Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA

waltpiii
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points : 0
Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 10:41 AM
My wife and I stopped at George's for lunch yesterday. I have three with the works (mustard, coney sauce and onion); my wife had two with mustard and pickle relish ( I know but I love her anyway.)

The dogs were great! Grilled, with a steamed bun. The Coney Sauce had the right amount of spice but was a little drier than what I prefer. All in all, it was a great lunch.

Having grown up in the Albany, NY area, with Famous Lunch, Hot Dog Charlies and Gus's, the sauce was close to their taste and the best that I have found in New England.

Walt

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 11:07 AM
Walt, I LOVE that place. Total dive, totally packed at lunch, totally incredible chili dogs!

essvee
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 11:25 AM
I may have eaten my weight in chili dogs when I lived in Wormtown. I have in my clutches a Coney Island Hot Dogs (never knew anyone who called it George's; that was for the bar next door), wait for it, Christmas tree ornament. It is one of my most cherished possessions.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 11:39 AM
There are a couple of George's Coney Island places in Columbus. At least there used to be. I've not been to one in about 15 years.

waltpiii
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 11:52 AM
I called it George's Coney Island because that is how it is listed on this site. The Yellow pages list it as Coney Island Lunch.

Walt

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 12:18 PM
I love this place and try to stop whenever I am heading north thru Worcester. A couple of chili dogs, a bag of wachusett chips, and a chocolate milk is one of the best lunches I can think of!

You made me real hungry just thinking about this!

Star0082
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/6/07 1:59 PM
WOW ! George's Coney Island Hot Dogs are just about the finest treat I can give my self since moving from the Pittsfield area to Central Mass. I use to spend my youth chowing down on Teo's and Hot Dog Ranch hot dogs in Pittsfield and they were the only places that I had experienced the Greek hot dog sauce until I went to Coney Island in Worcester. I think a previous post was right, the name George is posted over the enterance to the bar but just happens to be right under the LARGE neon sign that states " Coney Island Hot Dogs. It's a great spot filled with about a century of history and if anyone is in the area it is a must go to place. Tom

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 12/7/07 12:32 AM
Thank goodness someone mentioned the wonderful neon sign dripping mustard.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 12/7/07 8:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

This one??

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 12/7/07 6:29 PM
I'm not signman for nothing.

Wistah
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Wed, 12/19/07 8:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Star0082

WOW ! George's Coney Island Hot Dogs are just about the finest treat I can give my self since moving from the Pittsfield area to Central Mass. I use to spend my youth chowing down on Teo's and Hot Dog Ranch hot dogs in Pittsfield and they were the only places that I had experienced the Greek hot dog sauce until I went to Coney Island in Worcester. I think a previous post was right, the name George is posted over the enterance to the bar but just happens to be right under the LARGE neon sign that states " Coney Island Hot Dogs. It's a great spot filled with about a century of history and if anyone is in the area it is a must go to place. Tom

Not to change the topic, but if you ever get to Attleboro or Taunton,try Tex Ritter's Coney Island.

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Thu, 12/20/07 3:01 PM
I've been there within the last several months. It is good, but it is not my favorite. If you are doing a hot dog tour of the Worcester area, be sure to check out Hot Dog Annies, and Moe's hot dog truck too. Moe, at the side of the road near McDonalds on Grafton St is IMO, the best. I think that they all start with the same Kayem franks (I could be wrong), but when served, Moes are just a little better.

bigdog540
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 12/21/07 10:09 AM
I've got to agree with tmiles. Moe puts out a superior dog to the others mentioned. The difference between the Kayem at Moe's and the Kayem at Coney Island is two-fold. Moe serves a Natural Casing, 8 to a lb. griddled on a toasted N.E. style roll. The N/C Kayem gives a nice snap and the griddling gives a perfect beef/pork dog presentation.

Coney Island has Kayem skinnies, a skinless 12 to a lb. dog served griddled in a steamed coney style roll. The skinless dog can't compare to a N/C. What Coney Island has is a superior chili sauce, none like it in the Worcester area. I grew up on Coney Island dogs, so there's a sentimental attachment to the place and the dogs. And the sign is a classic.

There's nothing wrong with either of these dogs, just what your personal preference dictates. Given a choice I'd be hard pressed to decide. These are both top shelf dogs.

tmiles
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Wed, 06/13/12 5:09 PM
Hot Dog Annies use the smaller dogs too. I got out there yesterday.........I combined it with a trip to a new section of the Mass Central Rail Trail in Rutland. (some interesting cuts and fills for a hand built/black powder construction job)

Annies has continued to improve since new management came in 5 or 6 yrs ago. The dogs are perfect, service is friendly, and the parking lot has been rebuilt. Free WiFi too. A good stop on  a Massachusetts drive.
<message edited by tmiles on Wed, 06/13/12 5:10 PM>

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Wed, 06/13/12 6:01 PM
Tony Bad

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by signman

This one??

Meanwhile ... when "the gang" got together last month ... we went to George's and I asked for "a dog with sauce, mustard and onions" and the people behind the counter told me "THAT'S A CONEY!!!" ... I told them I knew that, but I was being precise because their trademark neon sign depicts a plain dog with only mustard.
They all stammered for a moment and revealed (A) they'd never thought about that, and (B) (obviously) nobody ever pointed that out before.

<message edited by wheregreggeats.com on Wed, 06/13/12 6:03 PM>

tmiles
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 06/29/12 6:50 AM
In an attempt to get some of the dog business, Meola's in nearby West Boylston has been offering a 2 dog, chips and soda for $2. Don't bother, unless you are passing by anyway and really hungry. This thread started with Georges, a justly famous hot doggery, and I moved it on to Moes and Hot Dog Annies. These 3 places serve world class dogs , and combined would be an interesting trip for out of towners looking to check out the Worcester area scene. IMO, to get on the list is hard.........doggers come and go........and some have even been good, but the 3 are hard to beat. They do it with quality, quality, and fair pricing. You can spend a lot less, percentage wise, at a place like Meola's, but Moe's long running special at $5, is a good deal and a lot of fun.

mdphilippbar
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Fri, 06/29/12 7:52 AM
I've`been stopping at George's Coney Island since first reading about it in Roadfood.com. Its a unique place with a distinct and Delicious product. I have to drive 3 hours to get there but I would  go about 3 times per year. Then I discovered A&G Texas weiners in Catskill,NY. In my opinion, thier chili sauce is every bit as great as Georges, and Its right in my own town. It is a fine ground, nicely spiced sauce that they put on a Groat and Wiegle Dog. Well worth a trip.

Skipcanavan
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Geoge's Coney Island in Worcester, MA - Wed, 07/4/12 10:42 PM
Wistah

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by Star0082

Not to change the topic, but if you ever get to Attleboro or Taunton,try Tex Ritter's Coney Island.

You mean Tex Barry's. I grew up in Taunton and on the rare trips home they are a must stop along with Chow Mein sandwiches.