Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland

Filet Mignon
2007/12/10 09:03:53
Two Brother's Cafe is in a nondescript location at S.E. 39th and Belmont, two busy arterials that many people often drive with the the idea of getting somewhere else(Portland's best Xmas lights are two blocks away at Peacock Lane and Portland's most eclectic video store Movie Madness is 4 blocks away) Savvy Portlanders have learned to stop at Two Brothers for fantastic food.
Trudy and I ate ther over the weekend(she forgot the camera). The cuisine seems to be a mix of all places of the former Yugoslavia. The owners are from Bosnia and our waiter was a charming young man who said he was from Split. One of the best signs of quality was that he and the cook spoke in a language I did not understand, always a good sign in an ethnic restaurant.
We started out dinner with a spinach Bosnian Pita. it reminded me of the dough encrusted pasties I have eaten at Chinese bakeries in Vancouver, B.C. It was pita dough, stretched out a little and deep fried, with a lot of spinach inside. Sour cream was served on the side. We managed to save a little for Sam but combination af Spinach, pita and sour cream was a taste treat.
Our main courses were Chevapi and a Balkan sandwich. Chevapi is described as Sarajevo style grilled ground meat rolls. it is served on pita bread with sides of sour cream, chopped onions and ajvar, a bright red relish of roasted red bell pepper. tomato, eggplant, onion and garlic paste. The taste was a heavenly mix that melted in your mouth.
The Balkan sandwich was two sudzuka link sausages(a combination of veal and beef) served on homesyle pita bread filled with spicey coleslaw, mayo, cukes and tomatoes. Again a combination of tastes, savory, not sweet and not particuliarly spicey hot. A great mix of tastes.
For dessert I had a rosehip jam crepe and trudy a baklava. The baklava was a bit darker and more candy-like that the Greek ones I am used to.
Our trusted waiter Peta encouraged me to try the regional beers, Nicksiscko from Montenegro was less hoppy and a touch bitter, Lasko from Slovenia a bit lighter and sweeter.
This was great food and my first taste of Bonian specialties. it will not be my last.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland 2007/12/10 09:19:48
Ironically, it is Three Brothers, the gift to Milwaukee:
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=558&RefID=558
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland 2008/01/24 07:44:45
Two Brothers sounds like one for my list next time I'm in the Rose City. No Bosnian places around here.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland 2008/01/24 07:47:37
Subsequent visits to Two Brothers have provided other delights. The Pljeskavica(Serbian burger) is a grilled meat patty served on a huge slice of pita bread with sides of sour cream, chopped onion and ajvar and it is one of the best burgers in Portland. Tomato soup with rice, onions and sour cream is a sensational taste, the cabbage rolls very good, the vegetarian version of pasulj(bean stew) is wonderful. Owners Miroslav and Gordana Vlaski serve remarkably good food and you should eat here if you visit Portland
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland 2008/01/24 08:11:13
Thanks to your descriptions, I'll eat there even if I'm only passing through on the way to Washington.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Two Brothers Cafe, Bosnia's Gift to Portland 2008/01/24 09:37:37
Chipper,
Next time you visit, ask them if they are related to the family in Milwaukee that operates Three Brothers. We had a great meal there in november.