How Do You Like Your Hot Dog?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 143
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
  • Reward points : 0
How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 9:14 AM
The Hot Dog no doubt is The All American Food. We can argue pizza, hamburgers, chili etc. But one must agree that the Hot Dog rules as #1. Its regional variations and versions are really amazing. Whether it be mustard, chili, mayonnaise, relish, cheese, bacon or God forbid Ketchup. The ways they are served across the country are astounding. Even the cooking methods are different from the Deep Fried Rippers, Griddle top classics, Boiled in beer, Chicken broth, or Water. Heck when I was in college I used to electrify them with an extension cord and a couple forks in my dorm. One thing stands true Everyone has a favorite and most stand behind there version to the death and long for there return home to relive the Hot Dog of there youth. As long as I live, travel, and try many of the styles across this country I will always be a Detroit Coney advocate as the best version. As would a Chicago native continue to run it thru the garden with a little celery salt on top. (a version I love also) I also think that all of us Hot Dog addicts have tried to duplicate the versions we treasure most. If you could explain how you eat your Hot Dog. How you prepare it. What is the best place or Restaurant to get it? And post your recipe if you have one. I will be looking forward to your replies. Have Fun Russ
<message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 03/11/10 9:09 AM>

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 9:32 AM
Oh dear....I'm afraid I'm one of those God Forbid ketchup people! Along with mustard, raw onion, kraut, and special sauce (Greek coney-type sauce). It's not so much about the cooking method here in Alabama as it is the toppings, espcially the sauce.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 10:09 AM
Grilled or steamed---split top bun--Gouldens--or Cajun--mustard--chopped onion and piccalli or chow chow--spicy!---oh--i forgot--NOT Skinless!!! Natural casing dogs please!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7411
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 10:13 AM
Hebrew National/Sabrett or Nathan's Hot Dog with Hebew National Mustard, Sauerkraut and Red Onion Sauce (or Grilled Onions)

Mayonnaise on a Hot Dog??

Oh yes, the bizarre folks back in Seattle used to do that!

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 11:34 AM
My fav. is a hot dog with ketsup slaw. Made by grating a small cabbage, grating up a small onion, and adding ketsup and a little vinegar. Ketsup slaw is very popular here in Huntsville. Next, I like mine with mustard, onions and pickle relish.

And, why is it hotdogs taste so much better out? I fix them a lot at home, but they just don't taste the same as if I were at a ballgame or any other outdoor event. Even the ones at the mall food court taste better (at least to me).

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 11:49 AM
Grilled over an open flame with mustard and chili. And, I really don't agree that the hot dog rules as number one. That's really not a statement that is automatic.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 12:11 PM
I'll agree with that, Dive.
Hot Dogs are an Northern/East Coast thing.
West of the Mississippi, you could drive for days and never see a stand.
Hamburgers are a universal treat across America. Hot Dogs are not.

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 12:42 PM
North Carolina style! chili, slaw, onions and mustard.

But I agree, the ones I make at home are never as good
as the ones I get out. No idea why.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 12:55 PM
Grilled, mustard and raw onions are they way I eat them at home.

Out, I like "meat" sauce, onion and mustard. I also like a good Chicago dog or what I like to call a "garbage can dog", this is one with everything but ketchup!....mustard, onion, relish, meat sauce, and kraut.

My favorite dog is from a shop called Laskaris in Lewistown, Pa.

Bill says "Hot Dogs are an Northern/East Coast thing. West of the Mississippi, you could drive for days and never see a stand."

I agree that the hotdog is #1, there may not be any "stands" west of the Mississippi, doesn't mean folks aren't eating hotdogs......by the millions!!!

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 1:09 PM
How can you say no Hot Dogs west of the Mississippi? There are hundreds if not thousands in many of those states? California with Pinks,The famous foot long Dodger Dog, the 99 cent world renowned at Slots-of Fun in Vegas, Puka Dog in Hawaii or the over 350 Wienerschnitzel locations all of which I believe are in west of the Mississippi states. Dont get me wrong I Love Hamburgers and that is a whole seperate forum. I also heard that Papaya King the famous establishment out of New York the best dog east of Detroit is going to expand out west. Just having fun enjoy all.

seatown76
  • Total Posts : 379
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 1:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

How can you say no Hot Dogs west of the Mississippi? There are hundreds if not thousands in many of those states? California with Pinks,The famous foot long Dodger Dog, the 99 cent world renowned at Slots-of Fun in Vegas, Puka Dog in Hawaii or the over 350 Wienerschnitzel locations all of which I believe are in west of the Mississippi states. Dont get me wrong I Love Hamburgers and that is a whole seperate forum. I also heard that Papaya King the famous establishment out of New York the best dog east of Detroit is going to expand out west. Just having fun enjoy all.

Someone has been watching too much Travel Channel food shows.

Just kidding.

But in all seriousness I somewhat agree with the Northern/East statement and I am from the left coast and a native of the Seattle area. Not a good "random" hot dog stand to be found and no regional hot dog specialties on the west coast as well.

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 1:31 PM
Actually I have eaten all of those many times except Puka Dog.
But I am really looking for relish combinations,Chili concoctions,Mustard brands,West Virginia Slaw recipes. And believe it or not 7-11 years ago had a great chili cheese dog. I cant vouch for it today but in the late 80s it was top quality.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 1:55 PM
After I boil them up for a few minutes for the kids, I take a few out and pan fry them in butter till they are blistered and almost black. Delish.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 2:08 PM
Fab - my mom use to always boil our hotdogs and every once in a while I do this too. But, my fav. way at home is to pan fry them in a little olive oil.

When my son was little when we would go to cookouts my son would ask "why are we the only ones that don't burn hotdogs when they are grilled?" Seems that a lot of people like them burnt and crisp.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 3:24 PM
My favorite: a New York Kosher-style dog, slowly grilled on a flat griddle. Served with mustard and coarse, fresh hot sauerkraut. My favorite places to get them: Nathan's owned and operated restaurants, Papaya King, Gray's Papaya. The same as my mother used to buy for me as a kid from Coral Drinks on Fulton Street in Brooklyn.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2202
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 3:43 PM
Lately, I've been putting homemade red cabbage (the sweet/sour stuff) on my hot dogs. It's kind of like sauerkraut and relish combined. I also like thin-sliced Polish dill pickles and pepper relish. Whatever the toppings, they always include a good mustard. Never ketchup. pb

jettababs
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 4:05 PM
I'm partial to the tiny steamed hot dogs Skyline serves. About 2/3 the size of a regular hot dog, with Skyline chili ladled on top, and about a cup of shredded cheddar mounded on top. And then hot sauce sprinkled on top of that. Since they're so small, you need at least two. Yum!

djtomatoe
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 4:24 PM
i like nathans with mustard and cole slaw and some onion,,,,NO KETCHUP!!!

i have people come to my hot dog stand [in eugene, oregon...west coast] , and ask for mayo...yikes!!!!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17853
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 4:57 PM
Split, grilled, in a toasted bun and topped with dark mustard, relish and warm sauerkraut -- sometimes with chopped onions below the sauerkraut.

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 6:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jettababs

I'm partial to the tiny steamed hot dogs Skyline serves. About 2/3 the size of a regular hot dog, with Skyline chili ladled on top, and about a cup of shredded cheddar mounded on top. And then hot sauce sprinkled on top of that. Since they're so small, you need at least two. Yum!

Have you ever tried Camp Washington or Dixie Chili in northern Kentucky?

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 6:33 PM
My fave is with chili and cheese, but I also favor hot relish, mustard, or anything spicy on top. I love New England-style buns that're grilled on both sides, but I also love pillow-soft steamed ones, too. As long as it's good, I'll try them all!

Barney
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 8:59 PM
Hot dogs are one of my favorite eats! Especially love them with some good homemade chili, mustard, double minced onions and several splashes of Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce. Buns must be warm, either toasted or steamed. Serve 'em with some good baked beans, too! Judy

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9811
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 10:19 PM
I never thought I would be saying this, but the Southern dogs at Hocutt's in West Virginia are so good, I am learning to love cole slaw as a topping. Still, it is hard to beat just chili, mustard and onion.

tames
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Thu, 11/29/07 10:26 PM
Theres a joint in Columbus Ohio that I love called Village Coney. They serve a dog with bbq sauce, french fries and shredded motzarella all in the bun - it's awesome! I usually get at least two.

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 7:32 AM
Slow cooked on a flat griddle, then scored for the final heating.

Yellow mustard, onion, and chili (and sometimes slaw, making it NC style dog). This is about the only thing I use regular French's yellow mustard on, any other style dog combo of toppings, or mustard only, I'd use a brown mustard.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 7:45 AM
My favorite are chicago style.But in the absence of those ingredients,I like a Hebrew National,grilled or pan fried, with a good coarse brown mustard...

jettababs
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 11:10 AM
quote:

quote:

Not yet, but those places are high on my list of places to try! I keep running out of time every time I'm down there--next time it will be top priority.

seatown76
  • Total Posts : 379
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 12:56 PM
quote:

Actually I have eaten all of those many times except Puka Dog.
But I am really looking for relish combinations,Chili concoctions,Mustard brands,West Virginia Slaw recipes. And believe it or not 7-11 years ago had a great chili cheese dog. I cant vouch for it today but in the late 80s it was top quality.

I remember the Hot Dogs from 7-11 as well. Back in the early 80's they actually had decent food such as the hot dogs and they had really good pre-made sandwiches as well.

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 3:17 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not yet, but those places are high on my list of places to try! I keep running out of time every time I'm down there--next time it will be top priority.

You can order Dixie Chili online http://www.dixiechili.com/ I think it is by far the best Cincinnati style chili and holds up very well in the can. Once you try this stuff you will never use Hormel again.

LegalLady
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 3:22 PM
Not at all!

Judge Jean

mollydingle
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 4:07 PM
I like Kayem's or Essem's grilled with beans and cheese or a schmear of mustard or a dash of catsup. Yeah, I'm uncouth.

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2658
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 4:25 PM
I like 'em so many ways...Chicago style first, then - slaw dogs, chili dogs with onions, chili dogs with onion and cheese, then all others. Exception - never tried the Rutt's Hut deep fried variety our NJ friends often speak of.

1bbqboy
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 4:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LegalLady

Not at all!

Judge Jean

The Judge speaks the truth

pmrkr2
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 4:40 PM
i like em from gray's papaya (NYC, corner of broadway & 72nd st). one well done with mustard n kraut the other well done with mustard n onions (in that sweet red sauce). two with a pina colada (non alchohol) for $2.95 can't be beat. mmmmm good

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 5:16 PM
I'm sure this topic must have been covered in a previous thread. If not, mine would be a Sabrett in the natural casing with mustard and stewed onions. NY (pushcart) style.
I also love mustard and saurkraut. Whie passing through Chicago (O'hare) a few weeks ago, I just had to try a "Chicago" dog. Sorry, too much on it! I prefer my NY style anytime.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 6:21 PM
I just had a bad hotdog at an office gathering. I could not put enough on it to hide the fact that it was a bad hot dog.

ShellysDawgHouse
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 7:31 PM
I love a hebrew national grilled on a flat grill w/ mustard, relish and kraut. YUM-O
Juicy juicy juicy!!

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Fri, 11/30/07 7:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

I just had a bad hotdog at an office gathering. I could not put enough on it to hide the fact that it was a bad hot dog.

THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN A CHEAP HOT DOG!

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 2:38 AM
Hello All,
I am a sick person...I like my hot dogs plain.
If I feel daring, I like kraut on them.
I want a soft warm bun in which the dog sinks into.
And I like fries, not chips with them.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 3:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples My favorite are chicago style.But in the absence of those ingredients,I like a Hebrew National,grilled or pan fried, with a good coarse brown mustard...
My favorite is also Chicago Style, but without the pickles and peppers. I do like 'em with cucumbers, which I first had in Chicago, but can't find lately unless I do it myself. I'm also partial to some gutsy mustard instead of yellow yuck.

Of course, that's just my FAVORITE. One thing I'll do when I make 'em on the grill is fry up some onions and green peppers with mustard to make a sort of slaw. That's one of those "just me" things, though. As much as I hate pickled anything, I've had some good fruit based relishes on my dogs, too. Mango is great, even if I made it. Ketchup is out if there's a ripe tomato to be had.

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 7:49 AM
Beef natural casing? Chicago style, or just kraut , mustard, and onions.

Mixed meat? Coney style with mustard and lots onions. Psssssst....(just a pinch of cinnamon too! Thanks Vic!)

rainroosty
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 9:06 AM
Steamy hot with ketchup and onions!!!

porkbeaks
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 9:51 AM
"Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me — the shootings, the knifings, the beatings... old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks. Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody... I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog." Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 9:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

"Nah, this stuff isn't getting to me — the shootings, the knifings, the beatings... old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks. Nah, that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hot dogs. Nobody... I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog." Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)

porkbeaks YOU ARE MY HERO

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 10:06 AM
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM Nobody ever said it better. This is for the individuals that put the K stuff on a Hot Dog. Have a great Day!

porkbeaks
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 10:25 AM
Then there's this opinion from Dave Barry, "you stop putting ketchup on hot dogs when you're about 11."

porkbeaks
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sat, 12/1/07 10:56 AM
For those folks who like their hot dogs grilled, but don't really want the grill marks.

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 11:10 AM
quote:

For those folks who like their hot dogs grilled, but don't really want the grill marks.

Thats sick

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 12:10 PM
quote:

LOL!

rainroosty
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 2:37 PM
and then there's the whining little sissyboys who think they're oh-so-manly because they don't like ketchup....god, I'm gonna puke.

Russ Jackson
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 3:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

and then there's the whining little sissyboys who think they're oh-so-manly because they don't like ketchup....god, I'm gonna puke.

This is the video of Dirty Harry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

porkbeaks
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 5:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

It was probably the Lloyd's ribs.

phatphil
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 7:00 PM
mustard onion relish pickle tomato and a dash of celery salt on a poppy seed bun,oh and 2 sport peppers

or chicago style lol

1bbqboy
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 7:34 PM
as long as you don't want toast!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 8:04 PM
In recent years I have graduated to the ranks of those that appreciate a better quality of dog - Hebrew National and Nathans I can get in the local stores, Boar's Head I can get at a deli, and a pretty good all beef can be had at the local Hardee's. Since I'm a Southern gal, I like my dogs Southern-style: warm bun, mustard, onion, chili (preferably my homemade recipe), and some coleslaw and....it has to be constructed in that order. The chili and slaw help keep the onions inside the bun and not falling out everywhere. But I'm an "equal opportunity" hot dog fan and like them with mustard and kraut or just plain with mustard, relish and onion if nothing else is available. When I was a teenager we would get hot dogs stuffed with a slice of American cheese, wrapped in a slice of bacon and grilled. Those were good too....is there a name for this style?

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 8:25 PM
Give me a Usinger natural casing hot dog with mustard, stewed onions, raw onions, chili, ketchup, pickles, relish, slaw and sport peppers; now hold the mustard, hold the relish, hold the stewed onions and hold the chili, please.

1bbqboy
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Sun, 12/2/07 9:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tcrouzer

In recent years I have graduated to the ranks of those that appreciate a better quality of dog - Hebrew National and Nathans I can get in the local stores, Boar's Head I can get at a deli, and a pretty good all beef can be had at the local Hardee's. Since I'm a Southern gal, I like my dogs Southern-style: warm bun, mustard, onion, chili (preferably my homemade recipe), and some coleslaw and....it has to be constructed in that order. The chili and slaw help keep the onions inside the bun and not falling out everywhere. But I'm an "equal opportunity" hot dog fan and like them with mustard and kraut or just plain with mustard, relish and onion if nothing else is available. When I was a teenager we would get hot dogs stuffed with a slice of American cheese, wrapped in a slice of bacon and grilled. Those were good too....is there a name for this style?

LA or Mexican style?

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Mon, 12/3/07 12:28 AM
Chicago Style first and then mustard, relish, onions,and kraut! Sorry, Katsup does not belong on a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David O.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Mon, 12/3/07 5:36 AM
Hello All,
While, I stated, I like my dogs plain...I just love the way tcrouzer described the
way she likes her dogs.
It would be a joy to share a dog with her.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

wmceaton
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: How Do You Like Your Hot Dog? - Mon, 12/3/07 6:59 AM
Grilled roll, a natural casing dog topped with spicy brown mustard, relish & Texas Petes hot sauce...sometimes throw some coleslaw on it as well.

Favorite Place: Boston Speeds (Boston, MA)

Favorite Place #2: Larry's Steamed Dogs (Townsend, MA)

Favorite Brand: Essem or Pearl Natural Casing

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 143