chile vs chili

Author Message
salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
chile vs chili - Wed, 11/21/07 10:24 PM
0
This has no doubt been addressed already, but it always bugs me. A "chile" is a single species of pepper. "Chili" is a Texas-based dish, also now popular in other states. The spelling is kind of important when you want to make yourself understood. I like roasting CHILES. I also like consuming CHILI. Of course, chili has chiles in there, but it seems like the folks reading RoadFood items should not have to be told the difference between the two terms.
-Scott Lindgren
scottlindgren@netzero.com

prius
  • Total Posts : 109
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/10/2004
  • Location: Greensboro, NC
RE: chile vs chili - Wed, 11/21/07 10:41 PM
0
HUH?

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Wed, 11/21/07 10:59 PM
0
Well, to Prius, what does HUH? mean? I just see an awful lot of poor usage of the terms here. Are you saying HUH? because you have not seen what I'm talking about, or what?
This is just a guess on my part, but I think the proper plural form of "chile relleno" would be "CHILES relleno", not "chile rellenos". But I don't know espanol, just what I see on the street here in this dirty town. Los Angeles.
-Scott Lindgren, scottlindgren@netzero.com

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: chile vs chili - Wed, 11/21/07 11:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by salindgren

Well, to Prius, what does HUH? mean? I just see an awful lot of poor usage of the terms here. Are you saying HUH? because you have not seen what I'm talking about, or what?
This is just a guess on my part, but I think the proper plural form of "chile relleno" would be "CHILES relleno", not "chile rellenos". But I don't know espanol, just what I see on the street here in this dirty town. Los Angeles.
-Scott Lindgren, scottlindgren@netzero.com

I like that. CHILES relleno, nor Chili Rellenos.
John Ashroft our Chiles General emeritus
But I thought Tamals were more popular in L.A.

cornfed
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/14/2005
  • Location: atlanta, GA
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 11/22/07 12:02 AM
0
Chillyz

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 11/22/07 10:16 AM
0
Correct would be Chiles Rellenos.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/12/2004
  • Location: Trevor, WI
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 11/22/07 10:33 AM
0
Besides, chili was originally Wyoming based. They used it to keep livestock's hooves from getting cold. Some Texan ate it by mistake.

We know this to be true, because Texans do that to this very day.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 2:44 AM
0
Oh, quit now, Big Ugly Mich. Them's fightin' words. I'm from Dallas. I think it's the folks traveling north from Texas who screwed up the recipes. What I read about Kansas City and Chicago chili sounds pretty odd to me. I don't really know about the rest of the southwest, like AZ and NM, but in LA we have one HUGE chain, Tommy's, that has exploded over the last ten years, just like In 'N Out Burger. They built the empire on chili, funky as it is. I know this is sort of off topic in a way, and arguably not "Mexican". But 90+% of the clients at Tommy's are 100% Latino, OK? I like the chili cheese fries, or, for "lighter" fare, the chili cheese tamale. The dogs suck, and the burgers are just, well, not a patty I want. What I also like about Tommy's is that it's dirt cheap, and they don't gouge for a can of soda, and they'll dump lots of chopped onion on my order, and they have the best brand of those hot little yellow peppers. And always tons of napkins, self service. These guys have been around for decades. Limos pull up sometimes, people in tuxes wait in line. I like it a lot more than Pink's.
But more serious in the chili dept is Chili John's in Burbank. Best I've ever had, and I'm from TX! Really finely chopped beef, not ground. Really hot (or mild if you can't take the hot). Been around since 1919 or so. They bring a bag of a secret recipe of spices every week to the people who make the excellent dogs they serve up. They also feature a nice tamale. And real cheddar. Free refills of soda, in a real glass. I just personally like this finely chopped approach, rather than ground beef, or big old chunks. I don't like anything chunky. Except PB.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 3:05 AM
0
Ah, Texanjoe is most likely correct. Chiles Rellenos. My espanol is limited to stuff I figure out from signage, often scrawled by half literate peasants. Things like "jantas usadas"(sp?) (used tires), "ropas para ninos" (kids clothes), "elote blanca" (white corn), all kinds of stuff like that.
To Bill Voss, I guess I have seen the spelling "tamal" instead of "tamale". I don't know what's more "correct". But it usually seems to be tamale, on menus. Of course we gringos say tah-mah-ly. I like it when I hear a gringo say tor-till-uh.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/20/2002
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 9:35 AM
0
Here in the Louisville area it can be fun listening to the rurals asking for a "TAY-KO" (Think PAY-KO)!
But even in SoCal Spanish gets corrupted frequently. Often when teaching in the High Schools there I would announce an examination to my bi-lingual class in both English and Spanish.... the Spanish being, "Today we will Take-o un Testicle" The students seemed to get the message immediately, and with a smile.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/23/2007
  • Location: washington, DC
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 10:36 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by salindgren

My espanol is limited to stuff I figure out from signage, often scrawled by half literate peasants.


Yep, you're about the type of mindless person I expect to get a bug up his a$$ about a typo. I seriously doubt anyone here is writing chile but meaning a big bowl of goodness as I am sure you didn't mean to imply there are only "half literate peasants" by you who write signs in Spanish. And since the thread has no context, I can't tell. If you are that sure that the misspelling is due to a person not knowing what a chile is, why not address it in the thread where you see the mistake.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17817
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 1:14 PM
0
And people jump on me?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/20/2002
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 1:27 PM
0
If you feel left out Michael, say something stupid in Spanish and I will flame you and then lock the thread before a war can break out.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/23/2007
  • Location: washington, DC
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 1:57 PM
0
Admittedly, I jumped on him for being oblivious to how offensive he was after acting like chile/chili was the end of the culinary world.

I feel my interactions with you, Hoffman, are pure entertainment. And although I may disagree with your definitions sometimes, you usually don't throw in some bs about all german butchers you deal with being nazis or something to that effect. But, it's nice Scott is taking the time to pick up the lanuage of the local peasants. Half literate though they may be and half brained that he may be.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17817
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 3:22 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

If you feel left out Michael, say something stupid in Spanish and I will flame you and then lock the thread before a war can break out.

My Spanish is sadly lacking -- after sopapilla I'm finished. How about if I say something stupid in English? I'm good at that.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17817
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 3:24 PM
0
Ah, divefl, I wasn't being critical of your post. I was, in my curmudgeonly manner, applauding it. But I don't deal with German butchers. The only butchers I deal with are Italian fascists.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 8:55 PM
0
Woof! Good lord, divefl is really upset with me. I guess it's the word peasant that set him off. Excuse the hell out of me. But you should see the crazy signage that I see in south central LA. And I THOUGHT I was poking fun at myself for not knowing much spanish. Jeez. Bite off my cabeza. I guess you'll only find a half brain in there.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/23/2007
  • Location: washington, DC
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 9:27 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ah, divefl, I wasn't being critical of your post. I was, in my curmudgeonly manner, applauding it. But I don't deal with German butchers. The only butchers I deal with are Italian fascists.


Never took it as such. I don't understand you all the time, but I think I've gotten a hang of you. Just wanted you to know I wasn't coming back at you but really did have and issue with the poster.

Nice try at the 'who me', Scott. It was not the word it was your categorization of a certain sign writers as half literate peasants (hey, wonder if they happen to be hispanic). If you meant no harm, you really should pay attention to what you are saying as it can come across as thoughtless and bigoted. You wouldn't want that.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: chile vs chili - Thu, 12/6/07 10:34 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by salindgren

Oh, quit now, Big Ugly Mich. Them's fightin' words. I'm from Dallas. I think it's the folks traveling north from Texas who screwed up the recipes. What I read about Kansas City and Chicago chili sounds pretty odd to me. I don't really know about the rest of the southwest, like AZ and NM, but in LA we have one HUGE chain, Tommy's, that has exploded over the last ten years, just like In 'N Out Burger. They built the empire on chili, funky as it is. I know this is sort of off topic in a way, and arguably not "Mexican". But 90+% of the clients at Tommy's are 100% Latino, OK? I like the chili cheese fries, or, for "lighter" fare, the chili cheese tamale. The dogs suck, and the burgers are just, well, not a patty I want. What I also like about Tommy's is that it's dirt cheap, and they don't gouge for a can of soda, and they'll dump lots of chopped onion on my order, and they have the best brand of those hot little yellow peppers. And always tons of napkins, self service. These guys have been around for decades. Limos pull up sometimes, people in tuxes wait in line. I like it a lot more than Pink's.
But more serious in the chili dept is Chili John's in Burbank. Best I've ever had, and I'm from TX! Really finely chopped beef, not ground. Really hot (or mild if you can't take the hot). Been around since 1919 or so. They bring a bag of a secret recipe of spices every week to the people who make the excellent dogs they serve up. They also feature a nice tamale. And real cheddar. Free refills of soda, in a real glass. I just personally like this finely chopped approach, rather than ground beef, or big old chunks. I don't like anything chunky. Except PB.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net


Scott just remember, KC was where the Trails and Cattle from Texas and the Spices And Riches from Santa Fe met the Riverboats from New Orleans and Memphis.
they didn't screw it up, just made it better

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 2:41 AM
0
Ah, what a world of hurt I stepped into here. Okay , for divefl, let me give you a little background, I grew up working with latinos. From the time I was about 14, in restaurants, in TX. I have lived in the most intensely latino part of LA since 1985. If I disliked latinos, why would I do that? I have a passion for Tex-Mex food. I eat chiles every blessed day. I go to Mexican transvestite bars, for crissake (with my girlfriend). You know, Bill Handel on KFI AM 640 is a Jew. He says the most terrible, awful things about Jews, his wife, everyone, a la Don Rickles. You get where I'm coming from here? I like to make fun of my gringo status.
And BTW, when people misspell what I started talking about here, it is NOT a typo, it's ignorance.
For Bill Voss... Well, I'm sure you have a point about KC. I've never been. What I'm saying is that a LOT of what I read about chili in KC sounds really ODD to me. Maybe someone can explain.
Allright, as Al-The Mayor-Bowen suggests, war is not the answer. As for something dumb en espanol, try this out: "Por que no te callas?"
-Scott Lindgren, Your Offensive Half Brain

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 3:01 AM
0
Oh, BTW, I also refer to myself as a cracker, poor white trash, a honkie, OK? Does that molify divefl?
-SL

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 8:38 AM
0
Scott, remember, we only give trouble to those we like, and are surely serious rarely.
And don't call me Shirley.
1/2 my family's from between San Angelo and Austin, so I have much experience harrassing Tejanos
It's just sport on here.
...and Texas Chili is some good stuff, we just can't admit it

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 9:13 AM
0
If they'd just learn how to put beans in it, then it'd be purrrrrrfect.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 11:35 AM
0
To Bill Voss, thanks for the sentiment. But somehow I don't think divefl is giving me trouble on account of he likes me.
-SL

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/26/2001
  • Location: Batavia, OH
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 12:22 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

If you feel left out Michael, say something stupid in Spanish and I will flame you and then lock the thread before a war can break out.


"Una Cosa Estupida"

Like that?

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/4/2005
  • Location: Crofton, MD
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 2:39 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by salindgren

Ah, what a world of hurt I stepped into here. Okay , for divefl, let me give you a little background, I grew up working with latinos. From the time I was about 14, in restaurants, in TX. I have lived in the most intensely latino part of LA since 1985. If I disliked latinos, why would I do that? I have a passion for Tex-Mex food. I eat chiles every blessed day. I go to Mexican transvestite bars, for crissake (with my girlfriend). You know, Bill Handel on KFI AM 640 is a Jew. He says the most terrible, awful things about Jews, his wife, everyone, a la Don Rickles. You get where I'm coming from here? I like to make fun of my gringo status.
And BTW, when people misspell what I started talking about here, it is NOT a typo, it's ignorance.
For Bill Voss... Well, I'm sure you have a point about KC. I've never been. What I'm saying is that a LOT of what I read about chili in KC sounds really ODD to me. Maybe someone can explain.
Allright, as Al-The Mayor-Bowen suggests, war is not the answer. As for something dumb en espanol, try this out: "Por que no te callas?"
-Scott Lindgren, Your Offensive Half Brain


If it's a question, then:
¿Por qué no te callas?


quote:
Originally posted by salindgren
A "chile" is a single species of pepper. "Chili" is a Texas-based dish, also now popular in other states



Actually, your definitions are not absolute (and not entirely correct).
First, "chile" does not refer to a "species." It is one spelling that describes a "genus" of peppers.

Second, "chili" is also a proper spelling which also refers to the genus Capsicum. In Mexico, it was originally chilli (or in Nahuatl: xilli).

so, in fact, there is much more to "chili" than merely a "Texas-based" dish.

getting obstinate about it is ridiculous.


1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/7/07 8:04 PM
0

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Sat, 12/8/07 8:34 AM
0
Huh. Well Scorereader has actually provided helpful and presumably authoritative info. Thanks! Well... OK, genus. But isn't a serrano, say, or a habanero a particular species? I'm no biologist. I don't mean to be obstinate, it's just funny when people say chile, or chille, when they mean a bowl of chili. Ya know? The stuff that's a nice meal when it's chilly.
I know, I know, the upside down question mark, I just don't know how to get it on my keyboard! Not an item I need everyday. I guess I should figure that out, along with that squigly thing over the N, and umlauts.
Isn't there an upside down ! also?

-Scott Lindgren

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/28/07 6:32 PM
0
Salin, I'm from Dallas also. Hmmm, that livestock chili sounds kinda good to me! And I thought I knew every chili recipe$%&* after some research I think they still serve it in Fort Worth maybe down around the stockyards?
Joe

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/22/2000
  • Location: Columbus, OH
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/28/07 6:58 PM
0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think tamal is the singular and tamales is the plural. I'm not fluent nor even close to being fluent in Spanish but I agree with the spelling of chile(s) and chili (the dish); and am fairly certain about the singular and plural spelling of tamal(tamales).

Donna

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/28/07 7:38 PM
0
You are correct Donna.

salindgren
  • Total Posts : 275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/18/2007
  • Location: Los Angeles, CA
RE: chile vs chili - Fri, 12/28/07 11:34 PM
0
Yeah, I think Donna is right, too, on what she says. I think in cafes, you are often served one big TAMAL, or a plate with more, i.e. TAMALES, right? It's still surprises me that after all these decades there is still a little confusion about some of these terms. It's funny too that ARROZ is a singular word like RICE, I guess. FRIJOLES is is still plural. So the grammar is not always so different.

-Scott Lindgren

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 2:28 PM
0
Salin, us Texans have certain liberties with the English and Spanish languages. Soooo, you can say it however you want, kinda sorta.

Fat stock show goin in Ft. Worth. Sorry for everyone not here to enjoy some great cow hoof chili!
Joe

jimsock9
  • Total Posts : 285
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/10/2008
  • Location: cloud lake, FL
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 2:47 PM
0
Hey, isn't it "Roadfood"...not "RoadFood", as in the original post here?

" it seems like the folks reading RoadFood items should not have to be told the difference between the two terms."


brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2007
  • Location: Austin, TX
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 2:48 PM
0
Chile....chili.... who cares, pass me a bowl of menudo.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 2:54 PM
0
Menudo, mmmmm. And some Coldo De Res. Hmm, that may need it's own thread?
Joe

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2007
  • Location: Austin, TX
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 3:00 PM
0
Makes a Saturday morning at Jalisco's in Imperial Beach really special, with some cilantro, lime,onions, oregano and a few jalapino slices with a couple flout tortlla's. Gotta have a Tecate too.

jimsock9
  • Total Posts : 285
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/10/2008
  • Location: cloud lake, FL
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 3:02 PM
0
Oooh yeah....chilly with lots of chunckie tomados in it!

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: chile vs chili - Tue, 01/29/08 3:06 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Menudo, mmmmm. And some Coldo De Res. Hmm, that may need it's own thread?
Joe


Caldo with oxtails or those big marrowy bones to suck clean?

Better hurry while its still cold, it tastes better.

joe