Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location

Change Page: 123456789 > | Showing page 1 of 9, messages 1 to 60 of 491
wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
  • Reward points : 0
Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 10:28 AM
I thought I would start this new thread. Roadfood is about experiencing something new and unique or the best of the best. I know there was a similar but very different thread about food that represents your state. However what are regional food that represents your city, neighborhood, or a regional part of a state or a regional part of the country? How many times do we go to a local restaurant and find something on the menu that we've never seen before, and then discover it's something unique to the area. Where are the best restaurants that we can find these unique (or not so unique) regional treasures???

Oop's, I thought I would go first, but forgot to contribute. I'll go with the NYC area, since this is where I grew up and spent the first 27 years of my life. I grew up on Long Island in a town with a large Jewish population and a decent sized italian population. We had bagels Knishes, Chopped Liver, Farfel, Potato Pudding, Kasha Varnishkes, Hebrew National Dogs with Sauerkraut and brown mustard, Corned Beef or Pastrami on rye, kischkes, tsimmis, matzoh ball soup, egg creams, rugelach and Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda....On the other hand we had thin crust pizza's by the slice, heros, garlic knots, sausage rolls, calzones, zeppoles, and cannolis. And who can forget Manhattan Clam Chowder

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 11:10 AM
Shalom WJ. Interesting topic. Rochester is well known for white hots (hot dog made from pork and veal only, no beef), and Nick Tahoe's garbage plates. A few other things we may not be known for, or may be less regional than we believe are Rochester style chicken wings, which differ from the typical Buffalo wings by being smothered in a thick syrupy sauce based on honey, mustard, and vinegar. This sauce served at many local establishments is based on the original Smitty's Birdland sauce. Smitty (Snuffy) Smith would deep fry one half a chicken in a fryer, then dip it into a vat of this sauce (choice of mild, or hot with some extra hot pepper flakes). Typically served on top of a slice of white bread to soak up extra sauce, with side of baked beans and macaroni salad.

There are several local places specializing in this style of chicken, although the original Smitty's has been gone for years. Sal's Birdland and Tony's Birdland are two of the best.

Another so-called regional food I love is Chicken (or veal) French. Served at most italian restaurants, it is a thin breast breaded with egg wash and crumbs, then sauted in a lemon white wine (or sherry) sauce. I never thought this was a local dish, but a recent article in the local paper claims it is not often found outside the Rochester area.

Can't wait to hear about the other Rood Fooders local favorites. You folks always get my mouth watering and give interesting idea's for things to try when traveling.

M&M
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 12:14 PM
Toasted ravoli, St. Paul sandwich, pork steaks all unique St. Louis favorites.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 12:19 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is browned butter. It's not drawn butter but butter that has been heated to have the milk solids browned. Order steamed clams, lobster, or a crabmeat cocktail in a local restaurant and that's what you'll be likely to get in that little stainless steel cup. Some old-time restaurants like the Willows in East Texas, PA will even serve it over vegetables. I'm not sure how far-ranging it is but I'd be interested to know if it's common in your area.

Mayhaw Man
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 12:23 PM
South Louisiana.

Boudin blanc
Boudin rouge
Shrimp Creole
Ettoufee
Jambalaya
Tasso
Andouille
Gumbo (in all of it's many variations)
Nachitoches Meat Pies (not south, but central LA)
Beignets (not unique, but ubiquitos)

hilldweller
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 1:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I grew up on Long Island in a town with a large Jewish population and a decent sized italian population.

Did you grow up in Matzohpizza?

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 1:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hilldweller

quote:

I grew up on Long Island in a town with a large Jewish population and a decent sized italian population.

No, Merrick.

hilldweller
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 1:25 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

No, Merrick.

Me too. Didn't everyone in Merrick call Massapequa "Matzhopizza?"

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 1:30 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, Merrick.

Oh yes, brings back memories!

Me too. Didn't everyone in Merrick call Massapequa "Matzhopizza?"

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 2:02 PM
CHICAGO AREA: paper-thin pizza crust, Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago-style hotdogs, gyros, saganaki ("flaming cheese"--supposedly invented at the Parthenon in Chicago's Greektown), "thin" chili (similar to the kind served at Wendy's), a kind of casserole called something like "Mazzetti"?, which everybody's mom had a version of (elbow macaroni, canned tomatoes, hamburger, onion combined and baked in the oven is a typical version)

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 2:41 PM
This subject brings two regional specialties to mind. Since I live in Washington, D.C., which is near the Chesapeake Bay, the first is steamed hard shell blue crabs. I have spent many a happy hour seated at a table covered with newspaper with a pile of well-seasoned crabs before me and a wooden mallet or nutcracker, a few ice-cold beers and good friends to keep me company. The best local places that I have found to enjoy this delicacy are Cameron's Seafood Market, 8807 Central Avenue, Capitol Heights, Maryland, 301-350-7100 (which is just off the Washington DC beltway portion of I-95, exit 15) and Ernie's Crabhouse at 4305 Bladensburg Rd. in Brentwood, Maryland (301-779-4305). Cameron's has other locations throughout the D.C. area, and their other dishes are also very good (try the ultimate seafood platter).

The second regional specialty is one that I encountered during several trips on routes I-79 and US-50 through western West Virginia. It is the pepperoni roll, which, as the name implies, consists of sticks of pepperoni baked into rolls. Although bags of them are sold at local convenience stores, the best are available at places that bake them on the premises, such as Colassesano's (sp?) and the Country Club Bakery in Fairmont, WV and Tomaro's in Clarksburg, WV. All of these places are reviewed by the Sterns on the website. Colasessano's is my favorite because theirs are bigger and can be ordered with other fillings such as peppers, tomato sauce and cheese. Delicious!

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 2:45 PM
I grew up in a samll town outside of Boston so as you can guess we had all the traditional New England dishes that are allways talked about ,but i remember one that i only saw in one resteraunt ever---Berched chicken----it was Killer!!!The specialty of the House at Ma Glockners---see the review section for aSterns eye view---it was roasted first---we3ry slowly and finished off on a grill with a heavey weight press that gave it a great crispy outside and melt in your mouth inside---we used to go about once a month when i was real young--then for a while we lived right down the street and could walk down there and get dinner--my mom got out of cooking one meal a week then! Also, most of the folks we knew were hunters---especially pheasant--and a locaql favorite at club meetings and gatherings was pheasaqnt caccitore----my mouth waters just thinking about it!!!

Another item i only ever saw in one place was something called "Scalone"--it was served in a small inn in Capitola Calif---by Santa Cruz----cant remeber the name of it though-not wanting to waste even the smallest bits of abalone, the cooks would take all the tiny scraps and mix the with diced scallops and form into a flat patty the they would bread and fry---it was AWESOME---they had it either as a sandwich at lunch or served with a sauce at dinner. Wish i had THAT recipe!! If anyone else has had it--can you remember the name of the resteraunt??

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 2:55 PM
I grew up in Niagara Falls, outside of Buffalo. So, naturally, chicken wings (what everyone else seems to call Buffalo wings, ironically) were/are a big deal, as is the blue cheese that goes with it (Rootie's being my personal favorite.)

Another, almost equally big deal is the beef on weck sandwich which, unlike wings, have not expanded beyond the area as far as I can tell. Beef on weck is roast beef, usually topped with horse radish, on a kimmelweck roll. A kimmelweck roll is a thick, bready, highly salted roll. They are very popular in Western NY. Much like Rochester, hot dogs are also very popular near Buffalo. A brand called Sahlen (sic) is popular, and a true roadfood-type restaurant called Ted's serves the only hot dogs I've ever cared about; char-grilled.

Another area food I don't often see elsewhere is sponge candy. Not too sure how to explain what it is: chocolate covered, and kind of sticky and, yes, spongy, inside. Jello shots are also more popular there than they seem to be elsewhere (i.e., make Jello, replaced water with vodka.)

Finally, I notice I get funny looks here when I put vinegar on my fries. At least, I THINK that's why people are looking at me funny. Back home, a decent number of people eat them that way, which I think is the Canadian influence (who were themselves influenced by the Brits, I suppose.)

Berndog, I can't believe you discussed Rochester and didn't mention grape pies (the subject of another thread I mercifully won't re-create here....)

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 3:00 PM
South Jersey, I believe scrapple is a delicacy whose region coincides with Amish populations. I have seen it as far west as Gettysburg and as far south as Sussex County Delaware. I most recently bought a loaf from an Amish weekend sale here at the Dutch Market on rt 70 in Evesham, and concluded that the scrapple boundary might very well coincide with Amish-settled areas. One more unique food, truly unique to maybe a 30 mile radius, is the Tarantini Panzarotti, which, essentially is a deep-fried calzone. This dish is extremely tasty, and uniquely South Jersey. My friends and family in North Jersey look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe it to them.

KimChee43
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 3:04 PM
Just remembered two more from the Chicago area...Shrimp de Jonghe and Chicken Vesuvio.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 3:11 PM
In Nova Scotia gravy is routinely served with French Fries.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 6:21 PM
living at the northeast edge of Pennsylvanias lehigh valley we have an interesting overlap of regional cuisines. We are still(barely) part of the pennsylvania dutch country and thus such delicacies as shoe fly pie and chow chow are commonly available, at local restaurants along with (less commonly) such dutch dishes as pigs stomach and red beet eggs. (By the way ruby rose you havn't lived until you've tried browned butter on egg noodles). We are also part of the pierogie belt and virtually every diner serves them as a side dish(Usually Mrs. T'S frozen perogies unfortunately) .But the one dish unique to our little area is pasties. Introduced by cornish slate quariers who would take them down into the quarry holes as lunch pastys have become the signature cuisine of our area known popularly as the Slate Belt They are on the menu in every diner in the area, are a frequent church fund raiser,and there are even two local retail outlets- Maries pasties- a store front bakery and MR. Pastie which sells fresh pasties locally, and frozen pasties to supermarkets.

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1086
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 6:36 PM
Brookquarry, my former mother-in-law hails originally from Duluth, Minnesota, and when I lived in California she constantly served pasties...and she said they were unique to Minnesota! Hmmm...

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 6:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Brookquarry, my former mother-in-law hails originally from Duluth, Minnesota, and when I lived in California she constantly served pasties...and she said they were unique to Minnesota! Hmmm...

From what I understand, they are also unique to Michigan and Montana.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 7:24 PM
In East Tennessee, it is definately country ham, grits, collards, corn bread, fried corn, fried okra, country sausage, fried eggs in sausage oil, sausage gravy, green beans, tomatoes, onions, blackberry pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, bisquits and whatever.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 7:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

In East Tennessee, it is difinately country ham, grits, collards, corn bread, fried corn, fried okra, country sausage, fried eggs in sausage oil, sausage gravy, green beans, tomatoes, onions, blackberry pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, bisquits and whatever.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Yumm!

I can hear my arteries clogging already!

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 9:35 PM
I'm not sure if this is unique to this area, but at least I've never seen it elsewhere. In western Wisconsin, many of the churches and non-profit organizations do chicken-ques as fundraisers. Chicken halves are grilled over coals and brushed with a butter/salt/seasoning mixture. They're most often served with potato salad, baked beans and coleslaw but some places do potatoes baked in foil instead of the potato salad. For $6.00 that's a pretty hearty lunch. There are a couple of local caterers that specialize in it. They do the chickens for a lot of the non-profit organizations, but most of the churches use home-grown labor for the grilling.

Another local item (I think) is the potato chip sandwich, but you won't find them in restaurants. You'd probably have to go to a funeral in the area to get them. It's church-basement food. You mix equal amounts of Cheese Whiz and butter, spread it on light rye, press in potato chips and serve open-faced.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 10:47 PM
Dearfolk,
These immediately come to mind:
Livermush - my favorite breakfast food - served with eggs, naturally. Common in Piedmont North Carolina, Upstate South Carolina, and leaking over state lines a tad here and there. Made with pork liver, cornmeal, and spices. Makes a right nice sandwich, too.
Goetta - second cousin of the above. Common breakfast fare in the Cincinnati area. Uses oats instead of cornmeal, although I don't know what meat is used: probably pork.
Barbecued Mutton - ubiquitous in the area of Owensboro, Paducah, and Henderson, Kentucky and Evansville, Indiana. Served with a unique sauce called Black Dip. The favored side disk is Burgoo, a spicy stew similar to:
Brunswick Stew - a common side dish with barbecue in the South; may have originated in Brunswick County, Virginia, in North Carolina, or elsewhere. Consists shredded pork and chicken, plus a slew of vegetables (okra, corn, and tomatoes most usually).
Chicken Mull - a variation on chicken soup found in N/E Georgia and adjacent Upstate South Carolina. It's simply chicken stewed with a thickener and minimal spices. I refer to it as Pentecostal Penicillin because it is often served at Holiness Church homecomings up the road from here. In Oconee County, Georgia, the Disciples Of Christ churches (who are not Pentecostals) have it, too. So do several fire departments - at "fund raisin'" time!
Cornbread cooked on the grill: flat - the commonest variety around Nashville, Tennessee.
Mustard-based barbecue sauce - the preferred version in much of the central part of South Carolina, and - magically - it reappears with similar ubiquity in and around Columbus, Georgia. I prefer the brown mustard version, myself: more "oomph".
Cole slaw on a barbecue sandwich - what you'll get in Piedmont North Carolina unless you ask it off. Outlanders find this custom appalling, but I have grown to appreciate it. Which reminds me:
Red slaw - served in the Lexington, North Carolina area. Contains more vinegar than any self-respecting salad ever was dosed with.
Hush puppies - fried bits of seasoned corn meal that were tossed to the dogs while families were eating so as to quiet and pacify them until the meal was done.
Swamp cabbage - the growing heart of the palm tree, served in parts of rural Florida and greatly resembling regular old steamed cabbage.
Those are all that immediately come to mind. This spacer bar doesn't wanttowork.
Food For Thinkingly, Ort. Carlton in Southern Fried Athens, Georgia.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Thu, 09/11/03 11:03 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

From what I understand, they are also unique to Michigan and Montana.

Anywhere you find the Welsh miners you will find the pastie, for that is where they come from. They were a way for the miner to take a meal with him into the mine.

As to Maryland - steamed crabs, yes, but also Maryland crab soup, made from scratch with crab bodies & claws, not just crab meat dumped into vegetable soup. Maryland fried chicken, Bergers cookies - an excuse for eating lots of chocolate icing(available in most groceries & convenience stores in the Baltimore area)http://www.bergercookies.com/index.htm. Pit Beef sandwiches - pit grilled beef served on a kaiser roll with horseradish & BBQ sauce - found in multiple stands around Baltimore but most notibly out Pulaski Highway

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 3:46 AM
I lived in Russell, Kansas, for nine months (that seemed like nine years) in the early '80s. My junior high cafeteria served a local specialty called a bierock, which was what I'd known growing up in Colorado as a cabbageburger: shredded cabbage, ground beef, onions and salt cooked together and then encased in a dough that's similar to the kind of only lightly-sweetened kolache dough that you most often find in my ancestral homeland of central Texas wrapped arround smoked sausages.

In retrospect, this sounds pretty good, but as a kid, I hated these things. The fact that I publicly expressed distaste for bierocks was only one of many reasons why I was treated as a pariah at that school.

Living in Boston now, I can think of two local specialties that I've only ever seen in Chinese restaurants here:

1. Peking ravioli, commonly known locally as "ravs." Basically, these are potstickers, but they're fried browner and crisper than you see potstickers done in the rest of the country, and they tend to have a very gingery filling. This is extremely old-school Boston Chinese, now found only at the places where the chefs were taught by Joyce Chen herself.

2. Periwinkles, sometimes on the menu as "sea snails." This is probably a Cantonese thing, but because Boston's Chinatown is the only one I've become familiar with that's predominantly Cantonese rather than Schezwan, Boston is the only city in North America where I can be assured that I'll find periwinkles on the menu. (I'm told they're popular in Vancouver as well -- perhaps the first generations of Cantonese immigrants gravitated towards coastal cities to remind them of home!) They come piled about six inches high on the platter, little shells that look like miniature escargot, usually in a hot chili and black bean sauce with lotsa garlic. They give you a bowl of toothpicks and you go to it, picking up a shell and digging the toothpick on in there to spear the little nugget of meat. This is the sort of meal you order when you don't mind taking a while and you've got good conversational partners.

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 8:18 AM
ocdreamer is right about pasties being a miners meal,except my understanding has been that it was cornish miners (from Cornwall in England) that introduced the dish to America. In our area slate qauriers of other ethnic backgrounds-Italian, Welsh, Pennsylvania Dutch, rapidly adopted the dish and it is now ubiquitous.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 8:55 AM
A somewhat "unique" item for central Texas may be Migas (eggs scrambled with tortilla chips, hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, topped with cheese). I have heard the claim that they were "invented" at an Austin restaurant, but I don't know if that's true. Generally a breakfast item, many restaurants serve them any time of day.

Other foods around here that might be considered "best of" would include brisket, huevos rancheros, breakfast tacos, chicken-fried steak, and Tex-Mex in general. Because of the heavy Czech and German influences around the area, we have some wonderful sausages available.

(Did you ever consider that sausage may be the "universal" food Seems like every place on earth has their own way of doing sausages, and everyone thinks theirs is the best.)

If you're ever down here in early summer, Texas Hill Country Peaches (freestone) are about the best in the country. In late fall, Texas pecans are available and yummy.

Not a food item, but in March/April, the Bluebonnets are in bloom along the highways and fields. Depending on prior rainfall, the thickness will vary, but on a good year, there is little on the earth that is as beautiful as a field of Bluebonnets. Like looking across a blue ocean...

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:03 AM
I think we are very lucky in Texas, as we have so many food influences from either our sister states or the large communites of Czech/German/Alsation descent, and of course Mexico.

I would have to say that the roots of Texas cooking would be similiar to those listed by the Sundancer and other posters from the south, good country cooking with an emphasis on economy.

Of course, Tex-Mex is our number one regional specialty, but it is not so regional anymore, but the best is still here.

Bushie - you did not mention Pecos cantelopes, our beautiful, sweet fruits from the arid Pecos Valley. There is something about the soil there that makes them the best in the world.

For a pure Texas traditional food not made anywhere anymore except festivals, I offer up
Son-of-a Gun stew. My great-uncle who cowboyed for years on the 6666 ranch used to cook this up in a big cast iron pot at family gatherings at my great-grandmothers. Not for the faint of heart.

Son-of-a-Gun Stew

1/4 pound beef suet, finely chopped
1 calf heart, cut in small pieces
1 calf liver, cut in small pieces
2 calf kidneys, cut in small pieces
Marrow gut, chopped
1 pound sweetbreads, simmered in salt water and membrane removed
1/2 pound brain, soaked in salt water, deveined and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 can of tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
Hot peppers, as desired

M&M
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

In Nova Scotia gravy is routinely served with French Fries.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

With cheese curds on top. Called poteen if I'm not mistaken.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

CHICAGO AREA: paper-thin pizza crust, Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago-style hotdogs, gyros, saganaki ("flaming cheese"--supposedly invented at the Parthenon in Chicago's Greektown), "thin" chili (similar to the kind served at Wendy's), a kind of casserole called something like "Mazzetti"?, which everybody's mom had a version of (elbow macaroni, canned tomatoes, hamburger, onion combined and baked in the oven is a typical version)

I never knew Italian beef was unique to Chicago ... until I moved away and couldn't find it anywhere. Heaven forbid I ever leave Connecticut to somewhere without hot lobster rolls!

Bushie
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Bushie - you did not mention Pecos cantelopes, our beautiful, sweet fruits from the arid Pecos Valley. There is something about the soil there that makes them the best in the world.

You're right. I also forgot to mention Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit!

Bushie
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern
[br
I never knew Italian beef was unique to Chicago ... until I moved away and couldn't find it anywhere.

We are extremely fortunate that a guy from Chicago opened up a place here called Lucky Dog. There are 3 or 4 locations now (one in Round Rock - Yes!), that serve Italian Beefs, Chicago Dogs, cheese fries, sausage sandwiches, etc. He "imports" all the right ingredients from Chicago, and it's wonderful to be able to get a version of everything here.

However, the Beefs just don't taste quite as good as Al's or Mr. Beef. Must be something in the water...

Lucky Bishop
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 3:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie
You're right. I also forgot to mention Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit!

I also haven't seen any mention of Kings Ranch Casserole, without which no Texas potluck would be complete.

KimChee43
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 4:12 PM
LUCKY BISHOP: Enlighten us, please! What is Kings Ranch Casserole? Would you share the recipe? You got me curious. Thanks!

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 4:27 PM
Here it is Kim. I don't know if Rotel is a staple in pantries around the country, but no Texas home is without it!

KING RANCH CHICKEN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:
1/4 cup margarine
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1 can (10 oz.) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
12 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large saucepan, cook pepper and
onion in melted margarine until tender, about 5 minutes. Add soups,
RO*TEL and chicken, stirring until well blended. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch
baking pan, alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheese, repeating
for three layers. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serves 8.

p.s. Sometimes I will use ground beef instead of chicken. This casserole freezes very well.

KimChee43
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 5:08 PM
LUCKY BISHOP: Many thanks for the recipe! Ro-Tel tomatoes are easy to find in my area. I'll definitely give it a try!

KimChee43
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 5:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KimChee43

LUCKY BISHOP: Many thanks for the recipe! Ro-Tel tomatoes are easy to find in my area. I'll definitely give it a try!

LONE STAR: Guess I have to see about getting a new eyeglass prescription! Thank YOU for the recipe! Best wishes.

ocdreamr
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 9:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

A somewhat "unique" item for central Texas may be Migas (eggs scrambled with tortilla chips, hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, topped with cheese). I have heard the claim that they were "invented" at an Austin restaurant, but I don't know if that's true. Generally a breakfast item, many restaurants serve them any time of day.

Bushie, my sister loves Migas, she gets them on the Island & in Port Isabel. Also she used to send my sister here in Baltimore & I a case of those Ruby Reds every year, but because of our blood pressure meds we have to limit our intake of grapefruit now, I really miss the Ruby Reds, They are so sweet you could eat them out of hand like an orange.

fummunda
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:51 PM
Kansas City here...BBQ in all its local variations: burnt ends, brisket, ribs, sausage, basically anything that once moved. Slow-smoked, with sauce (of a gazillion different varieties) slathered on the meat only upon serving. Gee whiz I guess I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!

goldsborscht
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 10:52 PM
Just came back from Montreal. As Sundance discussed, fries with gravy and cheese curd is huge there. Nasty on first bite, but starts to grow on you. I seeked it out everywhere. They even have poutine at McDonald's. Best was La Fleur. Also bbq chicken in Montreal is rotisserie chicken with slightly sweet brown gravy. Best is St. Hubert's. They also have bagels that I found better than NY's. The bagels taste more like pretzels, topped with sesame. Best was St. Viateurs. Also smoked meat, a form of pastrami, which again I found as good as Katz's. The legendary place for smoked meat is Schwartz's. Montreal is a real gold mine of Roadfood. Every little place has a lot of pride in their preparation, even fast food. It's amazing that this city exists.

ocdreamr
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Fri, 09/12/03 11:03 PM
Just thought of another Baltimore thing. Used to be easier to find than it is today. Coddie Cakes - fish cakes made from dried cod with mashed potato, must be served on saltines with mustard. These can still be found in local delis & bars. One local church makes them every friday & sells them by the tray full.

Bushie
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Sat, 09/13/03 12:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

...I really miss the Ruby Reds, They are so sweet you could eat them out of hand like an orange.
Hey OC, you're right about those Ruby Reds; they call them "orange-sweet" because they really are! (I wonder why grapefruit increases the potency of the BP medicine I've read about that before.)

Those "Coddie Cakes" you talked about sound very yummy!

Dipstick
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 11:38 AM
In Minnesota, the "Hotdish" is king. Several examples are:
-Tater Tot
-Hamburger & Noodle
-Pizza
-Seven Bean
-Chicken & Rice(sometimes called Chicken Continental)
-Kielbassa & Kraut
-Apple & Onion

Of course the one thing that is most well known in these parts is Lutefisk. In my opinion, avoid at all costs.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 12:13 PM
Growing up in western PA my mother used to make something called City Chicken. I believe it was a mixture of pork and veal, cubed, on a small wooden skewer which she floured then browned then braised with mushrooms. Anyone ever heard of this?

peppertree
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 12:55 PM
Philadelphia- Cheesesteak
NYC-Pizza
Texas-Chicken Fried Steak
Louisiana-Po Boy
Miami-Cuban sandwich

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 5:05 PM
In my native Connecticut, New Haven style pizza is perhaps the food most identified with the state. White clam pies, in particular, are a specialty. Along the coastline from West Haven to the Rhode Island border, lobster rolls drenched in butter (not the lobster salad type) are prevalent and sinful. Statewide, there is a very strong hot dog culture. Split buns, which add to the hot dog experience, are a Connecticut specialty that hasn't crossed over to too many, if any, other places. Also, steamed cheeseburgers, though found in only a small pocket of the state, are a true Connecticut treasure.

In my adopted area of Washington, DC, half smokes seem to be the only regional food of note. Dirty water types sold from carts on the street are repulsive and should be avoided at all costs. Finer versions can be had from Ben's Chili Bowl in the District and the much-less heralded Weenie Beanie in Arlington, Virginia.

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 5:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

In my native Connecticut, New Haven style pizza is perhaps the food most identified with the state. White clam pies, in particular, are a specialty. Along the coastline from West Haven to the Rhode Island border, lobster rolls drenched in butter (not the lobster salad type) are prevalent and sinful. Statewide, there is a very strong hot dog culture. Split buns, which add to the hot dog experience, are a Connecticut specialty that hasn't crossed over to too many, if any, other places. Also, steamed cheeseburgers, though found in only a small pocket of the state, are a true Connecticut treasure.

In my adopted area of Washington, DC, half smokes seem to be the only regional food of note. Dirty water types sold from carts on the street are repulsive and should be avoided at all costs. Finer versions can be had from Ben's Chili Bowl in the District and the much-less heralded Weenie Beanie in Arlington, Virginia.

How about chicken pies in Central Connecticut and Bean Pies in DC? I remember a few years ago being in DC and seeing alot of "Bean Pie" vendors.

Lucky Bishop
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 5:25 PM
Speaking of beans, the style of beans that I'm making for dinner tonight are part of my native Texan culture that I've never seen anywhere else: pintos cooked with tomato sauce, chorizo and chili powder until the beans are done, the chorizo has dissolved into mush and the sauce is thick and cordovan. Served with cornbread (or, if you're like me, the cornbread is crumbled into the bowl and the beans are ladled on top!) and whole scallions, with the leftover beans (always make twice as much as you're going to eat) getting turned into a pot of chili the next day, the leftovers of THAT either turned into a Frito pie or served over a pan of enchiladas, depending on how much is left.

Oh dear lord, I'm starving...

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 6:16 PM
I've wracked my brain and I can't think of a single unique food item we have here in the Hudson Valley - maybe it's just because the area is so cosmopolitan and has never been isolated from the rest of the food world. I'm sure the food historians and recreators will come up with some obscure old old Dutch dish that most of us have never heard of- but we're talking real people's food here on this site....

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 7:05 PM
Wandering - Anytime I've seen those miniature bean pies being sold on DC street corners, they are being sold by members of the Nation of Islam. I'm not sure if they are unique to DC or if they can be found wherever Farakhan has a presence. Anyhow, for many reasons that I won't go into here, I haven't tried one.

Chicken pies in Central, as well as Northeastern, CT. Good call.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

How about chicken pies in Central Connecticut and Bean Pies in DC? I remember a few years ago being in DC and seeing alot of "Bean Pie" vendors.

ocdreamr
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Mon, 09/15/03 10:07 PM
Ditto on the bean pies here in Baltimore, the nation of Islam guys in their Armani suits sell them on the street corners, never had one either.

Lucky Bishop, sounds like Ranchero beans to me, only I like smoked sausage & ham in there too! I Learned to love the ones at La Fogata in Nuevo Progresso so I have tried to duplicate them at home, not bad if I have to say so myself! Have some in the freezer now, Hmm, might make a good storm meal!

PCC
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 12:40 AM
quote from Lucky Bishop:

"I lived in Russell, Kansas, for nine months (that seemed like nine years) in the early '80s. My junior high cafeteria served a local specialty called a bierock, which was what I'd known growing up in Colorado as a cabbageburger: shredded cabbage, ground beef, onions and salt cooked together and then encased in a dough that's similar to the kind of only lightly-sweetened kolache dough that you most often find in my ancestral homeland of central Texas wrapped arround smoked sausages."

That cabbageburger/bierock is known as a runza in Nebraska. There is even a Runza chain restaurant here.

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 10:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

As to Maryland - steamed crabs, yes, but also Maryland crab soup, made from scratch with crab bodies & claws, not just crab meat dumped into vegetable soup. Maryland fried chicken, Bergers cookies - an excuse for eating lots of chocolate icing(available in most groceries & convenience stores in the Baltimore area)http://www.bergercookies.com/index.htm. Pit Beef sandwiches - pit grilled beef served on a kaiser roll with horseradish & BBQ sauce - found in multiple stands around Baltimore but most notibly out Pulaski Highway

Can't forget Cheseapeake Fries also known as old bay fries or vinegar fries.

KokomoJoe
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 1:37 PM
"Creamed Finandhaddie" comes to mind for me! From the Boston and New England area! This is smoked haddock (NOT smoked Cod!) that is put into a cream sauce and served over mashed potatoes and served piping hot w/ a big appetite! One of my "All Time Favorites"!
Codfish cakes also come to mind for a "regional food" in New England. (It's not a favorite of mine but we used to have them on Friday night along w/ baked beans (Boston...of course!!!)!
That (Boston Baked Beans) brings me to the next regional food thought..."Boston Brown Bread" which was served along w/ Baked Beans! This "Brown Bread" we find here in New England in a can (yes...a can...) in the super market, near the baked beans. B&M the company that makes the Baked Beans...also makes "Brown Bread"!Brown bread usually has raisins in it and you remove it whole from the can (by removing both ends). We used to "steam" it when I was a kid. Now you can "nuke" it! Serve it warm w/ butter w/ the baked beans! Yum! It's sort of like the sweet "quick breads" ie pumpkin and banana breads!There's mollassses in it I'm sure! Any of these bring back memories or thoughts of NE "regional foods"? Happy eating! KokomoJoe

alesrus
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 2:27 PM
Lucky Bishop

Frito pie ?? Sounds Good ! Would you mind telling us more about it??

Lucky Bishop
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 2:54 PM
Oh, dear lord, I keep forgetting that not everyone knows about Frito Pie.

In its simplest form, it's a small bag of Fritos cut open on the side with a ladle of chili poured in and topped with mild cheddar cheese. This is what you get at snack bars and concession stands around the southwest, and the canonical version.

There's also a homestyle version that's basically a casserole of chili and Fritos mixed together and spread in a pan, then topped heavily with cheese and baked for about 20 minutes.

wanderingjew
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 3:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Oh, dear lord, I keep forgetting that not everyone knows about Frito Pie.

In its simplest form, it's a small bag of Fritos cut open on the side with a ladle of chili poured in and topped with mild cheddar cheese. This is what you get at snack bars and concession stands around the southwest, and the canonical version.

There's also a homestyle version that's basically a casserole of chili and Fritos mixed together and spread in a pan, then topped heavily with cheese and baked for about 20 minutes.

I remember the first time I had frito pie. I was en route moving from Seattle to Pittsburgh back in January '96. I took the southern route thinking I would avoid the torrential snow in the mountain passes of Idaho and Montana. I couldn't deal with the thought of putting chains on my tires. Well everything was fine until I hit Oklahoma City. The day after I arrived I hit a snow storm with 15 degree temperatures and 30 mph winds. Of course in Oklahoma, no one ever heard of sand, salt and snow plows. I managed to drive 100 miles to Tulsa on solid ice and checked into the Econolodge after stopping at the metro diner for a chicken fried steak lunch (why I remember this I'll never know) Anyway, there was take out joint across from the motel which had bbq, frito pie, etc. I tried the frito pie, and If I can recall, it had raw onions in them. It was quite good. But unfortunately I haven't had frito pie since.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 3:29 PM
I've had bean pie often and its GOOD! The first i had was at the Black Muslim Bakery in Oakland/Berekely years ago. Recently i have seen a guy from LA--not a Nation Islam follower,who is "The Bean Pie Guy" --he is a very good vendor at Blues Festivals on the west coast and i make it a point to grab one of his pies whenever i see him. I may have a recipe that i got from a soulfood recipe swap site,if anyone is interested let me know and i will ferret it out oif the bowls of my computer.

SpicyJenny
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 7:38 PM
Here in South Florida, Black Bean Soup seems to be on most lunch/dinner menus. Of course, due to our large Cuban American population, there are plenty of Cuban restaurants. But, that Black Bean Soup shows up just about everywhere, regardless of the type of eatery.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Unique Regional Cuisine Defined by Location - Tue, 09/16/03 8:35 PM
Dearfolk,
Has anyone ever heard of Nestlerode Pudding? My Mother was originally from Ohio, and she extolled it as a local specialty around where she grew up (Oxford/Middletown/Hamilton). Apparently it didn't travel very far, because I've seen almost no reference to it anywhere. Has anyone got a recipe/story/anecdote/antedote?
Not Pudding Y'all On, Ort. Carlton, Along The Nestle Road To Athens, Georgia.
P. S. There is not apparently any connection to the food purveyor Nestle'... pure happenstance.

Change Page: 123456789 > | Showing page 1 of 9, messages 1 to 60 of 491