a package of turkey thighs, pretty inexpensive.. you can buy all sorts of separate turkey parts these days.. (We are also buying a half breast to go with the thighe)..I even saw several packages of "turkey tails"...can anyone explain that one to me?
Wannabchef
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 17:39:49
Hi Tumbleweed
The color of the meat is determined by whether the animal actually uses the
muscle or not. Blood enriched tissue is determined by the use of the
tissue and is going to have more blood vessels to provide the nutrients and
oxygen needs by the frequently used muscle. White muscles are not used as
much and the body does not supply a great deal of blood vessels; it would
be wasteful. Turkey legs are dark because the animal uses them a great
deal, while the wings of captive birds breed for human consumption are not
used. Wild turkeys are all dark meet. Not sure where you live, but......

When and Where to Find in Washington
The distribution of Wild Turkeys throughout Washington is spotty due to introductions. The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife can provide more detailed information about release sites. The Rio Grande subspecies can be found in Asotin, Columbia, Garfield, Kittitas, Lincoln, Okanogan, Walla Walla, and Whitman Counties. The eastern subspecies has been released west of the Cascades in Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Thurston, and Wahkiakum Counties. The Merriam's subspecies can be found in Ferry, Klickitat, Pend Oreille, Skamania, and Stevens Counties, and is well established and numerous in the northeast corner of the state (Ferry, Pend Oreille, and Stevens Counties).

Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 17:59:12
Wow, what one can learn around here is amazing.

I think free range is the way we'll go, as I don't see myself hunting one.
Besides I remember my Grandmother plucking and singing the pinfeathers of the Sunday chickens, that is one smell you don't forget! The thought of plucking a turkey....gastly.

Thanks to all for the info, except ostrich guy!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 19:38:48
quote:
Originally posted by Wannabchef

The distribution of Wild Turkeys throughout Washington is spotty due to introductions. The Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife can provide more detailed information about release sites. The Rio Grande subspecies can be found in Asotin, Columbia, Garfield, Kittitas, Lincoln, Okanogan, Walla Walla, and Whitman Counties. The eastern subspecies has been released west of the Cascades in Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Thurston, and Wahkiakum Counties. The Merriam's subspecies can be found in Ferry, Klickitat, Pend Oreille, Skamania, and Stevens Counties, and is well established and numerous in the northeast corner of the state (Ferry, Pend Oreille, and Stevens Counties).

I seriously doubt that Tumbleweed plans to go hunting wild turkeys for Thanksgiving, and I don't believe there are any fall turkey season remaining open anywhere in the United States at this time. Add to that the fact that it is illegal to sell wild turkeys and I figure the idea is pretty unworkable.
Wannabchef
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 20:25:56
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I seriously doubt that Tumbleweed plans to go hunting wild turkeys for Thanksgiving, and I don't believe there are any fall turkey season remaining open anywhere in the United States at this time. Add to that the fact that it is illegal to sell wild turkeys and I figure the idea is pretty unworkable.

It's just information Michael Hoffman - jealous much?
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 20:30:08
I am afraid the only way you will be able to have all dark meat is to buy said parts.I see them on sale at my local store.Otherwise, next year, order all dark meat parts from the butcher ahead of time.
Happy Thanksgiving, and leave Mr.Hoffman alone.He knows of what he speaks.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 20:37:31
quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, I appreciate MH reminding me the season must be over.. We have turkeys comming out of the woodwork left and right around here.. Be my luck blasting a couple (one for the freezer) then having the man come knock on my door..
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 21:04:44
quote:

quote:

quote:

Jealous? Of what? I had a fine fall turkey season, and an even better spring turkey season.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 21:22:34
What time is dinner?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 22:13:20
The two turkeys from spring are long gone, and the fall bird is all cut up and frozen for sometime this winter.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/19 23:57:56
Go to the Diestel website. Scroll down and you will find they sell a boneless dark meat turkey roast, available at Whole Foods Markets (click on store locator).

http://www.diestelturkey.com/products_classic_turkey_spec.htm
Tumbleweed365
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/20 08:21:39
Aww, blasting Tom Turkey on the run sounds like a lot more fun than going to the grocery.
Since Mr Hoffman is only 100 miles up I-71 from me, I may put him in charge of my next year's turkey!
woo hoo, turkey of the hoof

Did anyone see the movie 'Chicken Run'? I'm sort of channeling that right now?
BunnySlippers
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/20 09:11:26
Regarding the turkey tails question .... they are very high in cartilege and make delicious stock for the gravy. I have never heard of anyone eating them though.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Bunny
LindaW
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/20 09:41:27
Bunny,
In my family...we all fight for the tails.....every now and then the market will have a package of just the tails...and then we roast them up....so bad for you...yet sooooo yummy!!!

Enjoy your holiday!!
Linda
Pigiron
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/20 10:04:40
quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

Bunny,
In my family...we all fight for the tails.....every now and then the market will have a package of just the tails...and then we roast them up....so bad for you...yet sooooo yummy!!!

My Grandmother used to make a side dish called Pupiklech which I believe consisted of all the livers, gizzards, heart, tail, and neck of the turkey. My sisters and I would fight over the roasted neck (we actually still do), but the other stuff was more of a delicacy for the old-timers (especially the heart...to me it tasted like a bloody rubber ball...yeccch)
Rusty246
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/20 10:55:15
Has anyone ever taken the cartilage out of the legs before roasting? I believe it was Jaques Pepin I saw do this a long time ago. He snapped off the ends of the legs with pliers, pulled the cartilage "strings" out before roasting. When done all you had was dark meat and A bone. Is this a little anal? I have mixed emotions about trying it.
LindaW
Cheeseburger
RE: Turkey-- dark meat 2007/11/26 12:20:36
was able to get a package of turkey tails yesterday.....roasted them up till crispy good.....