2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information

Post
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
2007/12/08 18:27:11
The Saturday Eating Tour has sold out, but tickets are still available for Friday Night at Threadgill's:

Registered users of Roadfood.com can purchase here:
http://www.roadfood.com/MyRoadfood/store/austineatingtour/friday.aspx
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/08 18:29:49
To help compensate for the extra cost of the Saturday tour, I have arranged special rates for participants at the Sheraton Austin Hotel, which is a great place to stay. Standard rate is $359 per night. Roadfood tour people can book a room for $109/$119 (single/double) per night! Here's where to do so:

http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=0712074483&key=74D69
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/08 18:51:17

That is an awesome deal! Thanks Stephan.

Hope to see you there.


DD


ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 10:40:27
Stephen - Is the room rate only good for Friday and Saturday? I am trying to book Wednesday and Thursday but it locks me out. Gregg
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 11:06:06
While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 12:32:43
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Stephen - Is the room rate only good for Friday and Saturday? I am trying to book Wednesday and Thursday but it locks me out. Gregg
Yes, it is only for Friday and Saturday nights.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 13:25:25
As of 1:20 PM, the Eating Tour has 1 seat available and Friday night has 40 spots remaining. A quick glance at the attendee list shows many repeats. It's going to be great to see familiar faces!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 13:45:46
Yay!!! I got one of the last 4 tickets for the tour! See you all in Austin for the tour and the evening at Threadgill's.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 14:03:05
We're in for three each night as well as the Sheraton. Thanks for arranging all this Stephen!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 14:04:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!


Travelin Man - As I am coming down a few days early to get a tatse of things...I appreciate the information - Thanks!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 15:00:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Travelin Man

While I am unfortunately not able to attend this get-together, I did want to offer my own personal review of the Sheraton in Austin. I stayed there this past fall while attending a conference in Austin, and will say that it is a fine business/upscale hotel. It is a re-flagged Marriott property that was undergoing a full renovation when I was there in October. The rooms will all be fitted with nice flat-screen TVs and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are quite nice. Our room had a view of the Capital, which is well-lit at night. I believe that there might be a charge for parking there. It is located on the outskirts of downtown (near the UT campus), but I found it to be an easy walk to the Sixth Street entertainment district. Threadgills would be a bit of a hike, but taxis in Austin are not expensive (I don't know if there will be a bus provided for that event). Also, Stubb's BBQ is within easy walking distance. It makes for a nice hangout - though the BBQ is not on par with what you will have in Lockhart or Taylor the following day. Hoover's Cooking is just on the other side of UT and might warrant a taxi ride, too. It was easily one of my Top 10 meals that I had this year!

All in all, for the price, the Sheraton is a quality stay. If you are looking at other options outside of downtown, I have stayed at the Marriott on the north side, which is actually in Round Rock. It is nice, and usually available a little cheaper on weekends. I have also stayed at the Marriott on the south side, by the Austin airport - it, too, usually runs a few dollars less. For me, it wouldn't be about the money - just which points I would rather accumulate!


Travelin Man. I have stayed at the Marriot in Round Rock many times. The Courtyard and Springhill Suites. They are cheaper but I am not sure that they are any better rate than what Stephen has arranged at the Sheraton.

Your experience sounds real good to me and I particularly like the idea of staying in the downtown area. I am glad you have been there and I appreciate you report.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 15:11:27
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Yay!!! I got one of the last 4 tickets for the tour! See you all in Austin for the tour and the evening at Threadgill's.


I'm booked at the Sheraton as well for the 25th & 26th. I'll enjoy that more than staying with my son and his girl friend in Austin.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 15:11:40
If you can only get the room for Friday and Saturday nights, you might consider another place on the north side of town (i.e. the Marriott), if you don't mind moving once. There are a number of great places in areas like Georgetown and Hutto that are not included on the Saturday tour. Heck, Bushie showed me[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12520&whichpage=2']this place[/url] (scroll down a little ways to my trip report) the last time I was in town, and I would say that it is worth the drive! If you don't want to drop the coin on the Marriott, I think that there is a Wingate and a few other chain hotels up in that area. Al the Mayor, Sundancer, and Rick F. (I think) all stayed up that way the last time we were in town last Feb. and might have some more suggestions.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 15:13:28
Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 18:28:47
Wow! I can't believe how quickly the tour sold out today. Happy to say my cousin and I got our tickets for the tour and the get together at Threadgill's.

We are booked for the Sheraton, but for Friday night only. After the tour Saturday, we have to drive back to Houston for an early flight Sunday morning.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 18:36:57
Bummer. I got tickets to Threadgills but will probably follow along in my rental car on Saturday because i don't have internet access at work anymore Thus is life.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 23:07:21
mr chips-
I'm sorry to read you didn't get a ticket to the tour. Hopefully, one will open up and you can still join us on the bus.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 23:57:11
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.


plus a valet and/or self parking charge?
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/11 23:58:28
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Bummer. I got tickets to Threadgills but will probably follow along in my rental car on Saturday because i don't have internet access at work anymore Thus is life.


looks like we might have a caravan of tag-alongs..
as I got shut out already , as well...

any chance of a 2nd bus?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 00:01:39
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Btw, you can add $16.00 and change for taxes to that $109.00 (single) special rate.


plus a valet and/or self parking charge?


Not sure about the parking situation. But being it's a hotel, one guess about the parking charges.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 00:33:00
FYI - Frommer's website says the parking rates are $12 for self-park and $17 for valet (I assume those are per day charges). If you need to know for sure I'd recommend calling them directly.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 01:07:17
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

FYI - Frommer's website says the parking rates are $12 for self-park and $17 for valet (I assume those are per day charges). If you need to know for sure I'd recommend calling them directly.


As usual, another hotel rip-off!
flash407
Junior Burger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 08:23:18
will the caravan of drivers be a reality. if so, i am in with y'all.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 08:48:58
quote:
Originally posted by flash407

will the caravan of drivers be a reality. if so, i am in with y'all.


YES, it looks likes it will be a reality!!

These tickets sold out faster than a Hannah Montana concert!

P.S. Anybody got a big SUV?!?! We can load it up, and all share gas expenses, etc...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 08:49:41
My boss had the rental car on his bill, so I did not see the parking charges. There are not too many downtown areas where you will not be charged for parking, so, all things considered $12 isn't all that bad.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 08:57:11
I hate paying for parking at a hotel, but is standard if it is located in the downtown area of a city. I can tell you I have paid much more than $12.00 a night in New York and Chicago.
goodeater
Junior Burger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 10:31:56
the leanks provided do not allow me to even buy a ticket; i have tried to contact people at roadfood and have had no reply. i have paid for a membership at pay pal which was another hassle., now i reading that there are no tickets left this is adding up to a not so nice experience, can some one help. the links in the news letter do not work and the links on the web sight for the road trip sight do not work. even the links in the forum ge me to a sight that says sorry for roadfood insiders only; i have my recceipt and really would like to know what is going on, please someone help!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 10:55:28
Goodeater - I received a message from someone, but they never left an email or username, so I couldn't respond - perhaps it was you. The reason you don't have access is because you paid with an eCheck, and that takes several business days to clear (as mentioned on the sign-up page). As a courtesy, I will give you access with the assumption that the check will clear.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 10:59:17
First, welcome to Roadfood.com.
This is without a doubt, the very BEST forum on the web.
Don't give up hope. Stick with us. You will find it's worth the time. Especially if you are a real "food nut" like most of us here. Everything requires a "learning curve". This place is no different. But, well worth it.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 11:02:30
goodeater-
Welcome to Roadfood and we hope to see you in Austin!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 11:48:03
Ellen and Mr. Chips - If anyone in my party changes their mind, I will contact you with ticket availability. With all the folks on last year's tour, I did not get to meet either of you last year and look forward seeing you in Austin. I enjoy your postings throughout the year.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 11:54:30
As we seem to live in a world where complaints seem to outnumber compliments, I would like to relate my experience with the Roadfood sign-up. I was on-line at 1:00pm EST and clicked on the Saturday purchase, then the Friday night purchase and then two Sheraton hotel rooms. I was done in less than 5 minutes including printed copies of receipts and then received email confirmations from Sheraton and Paypal moments later.

While I have read the Paypal threads that seemed critical of Paypal, my experience worked great. I did log-in and check my password and credit card information the day before as a precaution.

All-in-all, a smooth and easy experience from my perspective.

Thanks to the Roadfood team for making it work!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/12 23:35:38
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Ellen and Mr. Chips - If anyone in my party changes their mind, I will contact you with ticket availability. With all the folks on last year's tour, I did not get to meet either of you last year and look forward seeing you in Austin. I enjoy your postings throughout the year.

I think I did meet you during the Nashville bus tour! We were standing in line at that restaurant that specialized in grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, and good burgers and biscuits..
(the one behind the gas station)

p.s. I might be getting lucky already, as I got a personal e-mail from a fellow roadfooder that has offered me his ticket !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/13 19:29:12
This may not be related but I have received several emails from some company that claims to be Paypal indicating that someone is trying to access my account. They wanted info. I refused to send it. That made me afraid to use Paypal.

Paul E. Smith
knxoville, TN
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/13 20:34:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

This may not be related but I have received several emails from some company that claims to be Paypal indicating that someone is trying to access my account. They wanted info. I refused to send it. That made me afraid to use Paypal.

Paul E. Smith
knxoville, TN


It has nothing to do with Paypal, it is an email scheme to get your paypal info so some lowlife can use your account to buy stuff.

You should report that activity to Paypal immediately. I've had similar emails claiming to be my bank or Visa/Mastercard. NEVER respond to those emails, ALWAYS call your bank or credit account and report it to them.

DD

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/14 09:12:59
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Ellen and Mr. Chips - If anyone in my party changes their mind, I will contact you with ticket availability. With all the folks on last year's tour, I did not get to meet either of you last year and look forward seeing you in Austin. I enjoy your postings throughout the year.

I think I did meet you during the Nashville bus tour! We were standing in line at that restaurant that specialized in grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, and good burgers and biscuits..
(the one behind the gas station)

p.s. I might be getting lucky already, as I got a personal e-mail from a fellow roadfooder that has offered me his ticket !


With bacon and tomato!!! I do remember, but it took the sandwich to jar it loose! Looking forward to another fun weekend! Glad to hear your going.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/14 20:10:28
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
Originally posted by flash407

will the caravan of drivers be a reality. if so, i am in with y'all.


YES, it looks likes it will be a reality!!

These tickets sold out faster than a Hannah Montana concert!

P.S. Anybody got a big SUV?!?! We can load it up, and all share gas expenses, etc...



I am willing to share gas and ride with someone. Count me in, send me an email if you want me to help.

peppertree5706@hotmail.com
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/16 08:02:20
I am curious.....what other Roadfooders are going to be in Austin?
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/16 12:30:49
I'm planning to be there. Bus is sold out, and may be just as well for me, as I cruised with a very nice couple from Lockhart in October, so may want to stay a bit and visit with them. They have lived there all their lives and know all the history of the 4 pits in town.

So as of now, I will be part of the "caravan" but expect to attend Friday night at Threadgills, even though my last meal there in February was very disappointing.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/16 12:44:13

I hope to be there, right now too far down the road to make a definite commitment. Should I make it, I'll have room in my vehicle if anyone needs a lift.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/16 17:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I'm planning to be there. Bus is sold out, and may be just as well for me, as I cruised with a very nice couple from Lockhart in October, so may want to stay a bit and visit with them. They have lived there all their lives and know all the history of the 4 pits in town.

So as of now, I will be part of the "caravan" but expect to attend Friday night at Threadgills, even though my last meal there in February was very disappointing.


I thought you were going to be in Mexico this weekend...
did you go down there yet?

Remember, I owe you a good meal in Austin.... hopefully I'll see you there...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/16 18:05:32

Paul,
Report any questionable emails to either paypl or ebay (whichever the fake claims to be... by forwarding the email to " SPOOF@Paypal.com" or " SPOOF@Ebay.com". Do Not respond to the email , just forward it to the security folks at those companies.
AL

BTW, We will not able to attend the Austin Meetings. Maybe next year.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/18 15:52:00
Mr. Mayor-
I'm disappointed to read you won't be in Austin.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2007/12/21 09:25:29
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

This may not be related but I have received several emails from some company that claims to be Paypal indicating that someone is trying to access my account. They wanted info. I refused to send it. That made me afraid to use Paypal.

Paul E. Smith
knxoville, TN

Paul,
I get emails like that all the time. TO verify that they are real, just log into the paypal site THRU YOUR BROWSER ON YOUR OWN, AND NOT THRU THE LINK in the email. I also log into my ebay account to verify mail sent. Most of those are phishing, and I NEVER click those links.
MOst of those emails are in my spam folder, and it makes me doubly skeptical.
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2008/02/04 10:51:08
No updates on this?

Keith
Scarchly
Junior Burger
RE: 2008 Austin Eating Tour - Ticketing Information 2008/04/19 23:23:36
I just kind of did my own self guided tour of Austin. I got down to Lockhart and had some fine brisket and garlic sausage at Black's. I've never seen anything like Smitty's anywhere. I got a sausage to go and ate it later at Antone's, where they're OK with outside food.

I stopped in for an early dinner of catfish, turnip greens, balck-eyed peas and cornbread at Threadgills, and met Jimmy Dale Gilmore. Commander Cody sat at the next table over. Just a cool coincidence.

Heard some great music as well.

Enjoy your tour!