Moroccan Brewat

Junior Burger
2007/11/23 02:30:09
I lived in Orlando a few years back and had the luxury of season passes, so the wife and I would go there often, sometimes just to eat and nothing more. I loved some of the restaurants at EPCOT, like Akershus, Biergarten, and Marrakesh, hardly your standard park fare.

One of the items on the menu at Marrakesh was this wonderful appetizer called Brewat - it was seasoned meat (beef for sure, maybe some lamb as well) with a sweet AND savory spice mixture, wrapped in a light pastry and fried till krispy. It was then dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon.

My question is this, is this a true Moroccan dish or a Disney concoction? Is perhaps ‘Brewat” a renamed version of something else? I loved them but have never been able to find them elsewhere.
brittneal
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Moroccan Brewat 2007/11/23 02:53:47
I worked in a place owned by a Morrocan in Denver. Brewat was on the menu. He was very secretive. All his spice blends were premixed(by him and labeled in gibberish-but numbered for me). His was ground beef mixed with #2 and placed in a 3" square triple thickness of phyllo and folded over into a triangle. Then egg wash and bake.
I ran his small place in Golden while he tried to get his big reseurant in running in a Best Western. He refused to serve pork and breakfaast was his big meal. He lost that place and fired me from his one man kitchen.
britt
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Moroccan Brewat 2007/11/23 19:34:37
Briout, Briaout or Brewat, are very authentic Moroccan and Tunisian pastries. Most are fried, some are baked. The filling possibilities are endless. One of my favorites is a savory onion, herb and vegetable filling topped with a raw egg. You fold the phyllo over and seal it gently, then fry it. The egg cooks to a soft boiled stage with the savory vegetable filling quite well done. It's almost like a soft cooked omelette in very cripsy pastry dusted with powdered sugar and cinnamon.