butter in chicken wing sauce

Junior Burger
2007/12/07 21:25:03
this may be a noob question but why do u put butter in the chicken wing sauce
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/07 22:02:51
For both flavor and it helps to bind the sauce to the wings. The same principal as to why arteries get blocked. Actually, I've found that margerine works better. It's the only thing I use margerine for.
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 14:04:06
Are you kidding? Mix some melted butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. Saturate your chicken wings with that, and you will be in wing heaven, LOL.
rainroosty
Junior Burger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 15:10:30
Ohhhh yeah! Gonna make a BIG batch tomorrow for football Sunday, only we use Crystal louisiana
hot sauce!
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 15:34:39
I use the butter/Crystal combination with the addition of a healthy dose of this stuff. Give it a try. pb

http://www.luzianne.com/template_buy_product.cfm?ID=64
goodeatsfan
Junior Burger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 16:05:33
is franks hot sauce the same that was used in the original wings at the anchor bar?
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 18:00:23
quote:
Originally posted by goodeatsfan

is franks hot sauce the same that was used in the original wings at the anchor bar?
As I understand it, yes.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 18:10:31
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:

As I understand it, yes.

Years ago I called the Anchor Bar to find out exactly what they used, and they told me "Durkee's Hot Sauce"
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/08 20:47:53
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

As I understand it, yes.

Years ago I called the Anchor Bar to find out exactly what they used, and they told me "Durkee's Hot Sauce"

As I understand it Frank's and Durkee's is the same as Hellman's and Best Foods.

(But, I'll check up on that to be sure.)
dholk
Cheeseburger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/09 09:19:20
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

As I understand it, yes.

I first started using what is now called Frank's Red Hot sauce in the early nineties. At that time it was called Durkee's Red Hot. I think the product was originally called Frank's Red Hot, then was Durkee's Red Hot, and then changed back to Frank's Red Hot in the mid to late 90s.
Russ Jackson
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/09 09:42:05
Texas Pete is very good also.I make wings by going straight from the fryer to a Big bowl with melted butter and a little sugar. Then to the Texas pete of Red Hot
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/10 13:30:07
I use Frank's hot sauce,butter, a little vinegar, then add about two tablespoons of Asian chili garlic sauce. Not too hot, not too sweet, just right. Came across this by accident when I ran out of Frank's and only had enough for half the batch of sauce. Maggi makes a good sauce, I can find it in Kroger.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/24 10:48:34
I went to school in Buffalo, and a local gave me her recipe for wings, which I have stuck with.

Basicly, it is 4:1:4 ratio of hot sauce, white vinegar, and butter. I have always found Frank's to have an odd, stale taste (which you can detect in the Anchor Bar wing sauce). I prefer Crystal, or Trappey's Bull.

Your taste may vary.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/27 11:49:50
butter helps to bind it to the chicken.
12oz franks, 1 stick butter and 1 oz tobasco will make the standard Buffalo wing (hot). "Fire" is 2 oz tobasco. Med is 1/2 oz, mild uses no tobasco.

This is more or less the Buffalo recipe, which comes from growing up in CNY/WNY, my buffalo family and friends, et al.

Margarine will make it watery.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: butter in chicken wing sauce 2007/12/27 13:31:39
Score, I do close to what you said but use 2 cups LA sauce to 1 stick of butter.

I cook legs and breasts in it also. Then I serve it, with the juice, over white rice. Weird I know but my family all likes it. It's one of the few things I cook that they will all eat.
Joe
3fan4evr
Hamburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 20:04:16
 I know it's not traditional, but Cholula is very good on wings. They have a tasty recipe on their website. I make a large batch and take it to work. They're gobbled up in no time.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 20:28:20
I do not use butter as I find it a little too greasey for our tastes. 

Dennis in Cary
JayL
Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 21:38:07
Another "side effect" of the butter is that it reduces the heat from the hot sauce.  Pepper capsicum is fat soluble.  The butter helps the heat in your mouth dissipate faster.

In general, not necessarily for wings, I like Crystal much better than Frank's.  I'd also buy Texas Pete before I drop good money on Frank's.
Beef&Fries
Hamburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 21:52:20
Always been a Frank's man ever since my first trip to the Anchor Bar 20 years ago, prefer it to Crystal, Texas Pete's and Tabasco, but hey that's my taste, great on eggs every morning, 6yr old daughter loves it on her eggs too, and wings of course, raising her right.

Franks & Durkee's is the same sauce, name just changed with corporate take-overs
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 22:09:20
Frank's & butter - that's how I learned to make wing sauce working in restaurants in the Falls in high school & college, and I still think this makes the best wing sauce.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 22:13:19
I'm a Crystal's hot Sauce man myself Jay, never did like Frank's and will use Texas Pete in a pinch. I tend to like to add a little sweet to my heat.

Lately though I have been doing something different though. I use my traditional Eastern NC vinegar based sauce, add a dash of ketchup just to turn the color of it and start dip the wings in this modified vinegar sauce when they are half way done. After 2 dips I cut my heat back some and continue to cook until super tender. The wife and our friends swear by them.

Dennis in Cary

MellowRoast
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/03/31 23:04:22
Frank's is super and Crystal is an excellent standby.  Texas Pete goes in the trash.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/04/01 06:38:51
Franks and Butter....maybe a little tabasco if I want them a little spicier.
jellybear
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/04/01 07:40:55
Texas Pete,Franks,Louisanna Hot,Crystal Sirracchi Whatever I feel at the moment.
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/10 19:17:35
I bought the Anchor Bar wing sauce once (we have it in stores locally), and didn't care for it. I like to use half Franks, half Tapatio, and butter.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/10 20:18:53
We used margarine, Frank's Hot Sauce and dry seasonings; garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, pepper, basil and oregano.  But no matter how much Franks we added, it was never hot enough for our customers.

So we started cooking the sauce and adding a pepper mash of red dried Chinese peppers that we'd put through the blender with the seeds.  We cooked it and strained the peppers and that became our medium sauce.  

Our hot sauce had the pepper mash added back into it.  I don't know how people ate it, but they loved it.  Still there were those who still said that wasn't hot enough! 

Never used habeneros.  I don't know if there is anything hotter.  But, the guy on the Travel Channel did a show where he was really sweating!  Great show! 
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/10 20:23:56
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/11 07:51:38
For hot wings, I'll stick with the original idea:  Franks and butter.  One thing that may help those who think butter makes for a greasy result is to use a higher quality butter.  There are some store brands (and a lot of butter in restaurants) that are not worth the trouble.  Margarine is then comparable or even better.  For those where they are available, Land O Lakes and Costco's Kirtland butters are both good.   Always use an unsalted butter.  Add salt if you want, but don't depend on the butter for that job.

I like most of the hot sauces named above for other uses and have tried them at one time or another.  Generally I ask for "what ever is handy" if hot sauce is not on the table.  Tabasco is always welcome, a standard, but I guess many places cut corners with some of the others.  Franks would be welcome also but I don't see it as often.  Ditto for the Siracha, whick generally I see only in Thai places and Cholula which is genrally limited to Mexican places. 

One thing, if you want to season the chicken in the hot wings, and not just make for a more piquant sauce, season the chicken before cooking,  Trying to add salt or pepper after is never so effective.
post edited by Born in OKC - 2009/06/11 07:53:21
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/11 09:24:35
Butter is the key ingrediant...nothing else.
Rusty246
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/11 10:11:34
Parkay sticks.  4 for mild , 3 for medium, 2 for hot and a 12 oz bottle of Crystal.
Kai31410
Junior Burger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/12 00:07:20

Ingredients:

1.5kg chicken wings (about 16 wings)
salt and black pepper, to taste
360ml barbecue sauce
60ml runny honey
2 tsp prepared English mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce, to taste

Chicken Wings in Barbecue Sauce Preparation:

Method: Wash the chicken and pat dry then cut off the wing tips (either discard or keep to make chicken stock). Now cut each wing at the joint to make tow sections then season all the wing parts with salt and pepper. Place the wings on a grill pan and grill on medium heat for about 20 minutes (10 minutes per side) or until the chicken is brown.
Transfer the coloured chicken pieces to a [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: georgia,divona,bitstream charter,john baskerville,baskerville; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]slow cooker (crockpot). Whisk together all the remaining ingredients in a bowl to combine then pour over the chicken wings. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours (or on high for 2 hours). Serve hot as an appetizer or with beer or a barbecue.
_______
tours from toronto to niagara falls
Singletreff Singlebörse

post edited by Kai31410 - 2009/06/12 04:55:15
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/12 11:24:14
Kai31410

Ingredients:

1.5kg chicken wings (about 16 wings)
salt and black pepper, to taste
360ml barbecue sauce
60ml runny honey
2 tsp prepared English mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce, to taste

Chicken Wings in Barbecue Sauce Preparation:

Method: Wash the chicken and pat dry then cut off the wing tips (either discard or keep to make chicken stock). Now cut each wing at the joint to make tow sections then season all the wing parts with salt and pepper. Place the wings on a grill pan and grill on medium heat for about 20 minutes (10 minutes per side) or until the chicken is brown.
Transfer the coloured chicken pieces to a [style="color: blue ! important; font-family: georgia,divona,bitstream charter,john baskerville,baskerville; font-weight: 400; font-size: 12px; position: static;"]slow cooker (crockpot). Whisk together all the remaining ingredients in a bowl to combine then pour over the chicken wings. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours (or on high for 2 hours). Serve hot as an appetizer or with beer or a barbecue.
_______
tours from toronto to niagara falls
Singletreff Singlebörse

The above bears no resemblence whatsoever to Buffalo chicken wings.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/13 07:21:25
I believe that the original was Frank's hot sauce and margerine.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/13 09:11:04
Anyone know if the Anchor Bar adds something more than just Frank's and butter/margarine to their super hot sauce?  Is it just more hot sauce and less butter/margarine in their mix? 
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:butter in chicken wing sauce 2009/06/15 11:18:25
ben, tobasco is the added heat.

typically, when making sauce, 20 oz Franks with 1 stick butter
mild: no tobasco
Medium: 1/2 ounce
Hot: 1 oz.
Fire: 2 oz.
1 oz. medium and 2 oz. Hot.
but again, this is with only 20oz (2 1/2 cups) of franks and 1 stick of butter. You'd have to readjust if you have a 32 oz bottle.
Anchor Bar uses margarine, but after years of tinkering with the recipe, I have found: 20oz (2 1/2 cups) Franks Original Red Hot Sauce, 1 stick butter and 1 oz. tobasco for 5 lbs of wings, to be the best combination. A good balance of tang and heat. For my more experienced wing eating friends, I've bumped up to 2 oz of tobasco, but it's generally too hot for a party crowd. After 2 oz, you lose the balance, and the tang begins to disappear. This is after extensive testing.

A note about "20oz.," See, back in the day, Franks was sold in 20 oz bottles.  Today, I think the bottles are 12 and 32 oz. today. Pain in the arse, for me, whose family recipe (which is more of a balance issue than a "recipe") had been perfected over several years to get the right proportions. This balance has been endorsed by a large contingent of WNY folks. Not only has bottle sizes changed, but to make matters worse, flash frozen chicken wings now come in 4 lb bags instead of 5 lb bags. Very irritating. Since my sauce is my sauce, I make the full batch of sauce, but cut out 20% at the end and save for other purpose.
post edited by Scorereader - 2009/06/15 11:33:35